Main Menu

Zamora Targets England Place

Started by White Noise, February 21, 2011, 03:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Zamora targets England place after return from injury hell

Published 14:20 21/02/11

By Chris Powers

Bobby Zamora is targeting an England place after making his Fulham return on Sunday.

The striker suffered a broken ankle against Wolves in September, but his reserve appearances have been impressive in recent weeks with goals against Everton and Brighton.

Despite setbacks on the international stage – breaking his leg a month after his England debut - Zamora remains hopeful about his England chances.

"I think there's a place for my sort of player with the way I play, as I like to hold the ball up," he said.

"They have (Andy) Carroll now, but I would like to think that I am up there with him and Carlton Cole who also seems to be in and around the squad.

"Obviously I will look to get back playing for Fulham, but who knows after that."

The 30-year-old striker was forced to miss the World Cup because of an Achilles injury, but made his England debut in a home friendly against Hungary in August, coming on as a substitute in the 2-1 win at Wembley.

"The Achilles was an ongoing thing all season, but was gradually getting worse," he said.

"I could have played in the World Cup, but wouldn't have been able to train. I decided it would be best for the country to pull out.

"It's all part and parcel of football really. The leg-break is an unfortunate, but it's just one of those things. If I get my goals, there is no reason I can't play for England again."

Zamora came on as a substitute for 23 minutes in Fulham's 1-0 loss to Bolton in the FA Cup on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-striker-Bobby-Zamora-targets-England-place-after-return-from-injury-hell-article703359.html#ixzz1Ebcboi9q

MrFFC

Come on you Whites!! :)