more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Springer Spaniels

Started by BalDrick, March 10, 2011, 02:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalDrick

Anyone else got one?

We've got one, just over 11 months old. I work at home, Pepper keeps me company all day. Today's been dreadful, he's been at the vets all day having the snip - can't believe how lonely I've been.

Anyway wanted to ask, do they calm down once they've been debollocked? And is having two a lot harder work than one (dogs, not bollocks!)? There's nothing he loves more than meeting other dogs, I wonder whether in some ways if he had a friend at home, things'd be a bit easier - in the same way that having two children can be easier than one. If so, another dog or a bitch? Quite like the idea of a sprolly actually - anyone got one of those?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

King_Crud

had a cocker spaniel growing up, lovely dog but thick as two planks.

I always grew up with a dog, cat & budgie, but since I've been an adult I haven't owned any pets. The missus and I will get some when we buy our own place, i want two dogs and two cats, problem is the missus is obsessed with pug dogs   :019:

I do think it's better to have more than one

Alanovich

Stick to one dog.  Two dogs think they're a pack, and you run the risk of losing your status as pack leader in your first dog's eyes.

"I wear the trosuers in this house. And I wash them and I iron them."

- Dennis Thatcher

finnster01

Quote from: Alanovich on March 10, 2011, 03:49:07 PM
Stick to one dog.  Two dogs think they're a pack, and you run the risk of losing your status as pack leader in your first dog's eyes.

A bit like Blair and Gordon Brown then  :58:

Pill and nap time for the Finnster, I know  :038:

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

CorkCity

Stick to one dog for now, even though he has been de-bollocked, he will still try to ride the other one even if it's a bitch or dog, being home all day could help though. He should calm down in 2 or 3 months as the testerone is still in his system. I would reccomend waiting untill July to get a second dog.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

Burt

Got two cats, two kids and one wife.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Only get 2 if your going to be out of the house at work,they will stop each other from going more crazy
they are fantastic dogs very loyal and good fun,but they are mental and that will never change,also you can take them to a desert and they will still come back muddy and wet-it's just one there talents  :62:

richie17

My gf's family have them.

The first was hilarious, he took until about 8 to calm down, then was pretty good.   He would fetch any tennis ball from anywhere, so good fun for messing about with.  Also you could put a muffin on top of a shelf and he'd sit there waiting for it for as long as it took.

The next one is still going at 16 or so.  She has spent most of her life hiding under a bush in the garden, taking as many household objects as possible with her.

The current one is seven and we think possibly gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).  He's lovely but very different to the others.   

They're amazing characters but need a hell of a lot of looking after.   We always had golden retrievers who were much more placid, but I can see why people like spaniels, especially good with kids too.

richie17

Quote from: BalDrick on March 10, 2011, 02:49:47 PM
Anyone else got one?

We've got one, just over 11 months old. I work at home, Pepper keeps me company all day. Today's been dreadful, he's been at the vets all day having the snip - can't believe how lonely I've been.

Anyway wanted to ask, do they calm down once they've been debollocked? And is having two a lot harder work than one (dogs, not bollocks!)? There's nothing he loves more than meeting other dogs, I wonder whether in some ways if he had a friend at home, things'd be a bit easier - in the same way that having two children can be easier than one. If so, another dog or a bitch? Quite like the idea of a sprolly actually - anyone got one of those?

re. the second point, they just need shed loads of exercise.  Whenever Hade's family have had two they haven't really got along, just sort of co-existed (whereas our golden retrievers have always been very close). 

BalDrick

'Whenever Hade's family have had two they haven't really got along, just sort of co-existed'

That's interesting, thanks for that. Will bear in mind, together with the point above about 2-3 months for the testosterone to get out of his system.

He's now back from the vets, just kind of monging really. Usually walk him an hour and a half a day, plus we do a 9-miler Saturday mornings, but that's not going to happen this weekend from what the vet said (NB been doing this since about the time Fulham turned the corner, so we may lose on Saturday).
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Blingo

Blingo has an English Cocker Spaniel, super bright and intelligent, has me wrapped around her little paws. Love her to death and would not swap her for the world. She's 9 and is starting to slow down a bit now but I suppose that at 63+ you are entitled to not want to run hard for over an hour at a time. she will still do it if I let her but then she gets a touch of the old stiff legs for a day or two so its better to let her take it a little easier. A friend has 2 Springers and they are lovely dogs if a little nutty but gentle as anything and happy chappies.

Ron Sheepskin

We've got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, currently recovering from a very serious illness. Can't say if two dogs are better or not, but as regards the dreaded snip - watch the weight gain afterwards.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

CorkCity

This thread is bollocks  :011:
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

ScalleysDad

Molly is a white and tan springer just about 14 now and has slowed right down as well as leaving the occassional mishap. We brought her as a puppy because Scalley was ridiculously nervous around animals and when I get annoyed about the mopping up the memories make it a simple chore. Born again seal, great close ball control and with the kids we have covered miles and miles. Spoilt many a game of cricket as I recall or was it that she was too good. Never got to bat though. With the kids off at Uni now and both of our jobs changing so that lunch hours and trips home are out she sits at home alone for most of the day which is sad although I have caught her out from time to time and she is crashed out on the sofa, a no go zone in the evennings ! Now that spring has sprung Fridays will be home, beach at Exmouth and The Grove for a pint of Youngs. She knows the route and actually pulls towards The Grove as it gets close. I'd like to think we had formed a partnership buts it more likely all about the water they put out and the free biscuit.

The Equalizer

My family had a Welsh Springer Spaniel when I was a kid. The dog had more personality than most of the people I know. Absolutely incredible, loyal, loving and as thick as two short planks.

I'd love to get one again.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

CorkedHat

We had a Brittany Spaniel. Greatest dog I've ever had and boy, I've had some dogs  :005:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Daxidebs

Don't have Spaniel but got another dog to keep mine company during the day both  same breed - same sex - best thing for them a pal if you out most of the day like me - the older first dog still the boss, puppy learned from him but I am still pack leader in their eyes when home  :dft012:

jarv

I had a dog once, a dalmation which my son named 'Giggsy".....when he was 11 my son played left wing and idolised any decent left winger. Sorry about that.
So, back to the dog story.....never again. I loved him dearly but dogs never learn to use a toilet or make a sandwich. What's the point?? I have no desire to clean up dog crap, ever again!