watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'm English and I'm proud

Started by Bigmamma, February 25, 2011, 05:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gozorich

Can you please tell me what precisely you did to be English? Isn't any nationality just an accident of birth? :beer: :028:

epsomraver

To be born in England makes you English, the point Big Mamma is making is that all the other nations that make up" United kingdom" have their own national anthem, have their own parliament  and when you fill a form in now, English is not on it yet the others are.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Gozorich on February 26, 2011, 01:46:49 PM
Can you please tell me what precisely you did to be English? Isn't any nationality just an accident of birth? :beer: :028:

Which is why I am no fan of International Sports. However most of life is an accident but you still show loyalty ( a greater gift than love) to the place and the people around you. When you see the place you are loyal to being treated poorly or being made to feel ashamed of itself you feel aggrieved.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: epsomraver on February 26, 2011, 01:51:44 PM
To be born in England makes you English, the point Big Mamma is making is that all the other nations that make up" United kingdom" have their own national anthem, have their own parliament  and when you fill a form in now, English is not on it yet the others are.
No it dosent make you English. A dog born in a stable doesn't make it a horse. If my mum had been on holiday in Greece and i was born it wouldn't make me a bubble.

epsomraver

True Fred, the question was what precisely you need to make you English, the simple answer is to be born in England, to English parents would answer that,  to be  an Englishman by  actions and beliefs will take us down a path the mods would not like,  I know from your posts that you and I and Finn and others have similar views on this subject

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: epsomraver on February 26, 2011, 02:53:15 PM
True Fred, the question was what precisely you need to make you English, the simple answer is to be born in England, to English parents would answer that,  to be  an Englishman by  actions and beliefs will take us down a path the mods would not like,  I know from your posts that you and I and Finn and others have similar views on this subject
Goodman Mr Raver you know it makes sense. But as you say the mods wont like it so best left there  :033:

Gozorich

Fair enough, obviously being born in England makes you English but why are you proud of something over which you have no control?

'Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.'
George Bernard Shaw

I have no problems with people being 'proud' of their country but the way it is often expressed, such as is hinted here by a couple of posters, can lead to racism.

I think I have gone as far as I would wish with this emotive subject so I'll go back to the telly!

finnster01

Knock, Knock, "Whos there?"

The Moderators... :038:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

ImperialWhite

Filled in my census today - both "British" and "English" were choices on the form.

finnster01

Quote from: ImperialWhite on February 26, 2011, 03:54:36 PM

Filled in my census today - both "British" and "English" were choices on the form.
The problem in the US is that I am officially classified as a Resident Alien  :037: by the Department of Homeland Security, yet the forms over here have no slot for Mars or United Federation of Planets. Very disturbing.  :58:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

YankeeJim

Actually Finney, you are a documented worker as opposed to the 6 million or so undocumented workers that we have in California.  :001:

I think that when its all said & done we are tribal in our souls. Being English, as does being American, makes one feel a part of something, a sense of self so to speak. That might explain  while the aforementioned 6 million illegal aliens in California still identify with being Mexican dispite the fact that they have to come here to be able to eat. Their country has no opportunity for the average working man yet they still love it.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Jimbobob

Quote from: Gozorich on February 26, 2011, 03:36:53 PM

Fair enough, obviously being born in England makes you English but why are you proud of something over which you have no control?

'Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.'
George Bernard Shaw

I have no problems with people being 'proud' of their country but the way it is often expressed, such as is hinted here by a couple of posters, can lead to racism.

I think I have gone as far as I would wish with this emotive subject so I'll go back to the telly!

Using George Bernard Shaw as an example???? WHAT????... :doh: :doh: :doh:
                                                                       might want to rethink that one.

"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

Gozorich

Quote from: Jimbobob18 on February 26, 2011, 04:22:07 PM
Quote from: Gozorich on February 26, 2011, 03:36:53 PM

George Bernard Shaw

Using George Bernard Shaw as an example???? WHAT????... :doh: :doh: :doh:
                                                                       might want to rethink that one.

Sorry, don't understand. The fact that he was Irish does nothing to weaken or invalidate his comment. Please try not to be so patronising.

Lighthouse

Except being patriotic for most of us doesn't mean thinking your superior just loyal. I know my Football club are not the best in the World but I will sing and support them and wave flags becuase they are my team. In the same way as a player or manager can make you feel bitter about the club so too can the political elite in the Country. But George B Shaw as usual was wrong. Not because he wasn't English, just because he was wrong.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HatterDon

Cant be bothered to read four pages of this, but in case nobody else has pointed it out, Shaw was Irish and had nothing good at all to say about English literature in general and Shakespeare in particular.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: HatterDon on March 04, 2011, 09:37:57 PM
Cant be bothered to read four pages of this, but in case nobody else has pointed it out, Shaw was Irish and had nothing good at all to say about English literature in general and Shakespeare in particular.
No idea who Shaw is or his views,cant be bothered to google him either. Only discovered my Grandad was a Paddy rather than a Jock a couple of years back (he spoke like a sweaty) . Anyhow i now suffer from a weird Schizophrenia , as growing up the IRA used to bomb us ( very tame compared to you know who  :033:) and i hated them with a vengenge. on the other side my cousins are very very very Orange to say the least ( as LB will confirm meeting my WHO mad cousin) and i met some as Danny Dyer would say very Nawty people when i went out  to Ulster for a funeral. But i'm now falling for all them romantic American pro Irish/ evil English sort of films. Sould we just blow the Emerald Isles up ? Obviosly we'd get the Irish Foffers out first. but it would end my very occasional mental turmoil. so surely worth the descruction of a windswept bankrupt country for my peace of mind no?