watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (08.03.11)

Started by White Noise, March 08, 2011, 06:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham set to sign Israeli kid Altman after midfielder's trials with Liverpool and Arsenal

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 9:18 PM on 7th March 2011

Fulham look set to win the battle for Israeli midfielder Omri Altman.

The 16-year-old from Maccabi Tel Aviv had trials with Liverpool and Arsenal last year.

Meanwhile Millwall have signed Tottenham winger Andros Townsend, 19, on loan for the rest of the season, while Crystal Palace are to sign midfielder Kemy Agustien from Swansea on loan.

Coup: Fulham manager Mark Hughes is set to sign Omri Altman

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1363952/Fulham-set-sign-Omri-Altman-trials-Liverpool-Arsenal.html#ixzz1FxAYIzo7

White Noise

Ref Clattenburg takes month off to move out of spotlight following heavy criticism

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 1:11 AM on 8th March 2011

Mark Clattenburg is expected to take a month off from refereeing in the Premier League as a reaction to the criticism he has received following a tortuous week.

The Tyneside official is believed to have told friends he is disillusioned with the reaction to high profile incidents involving Wayne Rooney and Mario Balotelli, followed by the storm when he awarded a late penalty to Fulham against Blackburn.

The 35-year-old, who has been on the Select Group of refs since 2004, is understood to have suggested to boss Mike Riley that the March fixture list, which features only one round of Premier League games as a result of FA Cup and international dates, would be an ideal time to take a break.

Take a break: Clattenburg has come under fire for his decisions in recent matches

It is not known if he will continue to be available for UEFA commitments.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1364012/Mark-Clattenburg-takes-weeks-following-heavy-criticism.html#ixzz1FzJQyywE

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/loaner-report-3711/

Loaner Report 3/7/11

Filed under: General — timmyg @ 3:30 am

(Unless stated otherwise, all games occurred on Saturday)

We have another loaner to join the merry ranks! Blue-chip teenager Lauri Dalla Valle joined League One side Bournemouth last week on a one-month loan. He came off the bench in the 70th minute and scored a goal on his debut, 10 minutes in.

Lauri Dalla Valle goal vs. Oldham

Eddie Johnson started and played 90 minutes in Preston North End's 1-1 draw at Norwich.

Bjorn Helge Riise started and played 90 minutes in Sheffield United's 1-0  loss to Derby.

Kagisho Dikgacoi started and played 68 minutes in Crystal Palace's 1-0  loss at Burnley.

Keanu Marsh-Brown started and played 60 minutes in MK Dons' 4-1 win at Rochdale.

Courtney Harris came off the bench in the 76th minute in Bromley's 3-1 loss at Welling United last Wednesday (at least according to one of the club's twitter pages). On Saturday, Harris did not play in Bromley's 2-0 loss to Havant & Waterlooville (remember them?)

White Noise

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/03/07/in-defence-of-mark-clattenburg-read-before-passing-judgement/

In Defence of Mark Clattenburg: Read Before Passing Judgement

by Poco T on March 7th, 2011

The internet is brilliant for meeting people and making friends, unfortunately I very much expect to do the opposite with this blog but here goes nothing...

Mark Clattenburg was right to award Fulham a penalty against Blackburn Rovers this weekend. Phew, that feels much better to have said it out loud. Please allow me to explain why.

Perhaps not to the same extent as Charlie Sheen, but Mark Clattenburg has had a tough week. It seems so long ago now but last week Mark Clattenburg was criticised for not sending off Wayne Rooney after he deliberately elbowed James McCarthey in the seventh minute of Wigan vs Manchester United. Uproar was soon to follow as the FA announced they would not be investigating the situation any further. The reason that Wayne Rooney escaped any punishment is because Mark Clattenburg had dealt with the situation and due to one of the FA's many stuffy laws, once an incident has been dealt with there will be no further investigations. This whole situation has left Clattenburg so frustrated and feeling so powerless, which is why he is sadly questioning whether he wants to continue as a top flight referee. Wayne Rooney could have been in trouble with the FA were it not simply for the honesty and integrity of Clattenburg. Last Monday morning, the FA's disciplinary department emailed Clattenburg the standard incident form. Here the procedural problems preventing justice were exposed again.

Any form Mark was sent would have contained two questions, the first part would say 'Did you see the incident, the coming together of players?' Mark couldn't lie. He'd not seen the elbow but he'd seen a coming together, because he awarded a free kick. On these emails, there's an attachment saying that if you haven't seen the incident, go to the second part. That has a video clip and you have to re-referee the clip. But Mark was powerless. He'd been honest and said he'd seen the incident. Having seen the incident again on TV, he knew it was a red card by Rooney but he couldn't do anything." Mark Clattenburg did everything right in the moment of the coming together by seeking evidence quickly from Wayne "I didn't do nuffin' mate" Rooney and James McCarthey who to his credit simply said "I don't know what's gone on." One of Clattenburg's colleagues then informed him via his headset that 'it was just a coming together'. After not seeing the off the ball incident, all of the evidence suggested just a free-kick should be awarded with no further action required. Mark Clattenburg could do no more. He is the one being punished when he has not done anything wrong, but his honesty is to be admired as he told the FA he had seen the incident and had dealt with it. It is a shame that Wayne Rooney seems to be avoiding any blame whilst being completely dishonest. That's the modern footballer unfortunately.

That brings us to this weekend. Mark Clattenburg awarded a penalty in the last minute of Fulham v Blackburn and was right to award it, but is still under scrutiny long after the match had finished. Blackburn's Grant Hanley had wrestled Aaron Hughes out of the way as the cross came in and it was Hanley who cleared it. Clattenburg had a great view of the incident and had no other choice but to award the penalty to Fulham. What's interesting to note is that Grant Hanley did not protest the decision, instead leaving that to Samba who perhaps felt it was he who was judged to have committed the foul after a nothing push on Zamora. It was great to see Bobby Zamora back after a six month lay-off with a broken leg and score the winner – it is a shame the tabloids couldn't have made that their headline. As soon as Mark Clattenburg had blown for full time, Blackburn's Gäel Givet ran on to the pitch without his boots on – he must've known he wouldn't need them for a while as he was promptly sent off for his aggressive protest.

Once again, Hanley looked on as others protested his innocence and I respect him for accepting he was in the wrong. Jason Roberts did his best to calm the Blackburn players and deserves a mention as he has always been such a gentleman of the game and knew the referee had got it spot-on. After the match Blackburn's manager Steve Kean, said: "He felt there was enough there to give a penalty but I felt it was not as aggressive or powerful because Aaron Hughes never went to ground. "I respect his decision, it is technically a penalty but there were 10 of them in that game. If you give one, you have to give the rest." These sentiments were echoed by the pretentious Alan Shearer on Match of the Day, who said "If you're gonna give a penalty for that you're gonna have 7 or 8 a game". Wrong. I continued to watch MOTD and made a note of the corners shown throughout all the matches, including the ones that lead to Gary Cahill's brace and Scharner's header from what looked like an impossible angle.

There were 9 corners shown overall on MOTD and in none of the other examples were there any situations where a referee should have awarded a penalty, let alone 7 or 8. The reason being that when the ball is dead for a corner there will be the inevitable pushing and pulling, but when the ball comes into play that all stops for fear of committing a foul. Unfortunately for Blackburn, Hanley continued to wrestle Hughes once the corner had been taken, giving Mark Clattenburg no other option but to award a penalty.

It annoys me that the best referee this country has to offer is under constant scrutiny for every decision, right or wrong. Gary Lineker chipped in with one of his pathetic, patronising comments on MOTD when he said "and he gave a yellow card but it was nothing like an elbow". Mark Clattenburg probably makes in a year what a lot of the top Premiership players earn in a week yet continues to have his life intruded and criticised for getting decisions right. He is a big football fan and it would be such an injustice if this man were to be forced out of the game that he loves so much.

White Noise

Chelsea - The Kakuta Conundrum!

Having gone on loan, just down the Fulham Road, you`d have expected Gael Kakuta to be reaping the benefits, after all isn`t that the purpose of sending a player out on loan?

But that doesn`t appear to be the case!

Gael is finding it just as hard to get valuable match-time at Craven Cottage as he did at Stamford Bridge with Saturday being an ideal example.

Once again Gael didn`t make Mark Hughes` starting eleven and once again he was restricted to less than fifteen minutes of action as Hughes introduced him as a late substitute.

Comments left on the Vital Fulham site seem to mirror our own feelings about giving the youngster more time on the pitch as he strives to make an impression.

But something inside of me feels that Gael may well have been better going elsewhere on loan but where would you send him?

Obviously we`d be reticent to loan him away from English football as the player needs to pick up on the speed and physical attributes of our native game.

There`s also the problem of dropping him down a division to the Championship, whilst it may well serve the likes of Jeffrey Bruma, Jack Cork, Jacob Mellis and Patrick van Aanholt, you get the impression that a drop down into that league may well prove a step to physical for Gael.

So, in a roundabout way, we`ve found ourselves back where we started - back in the Premier League, which makes you ask the question as to whether Fulham might not have been the correct destination.

Whilst it`s physical location lends itself well to keeping a watchful eye on Gael, it`s worth noting that Mark Hughes has in his squad players like Damien Duff, Zoltan Gera and Dembele Moussa all of whom are more experienced and likely to get the nod ahead of Gael.

Looking elsewhere, we have Daniel Sturridge performing wonders at Bolton and Michael Mancienne who, when not injured, is integrated into a variety of positions by Wolverhampton Wanderers.

But if we are to look at an alternative Premier League destination for Gael, the field is narrowed down considerably when it comes to a suitable destination; those staring relegation in the face are reluctant to take a risk on somebody who has yet to turn on the style in the Premier League.

As for the higher echelons, once again there`s the risk factor which leads us right back to the original crux of this article - where do you place a player like Gael on loan?

Read more: http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=522454#ixzz1FwGplslD

White Noise

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/03/07/SOCCER_Fulham_Zamora.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

ZAMORA READY FOR SUPER SUB ROLE

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora does not expect to walk straight back into Mark Hughes' starting XI despite scoring his first goal since returning from a broken leg.

The England international, who came off the bench to slam home a decisive penalty in the 3-2 over Blackburn on Saturday, told the club's official website that the number of options available to Hughes mean that nobody is guaranteed to start.

"There are so many attacking options now I don't expect to come back in," said Zamora. "I'm happy to play my part coming on off the bench."

A recent run of good form has steered Fulham away from the relegation battle and Zamora feels that Hughes now has a squad brimming with quality players to select from in the closing weeks of the season.

"Just looking at the bench, it's frightening. The options are brilliant and I think anyone can go in and do a good job. You have to be on top form every week in training to be able to get in that starting eleven."

Zamora signed a new contract at Fulham back in September before breaking his leg the next day in a match against Wolves.

It was initially feared that he would not play again this season but the ex-Tottenham forward believes the club's medical staff have helped him return ahead of schedule.

"I've been pretty lucky all through my career not to pick up anything major and I suppose that was my time but we've got a good medical team and I managed to come back."

White Noise

Match Winner

Monday 7th March 2011

Bobby Zamora kept his cool to drill home a last minute penalty against Blackburn Rovers at the Cottage on Saturday to earn Fulham all three points and the striker was evidently delighted to have secured the win after a hard fought 90 minutes.

"I don't normally take penalties," Zamora told fulhamfc.com after the match. "I think there were a few nervous people out there to be fair.

"It was a chance for me to get on the score sheet so I was happy to take the penalty. Danny was off, who is the regular penalty-taker. Clint picked up the ball and passed it to me and I only had one thing in my mind.

"We were under the cosh a little bit, they [Blackburn] play a certain way and it's hard to play against. We didn't play our best football but the lads have been tremendous, showed great character, worked right to the end and got all three points.

"We've got so many good attacking options that we always expect to score and the lads at the back, as usual, are always tight and make our job that much easier. Our goal difference is where it is because they're doing their job so well."

Zamora's target is to achieve full match fitness over the coming weeks but with Fulham's attacking options now as strong as ever this season the England international knows he will have to earn his place back in Mark Hughes' starting eleven.

"The lads have been a different standard all season in terms of work ethic," said Zamora. "There are so many attacking options now; I don't expect to come back in.

"I'm happy to play my part coming on off the bench. It's a shame that it's so close to the end of the season, for me it's a case of getting properly fit and hopefully doing well - that's my goal.

"Just looking at the bench, it's frightening. The options are brilliant and I think anyone can go in and do a good job. You have to be on top form every week in training to be able to get in that starting eleven."

Zamora is clearly loving being back in the thick of the action after several months of recovery and rehabilitation. The striker admits there have been some difficult moments on the sidelines this season but is now enjoying the results of all his hard work in the gym.

"Everyone knows it's tough when you're injured and trying to get back but we've got a great medical team and it's thanks to them that I managed to make a straightforward recovery," Zamora explained.

"I've been pretty lucky all through my career not to pick up anything major and I suppose that was my time but, as I said, we've got a good medical team and I managed to come back.

"It was hard watching them [the other players] outside when I was in the gym – that's the hardest part but I always used to walk past and give them a bit of banter and abuse! It's lovely to be back training."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/ZamoraRoversReaction.aspx#ixzz1Fv0uaZjP

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11694_6800201,00.html

Duo revved up for Carr chase

Fulham & Stoke keep eye on Blues skipper

By Pete O'Rourke - Follow me on Twitter @skysportspeteo   

Last updated: 7th March 2011   

Carr: Attracting attention

Skysports.com understands Fulham and Stoke are considering moves for Birmingham defender Stephen Carr.

Carr has been in outstanding form for Birmingham this season and put in a brilliant performance in last weekend's Carling Cup final win over Arsenal.

The former Tottenham and Newcastle star, who has just over a year to run on his current contract, has rolled back the years this term with a number of eye-catching performances.

Carr has virtually been an ever-present for Birmingham this season and his form has not gone unnoticed by other clubs.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes and Stoke chief Tony Pulis are both thought to be in the market for a new right-back for next season and they are believed to be weighing up moves for Carr.

Birmingham would be loath to lose their skipper as Alex McLeish looks to build on his side's Carling Cup success this season and their plans for European football next term.

White Noise

Loan Star

Monday 7th March 2011

After sealing a loan move to AFC Bournemouth on Friday afternoon, Fulham striker Lauri Dalla Valle made the perfect start to life at Dean Court on Saturday afternoon with superbly taken goal in Bournemouth's 3-0 win over Oldham Athletic.

Dalla Valle was introduced after 70 minutes at Dean Court and it didn't take long for striker to make an impact, smashing a left footed drive into the back of the net from the edge of the area after 81 minutes.

After the game the Finnish youngster spoke of his desire to get game time under his belt at Dean Court during the month of March and has clearly been impressed by the manner in which Bournemouth go about their business on the pitch.

"I was delighted to get the goal and it was a very good debut for me," said Dalla Valle. "We won the game and that was the most important thing. I just want to get as many games under my belt as possible and try to score as many goals as I can.

"I want to help the team. It will be up to the manager whether I start against Exeter. This is the first time I have been on loan and I want to show people what I am capable of. Bournemouth are second in League One and, like me, they are ambitious to progress.

"Before I came here, I didn't know too much about League One or Bournemouth so did some research on the Internet. I know some of the teams in this division like to play the long-ball game but Bournemouth are not one of them. That suits me because I like to play the way they like to play."

Saturday's win helped AFC Bournemouth open up a four-point gap in second place in League One and Cherries manager Lee Bradbury is clearly delighted to have signed Dalla Valle on loan for one month.

"Lauri has come in with a big reputation for being a good goalscorer," said Bradbury. "It was said he was the best finisher to come out of the Liverpool Academy and things like that aren't said lightly.

"He had one half-chance on his weaker foot and it was a great finish. He has got a good touch, he likes to run in behind and works very hard. He is another player we can rely on to compete in every game."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/LDVLoanStar.aspx#ixzz1FuR7wADA

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on March 08, 2011, 06:53:50 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11694_6800201,00.html

Duo revved up for Carr chase

Fulham & Stoke keep eye on Blues skipper

By Pete O'Rourke - Follow me on Twitter @skysportspeteo   

Last updated: 7th March 2011   

Carr: Attracting attention

Skysports.com understands Fulham and Stoke are considering moves for Birmingham defender Stephen Carr.

Carr has been in outstanding form for Birmingham this season and put in a brilliant performance in last weekend's Carling Cup final win over Arsenal.

The former Tottenham and Newcastle star, who has just over a year to run on his current contract, has rolled back the years this term with a number of eye-catching performances.

Carr has virtually been an ever-present for Birmingham this season and his form has not gone unnoticed by other clubs.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes and Stoke chief Tony Pulis are both thought to be in the market for a new right-back for next season and they are believed to be weighing up moves for Carr.

Birmingham would be loath to lose their skipper as Alex McLeish looks to build on his side's Carling Cup success this season and their plans for European football next term.

Pass
Fulham for life!

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/fulham-review-the-great-escape-on-kindle/

Fulham Review: The Great Escape on Kindle

Filed under: General — rich @ 6:58 am

Hi

Pardon the interruption, but by way of experiment I've published the Great Escape version of the Fulham Review on Kindle.   It's £2.14, or $3, which seemed to be the cheapest option available to me.

You can find it here,  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fulham-Review-2007-08-Escape/dp/B004QOA7CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299565587&sr=1-1  and it should work from the UK or elsewhere.

NB, I have simply uploaded the content, so it hasn't been reformatted, but I wanted to see how this might work out.  We've all but sold out of this edition and also the electronic approach cuts down on costs and work.

Cheers

Rich

PS happy to send a PDF version for the same price if preferable.  Paper copies of all in-print books remain available at www.godsfoot.com.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6801667,00.html

Fulham land Israeli starlet

Cottagers to sign Altman

By Graeme Bailey - Follow me on Twitter @graemebailey   

Last updated: 8th March 2011   

Fulham look to have beaten a host of Premier League clubs to sign Israeli starlet Omri Altman.

The 16-year-old midfielder has attracted attention from a number of clubs in recent months, and spent time training with Liverpool and Arsenal last year.

He has also spent time with Fulham, who have now pushed through a deal with his club Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Maccabi have confirmed that they have concluded a deal with the Cottagers for Altman, who turns 17 at the end of this month.

A statement from Maccabi read: "Maccabi Tel Aviv have reached agreement with English side Fulham for the transfer of youth player Omri Altman.

"The transfer is now dependant on him signing his professional contract."

Maccabi say the deal is expected to be concluded this week.

White Noise

Etheridge Loan Deal

Tuesday 8th March 2011

The Club can confirm that Academy graduate goalkeeper Neil Etheridge has joined Charlton Athletic on loan. The Philippine international keeper will remain with Chris Powell's team for a period of one month.

Etheridge will team up with Charlton ahead of tonight's crucial League 1 clash against MK Dons. Charlton currently reside in seventh place, seven points behind sixth placed MK Dons, but have the advantage of three games in hand.

Etheridge has yet to feature for Fulham's First Team but progressed to No.2 behind David Stockdale during Mark Schwarzer's participation in the Asia Cup 2011 in January.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/EtheridgeLoanDeal.aspx#ixzz1G0eeVzmm

White Noise

Bouncing Back

Tuesday 8th March 2011

You've had a difficult time within the past year Danny, how do you feel things are going for you now?
After being injured for seven months, I've been back for a month, I've played in three reserve games and scored in two of them. I was in the matchday squad against Bolton recently too, so things are good. After such a long period injured all you want to do is play. I've only been back for four weeks, but I've had positive things said about me, so I'm very happy.

For those that aren't aware, what was the injury that sidelined you for so long?
I went on loan to HJK Helsinki in Finland where all the games were played on astroturf, which is a more demanding surface for the body. I started feeling pains in my groin and I didn't think it was anything serious, but they took a scan and when the results came back they thought my career was finished. I walked on crutches for four weeks, then came back to England. Fortunately after two months with the physios here it was looking better.

Seven months is an awfully long time do be out of action, how difficult was it for you?
It was a hard period obviously, but I think I was lucky because I never really had a setback - every time I had a new scan it was looking better and better and I always believed that if I just kept working hard I'd get back to fitness and be playing again.

I'd like to give a special mention to the Academy physios, because they have been working with me every day and have been a big help in my recovery.

Well it's great to see you back Danny. As a young striker looking to make his way in the game, how much have you learned working with the strikers we have here?
A lot - they're all very good. I've been here three years now and I've said before what a great striker I think Bobby is – he's very strong, which is what you need in England. Being Dutch, I'd been following Mousa Dembélé in the Eredivise for several years too.

So you knew he'd be a hit here in the Premier League?
Playing in Holland was just too easy for him – it was like a training game. He can do a lot of things with the ball – he's my type of striker. He's very down to earth too, he says it like it is, and he tries to help me, so that's really good. We've become friends because he speaks Dutch, so that's been of great help to me.

You made your senior debut at Fortuna Sittard at the age of just 17. What was that like?
It was good, but Fortuna Sittard was quite a poor club and they were very low in the league. I always knew I could break through there, but you don't expect it at the age of 17. It was good, but I really wanted to move on, because at the time I was playing for the national youth team and I could see that some of my colleagues were a little further ahead of me. I needed to make the next step, and when Fulham came in for me it was the perfect opportunity.

So now you're back in action, what are your aims?
I feel very fresh after my injury. In a weird kind of way maybe it was good for me, because I've been able to get stronger in the gym and focus on other stuff. I feel very sharp and I believe I can break into the First Team and do a good job. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for my opportunity.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/HoesenBouncingBack.aspx#ixzz1G0fmS0vd

Alternative

Fulham do not want to get a defender of Carr's age.

White Noise

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/new-gerrard-poised-to-join-liverpools-epl-rivals

'New Gerrard' poised to join Liverpool's EPL rivals

Liverpool teen target Omri Altman linked with Fulham switch

By Mark Bollons  March 08, 2011

Dalglish set to miss out on Altman. (©PAPhotos)Picture GalleryNew

Maccabi Tel Aviv have reached agreement with English side Fulham  Liverpool target Omri Altman is poised to join Barclays Premier League rivals Fulham, according to reports.

The Maccabi Tel Aviv teenager has been monitored by a number of clubs in England, with Liverpool one of those to hand the 16-year-old a trial at Anfield last year.

Altman also had trails with Arsenal and Fulham, and the Cottagers appear to have won the race for the player after a statement was released on the Israeli club's official website.

"Maccabi Tel Aviv have reached agreement with English side Fulham for the transfer of youth player Omri Altman. The transfer is now dependant on him signing his professional contract."

Speaking to a local paper in Tel Aviv last year, the player spoke on the comparisons to the current Liverpool captain as interest grew in his service.

"People tell me I play like Steven Gerrard with my ability to win the ball and score from long range shots."

It's thought that the original interest from the Merseysiders came under former boss Roy Hodgson, and it's unclear if current Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish was interested in the player.

The club's owners, NESV, delivered a remit of bringing young, attacking talent to Anfield, and the 17-year-old midfielder would certainly have fit the bill for Liverpool.

However, it appears Fulham is his future destination, providing he can agree personal terms.

White Noise

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2011/03/premiership/hughes-beats-kenny-arsene

Hughes Beats Kenny & Arsene

Date: 8th March 2011 at 11:41 am

Author: Joe T

I think football fans all over the country get particularly excited about the signings of younger players, the idea of unearthing a gem is something we all feel good about and to see a player develop at your club and identifying that potentially he could go on to be a world beater is pretty exhilarating, obviously there is also the chance he could never achieve anything but lets not focus on that!

Well it seems that Fulham fans might be able to enjoy that feeling soon as it appears they may have won the race to sign Liverpool and Arsenal target Omri Altman.

The 16 year old Israeli came through the ranks of Maccabi Tel Aviv and has impressed greatly with the teams youth sides, he has also been capped internationally in the countries under 17′s side.  He has since broken into the first team set up and has continued to improve.  He has been billed as one of the most exciting players to come out of Israel and predictable comparisons with Chelsea player Yossi Benayoun have been made.

Altman is best used as an attacking midfield player and he is known for his excellent technical ability.  He also has very good physical attributes, his strength and size are not what you would expect for a person of his young age and these would help him adapt to English football when he gets his chance.

The under 17 National coach Alon Hazan has said the following of the player:

"He has all the elements you look for in a player at the highest levels....He has physical fitness, excellent technical ability, and the ability to combine the defensive and attacking sides to his game intelligently, not like a 16 year old kid....He also has a great mentality, he always puts in the effort even thought he knows his worth,".

Extremely high praise for such a young player, so it is no surprise that many top clubs in Europe have looked at the youngster.  He has had trials with both Arsenal and Liverpool both of whom were very interested in signing the Israeli.  It now appears that Fulham have decided to offer him a deal on the back of a trial with the club.

Competition for places at Arsenal and Liverpool in the youth ranks could be extremely competitive so I am not surprised that it is Fulham that have secured the player.  If he can go on to deliver on the potential that he is currently showing it could be a really exciting signing for the London club!

HatterDon

Quote from: White Noise on March 08, 2011, 12:28:19 PM

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/new-gerrard-poised-to-join-liverpools-epl-rivals

'New Gerrard' poised to join Liverpool's EPL rivals

horrible Yank publication to say "EPL" instead of "BARCLAY's Premier League." We need to hunt them down and ... what? You say this if pretty much a PFA site? It's NOT American? Oh, that's very different.

Never mind.  :dft001:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel