watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Clattenburg. From Football 365

Started by TonyGilroy, March 08, 2011, 06:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyGilroy

Mark Clattenburg has had an interesting couple of weeks. After his inability to send Rooney off for something I, in my other life as a Wrestling journalist am used to seeing on Monday Night Raw, not Match of the Day, he arrived at Craven Cottage, which seemingly no urge to leave the limelight.

His day and bizarre behaviour started when he failed to acknowledge Chris Samba try to make up for some lax defending by hooking back Andy Johnson. He had a very good view, and failed to award what in my view was a clear penalty.

Next, I felt Steevn N'Zonzi brought down Damien Duff when clean through. N'Zonzi probably ought to have walked. Instead Mr Clattenburg gave nothing at all.

Then it got really odd. I have many times seen a referee give a corner, then realise he made a mistake and that it should have been a goal-kick. He'll then often give a free-kick for something trivial as the ball is in flight, apparently negating the mistake. That's not perfect practise, but it's common.

However, I've never seen a failure to give a penalty lead to a corner, and then a much softer penalty given as the cross comes in. Grant Hanley blatantly fouled Andy Johnson again, but Mr Clattenburg reacted like a 14-year-old listening to an iPod and basically ignored everybody. From a resultant corner, he pulled up Hanley for tussling with Aaron Hughes. In isolation, I'm not saying he got that wrong, but at the risk of using the type of cliché I typically rail against, you could probably find a great many more incidents which would lead to many penalties per game. It's far easier to give the two blatant trips on Andy Johnson which surely few could have contended.

I can't really comment on the red card post match, as I don't know what Gael Givet said.

I honestly don't think Mr Clattenburg's demeanour helps matters. He doesn't appear to interact with players, even acknowledge their existence at times. I think his manner at the moment is inflammatory and infuriating, which is the opposite of what a referee should be doing. You are supposed to be working with the players to create a better atmosphere, not being above them and antagonising them.

alfie

absolutely agree with all you have said, i said in an earlier post that i am just dismayed at the way he let Samba talk to him, obviously don't know what he was saying but he was very forceful with a lot of finger pointing, but he just got away with it, Samba must have been at him for a full 5 minutes.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Sheepskin Junior

The 14 year old listening to an ipod part. I'm currently 13 and I listen to people and my ipod at the same time so I disagree with that part but the rest  :Sparkyticus: spot on
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

RidgeRider

Clattenburg, from appearances only, seems to be one of the younger referee's in the Prem. I think many times, when you are in a position of power and are young and looking for some respect, you can be prone to make some mental mistakes. I think that those that have suggested he did make a "make-up" call are probably correct. In the heat of the moment, I believe it is far more likely a younger referee will get flustered and use bad judgement and make a mistake that leads to others, especially once they recognize they made the first mistake. Confidence wanes and more mistakes follow.

I'm guessing he did a fair job before being promoted to the Prem and he has been in the Prem a while, but he is not much older than the players, I don't think, so he is a young man still learning not only his trade but about himself as well......I hope.

dishEJtheRock!

I'm definitely not saying he had a great game, but I think a lot of people tend to overlook how difficult it is being a referee, especially at this level is. Have the best game ever and no one even notices but get 1 call wrong in a 90 minute game and every wants your sack on a plate. Refs are human and are prone to make a mistake here or there and its unfortunate Mr Clattenburg is having his mistakes so numerous in such a short time but I feel bad for the guy. Its not like he went out there and was like "yeah i think ill screw up all over the place today, its just feels right." I'd probably be somewhat hesitant to give some of the penalties he didn't give just because if on the small chance you saw it too quickly and give an unwarranted penalty then everyone wants your head still. Pretty horrible job to have if you ask me i'm surprised anyone actually wants to do it

BalDrick

Bearing in mind the perfect ref is one you hardly notice, if at all, then Mr Clattenburg is clearly far from perfect. The only slight redemption is that, through fair means and foul, the right team won (I say that as a football fan rather than a Fulham fan), but that's no mitigation whatsoever. Very bad day at the office, in the real world worth at the very least a final written warning, more likely instant dismissal.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/08/mark-clattenburg-europa-league?INTCMP=SRCH

Mark Clattenburg back in action as union warns over growing criticism

• High-profile decisions have led to public criticism of officials

• Clattenburg at the centre of controversy in consecutive games

Stuart James guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 8 March 2011 20.21 GMT Article history

Mark Clattenburg returns to the spotlight on Thursday night when he takes charge of the Europa League round of 16 tie between FC Twente and Zenit St Petersburg in the Netherlands amid a warning from the head of the referees' union that constant criticism of officials will ultimately drive them out of the game.

Clattenburg's performances have come under scrutiny after controversial decisions on consecutive weekends, prompting reports that he will take a month's break from Premier League action to escape the opprobrium. It remains to be seen whether that will be the case, although there is only one round of Premier League games between his last match, at Craven Cottage on Saturday, and the start of April because of the FA Cup quarter-finals and international matches taking place this month.

Professional Game Match Officials Limited will confirm their appointments for the Premier League games on 19-20 March on Monday and have given no indication at this stage that Clattenburg will not be considered. The 35-year-old is, however, one of 16 select group officials that take charge of Premier League games and, as a result, it is entirely possible his name will be omitted from the next set of league fixtures to give him some respite.

Having come under fire for failing to punish Wayne Rooney for elbowing Wigan Athletic's James McCarthy 11 days ago, Clattenburg was once again the centre of attention last weekend, after he gave Fulham a contentious late penalty against Blackburn Rovers. With Mark Halsey enduring a difficult afternoon at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sunday and Sir Alex Ferguson's attack on Martin Atkinson still fresh in the mind, there is a feeling that officials have taken more than their fair share of flak in recent weeks.

Alan Leighton, head of the referees' union, Prospect, is concerned that relentless criticism will lead to officials quitting. "There is a feeling of being beleaguered [among the officials]," said Leighton. "These are people who are used to pressure day in and day out – it's not like they're some kind of weaklings who can't take it. But at this time of the season, we're getting to a stage where it becomes very difficult for anybody to sensibly do a job. I think more and more referees will get to a stage of thinking: "Do I really want to put up with this?'"

Leighton did, however, take some encouragement from a few managerial comments on the weekend. "There were a couple of signs that people had seen what Ferguson had done [with his criticism of Atkinson] and thought: 'Actually, I'm going to moderate this.' Steve Kean [the Blackburn manager] and [the Wolves manager] Mick McCarthy, who felt they were on the wrong end of decisions, managed to conduct themselves in a way that said: 'Look, the referee's a got a difficult job', I thought that was quite telling."

Leighton, though, remains disappointed with Ferguson's remarks at Chelsea last week as well as Arsène Wenger's comments after Arsenal's goalless draw against Sunderland on Saturday.

"It would be nice if some managers recognise when they slag off a referee for having missed something, that they actually benefited from things that weren't seen in a previous game," he said.

"Both Arsène Wenger and Ferguson totally missed the point that while they were slagging off the referees for something they've supposedly missed, there were incidents in their previous games that they could be considered to have benefitted from. In the Arsenal versus Birmingham game [in the Carling cup final], the Arsenal goalkeeper could have been sent off after two minutes."

Burt

I really wouldn't want to be a ref... Thankless job. No praise for a good job, and nothing but abuse when you get it wrong.

Cue debate on whether it's time to use instant replay technology to help out.

BalDrick

'...a warning from the head of the referees' union that constant criticism of officials will ultimately drive them out of the game'

Yep, and constant inept reffing will drive fans away from the game. In fact probably already has.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Gozorich

I understand, from a professional referee, that Clattenburg is highly rated as one of the top officials in England by his peers and that he is not as personally fragile as the media make out.

epsomraver

Quote from: Burt on March 09, 2011, 11:15:46 AM
I really wouldn't want to be a ref... Thankless job. No praise for a good job, and nothing but abuse when you get it wrong. 

Cue debate on whether it's time to use instant replay technology to help out. 

What for over a grand a game, I would !!!, yes technology that the ref can choose to use would help a lot in these situations, they should not have to judge on a fleeting glimpse, no other umpires and refs in the professional game have to.

King_Crud

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 08, 2011, 06:18:06 PM
I honestly don't think Mr Clattenburg's demeanour helps matters. He doesn't appear to interact with players, even acknowledge their existence at times.

he appeared to be giving Rooney a big hug after Rooney belted that Wigan bloke in the head.

BillNRoc

Instant-replay technology is increasingly used in US NFL and major league baseball with predictable opposition and generally positive results. UEFA's five-official setup is laughable. Baseball had six umpires on the field for playoff games with many botched game-changing calls, as did football. With TV showing the replays, it undermined the "integrity of the game" argument of the technology-wary -- just as it is already doing with Premier League and Champions League matches. You can set limits on what's reviewable (hit/foul ball) and what's not (ball/strike), but it will improve officiating and fairness.

AlFayedsChequebook

RidgeRider

wow, that just leaves me with an upset stomach.......