News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do you think Mark Hughes has lived up to Roy Hodgson?

Started by BlacknWhite, March 05, 2011, 12:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlacknWhite

After sparkys rough entrance to craven cottage he seems to have turned a corner. But has he got the team playing like they were last season?

Admin

I think Mark is a totally different character to Roy and they shouldn't be compared. Mark will never top what Roy did and Roy will never achieve what Mark has to date by bringing that extra bite to Fulham F.C.

Tktd

You have to realise the magnitude of what Hodgson accomplished at Fulham - that said though he's definately going in the right direction.

My only cause for concern is that Hughes normally takes half a season to get the team playing and is quite erratic in his form - he normally has an average season where his team ends up mid table/bottom table and then another season where he does well - top 10...

I'm interested to see if he can change this though and improve and create a more consistant format givn the resources available.

Do I think he'll have as good a time at Fulham as Hodgson did - I doubt it - Hodgson had some incredible moments here... Do I hope he does - of course! I would quite like it if he stopped creating issues out of nothing like shaking hands for example - it's unneccessary and almost always seems to be a bit hypocritical... let the teams play talk for him.

I do though like his mentality that he's trying to instill in the players - there's definately the winning mentality and outlook in the way he speaks about the prospects and what he expects which is a step up from the understated manner but hopefully all will come together soon.

Lighthouse

No they are not playing like they were last season. Different tactics and different philosophy. Hughes looks forward and Roy looked to organise. Roy had a team who trained to do  a job. Hughes has a team who are told to press the opposition.

Given time we will see how or if Hughes can turn his Fulham into a successful one. For me it is more entertaining to watch. Roys team did have two magical moments. The relegation escape and Europa. Hughes has had 'nearly' moments. But give him time and if he stays who knows. He is certainly going in the right direction.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BlacknWhite

That said, who though Hughes was going to get the sack earlier in the season?

FFCSteve

Different characters, different style of play.
I much prefer the way we play now, (Cant believe how high up the pitch Brede was at city) & with our injury woes behind us, hopefully we will see our real potential under Mark.

It's odd, I thought Roy was settled with us, & would be here till the England job was available. Then he left!
With Mark, I get the feeling he won't be around for long. I still dont think he is over Eastlands.
So hopefully with thinking Roy was staying, &  Mark is not going to stay very long, hell be here for a decent period.
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

HatterDon

I'm sorry, but I think this is silly. Hughes has us playing brilliant football. We're a threat to anyone in the league, and he's done it with scarcely time to get prepared at the beginning of the season and the loss of the England striker that leads our line.

I respect Roy for what he did, but I much prefer the way we approach matches now. I don't think Mark has to "live up to Roy Hodgson," and I think we would have all gotten past this by now.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

epsomraver

Quote from: Admin on March 05, 2011, 12:24:42 PM
I think Mark is a totally different character to Roy and they shouldn't be compared. Mark will never top what Roy did and Roy will never achieve what Mark has to date by bringing that extra bite to Fulham F.C.

totally agree with that

FatFreddysCat

I cant see us ever getting to anouther European final, but we are certainly much more exciting to watch. 2 more away wins this season as well, of that i have no doubt.

ron

I can't dismiss the thought from my mind that Martin O'Neill will write a chapter in the annals of this club before he chooses the pipe and slippers.

Willard

O'Neill? Sorry, I don't agree. His time has gone. Just like Curbishly, Megson, Allardyce etc.

Matt

It took some time for him to get it right just as it did for him with Blackburn. He is not and will probably not ever be a favourite for me Mr. Hughes but as long as he his manager for my club, he has got my support. As many of you lot say he wants us to play football and he should get credit for that, I hope he'll get the results with him as well from now on.
Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Willard on March 05, 2011, 08:37:10 PM
O'Neill? Sorry, I don't agree. His time has gone. Just like Curbishly, Megson, Allardyce etc.
Well Villa have certainly gone downhill fast since he left. must admit although Hughes was my first choice for manager i'd have gone for O'Neil if he was available, but i wouldn't swop now.

Bigmamma

Hodgson rebuilt the team.  Hughes is moving it forward.  I like the attacking style more under Hughes.   

I miss Pansil though.  No more lap of honours  :012:

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Bigmamma on March 05, 2011, 08:53:51 PM
Hodgson rebuilt the team.  Hughes is moving it forward.  I like the attacking style more under Hughes.   

And no more own goals  :54:

Bigmamma

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 05, 2011, 08:58:22 PM
Quote from: Bigmamma on March 05, 2011, 08:53:51 PM

And no more own goals  :54:

There is that I suppose

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: HatterDon on March 05, 2011, 01:53:20 PM

I respect Roy for what he did, but I much prefer the way we approach matches now. I don't think Mark has to "live up to Roy Hodgson," and I think we would have all gotten past this by now.
Totally,can we please stop looking backwards now and look forwards please? what's gone is gone let's make new history!