more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How Do You Rate AJ's Impact

Started by White Noise, March 07, 2011, 10:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Blingo

not a great fan tbh. Thought we did much better when he wasnt in the side.

jarv

Highly, he is a thorn in the side of any defender. All he needs to do now is bag a few goals.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Blingo on March 07, 2011, 12:05:25 PM
not a great fan tbh. Thought we did much better when he wasnt in the side.

Seriously? AJ coming back into form coincided with our recent run.

For me, he has been excellent over the last 2 months but was struggling before that. He has scored a couple and laid on several assists. Along with this, he stretches defences and gives defenders a headache. If he was slightly taller and stronger, he would be an excellent player.

He also should have got two penalties on sat.

mrska

He's been amazing.. His work rate is 2nd to none and his ball play is so intelligent.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: mr_ska on March 07, 2011, 12:33:14 PM
He's been amazing.. His work rate is 2nd to none and his ball play is so intelligent.

RE: his work rate, the penalty that was not given in the 1st half when AJ beat the much bigger and stronger Samba to the ball exemplifies this.

sipwell

I think the pace of AJ adds something to a game where we have slower midfielders who can hold a ball. I like his onside/offside pattern. He creates danger, has given an assist last week and is generally very dangerous when he can run. If we start playing long balls, he is absolutely useless but Fulham shouldn't play on long balls in the first place.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Oakeshott

In my view AJ looks better now than at any time in his Fulham career and if he sustains that level of performance he should always be an automatic pick for the first team (along with Mark S, our two brilliant centre backs, Danny, Steve Sidwell, Demps., Duffers, Moussa and Bobby). Indeed, I don't think an England re-call out of the question.

Blingo

Very serious AFC, I really do not think he cuts it for a 10 million pounds player.

HatterDon

It's amazing to me what some people see out there.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

richie17

I just don't rate him.   This pace of his is so great that he never out-runs his man.  Nothing sticks.  When did you last see him strike a ball cleanly?  Make a good pass?  I think having AJ in the side is like playing with 10 men sometimes (why doesn't Michael Owen ever get games now?  Same reasons, I suspect). 

Yes, he runs around a lot, but so too do other players.   I wonder if this isn't the English obsession with work-rate - we'll forgive anyone anything as long as they look busy.

Against this, I appreciate that he had a good, niggling game on Saturday, but as a rule I think we're much better without him.

(and I'm almost never negative about Fulham players)

BalDrick

I'm not a huge fan either but have to admit, he's done nothing to merit being dropped at the moment. Shame because I had high hopes for Gudjohnsen but can't see him getting much game time with AJ in this form.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: richie17 on March 07, 2011, 02:01:43 PM
I just don't rate him.   This pace of his is so great that he never out-runs his man.  Nothing sticks.  When did you last see him strike a ball cleanly?  Make a good pass?  I think having AJ in the side is like playing with 10 men sometimes (why doesn't Michael Owen ever get games now?  Same reasons, I suspect). 

Yes, he runs around a lot, but so too do other players.   I wonder if this isn't the English obsession with work-rate - we'll forgive anyone anything as long as they look busy.

Against this, I appreciate that he had a good, niggling game on Saturday, but as a rule I think we're much better without him.

(and I'm almost never negative about Fulham players)

It is very unusual for you not to appreciate  a player, but I am really confused as to why you cannot see what AJ adds.

For me it is not that he runs around a lot, I thought he gave Samba a real problem when the ball was played along the floor, and the pace he added up front meant that everytime we put a ball over the top of their defence, Samba (who is a good player on the ball for a CB) was no nonsense and put if for a throw because AJ was buzzing about.

I know the ball does not stick to him but he is obviously not a target man. Last season we were fine without him because BZ exploded but the year before he was an integral part of the team. Who would not have wanted him in the final in Hamburg?

I think the most interesting thing that AJ adds is the ability to have a plan b. I love Zamora but I feel we have a tendency to over-rely on him when he plays (long balls) whilst with AJ we have to be more selective with the passing (not that we always are). We can now go legitimately 'small ball' up front when AJ plays.

Unfortunately for AJ I think he will be riding the bench before too long.

fulhamguy

When did you last see him strike a ball cleanly?  Make a good pass? 

His fantastic ball to Duff for the Man City equaliser.

He does a job for the team. Pulls centre halves all over the pitch to create space and does it brilliantly. Should have had two pens on Saturday.

Agreed, he needs to score more and isn't a £10m player but that price was a few years ago in an inflated market.
COYW!

richie17

Quote from: fulhamaustin on March 07, 2011, 02:24:13 PM

He does a job for the team. Pulls centre halves all over the pitch to create space and does it brilliantly. Should have had two pens on Saturday.

Agreed, he needs to score more and isn't a £10m player but that price was a few years ago in an inflated market.

ha, you're right. Other than that though?

OtterFFC

I have been really impressed with him since he returned and got back up to full match fitness.  He makes some lovely runs down to the by line and puts some tempting balls across the face of the goal.  I think with him and Bobby buzzing around the box, they will give defenders absolute nightmares.

It just when our midfield punt long hopeful balls up to him, that he looks out of his depth.  Generally there are 2 big beast centre backs to clear out both AJ and the ball!

simplyfulham

Quote from: fulhamaustin on March 07, 2011, 02:24:13 PM

I agree totally, it's not so much he has a lot of pace, it's more anticipation, good movement and a willingness to play at full pace 90mins long.

Burt

It depends on your point of view as to why we splashed the cash on him.

On the one hand, he was brought in to score goals, and he hasn't really impressed in this department yet, either before or following his injury.

On the other hand, there is no doubt he is as fit as a fiddle, with a strong work ethic, and a real ability to trouble the other side. To that extent I am more impressed with him now before his injury.

So the jury is out for me. If he can start popping a few in the net as well as making himself a thorn in the opposition's side, then simples, he will be a high impact player.

clint23

AlFayedsChequebook

Since we have started playing well (Stoke Away), over the last 10 games,  AJ has contributed the following:

3 assists - Stoke, Stoke, Man City
2 goals - Wigan, Villa

A decent return. Maybe not the return of a £10m striker but we obviously paid over the odds - is that AJ's fault?

His stats in 08/09 were 7 goals scored, 4 assists - is he more of a rounded player now?

(interestingly, Moussa has only 1 assist since the game against stoke. I still think he has helped make us look better, but in terms of 'end product'....)