Started by White Noise, February 22, 2011, 07:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6770993,00.html

Hughes looks to move on

Manager expects Cottagers to pick themselves up after defeat

Last updated: 21st February 2011   

Hughes: No concerns over confidence

Mark Hughes insists Fulham's FA Cup disappointment will not affect their confidence in the Premier League.

The Cottagers crashed out of the competition at the hands of Bolton in the fifth round on Sunday, suffering a 1-0 home defeat thanks to an early Ivan Klasnic strike.

Hughes' side, currently 12th in the table, face a daunting resumption of their league campaign against title contenders Manchester City at the weekend.

But the manager is adamant his side's form will not be disrupted by their cup setback.

Confidence

"We will pick ourselves up and carry on," said Hughes. "We won't be affected confidence-wise from this because we are playing well.

"Man City will be a big test, they are a good side. I think the disappointment of today will help us in that respect."

Hughes is taking his squad away on a break to Portugal ahead of their impending journey to Eastlands, though he admits the trip has been tainted by Sunday's disappointment.

"This result has dampened (the Portugal trip) somewhat but we will take the opportunity to have a change of scenery," he added.

"It has been a long season up to this point. We will come back and prepare to face Man City."

White Noise

Zamora targets England place after return from injury hell

Published 14:20 21/02/11

By Chris Powers

Bobby Zamora is targeting an England place after making his Fulham return on Sunday.

The striker suffered a broken ankle against Wolves in September, but his reserve appearances have been impressive in recent weeks with goals against Everton and Brighton.

Despite setbacks on the international stage – breaking his leg a month after his England debut - Zamora remains hopeful about his England chances.

"I think there's a place for my sort of player with the way I play, as I like to hold the ball up," he said.

"They have (Andy) Carroll now, but I would like to think that I am up there with him and Carlton Cole who also seems to be in and around the squad.

"Obviously I will look to get back playing for Fulham, but who knows after that."

The 30-year-old striker was forced to miss the World Cup because of an Achilles injury, but made his England debut in a home friendly against Hungary in August, coming on as a substitute in the 2-1 win at Wembley.

"The Achilles was an ongoing thing all season, but was gradually getting worse," he said.

"I could have played in the World Cup, but wouldn't have been able to train. I decided it would be best for the country to pull out.

"It's all part and parcel of football really. The leg-break is an unfortunate, but it's just one of those things. If I get my goals, there is no reason I can't play for England again."

Zamora came on as a substitute for 23 minutes in Fulham's 1-0 loss to Bolton in the FA Cup on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-striker-Bobby-Zamora-targets-England-place-after-return-from-injury-hell-article703359.html#ixzz1Efb66DKG

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/loaner-report-22111/

Loaner Report 2/21/11

Filed under: General — timmyg @ 1:54 am

Eddie Johnson started and played 54 minutes in Preston North End's 1-1 draw with QPR on Saturday. He registered one shot on goal. Last Tuesday he started and played 64 minutes in the Lilywhites' 2-2 draw at Watford.

Bjorn Helge Riise started and played 90 minutes in Sheffield United's 1-0 loss at Crystal Palace on Saturday. He came off the bench as 65th minute substitute in the Blades' 1-1 draw with Reading last Tuesday.

Kagisho Dikgacoi started and played 90 minutes in Crystal Palace's 1-0 win over Sheffield United. He had two shots on goal. In non-loaner news, turns out The Evidence has a website. And here's a video where the appropriate pronunciation of his last name can finally be heard.

Keanu Marsh-Brown started and played 76 minutes in MK Dons' 1-0 win at Hartlepool on Saturday. Last Tuesday he started, played 90 minutes, and registered 3 shots on goal in the Dons' 3-2 loss to Leyton Orient.

Courtney Harris started and played an indeterminable amount of minutes in Bromley's 0-0 draw with Dorchester Town on Saturday.

White Noise

The Final Four

Tickets for the final four home games of the 2010/11 season, against Blackpool, Bolton, Liverpool and Arsenal, will go on sale to Season Ticket Holders at 9am on Tuesday morning.

http://shop.fulhamfc.com/events.aspx?section=eve&eventfilter=home

White Noise

Bobby's Boost

Monday 21st February 2011

Brede Hangeland says Bobby Zamora's return to lead the Fulham line will be a "massive boost" as the Whites look to cement their place in the top half of the Premier League table.

England striker Zamora made a long-awaited appearance at Craven Cottage on Sunday – his first in a Fulham shirt since picking up a leg injury in a game against Wolverhampton Wanderers last September.

The 30-year-old replaced Zoltan Gera after 67 minutes in the disappointing 1-0 FA Cup Fifth Round defeat to Bolton Wanderers with his cameo providing a welcome distraction from a frustrating afternoon of football.

Last season's top scorer with 19 goals in all competitions is undoubtedly a key player for the Whites and team-mate Hangeland now predicts a more prosperous period for Zamora.

"It was great to have him [Zamora] back and everyone knows how important he is to the team," Hangeland told fulhamfc.com. "He's been out for five months, which is a long time - so it was a big moment for him. I thought he did really well and I'm sure he will be pleased to be back in action again, despite the outcome of the result.

"He looked focused and there weren't any signs that he had been away for the time he had. Sometimes when a player makes a comeback from a long injury he can be a little cautious, and rightly so. But Bobby didn't have that.

"He won some important challenges, held the ball up well and got into a couple of dangerous positions. He's had a difficult time, but he can put that all behind him now and enjoy what will hopefully be a better time."

Zamora brought the crowd to its feet with one late shot on the turn that cleared the crossbar and another half-chance that edged narrowly wide of the Bolton goal.

Unfortunately, Fulham could not turn their second-half possession into goals and as a result slipped to what was just their second defeat in 10 games and their first loss at Craven Cottage in seven.

"We have been on a good run of form lately, so this was a disappointing result for us," added Hangeland. "We have a lot of football to play in the league, and Bobby's return is a massive boost for us in terms helping to achieve our goal of finishing in the top half of the table.

"You want to have your best players fit and firing, and Bobby is one of them. I'm sure he will be determined to play his part throughout the remainder of the season. It's exciting to have him in contention again and his goals and general play will be important. We're out of the Cup, so the league is our priority now."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/HangelandOnZamora.aspx#ixzz1EfdiKROV

White Noise

He still has a fair few years to go before he gets his free bus pass. But, at the age of 50, foppish heart-throb Hugh Grant is doing his best to fend off the march of time.

The star of ­Love ­Actually and ­Notting Hill has been feverishly working out at Pilates classes near his West ­London home — so much so that he recently ­sustained a nasty injury to his left leg while attempting a particularly ­strenuous manoeuvre.

Says my man with the emergency bath chair: 'Hugh was hobbling very badly when he turned up last week to see ­Fulham and ­Chelsea draw at ­Craven Cottage [Hugh is a keen Fulham FC ­supporter]. He could hardly walk.

'He was at the Fulham ­versus Bolton match on Sunday, too, and he was still ­suffering pain in the leg. But he is on the mend.'

The delicious blonde he was with at the ­football ground will no doubt be relieved.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1359288/Lizzie-Cundy-WAG-opera-singer-flying-vol-au-vent.html#ixzz1EfgFKoTR

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/odds-and-ends-8/

Odds and ends

Filed under: General — rich @ 12:55 pm

Some odds and ends:

A beautiful numbers game: 

http://numbersgameblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/finishing-in-premier-league-top-4.html?showComment=1297181833188#c7672408339153458159

says we'd need to spend another £120 million to finish seventh again.   Gulp.  (see post and comments).   I always lose patience with people losing patience because we're not 'pushing on'.   We might fluke seventh again one day, but, well...

Hameur time!   Bouazza hits debut scorcher for Millwall. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/9399327.stm

I told my friend Lewis, who goes to Millwall, that this would happen.  Now, watch that shoulder...

Jonathan Wilson speaks to Shefki Kuqi.  Worth a read, this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/20/shefki-kuqi-interview

Kagisho Dikgacoi had a stormer for Palace, by various accounts.   Lovely to see, this.  He's a really good player and hopefully will force his way back into contention at Fulham.

White Noise

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,14320_6770309,00.html

KG happy with Eagles start

Kagisho Dikgacoi has admitted he was delighted to get his Crystal Palace career off to a winning start over the weekend.

After joining from Fulham on loan last week, the Bafana Bafana midfielder made his debut for the Championship side in Saturday's 1-0 victory over relegation rivals Sheffield United.

He will now face his international captain Aaron Mokoena when the Eagles clash with Portsmouth on Tuesday night and Dikgacoi revealed he has settled in well in south London.

"I only started training with the team on Thursday so it was difficult but it was a good win that the team really needed," the former Golden Arrows star exclusively told Football365.co.za.

"Sheffield United really attacked us in the first half but we defended well and after the break it was much better. I was so pleased to get a win on my debut.

"I haven't been playing for quite a long time but I didn't show any signs of being unfit.

"Obviously it will take a few more matches until I am back to my best shape so I'm looking forward to working hard and getting back to where I was before."

Dikgacoi added: "I'm looking forward to the match against Portsmouth and putting in the amount of effort we did on Saturday. Or perhaps even more."

After making just one substitute appearance for Fulham all season under Mark Hughes, Pitso Mosimane's decision to drop 'KG' for Bafana's 2-0 friendly win over Kenya finally paved the way for him to join Palace.

Dikgacoi is now targeting a return to the starting line-up in time for next month's crucial African Nations Cup showdown with Egypt.

"What I need most is game time - if I don't play for my club then I will not be selected for the national team," he added.

"I know that my Bafana place is under threat so I had to make the move.

"Lots of people have been saying that Egypt are dead and we are going to beat them but we know they are still a very good team.

"They have excellent players but it should be a really good game. We know if we win it then we have almost qualified for the finals."

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/02/20/fulham-s-damien-duff-should-return-for-manchester-city-clash-82029-28204023/

Fulham's Damien Duff should return for Manchester City clash

By Chris Slavin

Feb 20 2011

DAMIEN Duff should return for next Sunday's trip to Manchester City after missing Fulham's FA Cup knockout.

The Irish winger pulled up with a calf injury during training on Thursday and was forced to miss the 1-0 defeat to Owen Coyle's men.

It was a match that was crying out for Duff's creativity as Fulham barely had a meaningful chance against Bolton, but boss Mark Hughes says he is likely to be fit for the trip to Eastlands.

Hughes is also hopeful that Simon Davies will also be back in contention after injury.

White Noise

http://clarkeonenil.co.uk/front-page/the-other-91-basket-cases/leeds-united-and-the-other-91-basket-cases-only-fools

Leeds United And The Other 91 Basket Cases, Only Fools..

Feb 22nd, 11 / 0 Comments /

Paul mentions the big E!

Expectation – is it a burden or a motivator? In football terms, I suppose it's different things to different clubs. As a Fulham fan back in the 1995/96 season I was grateful that we managed to avoid relegation to the Conference. There was no expectation, just a relief that the club actually existed. That season marked the low-point and the start of a journey that has been quite unbelievable. If somebody had told me that within 16 years, the club would be in the top-flight for 10 consecutive seasons and would reach a European Final, I'd have said they needed a very long lay down in a darkened room.

As wonderful as that journey has been, on a personal level I've always tried to be realistic about the expectations for Fulham. For others, there has been an unreasonable (as I see it) rationale as the club has progressed. There is nothing wrong with ambition, but it has to be balanced with reality. Some people may consider my views as lacking aspiration or as killing a dream, but I have my position because ultimately our teams do let us down.

As the last of the winner's tickertape fluttered down in Hamburg at the end of the Europa League Cup Final and Fulham trudged off, thinking of what might have been – there were bound to be consequences. Firstly, Roy Hodgson became a managerial target and was bound to leave and secondly fans were thinking that Fulham "had arrived" and that 2011/12 would bring a top seven finish and domestic silverware.

Mark Hughes took over and after going unbeaten in the League in August and September, the remainder of 2010 became decidedly desperate. A Boxing Day mauling by bottom of the table West Ham at the Cottage and dropping into the bottom three made those balmy European nights seem a life-time away. The reality of relegation was an unwelcome apparition as 2011 awoke. I had that dread and fear in the stomach that comes from knowing your club is in trouble. Cold logic tells you that you've had a good run, 10 years in the Premier League has been a bonus. However, a positive run of results in both the League and FA Cup as January turns into February and suddenly there is a whiff of expectation. The FA Cup Fifth Round looms, you get a home tie against a fellow Premier League team. I'm expecting Fulham to win, for the first time this season I'm feeling confident. As I said earlier in this piece, eventually your team lets you down and it hurts. Now I'm looking worriedly at the remainder of the League fixtures and dreading the rest of the season. How can the result of one game make me feel so different?

Leeds United unlike Fulham is a "big-club". History, tradition, trophies, fans – and a huge expectation. But that expectation varies too. Those who think a mid-table finish this season would be creditable – those who feared a relegation battle – and those who see a second successive promotion. The trap has been laid, 14 games to go, sat in 6th place, just three points away from an automatic promotion spot – expectation level has been set. Barnsley come to Elland Road tonight, a win and the right results and Leeds could be second. And so the expectation would grow. Would that be the springboard to go on and clinch promotion? Would the pressure become too great? Expectation – is it a burden or a motivator?

He who dares Rodney. He who dares.....

Paul Hatt

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/02/22/win-manchester-city-v-fulham-tickets-82029-28212254/

Win Manchester City v Fulham tickets!

Feb 22 2011

FANCY watching Fulham take on Manchester City this weekend?

We have teamed up with Etihad Airways, Official Sponsor of Manchester City, to offer three lucky Fulham fans a pair of tickets to be at the City of Manchester Stadium for this Sunday's Premiership clash.

Mark Hughes and his team will be travelling north to Manchester seeking revenge for their 4-1 defeat to City at Craven Cottage earlier in the season.

To be in with a chance of winning tickets to this mouth watering clash, simply answer the following question:

Which Premiership club did Fulham boss Mark Hughes manage before taking over at Fulham?

To enter, visit our Facebook page, click 'like' and post your answer underneath the competition.

Competition closes midday tomorrow (Wednesday). Winners will be notified via Facebook within 24 hours. Normal competition rules apply.

White Noise

Intense Competition

Tuesday 22nd February 2011

Following Sunday's FA Cup exit at the hands of Bolton Wanderers, Fulham will return to Barclays Premier League action on Sunday when they travel to Eastlands to challenge Manchester City.

With Bobby Zamora returning to Fulham's First Team last weekend, Manager Mark Hughes has arguably his strongest squad of the season available for Sunday's match and Hughes will be looking for his players to impress in training this week before selecting his starting eleven.

"I'm constantly looking at how the players perform [in training], because I expect us to train how we play, so I'm looking to make sure the intensity is correct and that's reflected in my selections," Hughes told fulhamfc.com.

"It's not just a case of if a player played well two weeks ago they'll play this week. It's about making sure they're right for the game that's ahead of us, and that goes for every position."

Last week Hughes permitted two midfielder players, Bjorn Helge Riise and Kagisho Dikgacoi, to join Sheffield United and Crystal Palace respectively, on loan, for the remainder of the 2010/11 season. One midfield player who will be remaining at Fulham is Jonathan Greening, a player that Hughes stated is very much part of his future plans.

"Jonathan Greening will get game time with us, so I'm not looking to loan Jonathan out," Hughes explained. "I've let two midfield players go out on loan but he is very much in my thoughts. I don't want to spread us too thin and our numbers are correct now.

"He's [Greening] been unlucky just by consequence of the form of Danny Murphy. Jonathan, in his own right, is a very good player and he'll probably get game time between now and the end of the season."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/February/CompetitionForPlaces.aspx#ixzz1EhtHDlPF