watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Would You Want David Moyes At Fulham?

Started by White Noise, February 22, 2011, 03:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Some Evertonians have turned against him but is he the sort of manager you would want at Fulham?

Why Chelsea Cup display proved Everton fans are wrong to doubt David Moyes

By David Maddock

Published 13:48 22/02/11

There are times as a football reporter – and supporter – that you marvel in the glory of the beautiful game. There are times when it brings utter despair.

Last week, following Everton induced both emotions in equal measure. Perhaps the person who suggested sport reflects the glory and death of war without the human cost had a point.

When Phil Neville ran to his team's fans massed behind the Stamford Bridge goal, threw out his arms and proudly inflated his chest, it was one of those truly sublime moments that illuminate the history of the game.

Yet some of the almost hysterical chatter in the build up to the game was so depressing, it left a sense of near desolation at where the game is heading, and indeed where it has already arrived.

The chatter centred on manager David Moyes, and his influence over the team, and the depression came from the fact much of it was generated by Everton's own supporters.

Regular readers of this column will be aware of the regard in which Moyes is held. Outside the genius of those wizened veterans who have written pages of football history, he is the best manager in the Premier League, and possibly the best young manager in the world game.

Yet there are those amongst the Goodison faithful who would have him gone from their club, would look for change because he has not defied the odds this season quite as well as he has managed in the past.

The Premier League now is a simple matter of financial statistic. Your league position depends almost entirely on the wages you pay. Only two clubs have bucked that trend in the last decade.

One is Newcastle, who got relegated despite spending pots of cash on filling their players' bank accounts. The other is Everton, who have consistently finished higher than their necessarily careful wage bill would dictate.

Yet one season in which expectation has exceeded execution, and some of the people who praised him, now seek to bury him. If this what football has become, then it has descended into madness.

We have examined the arguments about Everton's position in previous columns, but in summary, despite a difficult campaign, they still have a better squad than most other Premier League sides, without the financial risk of many.

Yes, there are debts, but they could be wiped out completely by the sale of perhaps two players. And yes, other clubs can spend more on wages and transfers, but at what cost?

Surely there is a nobility in competing – and Everton have been hugely competitive over the past decade – within your means. Surely there is pride to be taken from the fact your club refuses to gamble its entire existence and remains admired by its competitors?

And surely too, you are allowed one bad season in a decade of good ones, especially when there are still very clear indicators the blip is merely that, a temporary setback in a plan that is still progressing forward.

Some fans had suggested Moyes could no longer motivate his dressing room. The performance and result at Chelsea certainly nailed that lie. Some had also suggested the current squad is not good enough. Again the lie was nailed.

More needs to be done at Goodison to make the club competitive. A new ground would be a start, and for all the excuses, one should have been built by now. Commercially too, a club of Everton's size and history needs to make more of its stature.

Yet they are still a strong Premier League side, with a strong squad and a solid commercial base compared to many others. When Bill Kenwright nobly rescued the club from oblivion (with not another taker in sight), that hardly seemed possible. And don't they say surviving is the only glory of war?

Moyes must take massive credit for that, and those Everton fans who were so quick to question him in the weeks before the Stamford Bridge triumph should step back for a second and wonder where their knee jerk reactions may lead.

It would be a shame if the best young manager in football – and people forget he is still young in management terms – would be lost to one of the best clubs in football.

Yes, this season has been disappointing, but isn't that what life is actually like? It seems society, and football fans in particular, have allowed the idiocy of Twitter's instant opinion mentality to obscure that fact by making permanent success apparently compulsory.

It was Confucius who said "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Everton proved that at the weekend, and their fans would do well to glory in it, not despair.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/david-maddock/David-Maddock-on-Everton-Why-Chelsea-FA-Cup-display-proved-Everton-fans-are-wrong-to-doubt-David-Moyes-article703927.html#ixzz1Ehcp7nw3

mike_f

Would you want Andréas Iniesta at Fulham?
Would you want Lionel Messi at Fulham?
Would you want José Mourinho at Fulham?

...ridiculous post

White Noise

Quote from: mike_f on February 22, 2011, 04:30:03 PM

...ridiculous post

Why is that then? Because you think Moyes will never leave Everton?

Out of interest, are you Irish Mike or Vital Football Mike?

mike_f

Quote from: White Noise on February 22, 2011, 04:32:51 PM
Quote from: mike_f on February 22, 2011, 04:30:03 PM

...ridiculous post

Why is that then? Because you think Moyes will never leave Everton?

Out of interest, are you Irish Mike or Vital Football Mike?
No because anyone wtih half a brain would take Moyes without giving it a second though.

I am Irish Mike, why?

MJG

I thought about it for a second and no I would not.
I see nothing in him that separates him from any other British manager. He changes formations from 451-433-442, everton in the years he has been there have never really excited and he usually reverts to one striker up front.
yes he has got some good players in during his time but I don't think he brings anymore to the table than people like Bruce etc.

BalDrick

There are far worse out there but at the moment I'm perfectly happy with who we've got.

Don't think Moyes would come to us - it's a backward step whatever way you look at it. Trouble is, he's hit a glass ceiling hasn't he? He's not going to get a top 4 job having failed to win anything at Everton. Think his next job - should he leave Everton - may be an international gig.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

White Noise

Fair enough. I agree. But clearly not everyone does. A fair number of people seem to see him as an uninspiring plodder. I ask the question because a lot of Fulham supporters have quite fixed ideas as to the sort of people they want managing the club and I am curious as to whether he fits the bill.

On the Mike thing, I get mixed up between all the Mike's is all. I think I remember you from the first breakaway TFI on the proboards format?

SmithyFFC

Yes 100%, easily one of the top 5 managers in the league.
FTID

mike_f

I can't believe that ye wouldn't want Moyes.

Champions League
Fa Cup finalists
Consistent top of the table challengers.

Signed:
Lescott
Joseph Yobo
Tim Cahill
Manuel Fernandes
Pienar
Baines
Neville
Arteta
Jagielka
among others

As for White Noise, I can't remember but I suspect  probably was. If I cause you any offence I do apologise, I'm normally just a wum on tfi and the other boards but I won't be on this board as I like this board.

MJG

If I was Moyes I would be looking two years ahead at when Alex goes.
I think he either goes to utd as no2 or goes abroad,Spain or Portugal and trys his luck there.although saying that his style is more suited to Germany.

White Noise

Quote from: mike_f on February 22, 2011, 05:01:24 PM

As for White Noise, I can't remember but I suspect  probably was. If I cause you any offence I do apologise, I'm normally just a wum on tfi and the other boards but I won't be on this board as I like this board.

None taken mate. Your more than welcome here. Might be worth mentioning that the tone on here is a bit less strident and blunt than on TIFF but as long as you play nice then people won't have a prpblem.  :54:

LRCN

if we had no manager then yeah but since we have hughes no.

finnster01

Yes without a doubt. At least Everton doesn't piss off on vacation after they have been kicked out of the FA Cup
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Hell No!

I could not look at those bulging eyes every week - one day they will pop right out of his head, mark my words...

clint23

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on February 22, 2011, 06:30:16 PM
Hell No!

I could not look at those bulging eyes every week - one day they will pop right out of his head, mark my words...

LOL   :005:

Burt

He is a good manager, a canny operator and someone who has kept the team going with relatively modest resources compared to clubs of a similar size.

I've got a lot of time for him.

But we have Hughes, and in Hughes we trust! COYW...

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Burt on February 22, 2011, 07:09:46 PM
He is a good manager, a canny operator and someone who has kept the team going with relatively modest resources compared to clubs of a similar size.

I've got a lot of time for him.

But we have Hughes, and in Hughes we trust! COYW...

Agree.

I think Moyes knows its time to leave Everton and its not impossible that they'd want Hughes.

I'd be entirely happy if Moyes ended up as FFC manager.

os5889

As we have Hughes its irrelevant heresay.

But if we were managerless or indeed any team were and Moyes was available I think he would be top of most lists.   

LRCN

talking about wages though, they have several players on 40, 50 60 grand a year i think so while their transfer fees are modest their wage bill is quite big (which comes from selling out 40k a week i guess)