watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sparky Fancy's A Crack At The England Job

Started by White Noise, February 27, 2011, 10:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/02/27/2371057/fulham-boss-mark-hughes-im-a-british-manager-and-would-never-say-

Fulham boss Mark Hughes: I'm a British manager and would never say no to England

Sparky ready for new international role

By Matthew Woodward

27 Feb 2011 09:07:00

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has stated that he would never turn down the opportunity to replace England manager Fabio Capello, as it is "one of the top jobs in world football".

Hughes will return to Eastlands on Sunday for the first time since being sacked by Manchester City back in 2009, but is looking for a position much higher than the one he previously occupied with the Citizens.

The 47-year-old claimed that nobody would question him for taking the helm of another international team such as Spain or France, and argues why it should be any different with the soon-to-be available England role.

"I'm a professional football manager and the England manager's job is one of the top jobs in world football," said Welshman Hughes, according to The News of the World.

"Would I have any qualms about taking Italy or Spain if it was presented? No.

"So why would I have a problem taking the England job if it was offered to me? I wouldn't.

"To be a manager you need longevity and those jobs present themselves from time to time.

"I've managed Wales, but that wouldn't stop me taking another job with an international team. I'm a British manager."

Despite being open to the role, Hughes admits that Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is most likely to land the job.

"Harry Redknapp's had success in the Champions League so everyone understands that if England make a change then it's probably going to be Harry and he will deserve it."

Fulham's boss enjoyed a five-year stint with the Wales national team from 1999-2004, and so nearly secured them a place in the 2004 European Championships in Portugal.

He led them to victory over giants Italy in the group stages, but lost out to Russia in qualifying for the final tournament.

"We came up against Italy in the qualifiers and Giovanni Trapattoni was their manager so it would have been easy to think we would be out of our depth.

"A lot of people might see international football as a pension, but for me it was an opportunity to prove I could prepare teams.

"At that level you have to be sharp, focused and tactically astute because otherwise you will be 3-0 down within 15 minutes."

The FA have openly discussed their desire for the next England manager to be English, but the former Manchester United and Chelsea striker would be a near-fit as a British citizen.

However, Hughes believes that people wrongly judge managers based on the number of trophies they win, and claims it is more difficult than ever to win silverware in the Premier League.

"People judge managers on whether they have won a trophy, but I work in a league where it's difficult to do that.

"The Premier League is difficult, challenging and competitive, but I can still prepare a team to compete tactically.

"A lot of foreign managers don't understand the intensity and the demands of English football.

"If British managers are to be judged on the amount of trophies they have won then it's not going to be a very impressive list because they don't get the top jobs.

"The fans, media and chairmen have to understand there are good British managers getting results against the top teams in the Premier League week in, week out.

"It doesn't seem to register that we are up against Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester United and Manchester City - some of the best teams in Europe.

"When I watch the early rounds of the Champions League there are teams playing who aren't as good as my Fulham team.

"It's only in the latter stages the quality improves and that's when it becomes the best club competition in the world."

The ex-Manchester City boss will return to Eastlands today with his new club Fulham, and stresses that he has nothing to prove to his former employers.

"Initially what happened at City [his sacking] was raw and it affected my ability to watch football matches.

"It wasn't my club but it was my job and it had been taken away, I was only passing through as far as they were concerned and they have moved on.

"I'm not beating myself up about it, the players were strong for me and they showed a lot of leadership.

"This is the first time I have been back, but I will walk through the door with my head held high.

"I can look people in the eye but I'm not so sure others will be able to do the same to me.

"I will walk down the corridors, but a few people might see me coming and decide to jump into a side office."

Lighthouse

Glad to see he has no bitterness now over the City Job.  :doh:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

I just read the NOW article he has done, god get over it...your Fulham manager now concentrate on that. He would have done better to shut his mouth leading up to this game, he said enough last time.