https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (10.03.11)

Started by White Noise, March 10, 2011, 07:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Zamora and Gera on Target

Wednesday 9th March 2011

Philippe Senderos continued his return to full fitness on Wednesday afternoon at Motspur Park. Bobby Zamora and Zoltan Gera got on the score sheet as the Whites lost 3-2 in a friendly against Reading.

The Whites fielded an experienced side with Zamora and Diomansy Kamara leading the line in front of a strong midfield. Simon Davies joined Jonathan Greening in the centre of the park with Gael Kakuta and Gera occupying the wings.

The visitors took the lead in the fifth minute when a cross from the right flank was nodded in at close range past David Stockdale. It was a goal very much against the run of play as Fulham proceeded to dominate possession and soon netted the equaliser on 12 minutes with a fine finish from Gera.

The goal came after Kakuta tried to feed a short pass through to Zamora in the penalty area; the ball was cleared into the path of Gera who placed an accurate finish inside the far post.

David Stockdale had to be quick off his line on 19 minutes to deny a good one-on-one opportunity, reaching the ball first with a well-timed sliding tackle.

Reading retook the lead on 24 minutes after a well-weighted through pass was played in behind the Whites' defence creating another one-on-one situation which, this time, was successfully converted.

Despite going behind, Fulham continued to maintain the upper hand in terms of possession and only a goal line clearance on 40 minutes denied Gera his second of the game. The Hungarian international again went close again moments later, clipping the outside of the post with a firm effort from 15 yards.

Reading, despite their lack of possession, still posed a significant threat on the counter-attack.

The second-half saw a flurry of substitutions from both sides - Diomansy Kamara made way for Danny Hoesen on 51 minutes in a like-for-like swap.

Bobby Zamora equalised for the Whites on 55 minutes with a delightful finish after a fine forward pass from Gera. Zamora produced a sublime touch with his right foot to lift the ball over the Reading keeper from the narrowest of angles.

Senderos' involvement ended just after the hour when he was replaced by Cheick Toure. Fulham then made two further changes on 65 minute with Zamora and Matthew Briggs being replaced by Marcello Trotta and Josh Pritchard respectively.

Trotta combined delightfully with Davies shortly after his introduction, laying off a wonderful first-time pass into the path of Welshman which allowed him to break through a high Reading back line – unfortunately the move was snuffed out in the penalty area by some determined defending. Reading rounded off the scoring with the winner in the 74th minute.

Fulham: Stockdale; Kelly, Senderos (Toure 61), Halliche (Pierre 82), Briggs (Pritchard 65); Gera, Davies (Harris 80), Greening, Kakuta; Kamara (Hoesen 51), Zamora (Trotta 65)

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/ReservesvReading.aspx#ixzz1G8X6CKrw

White Noise

http://www.dcunited.com/youth-soccer/2011/03/local-family-moves-to-london-for-fulham-opportunity

Local family moves to London for Fulham opportunity

William and Michael Moravek are set to join Fulham youth system

Potomac Soccer Wire potomacsoccerwire.com

Friday, March 4, 2011 - 3:23pm

How far would you go to fulfill your child's soccer dreams?

Millions of parents across the United States spend large sums of money, and drive thousands of miles, in order for their kids to take part in elite club leagues, Olympic Development Program and the like. Bill Moravek was once one of them, driving his young sons William (age eight) and Michael (age seven) from Winchester, Va. to Bethesda, Md. several times a week for practices and games with Bethesda Soccer Club, where Moravek also coached.

But he always wanted to give his boys, whose mother, Cheryl, is English, the best possible chance to develop their natural abilities. So Moravek began traveling across the United Kingdom in search of a professional club that would offer his sons the right opportunity.

That long process finally paid off in January when English Premier League side Fulham FC accepted William and Michael into their youth system and hired Bill, an A-licensed coach who has led clubs and national teams in England and the Caribbean, as a trainer and international scout.

"The boys are very fortunate to have such an opportunity as this," said Moravek in a trans-Atlantic interview with Potomac Soccer Wire on Friday. "Getting into an academy is not easy and we have been back and forth now for the last three years, exploring potential clubs.

"They have been to Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Bolton and Southampton during that time frame. We narrowed our choices to Arsenal and Fulham in the end, and for me Fulham was the better choice overall, as their kids were fantastic but also the schools in the area were good and south London is quite nice."

Eyeing the extended winter break that is the norm for youth players in the mid-Atlantic, Bill and Cheryl decided to make the move to London as quickly as possible to integrate the boys into England's almost-year-round training environment. They have settled into a quiet neighborhood that is a 20-minute walk from Fulham's Motspur Park headquarters.

The club's youth program is overseen by Huw Jennings, the man who helped build the Southampton FC academy into one of the best in England, churning out young stars like Theo Walcott and Gareth Bale.

"Huw was one of the bigs reason why we came to Fulham," said Moravek, who spent part of his own coaching career at Southampton under former manager Gordan Strachan several years ago, when the Saints played in the Premier League.

"He has only been at the club for two years but the changes he has made have been massive. Also, Malcom Elias, who was head scout at Liverpool, is here. Between the two of them and the quality players they have recognized and developed, they have a great track record."

Moravek Soccer School

Michael is a bit too young to sign with the Cottagers academy proper, but has joined the club's Under-7/Under-8 development program and looks on course to follow his brother in the months ahead.

And while the long road to a successful career has only just begun, the elder Moravek sibling looks well-placed to make waves in the Fulham system. Blessed with speed and endurance as well as strong technique, William has so far held his own against bigger, older boys at the U-10 level, where ruthless competition is the norm just as it is at the senior level.

"When they tested him at Fulham last year with the age group above him in the 30 meters, 30 meters agility and vertical leap, he [placed] 2-4 out of 15 boys in all of it," noted his father, "and he is giving away nearly two years to these boys.

"All these boys are tough, inner-city kids," he added. "When William came in January, the players were constantly trying to fight him – literally. Very physical, trying to intimidate him."

Perhaps most importantly, William also appears to possess a focus and drive that is rare at his age.

"The first day we got here, after signing his contract, William said, 'I am so happy to be here, now I can start living my dream. If I work real hard I can make it,'" recalled Moravek.

The ultra-professional environment of a Premier League club's youth academy would seem to offer his sons the ideal chance to grow into elite players. But Moravek knows how tenuous such situations can be, and he hopes to keep them grounded and out of the limelight as much as possible.

"They are both on cloud nine," he said, "but as in life, there are no guarantees, and especially with this high end of football, things can change quite dramatically very quickly. So they need to just have fun, have a good attitude, stay humble, listen and work very hard. That is all they can really do – the rest will happen the way it should."

White Noise

Through the Ranks

Wednesday 9th March 2011

Neil Etheridge has made the leap from Academy goalkeeper to international performer in the blink of the eye.

The gifted stopper joined Fulham as a 15-year-old hopeful, but quickly became one of the Club's brightest talents. His performances caught the eyes of the England youth selectors, but having represented his country of birth at Under-16 level, it has been his mother's home nation where he has arguably made his greatest impression.

Having won his first full cap for the Philippines in 2008 during the AFC Challenge Cup, Enfield-born Etheridge has been catapulted to star status.

"It's a bit surreal to be honest," explains Neil. "There is a lot of interest whenever I go back there and it's funny because over here I live a quiet life – not too many people recognise me if I'm honest.

"But in the Philippines they're crazy for the team - you get mobbed. Obviously, because I'm part of the set-up at a Premier League club, that's massive for them. The fans want to hear all about it – and that's nice.

"I try and take it all in my stride, and as a result I've had to grow up very quickly. It is like living two different lives. It was difficult to get my head around at first, but it's a fantastic experience to be part of."

Consequently, Etheridge has seen parts of the world that few in his situation would witness. Running out against the likes of Brunei, Bhutan and Tajikstan is a far cry from the Surrey confines of Motspur Park.

At 21, he has 19 caps to his name and looks set to become an important player for the Philippines for many, many years to come.

"That's not a bad amount of international caps for someone my age," says Neil. "I'm seeing places that I never thought I would see and at the recent South East Asian Games I played in front of a crowd of more than 100,000.

"We did really well to reach the semi-final, the furthest the country had gone in a very long time, so it was a special moment not just for myself, but the whole nation. It was an unforgettable experience for us.

"To play in front of that many people was mind-blowing, and I'm sure that when the day comes that I make an appearance for the First Team, it will be something that will have stood me in good stead.

"Football in the Philippines is on the up and a lot of time and money has been invested. The game means so much to the people, and already the hard-work is showing results. We have lots of new coaches and facilities, and that's very positive.

"I like to think that I have become a key member of the squad, and I want to be part of the journey for as a long as I can. I look forward to being involved and helping the team – it's exciting."

Etheridge was initially on the books of SW6 rivals Chelsea in his early teens, and whilst he admits that his opening education there taught him a lot, he cites his six years at Fulham as being the most beneficial.

"It's at Fulham where I have made my progression," reveals Neil. "I've learned a lot here and I feel, particularly in the last 18 months, that I have come on leaps and bounds. I feel more confident and a real part of the First Team squad now.

"It's difficult when you first come up from the Academy – it takes a little while to assert yourself. I've worked my way up through the scholarship and I'm very proud of that. It wasn't that long ago that I was playing for the Under-18s, although it does feel like a long time now.

"I try and keep in touch with the players I came through with - it's only Matty Saunders and Matthew Briggs that remain here from that group now. That just shows how fine the line is at this level and you just don't know where this game will take you.

"As a result I'm determined to prove my worth and hopefully be a part of things here as well. You have to adapt quickly and show what you can do – for a goalkeeper sometimes that can be extremely difficult."

Having spent part of the 2008/09 season out on loan at Isthmian League Division One South club Leatherhead, Etheridge has maintained a regular place in Billy McKinlay's Development Squad starting XI.

His advancement has also seen Mark Hughes name him on the bench for 10 of his First Team squads as David Stockdale moved up to fill in for the absent Mark Schwarzer – an indication of the regard in which Etheridge is held.

"I may not have played, but I still look back on that period at the start of the season and then at the turn of the year as pivotal moments for me," he says. "It was just such a rewarding experience to be part of the squad on matchday.

"I got to go to grounds like Anfield and, of course, walk out behind the team at Craven Cottage. At this stage of my career I can't ask for much more. Training with the First Team every day is one thing, but travelling with the Manager and the players on the day of the game is what it's all about.

"It was another surreal experience, but one that was also very, very enjoyable. It goes without saying that I want more of the same.

"It would mean a lot for myself, my family and my country."

UP CLOSE WITH NEIL ETHERIDGE
My main strength is my shot shopping – if it wasn't I'd be in the wrong position!
Although my weakness is probably my footwork perhaps?
The biggest influence on my career has been Pascal Zuberbühler - a mentor and father figure.
My favourite Fulham player is Mark Schwarzer. I aspire to be like him.
Growing up my footballing idols were Peter Schmeichel and David James.
The best moment of career so far was making my international debut.
Three words that best describe me are: confident, cheeky and hard-working.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/EtheridgeThroughtheRanks.aspx#ixzz1G8XT19uK

White Noise

Looking Up The Table

Wednesday 9th March 2011

Bobby Zamora was back on the score sheet last weekend, hitting the winner against Blackburn at Craven Cottage. With the Whites having won a penalty late on, Zamora bravely stepped up and clinched all thee points.

Looking back on the game, Brede Hangeland was certainly pleased to see Zamora's spot kick nestle in the back of the net.

"It was a difficult game," Hangeland said. "I felt that we were the better team but Blackburn battled really well and came back into the game twice. So it was really nice to get that goal at the end and for Bobby to score it.

"It was just a great moment for everyone involved with the Club, especially for him of course. We've missed him, but he was there for everyone to see. He's back; he gave a good performance and scored a goal so we're very happy for him.

"We're certainly looking up the table more than down and I think if we perform well from now until the end of the season we could finish in the top half – that's certainly the aim now."

Fulham certainly had a wealth of attacking option to choose from on Saturday, with Zamora, Gael Kakuta, Simon Davies and Eidur Gudjohnsen all waiting to back up the likes of Andrew Johnson, Mousa Dembele Clint Dempsey and Damien Duff.

"It's great, that's what we want all the time," said Hangeland when questioned on the subject of attacking options. "There have been some hard times this season when all of our front men were injured so to have them all back is a great relief. There's competition for places and that's only a good thing for us.

"Injuries are part of football and we've been unlucky the front men this season but to be where we are now is quite good and we're looking to do even better in the latter stages of the season."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/HangelandStrikingOptions.aspx#ixzz1G6gGFFoi

White Noise

Man on Fire

Wednesday 9th March 2011

Damien Duff is a notoriously serene character; but one who comes to life with the ball at his feet.

A player who has spent the majority of his career out on the wing, where his marauding runs and arresting change of pace evoke memories of dribblers of a bygone age. With his loping stride and unconventional gait, the Republic of Ireland international is a beguiling mix of fluency and endeavour, making him the scourge of full-backs for almost a decade-and-a-half.

Considered a precocious talent from the moment he made his professional debut in May 1997 at the age of 18, Duff has won two Premier League titles and two League Cups. He was also his country's standout player at the 2002 World Cup.

Duff, who turned 32 last week, has also been influential in the white and black of Fulham where, through his honest determination and vibrant edge, he has won many admirers during his 18 months at Craven Cottage.

"This is my second season at the Club and I'm very happy with how things have gone for me here," explains Damien. "To be honest, I have loved every minute. The team enjoyed a great season last year, so that made for a good start to life here. The Europa League Final was the pinnacle really.

"The current season has been a bit mixed, but results and performances have picked up since the start of the year – and we're doing well. We've enjoyed a good run of form and hopefully we can keep adding to that. There's a fair bit of football to be played and we have ambitions of finishing the season as strong as possible."

With an obvious attacking flair, Duff has rarely failed to catch the eye. But he also impresses with the contribution that he makes defensively, with words of praise flowing exuberantly from his team-mates. He is a player that can fit into almost any tactical plan – a case first proved under Roy Hodgson and now Mark Hughes.

A switch from a more familiar position on the left flank to the right has also proved beneficial, with his ability to cut inside now a key component of the Whites' attacking armoury. It comes as little surprise also to hear that he is relishing the team's newfound creative freedom.

"There has been a shift in philosophy," he admits. "And, of course, it's one that works well for me. In the past, maybe we were more about containing teams and keeping our shape, but now we're going at teams, and from the moment we get on the ball we're breaking very quickly.

"Last season, Roy moved me to the right and it's a shift in position that has, for whatever reason, proved a positive one. To be honest, I'm probably more comfortable on the right these days. It's a role that I have really taken to.

"Of course, throughout my career I've played on the other side of the pitch, but I certainly don't feel out of place on the right. I like to cut inside to either get a shot on goal or pick a pass to a team-mate. That said, I still feel that I have the ability to go on the outside and get a ball into the box. It's good to have those options."

Like many at Fulham, Duff is evidently enjoying life at Craven Cottage after experiencing mixed fortunes at a former club, in his case Newcastle. At Chelsea he had held down a place in what was arguably the most competitive midfield in world football at the time, and he moved to St. James' Park with ambitions of further success.

"I had a great time at Chelsea, where I won two Premier League trophies and a League Cup," recalls Damien. "But the time came to move on and Newcastle was an exciting challenge. It goes without saying that I went there to do well, but despite giving my all in the three years that I was there, things just didn't work out.

"I'm the first to admit that, and it's something that unfortunately happens in football. I don't look back on that period with the happiest of memories, which is a shame, but then again, anyone that was at the game here when we played Newcastle last month would have seen that they don't have the fondest memories of me either.

"But I've moved on, and I like to think that I have found my feet again here at Fulham. It's a good environment and one that players feel very comfortable in. This is a club with so much character and I'm very happy to be helping move it forward."

Having made his professional debut almost 14 years ago, Duff made his 500th league appearance in the 1-1 draw at Wigan in January and having shaken off a niggling calf injury, his time at the top looks set to continue for a while yet.

Aided by a boundless enthusiasm for the game, his sheer passion just to play makes him an intriguing footballing persona and one that seemingly exists outside the hype of the modern game.

"It's nice to be back in the team and playing well," confesses Damien. "I had a few injury problems early on in the season, but thankfully they appear to be behind me now. I feel fit and sharp, and I'm loving my football as much as I ever have done.

"Fulham have always been a good footballing side and I knew that I could fit into that. You can never be sure of how things will work out, I'm someone that knows that only too well, but it has gone well for me here and long may that be the case.

"I've never been one to spend a lot of time talking - I like to leave that for others. I don't like bragging about things I may have done or achieved. For me, the time to talk is when you've finished playing.

"I'm sure I'll look back at some point and think a bit differently, but when the time is right. For now, I'm more concerned about concentrating on my football and giving my all for this club. I've been in the game for a while now, but I still have a lot more to give."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/DuffFeature.aspx#ixzz1G6fr3YkD

White Noise

Great Potential

Wednesday 9th March 2011

After two impressive performances for the First Team against Port Vale and Chelsea in 2010, Matthew Briggs' progress was brought to a shuddering halt at the Emirates in early December due to injury.

Thankfully the England U19 international has fully recovered and put pen-to-paper on a new deal with the Club, and Manager Mark Hughes believes the youngster has a bright future ahead of him at Craven Cottage.

"We've been really impressed with Matthew, certainly since I've come to the Club," Hughes explained. "He's had a few injury problems but hopefully he's over them because they were holding him back.

"When I picked him at Arsenal that [injury] came to the fore and we knew something significant was going on that needed to be addressed. Thankfully we seem to have resolved that and he can start featuring for us.

"It's important for young players to have the security of understanding they know where they're going to be for a number of years and they can focus on developing as a player and person and make a good start to their professional careers.

"Matthew has a real opportunity and great potential. Hopefully if we can keep the injuries to one side he will have a great career."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/BriggsPotential.aspx#ixzz1G6f5FYAE

White Noise

Detractors go quiet as Hughes pushes Fulham in right direction

Going in the right direction: Fulham boss Mark Hughes

It is not that long since Fulham fans were jeering Mark Hughes and agitating for a new manager.

His detractors have probably conveniently forgotten their objections by now, but his departure is on the agenda still and they should have been more careful with what they wished for.

The reasons to doubt Hughes' longevity at Craven Cottage now are, of course, very different.

By guiding Fulham almost to safety, his reputation as a bright young manager remains intact and his desire to manage a bigger club seems very much alive.

Chelsea and England are far fetched destinations he has been linked with, but Fulham fans who were calling for his head must have noticed his willingness to talk recently about other jobs.

Hughes is an ambitious manager who has built Fulham steadily this season. Never mind the 14 draws, Bobby Zamora is fit again and a top 10 finish could be on the cards.

Given time and resources, Hughes could deliver relative success but right now another season at Fulham might be the longest his relationship with the club will last.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1364511/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-needs-calm-pressure-players--Leos-London.html#ixzz1G6ejgGIq

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/5829/2/exclusive-%E2%80%93-murphy-gerrard-absence-would-be-huge-blow-liverpool%E2%80%99s-euro-hopes

Exclusive – Murphy: Gerrard absence would be huge blow to Liverpool's Euro hopes

By Alex Varney

Thursday, March 10

Liverpool's Europa League chances will take a huge blow if Steven Gerrard is forced to undergo surgery, according to Danny Murphy.

Gerrard is out of tonight's last 16 first leg against Braga with a groin injury and there are fears he may need to undergo an operation.

That would rule him out for a lengthy period, and former Reds star Murphy admits the 30-year-old's absence could prove costly for the club as they look to continue their resurgence under Kenny Dalglish.

"It will be a huge blow," he told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast. "He's obviously a key figure in what they do. When he's not playing they are not quite the same team - you have to admit that.

"Everyone seems to be playing with a smile on their face, theres a weight that's been lifted since Kenny's taken over and the performance against Man United was what we expect, that's how you want to see Liverpool playing.

"But Steve will be a blow with his experience in the European games and when he's not on the teamsheet whoever is playing against them they will get a spring in their step when they see he's not on the teamsheet."

The Fulham captain also revealed he was hoping his side can secure a top-ten finish this season, with star man Bobby Zamora finally back fully-fit after injury.

"He's been a big miss for us," added Murphy. "We've missed him because there's not many like him anymore - that ability when you're under pressure to get the ball up to him and he holds it up and lets you get up the pitch. It's like having a new player in many ways.

"Now we've got a fully fit squad we've got no excuses not to push on and try and get in that top-half now because we've got some good games coming up where we feel we can get points."

White Noise

Pure Professional

Thursday 10th March 2011

Philippe Senderos took another step towards match fitness on Wednesday afternoon with a further appearance for Fulham's Reserve Team against Reading at the Training Ground.

The Swiss international has overcome a recent muscle strain to return to action and Manager Mark Hughes is clearly looking forward to welcoming the Swiss international back into the First Team fold.

"He's been out for a long time and you get setbacks when you've been out for a significant period," Hughes explained. "Sometimes you get muscle strains and a calf strain has held him back somewhat.

"Philippe's got a lot of experience and has played at a high level for some time so he understands you go through periods like this.

"He's an outstanding professional and when his time comes I'll have no qualms putting him into the Team because of his experience and ability."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/HughesOnSenderos.aspx#ixzz1GCV7NFYh

White Noise

Fulham boss sends Senderos warning

By Jacob Murtagh

Mar 10 2011

MARK Hughes has warned Philippe Senderos he faces a fight for a Fulham starting spot.

The Swiss defender stepped up his recovery following six months out with an Achilles injury with a 60-minute run-out for the reserves yesterday.

The summer signing could be in line to feature in the Fulham squad for the first time against former club Everton next weekend.

But boss Hughes admits he will struggle to break up the pairing of Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes in the heart of the backline.

He said: "We're playing great in terms of our defensive work. The central partnership we have of Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes are playing exceptionally well.

"'Philippe's been out for along time and has had a few setbacks which have held him back. He's got a lot of experience of playing at a high level for a long time.

"He understands that you have to be professional, which he is, and when the opportunity comes I would have no qualms putting him in the team because of the experience and ability he has."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/03/10/fulham-boss-sends-senderos-warning-82029-28313011/#ixzz1GCXjMR4C

White Noise

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/8902058.Casuals_keeper_eyes_big_time_as_he_trains_with_Fulham/

Casuals keeper eyes big time as he trains with Fulham

12:11pm Thursday 10th March 2011

By Graham Moody

Walton Casuals goalkeeper James Warrington could be the next non-league starlet to land a shot at the big time after having his two-week trial at Fulham extended.

The 19-year-old has been training with the Premiership side's reserve team and has also alerted the scouts at Crystal Palace, who recently signed Dulwich Hamlet's 17-year-old defender Quade Taylor.

"It is good to have some interest and if one team comes in for you then they all soon pick up on it so even if Fulham didn't want me, hopefully Crystal Palace might."

James Warrington
His period with The Cottagers was due to come to and end on Tuesday but he has been invited to train with them as and when he can for the foreseeable future as he juggles football with the first year of a physiotherapy degree at Brunel University.

Although in the dark as to whether a permanent move would materialise, he admitted he would jump at the chance.

"Without a shadow of a doubt I would take an offer from Fulham, you couldn't turn it down," he said.

"I really don't know what the plans are though.

"They have said when I am free I can to go there and train, I haven't got a time scale with it at all so I don't know what is going on.

"The only thing is no news is good news but I am not too sure really.

"I have a lot of university work at the minute so I will probably only go once a week or something like that.

"It has been brilliant though.

"It is more specified as we don't have a goalkeeping coach at Walton but as much as it is a step up in level, my job doesn't really change, it is still to keep the ball out.

"I think Crystal Palace were maybe coming to watch me recently as well.

"It is good to have some interest and if one team comes in for you then they all soon pick up on it so even if Fulham didn't want me, hopefully Crystal Palace might."

Casuals' play-off hopes have been hit after taking just one point from their last three games, despite prolific goalscorer Martin Grant returning to their ranks and scoring in Tuesday's 1-1 draw with second-bottom Corinthian Casuals.

Warrington still believes though they can gatecrash the top five having finished second-bottom last season.

"It has been massive going from where we were to where we are now," he said.

"I think we would like to be in the play-off positions and comfortable but we are in the hunt.

"Personally, it has been going really well and has been one of my best years.

"Neil just wants to win and the banter is great and it is a good club to be at as there is a good mixture of youngsters and seasoned professionals."

White Noise

Bobby Zamora on his winning league return

Wed, 9 Mar 11

Duration: 9 mins

Available: 29 days remaining

We hear from Bobby Zamora after his match winning return to league action in the 3-2 win against Blackburn. Plus Mark Hughes on claiming a valuable three points against one of his former sides, and the goal scoring skills of Damien Duff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/more-drivel/

More drivel

Filed under: General — rich @ 3:33 pm

While we peer out onto the dark and deserted ice-rink that is a post-elimination FA Cup weekend , here is a something about West Bromwich Albion and why Roy Hodgson probably felt comfortable taking the job.

The official 25 man squad is below.  What's interesting is the number of players who have been linked to Fulham which, when you factor in the players we already have from there (Gera, Greening, Kamara), does make you think.  About what I'm not sure.  The squad:

Giles Barnes (HG)  – Hodgson brought him to Fulham on loan but didn't use him.  Doesn't seem to have been in West Brom's squads since Hodgson arrived.  Remember the MOTD2 clip of him eating a sandwich at Man City?
Roman Bednar (on loan at MKE Ankaragucu)  – strikes me as a Hodgson type player, but MKE Ankaragucu can't be nearby
Chris Brunt (HG)  – the one that got away in Lawrie Sanchez's NI land grab (him and Kyle Lafferty).  We got Hameur Bouazza instead, and all that this entailed
Scott Carson (HG)  – should do well under Kelly, I assume (is Kelly there?)
Marek Cech
Simon Cox (HG)  – not really linked to Fulham, but often cropped up on TiFF as a "one to watch"; predictable results now he's not playing in League 1 (The Earnshaw Effect).  Worth having if they do go down though
Graham Dorrans  – excellent player
Marc-Antoine Fortuné  – I'm sure we nearly bought him at one point but the player said no and went somewhere else.  So another good thing for Roy
Pablo Ibanez
Gonzalo Jara
Dean Kiely (HG)  – strange that he and Paddy Kenny are still kicking around.  I confused both with one-another, and here they both are, still there or thereabouts
Abdoulaye Meite
Ishmael Miller (HG) (on loan at QPR)  – one of my favourite footballer names.  "Ishmael Miller".  Yes
James Morrison (HG)  – the lizard king; can he do anything?
Youssouf Mulumbu
Boaz Myhill (HG)
Peter Odemwingie
Jonas Olsson
Steven Reid (HG)  – I feel sure he must have been a Fulham target at some point.  That sort of player
Paul Scharner  -  long term transfer target in Hodgson's time. Disturbing hair, as if to say "I'm a bit mad, me"
Nicky Shorey (HG)  -  played for Hodgson when Konch was injured
Gabriel Tamas
Somen Tchoyi
Jerome Thomas (HG)  -  often rumoured to be a transfer target, I think during Hodgson's early days
Gianni Zuiverloon  – everything that Ishmael Miller is not

(also Carlos Vela, another player who was linked to Fulham in a loan deal)

If Liverpool was the wrong job, WBA must be the right one.  A decent group of mid-tier players who can't defend and need organising.  Perfect.  They'll be the new Fulham before we know it.  Get your money on those 0-0 away games (but give him a few months to calm everyone down: I've already been bitten by this one, going for a sure-fire 0-0 in last week's Birmingham v WBA game, which then finished 3-1 to the away team of all things).

White Noise

Back on Track

Thursday 10th March 2011

Following the Youth Team's disappointing exit from the FA Youth Cup at the hands of Watford, Kit Symons' players have embarked on a five-game unbeaten run, picking up impressive wins over Arsenal and Crystal Palace along the way.

With the Team having put the disappointment of the Youth Cup exit behind them, Symons reflected on this season's Cup campaign and stressed the importance of learning the lessons from that defeat.

"Sometimes these hard lessons can be the best ones to learn," Symons told fulhamfc.com. "On our day we're as good as anyone – I'm convinced of that. We play some really good stuff but it's about getting that level of consistency. Since we've gone out of the competition we've played pretty well.

"It was really disappointing to go out, we'd done really well with our performances up until the Watford game. Watford were a very good, strong and organised side – we knew that going into the game. Like the previous rounds, we did our homework. We knew exactly what to expect and there were no surprises on the night.

"With all that said and done, I felt that we went out with a whimper and didn't give a proper account of ourselves. In cup competitions you need to peak at the right times and we just weren't at it on the night.

"It was a case of us not playing anywhere near our full potential. The draw had been made for the next round, so the boys all knew that if we beat Watford, it would be either Chelsea or Barnsley away in the next round. As it turned out, it would have been Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, which would have been a fantastic occasion for everyone. All I can assume is that people took their eye off the job in hand.

"I was disappointed for myself but, more than anything, I was disappointed for the lads because they had been playing really well up until then. Watford thoroughly deserved the win on the night – they were the better team whilst we played more like a team of individuals."

Whilst being undoubtedly disappointed with the Cup exit, Symons' praised the manner in which the team has responded.

"We produced probably our best performance of the season against Arsenal away where we won 3-1 and it could have been a lot more," he said. "Some of the football we played was outstanding, we also drew with Portsmouth after having been very comfortable in that match – we should have won that. We also had a great win away at Palace last Saturday.

"We've had good form since going out of the Cup. The FA Youth Cup is a massive thing for these boys, and for some of them, they'll never get another chance to play in it. We try and build it up because the players have to get used to handling the pressure.

"The Youth Cup is the big focal point of the season and once you go out it can be relatively easy for players to down tools and think 'that's it now.' I, for one, won't accept that and I know the boys won't accept it from each other. We've really kicked on since then and have produced good performances and results.

"We've now got to try and win every game we've got left. We have a few games remaining in the league and it's very tight at the top of the table. Academy football is about developing players, but we're talking about Under 18s and winning is vital. They need to grasp the winning mentality. We've got the ability to win our remaining games – we just need to have the application, desire and drive to make sure we produce winning performances."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/SymonsYouthUpdate.aspx#ixzz1GDcfi2uG