https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Youth Team Back From The Whimper

Started by White Noise, March 10, 2011, 05:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Back on Track

Thursday 10th March 2011

Following the Youth Team's disappointing exit from the FA Youth Cup at the hands of Watford, Kit Symons' players have embarked on a five-game unbeaten run, picking up impressive wins over Arsenal and Crystal Palace along the way.

With the Team having put the disappointment of the Youth Cup exit behind them, Symons reflected on this season's Cup campaign and stressed the importance of learning the lessons from that defeat.

"Sometimes these hard lessons can be the best ones to learn," Symons told fulhamfc.com. "On our day we're as good as anyone – I'm convinced of that. We play some really good stuff but it's about getting that level of consistency. Since we've gone out of the competition we've played pretty well.

"It was really disappointing to go out, we'd done really well with our performances up until the Watford game. Watford were a very good, strong and organised side – we knew that going into the game. Like the previous rounds, we did our homework. We knew exactly what to expect and there were no surprises on the night.

"With all that said and done, I felt that we went out with a whimper and didn't give a proper account of ourselves. In cup competitions you need to peak at the right times and we just weren't at it on the night.

"It was a case of us not playing anywhere near our full potential. The draw had been made for the next round, so the boys all knew that if we beat Watford, it would be either Chelsea or Barnsley away in the next round. As it turned out, it would have been Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, which would have been a fantastic occasion for everyone. All I can assume is that people took their eye off the job in hand.

"I was disappointed for myself but, more than anything, I was disappointed for the lads because they had been playing really well up until then. Watford thoroughly deserved the win on the night – they were the better team whilst we played more like a team of individuals."

Whilst being undoubtedly disappointed with the Cup exit, Symons' praised the manner in which the team has responded.

"We produced probably our best performance of the season against Arsenal away where we won 3-1 and it could have been a lot more," he said. "Some of the football we played was outstanding, we also drew with Portsmouth after having been very comfortable in that match – we should have won that. We also had a great win away at Palace last Saturday.

"We've had good form since going out of the Cup. The FA Youth Cup is a massive thing for these boys, and for some of them, they'll never get another chance to play in it. We try and build it up because the players have to get used to handling the pressure.

"The Youth Cup is the big focal point of the season and once you go out it can be relatively easy for players to down tools and think 'that's it now.' I, for one, won't accept that and I know the boys won't accept it from each other. We've really kicked on since then and have produced good performances and results.

"We've now got to try and win every game we've got left. We have a few games remaining in the league and it's very tight at the top of the table. Academy football is about developing players, but we're talking about Under 18s and winning is vital. They need to grasp the winning mentality. We've got the ability to win our remaining games – we just need to have the application, desire and drive to make sure we produce winning performances."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/SymonsYouthUpdate.aspx#ixzz1GDcfi2uG