watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Discussion/argument down the local last night

Started by vagrant, February 19, 2011, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagrant

Out last night in the local village pub ( I live in the wilds of Norfolk ) and the talk naturally amongst us blokes was mainly about football.  Most of the guys support Norwich, which is fair enough as they are about 30 miles away, a few Man Utd followers, and of course me, the lone Fulham fan.

What really got me going though was when nearly all of them talked about their second team.  You know the thing, my second team Arsenal could win the league this year etc etc.  Now I firmly believe we should all have a second team, as long as they are not English.  You should never be cheering on another team in this country.

The split in the pub ended up 50/50.  I managed to convert a few to my way of thinking, but I was wondering what the opinion was on this board....

Come on Rosenborg....   :49:

cebu

You can't ride 2 horses with one ar$e!    :dead horse:

sipwell

Not in the Prem anyways. My "local" team is Union Saint Gilloise (division III), but I do have a soft spot for my in-laws support for La Gantoise in division I. But two teams in the Prem: NEIN.

What I do find interesting is the reverse idea: how much you loathe other teams and a gradation in that. I do for instance not care about Birmingham at all (win, lose or draw, who cares) but I am very happy when West Ham loses.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Fletchino

I support 2 teams fulham and who ever Chelsea play

os5889

I like Fulham first and foremost and look out and want to see Arsenal, Cardiff, Swansea and Southampton to do well.

I was raised in Swansea, lived in Southampton now live in Cardiff and followed Arsenal in my early days (I still have a signed George Graham andIan Wright photo sent to me for my 7th birthday by the club on the wall in my sports lounge) and so yes they are all my second teams as I've frequented all their games when I've had a chance (except the Arsenal). So yes they are all my second teams and I hope they all win every week.When they play Fulham though its Fulham all the way!

I've also been to about 40 league games as a neutral as I just enjoy football! Sheffield United, Bristol Rovers and Wolves have some really good fans!

I'll support whoever the hell I want and noone else's opinion or attempts to change my mind will have an effect!

COYW!

finnster01

Quote from: os5889 on February 19, 2011, 07:25:07 PM
I like Fulham first and foremost and look out and want to see Arsenal, Cardiff, Swansea and Southampton to do well.

I was raised in Swansea, lived in Southampton now live in Cardiff and followed Arsenal in my early days and so yes they are all my second teams as I've frequented all their games when I've had a chance (except the Arsenal). So yes they are all my second teams and I hope they all win every week.When they play Fulham though its Fulham all the way!

I've also been to about 40 league games as a neutral as I just enjoy football!.

I'll support whoever the hell I want and noone else's opinion or attempts to change my mind will have an effect!

COYW!
Mr Owen,
You must be the only man in Wales who wants Cardiff AND Swansea to win every week...  :dft012:

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

When Fulham aren't playing i like to get down the Bridge with Blingo and Cork City.

os5889

Quote from: finnster01 on February 19, 2011, 07:30:20 PM

I was raised in Swansea, lived in Southampton now live in Cardiff and followed Arsenal in my early days and so yes they are all my second teams as I've frequented all their games when I've had a chance (except the Arsenal). So yes they are all my second teams and I hope they all win every week.When they play Fulham though its Fulham all the way!

I've also been to about 40 league games as a neutral as I just enjoy football!.

COYW!
Mr Owen,
You must be the only man in Wales who wants Cardiff AND Swansea to win every week...  :dft012:

If it comes to the derby I'm a jack!
Its this order when they play each other!

Fulham
Swansea
Cardiff
Southampton
Arsenal

Its down to being a teenager from Pembrokeshire which isnt really a hotbed of either set of fans and the whole are is largely Manc fans (I know...) with a patriotic streak!

Fernhurst

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on February 19, 2011, 07:34:12 PM
When Fulham aren't playing i like to get down the Bridge with Blingo and Cork City.

Absolutely cracking  :yay: You stirring great git.

TheDaddy

MAN UTD FOR ME

:hook:
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Scrumpy

Vagrant, I agree with you to a degree.

Although I'm not sure they have to be from another country, I think your second team needs to be one that has absolutely no chance of meeting Fulham in a competitive game. They need to be really pathetic and down trodden, so that you can appreciate the flip-side to supporting Fulham. It helps you keep your feet on the ground to occasionally mix with fans that roll up to their failing little side, despite absolutely no chance of seeing a win, or even a goal. And a team that is grateful for every fan that shells out a few quid to see a bunch of decorators and bank clerks give their all on a Saturday afternoon.

Yep, my second team is Brentford  :005:.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Fernhurst

There is small problem in your argument Trampster....... Fulham FC is most loved 2nd club to more fans than you could imagine.

Shredhead

Quote from: os5889 on February 19, 2011, 07:35:50 PM

Its down to being a teenager from Pembrokeshire which isnt really a hotbed of either set of fans and the whole are is largely Manc fans (I know...) with a patriotic streak!
Do you know if Simon Davies is from Solva or Haverfordwest? I loves that area I do. Go to St Davids most years on hols.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

finnster01

Personally, I harbor strong feelings for Liverpool.

Unfortunately, the Royal Post had to cancel their latest stamp issue featuring famous Liverpool players. People just didn't know which side to spit on  :035:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

os5889

Quote from: Shredhead on February 19, 2011, 09:14:00 PM
Quote from: os5889 on February 19, 2011, 07:35:50 PM

Do you know if Simon Davies is from Solva or Haverfordwest? I loves that area I do. Go to St Davids most years on hols.

He's from Solva but spends a lot of time in Haverfordwest, we've seen him in town when I head back to the shire over the summer

lamby

Fulham first, then the Adelaide Crows (Aussie Rules). With an eye on Melbourne Heart in the A-League (Kevin Muscat put me off following Melbourne Victory.) I also might have a look at the Melbourne Rebels this year in the Rugby (super whatever it is at the moment.)

CorkedHat

That's the go Lamby - support a team from another code and you can't go wrong. I have been a life member of Carlton in the AFL since 1977 and they haven't played Fulham once  :019:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

michaelread

No way could I have a second team in England. It takes away from the fun of it all really. Every result, win lose or draw, has bearing on Fulham, and if we were to drop out of the top flight, my ability to follow the side visually would drop completely (we show one championship game a week, and ALL premier league games), so i cannot follow anyone else.

However, I do like to watch blackpool, i REALLY get into the Manc derby (two close mates are a United fan who knows his stuff from a family of United fans, and a City fan who has no clue and just gets excited over Tevez, its funny watching either of them lose) and I will watch an Everton game when I am awake to follow the progress of Timmy Cahill.

I have a soft sport for Cheltenham Town also, as a 15 year old on a Rugby Tour, I had my first serious encounter with a pretty lass on their pitch at a post match function. Now that is a story.

Other than that, I follow St Pauli, Newcastle Jets and Udinese. Just makes it easier.

Blingo

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on February 19, 2011, 07:34:12 PM
+1