watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Memories Of Shakhtar At The Cottage

Started by White Noise, February 18, 2011, 06:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

It was tonight last year that we played the mighty Shakhtar Donetsk, holders of the Europa trophy, at home.

The first half was quite literally a blur. Their speed of passing was awe inspiring and we sat in the Hammersmith End in a sort of stunned wonder. It felt ominous all the time. Etuhu looked like he could barely follow the ball let alone get involved and Hangeland started to look like he was going to make some giraffe like defensive moves and start a run of penalties. Despite Zoltan's early goal it looked like we would be swamped after they scored on hall an hour.

They dictated the first half from start to finish and its difficult to think of better passing football at The Cottage. We changed tactics in the second half and managed to compete but Bob's goal was still a bit out of the blue. Incredible game and a great illustration of the strange and wonderful periods of form we found in Europe and the terrific defensive displays we put - including some World class keeping from Mark.

This was the game when we started to think there might be something there for us after all in this competition.

os5889

Quote from: White Noise on February 18, 2011, 06:12:53 PM
It was tonight last year that we played the mighty Shakhtar Donetsk, holders of the Europa trophy, at home.

The first half was quite literally a blur. Their speed of passing was awe inspiring and we sat in the Hammersmith End in a sort of stunned wonder. It felt ominous all the time. Etuhu looked like he could barely follow the ball let alone get involved and Hangeland started to look like he was going to make some giraffe like defensive moves and start a run of penalties. Despite Zoltan's early goal it looked like we would be swamped after they scored on hall an hour.

They dictated the first half from start to finish and its difficult to think of better passing football at The Cottage. We changed tactics in the second half and managed to compete but Bob's goal was still a bit out of the blue. Incredible game and a great illustration of the strange and wonderful periods of form we found in Europe and the terrific defensive displays we put - including some World class keeping from Mark.

This was the game when we started to think there might be something there for us after all in this competition.

The team I most feared in the competition and they didn't disappoint, one of the best games I've been to and so glad I took my mum, dad and brothers, it was a wonderful introduction to the cottage for mother and the younger Smiths.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

The best passers of a ball I have ever seen at the Cottage-why they aren't up there with the "Big names" in Europe I'll never know

cebu

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on February 18, 2011, 07:26:49 PM
The best passers of a ball I have ever seen at the Cottage-why they aren't up there with the "Big names" in Europe I'll never know

They waste too many goal-scoring opportunities. They narrowly beat Roma 2-3 away yesterday, but should have scored at least six.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: cebu on February 18, 2011, 07:34:36 PM
Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on February 18, 2011, 07:26:49 PM

They waste too many goal-scoring opportunities. They narrowly beat Roma 2-3 away, but should have scored at least six.

Possibly why we beat them over two legs perhaps?

When we were 0-1 down at HT at home, it could have been worse, the tie could have already been all but over. As it was, we scored 2 and snuck a draw away and won it.

FatFreddysCat

I watched it on the box and to this day they are the best team i've ever seen at the Cottage, i haven't got long nails to half my fingers are still missing. They tore us apart yet we still won, possibly the bravest ever Fulham performance ever? Oh to settle an arguement us Northolt Whites had the other night, Danny Murphy got sent of near the end of a game away in Europe i went for Shaktar they went for Juve, am i right?  And can Syd put the game clip on the FP birthday thread i'm sure he'd love that as it was his first Fulham game.

FP

Image is awful (took it with my phone) but helps getting the atmosphere, i'll never forget that night as i posted earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX-9DZbcYcU#

COWY!!!!

cebu

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on February 18, 2011, 07:39:37 PM
I watched it on the box and to this day they are the best team i've ever seen at the Cottage, i haven't got long nails to half my fingers are still missing. They tore us apart yet we still won, possibly the bravest ever Fulham performance ever? Oh to settle an arguement us Northolt Whites had the other night, Danny Murphy got sent of near the end of a game away in Europe i went for Shaktar they went for Juve, am i right?  And can Syd put the game clip on the FP birthday thread i'm sure he'd love that as it was his first Fulham game.

Hm, I think Danny missed the Juventus game, so ...

cebu

Quote from: FP on February 18, 2011, 07:41:51 PM
Image is awfull (took it with my phone) but helps getting the atmosphere, i'll never forget that night as i posted earlier

COWY!!!!

The picture may not be perfect, but you captured the atmosphere perfectly! Thanks.   :045:

helgell

That summary actually had more chances for our side than I can remember. All I can remember from the stream I saw it on, is their dominance and that goal from Zamora, one of my all-time favourites.

Oakeshott

Surely Danny got sent off against Roma away.

cebu

Quote from: Oakeshott on February 18, 2011, 08:08:34 PM

Well I remember Konchesky getting a red in Rome.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: cebu on February 18, 2011, 08:13:00 PM
Quote from: Oakeshott on February 18, 2011, 08:08:34 PM

Well I remember Konchesky getting a red in Rome.
Iwas at Roma away and Konch and erm i forget got a red, both Mafia influenced.

White Noise

Konch and Erik got Reds in the Roma game and Danny went off in Shaktar away -

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=285556&cc=5739

CULTUREVULTURE

The best side I've ever seen at the Cottage since 1978.

FatFreddysCat

Image is awful (took it with my phone) but helps getting the atmosphere, i'll never forget that night as i posted earlier

COWY!!!!
Bloody hell FP you was in the Riverside stand and that is by far the quietest side and it still sounded well loud. When i go i sit in the Stevenage rd  (wrongly called the Johnny Haynes stand)  stand across the pitch and it's superb, i feel out of place anywher else. Will you come to the Cottage again? I'll get you a ticket and take you out for a beer and set up a meet with a lot of the Foffers .

FP

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on February 18, 2011, 08:24:57 PM

COWY!!!!
Bloody hell FP you was in the Riverside stand and that is by far the quietest side and it still sounded well loud. When i go i sit in the Stevenage rd  (wrongly called the Johnny Haynes stand)  stand across the pitch and it's superb, i feel out of place anywher else. Will you come to the Cottage again? I'll get you a ticket and take you out for a beer and set up a meet with a lot of the Foffers .
Of course I will Mr Fred. Probably by the end of the year and we are definitely going to get some pints together before a game!!!!!

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: FP on February 18, 2011, 08:38:03 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on February 18, 2011, 08:24:57 PM

COWY!!!!
Bloody hell FP you was in the Riverside stand and that is by far the quietest side and it still sounded well loud. When i go i sit in the Stevenage rd  (wrongly called the Johnny Haynes stand)  stand across the pitch and it's superb, i feel out of place anywher else. Will you come to the Cottage again? I'll get you a ticket and take you out for a beer and set up a meet with a lot of the Foffers .
Of course I will Mr Fred. Probably by the end of the year and we are definitely going to get some pints together before a game!!!!!
Good man, last fella from abroad i promised that to is very very much part of the Fulham family, infact married to a Fulham family (with  nasty cheese habits) and living here. Infact he does me  much more Fulham favours than i done him now, but you reap what you sow. I hardly ever go now FP but if you come over i'll definately make the effort, and no Riverside this time.

Jimpav

The mood changing from "we are going to run wild here" after scoring so early and then quickly turning to "are you brazil in disguise?" as the hammy end was hypnotised into a trance by some of the silkiest football ever seen by the banks of the Thames.

Bz's goal was second only to Dempseys chip in the goal of the tournament stakes. A shot that left me breathless and stunned Shakhtar.

Another chapter in an amazing campaign. Every match had something memorable about it- be it the opposition, a wonderful goal, a dodgy decision. We did ourselves proud.