watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Oh Barry Hayles....

Started by Supermitch, February 22, 2011, 10:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supermitch

Fair play to the big man.  Scored a hat rick for Truro in their clash of the top 2 at Salisbury in the Southern League Premier.
:57:

I saw him at Windsor around Christmas when he scored but was later off. :red:

mrska

Love the man... always popped up with a goal when we needed it..

LBNo11

...Sir Barrington Hayles / Harry Bayles, was another player given grief (from the enclosure) when he first came to Fulham from Brissle Rovers, but he stuck with it and won the fans over, particularly when Tigana took over, he seemed to shield the ball so much better and began to turn defenders with ease. The first time I saw him was when he was wearing a Stevenage Borough shirt playing against Woking, he was a real handful back then (mid '90's). Good to see that he still is around and banging in the goals in his late 30's...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Lighthouse

He got stick early on because he was rubbish. He looked nervous,his movement was poor and he couldn't finish for a Zamora. Then one day a little Elf called Pesch set him up with three easy chances. Well actually five but he misseed two. But scored the others and suddenly Hayles had confidence. I shall always remeMber the way Pesch played that day. A great Pro and a great team player as well.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Dragoman

Not the most gifted player by any means but his commitment was undeniable. It's great to see that he's still enjoying the game at 38.. and still doing well.

FatFreddysCat

Lighthouse is right he was really sheeeeet when he first joined and well over weight. But he became a leg (even for us in the enclosure). Oh Barry Hayles, Barry Barry Barry Hayles  :54:

The Doctor

There were a couple of old boys near us who never warmed to Barry Hayles.  On one occassion we heard them have a go at Hayles because Wayne Collins missed the goal.  Even when he scored, Hayles couldn't win them over..."Rubbish Hayles, you should have hit it with your left".

We took to calling them Waldorf and Statler

Burt

Quote from: The Doctor on February 23, 2011, 11:05:27 AM
There were a couple of old boys near us who never warmed to Barry Hayles.  On one occassion we heard them have a go at Hayles because Wayne Collins missed the goal.  Even when he scored, Hayles couldn't win them over..."Rubbish Hayles, you should have hit it with your left".

We took to calling them Waldorf and Statler

Was that in H block Stevenage Road?

We used to sit behind two old guys who were just like that. And they moaned about everything else too, so much so that at one point I asked them why the f--- they bothered coming to the matches if all they are going to do was bitch and groan throughout and spoil it for everyone else...

The Doctor

Which one of you techno-wizards has added those smileys then?  [Ah, I see now...just call me Sherlock!]  Quality work!

Burt, this was on the Hammersmith Terrace.  For a while they were always near us, no matter whether it was home or away.  It might be the same pair and they just moved around the ground.  They never came back after my mate's Dad had a go at them.  Apparently they had a pop at me and my mate (while we weren't there) for always arriving late and leaving early.  Mate's Dad turned round and not-so-calmly explained that we worked in the club shop and that if they didn't like it they could always choose to stand elsewhere.

They took him up on his offer and I've never seen them since.  But we still fondly remember them.  I can't watch an episode of The Muppets without hearing "Bloody hell, Hayles" hollered from the balcony

The Equalizer

Harry B is a legend!

A little story for you now... 'twas the night before the Nike 10K run at Richmond Park in 2002... young Mr Airfix had received, via one of this old work colleagues, an invite to a party in Shepperton at which one Mr Barrington E. Hayles would likely be in attendance. Somehow, he managed to blag me at invite as well...

Well, we attended the party. I got slightly squiffy and smoked a few too many cigarettes, when there was a small murmur amongst the crowd. The legend had arrived. He approached, he lightly knocked my shoulder as he passed, I nearly flew through the wall. The man was a monster, and I swear he was smuggling granite under that shirt.

We were introduced briefly, a little later that evening. I can't say what was said, simply because I couldn't make it out. He seemed to be speaking with a mouthful of meatballs or something. Still, he seemed like a nice bloke!

I'm sure Airfix can go into more details, as I said, I was very very drunk!  :wine:

By the way, we both ran the 10K the next morning.. somehow.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

dannydog

I was at that Windsor game too, couldn't believe it when they announced the goal scorer as Hayles ! Nasty challenge he got sent off for though. By the way Windsor and Eton have been wound up now due to debts of around 250,000. They are hoping to reform next season under a new name, luckily they can still use the ground as it is leased to them by Crown Estate. They will have to join the bottom of the non league pyramid. Shame as they had got to Southern League premier division.