watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (18.02.11)

Started by White Noise, February 18, 2011, 07:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/fa-cup/8332369/Fulham-v-Bolton-Wanderers-match-preview.html

Fulham v Bolton Wanderers: match preview

Read a full match preview of the FA Cup game between Fulham and Bolton Wanderers at Craven Cottage on Sunday Feb 20 2011, kick off 15.00 GMT.

By John Ley 6:00AM GMT 18 Feb 2011

Sunday, February 20

FA Cup, fifth round
Fulham v Bolton Wanderers
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 15.00 GMT
TV: Highlights, ITV1

Tale of the game

On Wednesday, a second-half strike by Ivan Klasnic earned Bolton a fifth round FA Cup tie against Fulham.

They are bidding to reach the fifth round for only the second time in five years, having knocked out York City in round three.

Fulham manager Mark Hughes holds the record for most FA Cup winners' medals claimed at Wembley.

In his playing career Hughes collected four winners' medal in five appearances.

In earlier rounds, Fulham have already scored 10 goals in two games, beating Peterborough 6-2 and Tottenham 4-0 with Moussa Dembele scoring four.

Past FA Cup meetings: Bolton 2 wins.

Stat of the game: Fulham are bidding to get to the quarter-finals of the FA Cup for the third year in succession.

Betting tip: Try a 1-0 home win.

Team details

Fulham (probable, 4-4-2): Schwarzer; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido; Dempsey, Sidwell, Murphy, Duff; A Johnson, Dembele.
Bolton Wanderers (probable, 4-4-2): Jaaskelainen; Ricketts, Wheater, G Cahill, Robinson; Taylor, Muamba, M Davies, Petrov; K Davies, Elmander.
Referee: Stuart Attwell. Matches: 18. R2 Y57.

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/new-feature-top-fives-danny-murphys-fulham-assists/

New feature: top fives! Danny Murphy's Fulham assists

Filed under: General — rich @ 3:21 pm

Inspired by Chopper's venture into listmaking...

Number 5:  four minutes on the clock at Stamford Bridge, Murphy sends Nevland clear, and Nevland did what Nevland did so well, and we're a goal up.  It didn't last (for Fulham or Nevland himself: Chelsea got 3; Nevland went off injured) – but for a moment there...

Number 4:  Stoke City at home, Murphy sends a booming long pass over the top, Dempsey takes it down expertly and then is taken down clumsily.  Penalty!   Dempsey persuades Murphy that he should take it, and then scores.  Tony Pulis cryptically suggests that Dempsey had been 'clever' in the penalty incident, as if being rugby tackled by two panicking centre-backs requires great deviousness.

Number 3:  Newcastle at home, a hell of a struggle, then in the second half Murphy gets the room he's craved all game and sends Duff clear, and the former Newcastle man bundles the ball home.   Phew.   This was great on a few levels: Newcastle had been squeezing space and harrassing like mad things, so for Murphy to spy the crack in the defence and take advantage so swiftly was fantastic, almost assassin like (waiting coolly for the moment, then *bang*), one of those "wow" moments that football does so well; it gave Duff a nice chance to respond to his critics in the north east, and of course provided the team with a valuable win.

Number 2:  The Europa League, so far, yet so far.  Mladen Petric's wondergoal is the difference between the sides, and for all the crowd input ("stand up, etc" – for some reason I still find that chant really annoying) it doesn't feel like it's happening.   Then Murphy drops the ball into Simon Davies' path and Davies somehow wriggles and juggles and knocks it home!  It's on!  Zoltan Gera pounces and we're going to Germany.

Number 1:  The dying embers of our Premiership life.  Jimmy Bullard is the midfielder everyone has been raving about, but Murphy's is the power behind the throne.   He really nearly springs Kamara through the pushed up City defensive line, only for (I think) Elano to intervene with a desperate interception.  But then another chance arises and this time Murphy's ball is inch perfect, Kamara races off and thrashes home the goal that gives us half a chance at staying up.  Wowzers.  Then of course Murphy completed the job in Portsmouth himself.

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/FACup5RoundCupHome.aspx

Fulham v Bolton tickets

FA Cup sponsored by E.ON

Sunday 20th February

Kick-Off 15:00

Join us this Sunday (Kick-Off 3pm) for a great afternoon of FA Cup Fifth Round action when Bolton visit the Cottage!

It's now six consecutive home matches without defeat for the Whites and they'll be full of confidence this weekend.

To allow as many Juniors to experience the buzz and excitement of live Cup football at the Cottage, we are offering Junior tickets for just £1! Adults can purchase theirs for only £20.

On-sale dates
Season Ticket Holders On sale (6 tickets)
Fulham Club Members On sale (6 tickets)
General Sale On sale (6 tickets)
Loyalty points: 5 (more info)| 

Supporters on the Home Cup Scheme will automatically be debited and tickets will be loaded on to Season Ticket cards. If you are on the home cup tie and your card has expired or changed recently please contact the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 (option 3) to update your details.

Buy tickets online|

How to Buy Tickets
Pay on the Gate
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 0207 384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form ) * Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

Prices   
NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to  book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 opt 3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Ticket Prices   Price 
Adults   £20 
Concessions (16 to under 21 & over 65)   £10 
Juniors (under 16)   £1 (£5 on matchday) 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/FACup5RoundCupHome.aspx#ixzz1EICzwo9W

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17022011/63/riise-hopes-boost-international-prospects.html

Riise hopes to boost international prospects

Thu, 17 Feb 13:38:59 2011

Sheffield United's new loan signing Bjorn Helge Riise is hoping to safeguard his international career with a move to Bramall Lane.

Fulham midfielder Riise, younger brother of former Liverpool player John Arne Riise, made a brief substitute appearance in the midweek draw with Reading after joining the Blades until the end of the season.

The 27-year-old, told by Norway coach Egil Olsen he needs regular first-team football after languishing in Fulham's reserves, said: "The move here is a chance for me to play matches and show everyone my ability.

"I have to think about my international future so playing games for Sheffield United is hopefully going to secure my place in the Norway squad.

"Dropping a division doesn't concern me because I have spoken to a lot of people, including my brother (John Arne), who has played against the Blades for Liverpool and it's a really good club, with a good stadium and excellent supporters."

White Noise

http://www.darlington.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=232099

Burn linked with Fulham

It has emerged that Premiership side Fulham have been watching Quakers young central half Dan Burn. Burn who recently broke into the first team has impressed at centre half alongside club captain Ian Miller in recent outings. The 18 year old defender has only started 4 games for Darlo this term however his potential has obviously been noticed as the teenager is already attracting the attention of cottagers boss Mark Hughes.

Burn initially came into the first eleven to deputise for the cup tied Adam Quinn in Darlington`s F.A Trophy games however the youngster kept his place the side after looking comfortable at the heart of the Quakers defence. Darlo have only conceded 1 goal in Burn`s 3 recent appearances and the 6ft6 defender looks set to remain in the side for the immediate future.

Darlo travel away to Forest Green Rovers this weekend and the Londoners could well send a scout to watch the young defender at the New Lawn ground in Gloucestershire. Darlington boss Mark Cooper has given a number of the clubs youth team players first team opportunities this campaign and it certainly seems that his decision to introduce Burn to senior football has been great success for all concerned.

It would appear that Fulham have a first class scouting network across the whole of England as it was the side from Craven Cottage who spotted David Stockdale`s potential back in 2008. The Cottagers paid Darlo an initial fee of £350,000 (rising up to £600,000) for the talented custodian who has recently been included in Fabio Capello's England squad. I believe that Quakers would be looking for a similar figure for Burn as the tall central defender come left back has a great deal of promise.

Read more: http://www.darlington.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=232099#ixzz1EEEzMJAC

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/5324/3/tottenham-blackburn-and-fulham-eye-real-madrid-starlet?

Tottenham, Blackburn and Fulham eye up Real Madrid starlet

Three Premier League clubs are in the hunt for Real Madrid starlet Sergio Aguza, according to reports in Spain.

Tottenham, Blackburn and Fulham are thought to have all sent scouts to watch the gifted midfielder, who is currently part of the Real Madrid A team.

Aguza has caught the eye with his all-action, box-to-box style and an impressive goals tally from the centre of midfield.

The Barcelona-born youngster only joined Real in 2008 from Spanish Fourth Division side Cornella, and he is thought to have a bright future at the Bernabeu.

But Real could be tempted to cash in on a largely unproven player should Spurs, Blackburn or Fulham firm up their interest with a summer bid.

White Noise

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/cottagers-back-on-swp-alert-1167534.html?

Cottagers back on SWP alert

Fulham may be alerted by Shaun Wright-Phillips's hint he could leave Man City after saying he does not feel he can do a job for them.
The 29-year-old England international winger was set to leave Eastlands in the January transfer window with Cottagers boss Mark Hughes interested in signing him. But he ended up being kept on board by City boss Roberto Mancini after Adam Johnson suffered a long-term ankle injury.

Wright-Phillips has still only been used sparingly in the Premier League, although he did start in Tuesday's Europa League stalemate against Aris Salonika.

However, the former Chelsea star revealed that he is now just focused on trying to play as much football between now and the end of the season when he will then assess his options. But, it does look like Wright-Phillips will be leaving City given that he feels unwanted by Mancini.

Wright-Phillips, whose exit hint could alert Bolton who also wanted to sign him in January, told the Mirror: "To be quite honest, I'm here for three months and my heart is set on playing well for that period until the end of the season.

"Until the season is over, there's nothing much I can really say on the matter. I'm playing for City and that's the main thing.

"I don't do too much talking, I let my feet do that for me and that's what I plan on doing. I never think short-term or long-term.

"I don't feel I can do a job for the club, I know I can do a job for the club. And there's a big difference between feeling and knowing. I know what I'm capable of, so it's just a question of whether the club want me or not."

White Noise

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/wanderersnews/8861100.Wheater_can_keep_out_Fulham__says_Cahill/

Wheater can keep out Fulham, says Cahill

7:00am Friday 18th February 2011

GARY Cahill has backed himself and David Wheater to lock Fulham out of their FA Cup clash on Sunday.

Since being paired together for the first time against Everton last weekend because of Zat Knight's knee injury, the duo have yet to concede a goal - helping Wanderers to two victories in four days.

And although the partnership is only three hours old, Cahill has already seen enough of the £2.2million signing to maintain high hopes of another shut out in West London this weekend.

"Wheats was fantastic when he came on against Everton and at Wigan it was no different," he said. "I was really impressed.

"Zat's absence has given David his chance and he has taken it with both hands. Long may it continue.

"It's a different partnership but one I am enjoying. We defended well.

"We have kept a couple of clean sheets which is pleasing and we hope that continues."

Wanderers head into the fifth round tie with just one victory over the Cottagers in their last 12 games.

A defensive crisis sparked by injuries to Knight and Sam Ricketts in the last week has potentially made the task a tougher one, although Cahill believes the reshuffle made at Wigan - which involved Paul Robinson moving to right back and Marcos Alonso at left back - worked well.

"To lose two big players like Zat and Sam in back to back games is a big blow," he said.

"Robbo has got bags and bags of experience and I don't think it was a problem, for him to go over. He just slotted in perfectly well.

"Marcos came on and got to grips with the pace of the game well on a difficult playing surface.

"I wasn't aware of record at Fulham but I know they play really good football. They play with a bit more of an edge at home.

"We can go all out on Sunday and try to give it our best shot knowing there isn't a Premier League game for another week."

Ricketts is understood to have a ruptured Achilles, which is likely to rule him out of action until the start of next season.

A similar injury ruled David Beckham out of last summer's World Cup and caused him to miss the entire MLS season for LA Galaxy.

And while Cahill refused to lay the blame for Ricketts' injury on the poor pitch at Wigan, the England centre half admits he will be glad just to be playing on a more predictable surface at Craven Cottage.

"It was terrible," he said. "Just planting your feet down was hard. Your foot was rocking and you couldn't get any grip.

"I should perhaps have kept it simple and not tried to get it down and play. But it was impossible at times.

"Fulham tend to play good football at home, so it will be nice to play on a good pitch again."

l Tickets for Sunday's game have gone on open sale, priced at £20 for adults, £10 for concessions and £5 for Under-16s.

U16s can also gain entry to Craven Cottage for £1 when buying with a full-priced adult's ticket, although the offer will not be available on the day of the game.

Tickets will be made available for collection at Bolton Central and will not be posted. They can also be purchased over the turnstiles, which open at 1.30pm.

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/02/18/danny-murphy-wants-to-play-on-at-fulham-82029-28191018/

Danny Murphy wants to play on at Fulham

By Paul Warburton

Feb 18 2011

DANNY Murphy has revealed he will play on as long as he has a good Fulham team around him.

The Whites captain was awarded a one-year extension to his current deal last month that takes him to 35 by the time it runs out in July 2012 – but he admitted he could play on after that.

Manager Mark Hughes insists the midfielder could go on for years – although Murphy joked that facing Chelsea each week would hasten his retirement after Monday's tough 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage.

He added: "But I've only had one injury since I've been here that put me out for six weeks last year. There can only be either Brede (Hangeland) or Hughesy (Aaron Hughes) that have played more games than me.

"I'm quite durable, never needed an operation in my career, and I've been quite pleased with fitness and performance this season.

"But the team around me has to be right as well. The game's becoming more physical every year and to be fair to the gaffer and the lads – we've got some great athletes here.

"I'll play as long as I have an impact, although I won't be going down the divisions just so I can hang on for dear life."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/02/18/danny-murphy-wants-to-play-on-at-fulham-82029-28191018/#ixzz1EIKnn1wS

White Noise

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/sport/Dikgacoi-brings-little-different-mix/article-3236046-detail/article.html

Dougie Freedman column: Dikgacoi brings something a little different to the mix

WE MANAGED to get another of our long-term targets this week with the loan signing of Kagisho Dikgacoi.

He's a guy with proven experience in the Premier League and at international level and should be an excellent addition to our squad.

It's no secret we've been looking to strengthen the midfield and Dikgacoi will add something a little different to what we've already got.

I've know about him for quite a while and have been tracking him seriously for the past two months.

But it has been another deal that has been far from easy to complete.

I've said a few times now that to get the right people for the club I will take my time and make sure I've done my homework and that was certainly the case here. Fulham weren't keen to lose him, but we've worked closely with them and thankfully they can see the move will be beneficial to all parties.

It isn't hard to get players in on loan, there are plenty of agents out there trying to push players on you and more than enough clubs who are keen to get some of their lads off the books for a while. But getting the right players is a different matter.

With all the lads I've brought in - Vaughany, Jermain Easter, Dean Moxey - I've had to bide my time. Rushing into these things can never be the right move, it's a sign of desperation and we are far from desperate.

The squad is beginning to take shape now and I'm pretty happy with what I've got to work with.

That's not to say that Dikgacoi will be the last loan signing before the deadline in March.

I'm always looking to strengthen. We have good competition in most positions, but there are still areas where we could be better and if the players become available I'll make my move.

A few of the younger lads have gone in the opposite direction to get some important match practice this week and that's something I will always look to do. Although our reserves have played some good fixtures against some decent opposition you can't beat first team football with three points up for grabs.

Kieran Djilali, for instance, will get far more from playing at League Two level with Chesterfield than he would playing the odd reserve game. If they're not developing here, then it's important they go elsewhere to continue that development and we can look at the long-term situation when they get back.

There might be one or two more who we loan out as well.

Alassane N'Diaye and Stuart O'Keefe could be allowed to leave if the right club come in for them.

With Djilali going it's unlikely I'd let Kieron Cadogan out though as we need that cover.

Calvin Andrew is another who is not getting much game time, but I'd still like him around the place as he's a bit closer to the first team than the others.

We've also had clubs asking to take Adam Barrett and Claude Davis but I rejected that straight away. I like that competition at the back.

If there's an injury or a drop in form those two will be in the side, so it wouldn't be right to let them go.

The defeat at Coventry showed us that we are far from the finished article, but I won't get too down about the result. I felt we were not far away in the game and if we had taken one of our chances early on it would have been a different outcome.

The match with Sheffield United tomorrow is a huge game, there's no getting away from that.

Lennie [Lawrence] went up to watch them on Tuesday night and we know how we want to set up against them.

If the pressure on us is huge, the pressure on them must be four times as bad. If we win there's a five point gap between them and safety - that's a big deficit at this stage of the season.

We've been excellent at home in recent weeks and we won't be straying too far from the tactics we've employed during that run. We want to keep it nice and solid and attack clinically when we get the chance.

It's a match the players are really looking forward to and I am as well.

White Noise

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/wanderersnews/8860937.Wanderers_desperately_searching_for_Mr_Right/

Wanderers desperately searching for Mr Right

10:00am Friday 18th February 2011

OWEN Coyle remains upbeat even though his back four is down to its bare bones for Sunday's trip to Fulham.

Wanderers travel to Craven Cottage with only four fit first-team defenders after Zat Knight and Sam Ricketts were injured in the last two games.

Paul Robinson, David Wheater, Gary Cahill and Marcos Alonso represent the only senior options at Coyle's disposal for the FA Cup fifth round clash, but Coyle believes the quartet will be strong enough to cope with the Cottagers.

"We have got a few problems now because Sam has absolutely no chance and will be out of action for quite some time if the injury is as bad as we think," he said.

"Gretar Steinsson is on his way back but not fully fit yet, but the lads who came in against Wigan have certainly put themselves in the frame."

Ricketts has ruptured his Achilles tendon, meaning he will spend months and not weeks out of action, and Knight also looks likely to be sat on the sidelines for at least another month.

That means Wanderers face potential problems heading into games against Fulham, Newcastle United and Aston Villa unless one of their injured list becomes available.

Here we look at the possible options at Coyle's disposal at right back: nGretar Steinsson – Believed to be a couple of weeks away from a first team return, the Icelander has played just once this year because of a knee injury.

Steinsson was a regular at right back up to receiving a one game suspension in November but has managed just a couple of hours of football since, and looked out of shape on his last outing against Chelsea.

Ever-committed and perfectly reliable when in full flow, Coyle could certainly do with the 29-year-old staying injury free until the end of the season.

nPaul Robinson – Certainly let no-one down on his weaker side at the DW Stadium but might well get a more thorough test against the likes of Damien Duff, Jonas Gutierrez or Stewart Downing in the coming weeks if Coyle sticks with the side he finished with on Wednesday night.

Robinson has arguably been Wanderers' most consistent performer this season, making 28 starts in league and cup, and would certainly be favourite for the short-term stop gap.

nMarcos Alonso – The young Spaniard has had limited first team opportunities since arriving from Real Madrid in the summer but has shown signs in the reserves that he is starting to settle into life in England.

The teenager came off the bench against Wigan and would be a shoo-in for left-back if Coyle decides to move Robinson to the opposite side of the back four.

nDavid Wheater – Filled in as a full-back during his days at Middlesbrough but looks much more like a centre-half going by his first few appearances for the Whites.

Wheater has shown promise since arriving at the club from Teesside, and with Zat Knight out for at least six weeks, it would be a surprise to see him shifted from his central spot alongside Gary Cahill.

But should Coyle wish to change things round, Fabrice Muamba could perhaps be used as a makeshift centre-back to cover.

nJlloyd Samuel – Was targeting reserve team football before the end of the season after so long on the sidelines with a serious thigh injury but might well readjust his sights given the current predicament.

Samuel has filled in at right-back for Wanderers, Aston Villa and England Under-21s in the past, so a first-team return might not be as unlikely as it might once have seemed.

nJoe Riley – The Salford-born first year pro has put in a string of solid performances for the reserves in recent weeks to put forward a case for inclusion.

A natural right-back who has been with the club since 2001, Riley is well thought of by the Wanderers' hierarchy.

White Noise

Success Story

Friday 18th February 2011

Kick It Out Ambassador, Dickson Etuhu, fielded questions from a select group of Surrey schoolchildren this week and spoke passionately about the key factors behind achieving success in life - hard work and dedication.

In a lengthy interview Dickson was asked several questions regarding his childhood, his jouney into professional football and his role as Ambassador for Kick It Out. Here's the full interview with Dickson:

You role in Kick It Out - what do you get out of it as an ambassador?

Racism in football is getting better and better. Obviously Kick It Out has done a lot of work and I am very proud and privileged to be a part of that.

I can see the difference over the last 10 years now. Every year that goes by, it's more accepted that anyone can play football, wherever you are from, and everyone is looked at in the same way.

All the work that Kick It Out" is doing is paying off and it's rare to experience racism now in football. Obviously it's still out there but compared to 10 years ago, there is a massive difference now, and I am very proud to be a part of it.

What was your upbringing like?

For me, I lived with my two brothers, one plays for Manchester City and the other one used to play for Wimbledon.

He was actually the best player out of the three of us but football wasn't his number one love. He wanted to do more academics – he was head boy at his school and concentrated more on school work than his sport.

We all loved sport and football; we played football at the park every day after doing homework. We had a field right outside the house so we would go there and play every day.

We encouraged each other and luckily, our mum, who was a single parent, always encouraged us to work hard and believe in what we wanted to be. She supported us well and at the end of it we all went our different ways.

What would be your secondary objective if you didn't become a footballer?

Before I started playing football, I used to do athletics. I used to do triple jump, long jump and sometimes I did the relay. I enjoyed my athletics; I did it for a few years so I think I would have been an athlete. Football was definitely not my first choice; it was something I grew to love after a while.

When you were a child, what was your favourite football team?

I liked Arsenal because I played in a team with Shaun Wright-Phillips and Bradley Wright-Phillips. With Ian Wright being an Arsenal player I saw him all the time so I used to love and follow Arsenal.

I don't really support any team now because we play against them every week but I keep my eye on everyone really. I haven't really got a team I support apart from the team I play for.

When did you realise you were going to be a professional footballer?

When I was younger I wasn't such a good player. I was very athletic, very quick and strong but technically I wasn't the best, so I didn't really think I would make it as a footballer, but I believed in hard work.

I used to work really, really hard and do extra training, I used to stay behind after every session and work on the things I wasn't good at. Kevin Keegan, who was manager of Manchester City at the time, liked me and that used to give me tremendous confidence.

One day he [Keegan] told me that he was going to give me a game for the first team. I couldn't believe it because I was only 18 or 19. I didn't really believe it until that moment because all I believed in was hard work and thought that I would work as hard as I can and get the most I can out of it.

When he gave me the opportunity to play, it kind of hit me that I could be a professional footballer if I continued to keep my feet on the ground and just worked hard. That showed that if you work hard you can do or become anything in life.

What were the advantages and disadvantages of playing professional now?

The advantages of it are that you almost become a star really, people know who you are, you enjoy your football and you come in every day and do what you love. You build relationships with different people you meet, you know, your heroes in the game, every so often, the people you looked up to as a kid and that's obviously a great advantage.

Its non-stop everywhere you go its football, football, football and you love it. If you have a bad game one week you always have next week to make it right. There are so many good things about football, there is always an opportunity to do better or to keep going.

The disadvantage for me would be moving around. I've lived in Norwich, I've lived in Preston, I've lived in Manchester, I've lived in Sunderland, I've lived in Durham and I've lived in London. That's the hard bit for me – being away from my family, my mum and brothers and obviously now I have a son.

Just moving around is the hard bit, you have to leave people behind but it's the sacrifice. You know you have to sacrifice a lot of things to achieve anything and that's probably the disadvantage for me.

Who is your role model?

That's a good question. When I was younger I used to like basketball and liked Michael Jordan. I used to read some of his books and, the way he trained and how good he was. I really used to love basketball when I was a kid.

Also, as I was becoming a young footballer I used to watch Roy Keane and Patrick Viera. I'd watch the way they work and I used to try and model my game of them. All of a sudden I started looking up to them and ask questions about them and find out about them as people and how they carried themselves and what they did. I looked up to them a lot when I became a footballer.

Have you been a midfielder all your life?

Yes, I've been a midfielder all my life. Because I'm fit and used to do athletics I could just run and never get tired so I used to get a lot of goals until I started playing in the Premier League - now I am more disciplined and you can't just run around. They would rip you to shreds so you have to think a lot more. Unlike in the championship where you can just play and the fittest man wins.

You know, the more you run, the more chance you have of winning. In the Premier League it's different – it's more like chess and you can't just run and run because good players will punish you.

What are the differences between Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes?

Roy was more defensive in a way, he was more disciplined, whereas Mark Hughes gives you more opportunities to be more on the front foot and take the game with your hand and go and win the game yourself, or to come out of your shell and express yourself, which has helped my game.

Under the new manager I feel like a can make mistakes and try new things and can do a bit more, even if it doesn't work it's not a problem, I can go again. That's the difference but it could work for you, and either or, because sometimes you can be too defensive or too predictable and you could try and do too much and lose the game. So it balances itself out but I think right now we got a perfect balance for both.

Do you regret anything in your life?

I don't really regret things, but the only one thing that I am not sure about was when I left Manchester City. I left City but they didn't want me to leave; they offered me a long-term contract at the time and I turned it down because I had a disagreement with Kevin Keegan at the time and we didn't agree on certain things.

He wanted me to stay at the club but I decided to leave to play under David Moyes at Preston. I think I should have stayed but I'm not sure, because I loved that club at the time. I grew up there, I had a lot of friends there and a lot of family.

My brother was there and I could have played with my brother and I could have helped him become a better player. Me being his older player and having been there for him, that would have been good for him. That is the only thing I regret in my career.

What was your best game for Fulham?

Last year getting to the Europa League Final, that was a good game, but the best game I have played in, personally, for my individual performance would have been Tottenham away this year, I really enjoyed it.

That is when I just came back from injury and I just really enjoyed it. But the best game I have ever played in was the Europa Cup Final last year - that was such a great occasion. So I would have to say that one because it was big occasion and an opportunity of a life time and I hope that I get an opportunity to play on a big stage like that again in the future.

What do you do away from football?

I spend time with my family, and my son who is now 18months. I am married – I've got a wife at home so I like to spend time with them as they don't get to see me as much as I'd like them to because I'm always travelling with international breaks and stuff.

Obviously I have been away in the summers for the last couple of years as I have had the World Cup and the World Cup qualifiers for six weeks of the year before that. I didn't really have time to go on holiday with them so I try to spend as much time as I can with them.

I am a big family person. In my house, it is like a hotel! There are always people there from my family, like my mum or brothers, or the wife's part of the family.

What qualities do you need to become a professional footballer?

All you need to do is work hard and just believe in yourself. As you grow older you start to realise that life is simple, it is all about hard work and dedication. You don't realise that until you get older like me and you never want to think, 'could I have done more?'

You always try and give everything now – it's really important that you work hard and have dedication and you really can achieve anything. Whether that is your studies or you want to be a footballer, a golfer or a snooker player. You just have to have that dedication and work really hard and then you will never go wrong - I promise you.

Do you ever go out with your team-mates?

Of course, it's important that you bond with your team mates. When you have someone that you go to work with and you become friends it gives you that extra yard.

When you understand the people you work with, it always helps because you understand why they are a certain way. If I didn't go out with some players in the team then I wouldn't know they are very shy, so then I will know how to deal with them as individuals, whereas other players need an arm round them or they need a push to get them going.

You wouldn't know any of that if you didn't spend time with them outside of football so it's important that you spend time with your colleagues or team mates and that gives you that extra yard on a Saturday.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/DicksonOnGoals.aspx#ixzz1EJCMlZZM

White Noise

Top Flight Man

Fulham captain Danny Murphy felt Monday night's draw against Chelsea was further proof of Fulham's continued progress this season. Murphy felt a draw was the fair result against the current Champions but is clearly pleased with his Team's performances in 2011.

"All in all I was very pleased with a point on Monday night," Murphy told fulhamfc.com. "The game reminded me of a few of our European nights from last year. Shakhtar Donetsk was a similar game, which we won, but we under the kosh in that game.   

"We showed spirit and commitment and you have to work very hard against the better teams. You can't always match them man-for-man and outplay them. I'm sure our fans were disappointed with the fact we couldn't cause them too many problems in the second half, but overall, if you can get something out of a game against Chelsea you've got to be happy.

"I think since the match against West Ham at the Cottage on Boxing Day, we've been performing much better. It's the old classic cliche but the results have given us confidence. Since the win away to Stoke we've kicked on and we've only lost to Liverpool since. The points return is better and we're in a much healthier position. If the penalty had gone in on Monday night we'd of been eighth or ninth in the table."

Murphy is desperate to bring some silverware to the Cottage after last season's close encounter with the Europa League trophy and Fulham have the opportunity to progress to the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup this weekend,   

"It's a good draw when you're at home. Of course Crawley would have been nice but Manchester United got the luck there as usual! It's nice that we'll be playing at home and that we're in the compeittion at this stage because the fans start getting excited and we're only two wins away from Wembley.

"It's been a few years since I've won anything so it would be nice to go on a good FA Cup win - it's another game that can give us confidence and momentum. It will be a great afternoon for the fans on Sunday and we'll be looking to progress.   

"It's difficult to anticipate how you're going to be in a year. Since I've been here I've only had one injury that's kept me out for six weeks. There's probably only Brede and Aaron that have played as many games as me. I'm quite durable in that respect and touch wood I've never had to have an operation in my entire career. Fitness wise I'm working as hard as ever to maintain my fitness levels.

"It's about the impact I can have on games. Like any older player will tell you, if you have a bad game or the team loses, it's said your legs have gone. I've been pleased with my level of performance this season. We played a hell of a lot of games over Christmas and New Year and I played in all of them.

"Being selected to play every week means I'm doing something right. To give the Team credit, we've got a lot of good athletes in the side and that helps. The game is more physical every year. I'll play for as long as I feel I can make an impact and have an influence. As of now that's for one more year and we'll see where we are next season, but I don't envisage myself trying to hang on for dear life and dropping down the divisions.  To try and get to a Final would be amazing.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/DannyMurphyCupPreview.aspx#ixzz1EJDogw6C

White Noise

http://www.teamtalk.com/match/preview/978/6759157/Fulham-v-Bolton-preview

Fulham v Bolton preview

Friday 18th February 2011 10:54

Alonso: Set to face Fulham

Team news ahead of Sunday's FA Cup fifth-round tie between Fulham and Bolton at Craven Cottage.

Bolton will be without half of their first-choice back four at Fulham.

Zat Knight is expected to miss six weeks with a knee ligament injury and Trotters boss Owen Coyle has confirmed that Sam Ricketts ruptured his Achilles against Wigan on Wednesday and will be out for the rest of the season.

With full-backs Gretar Steinsson and Jlloyd Samuel still sidelined, Marcos Alonso may again be asked to deputise, while in-form striker Daniel Sturridge is cup-tied.

Fulham team news to follow...

Bolton (from): Bogdan, Jaaskelainen, Robinson, Cahill, Wheater, Muamba, Petrov, K Davies, Elmander, Klasnic, Taylor, Alonso, Rodrigo, M Davies, Cohen, Holden, Steinsson, Blake, O'Halloran, Lee, Lainton.

White Noise

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23924528-clint-dempsey-gets-a-thumbs-up-as-he-closes-in-on-record.do

Clint Dempsey gets a thumbs-up as he closes in on record

Simon Johnson

18 Feb 2011

Clint Dempsey has received a timely vote of confidence from Fulham team-mate Aaron Hughes after the American missed the injury-time penalty that would have given his side a shock victory over neighbours Chelsea and broken a Premier League record in the process.

Had Dempsey beaten Petr Cech with his spot-kick on Monday it would have been his 10th League goal of the campaign, eclipsing former team-mate Brian McBride's record for the most League goals scored by an American in a Premier League season.

Now the Texan must pick himself up for Sunday's FA Cup fifth-round clash at home to Bolton. And Hughes is backing the winger-cum-striker by pointing out how he has already scored 10 goals in all competitions.

The Northern Ireland international said: "Clint has been fantastic for us this season, not just with the goals he's contributed but his work all round. He's one of the hardest-working players in the team.

"He is in double figures this season for the first time, something he is very proud of, and he would love to build on that. Missing the penalty is one of those things. It was a good save by the goalkeeper."

Fulham have now gone six home games without defeat since the start of the year and in that time they have conceded just two goals, in the 6-2 trouncing of Peterborough in the third round of the FA Cup.

Hughes believes Bolton, against whom Fulham drew 0-0 at the Reebok Stadium on the opening day of the season, will be at a disadvantage.

He said: "We go into the game with plenty of confidence. If we show the same commitment and character and play the way we have been playing over the these last five or six weeks, then we can give anyone a good game. We just need to keep this little run going."

Crucial to Fulham's form has been the central defensive pairing of Hughes and Brede Hangeland, the towering Norwegian who should be fit to play on Sunday after he fell ill before lining up against Chelsea.

Few people at Craven Cottage were aware that Hangeland was under the weather. Indeed, he and Hughes worked wonders taming a Chelsea attack that featured £50million signing Fernando Torres.

Hughes said: "I don't know how Brede made it through the game. He had been unwell all day and he was shattered afterwards.

"But that is Brede for you. He wanted to stay on, he wanted to get through it, he's never one to put his hand up and say 'I've got to come off, I'm not feeling very well'. He'll go on until you have to drag him off."

Mark Hughes, who seems to be one of the few top managers who still values the magic of the FA Cup, will be tempted to stay with the same team.

Bolton's Owen Coyle must cope without Sam Ricketts, who has been ruled out for the rest of the season after rupturing an Achilles in the fourth-round replay win at Wigan, and former Fulham defender Zat Knight, who has a knee ligament injury.

White Noise

Matchday Travel Update

Supporters attending Sunday's match against Bolton Wanderers at the Cottage should be aware of transport disruptions on the day of the game.

On the District Line there will be no service between West Kensington, Richmond and Ealing Broadway. Replacement buses will operate.

On the Piccadilly Line there will be no service between Hammersmith, Northfields and Ealing Common.

Supporters are advised to check the TfL website| before they travel.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/BoltonTravelUpdate.aspx#ixzz1EJP6oudo

White Noise

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/blackburn-rovers-fc/129021-blackburn-rovers-rival-tottenham-hotspur-and-fulham-fc-for-real-madrid-midfielder.html

Blackburn Rovers rival Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham FC for Real Madrid midfielder

by Rob MacDonald.

Published Fri 18 Feb 2011 12:30, Last updated: 2011-02-18

Blackburn Rovers rival Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham FC for Real Madrid midfielder  Real Madrid starlet Sergio Aguza is reportedly a target of Blackburn Rovers.

However, it seems Rovers boss Steve Kean will face competition from Premier League rivals Spurs and Fulham at the end of the season.

Aguza has impressive for Real Madrid Castilla ithis season.

The Barcelona-born youngster only joined Real in 2008 from Spanish Fourth Division side Cornella, and he is thought to have a bright future at the Bernabeu.