more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Japan

Started by The Equalizer, March 11, 2011, 09:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 11, 2011, 10:09:06 AM
I guess the only good news is that Japan is much more 'earthquake proof' than most places in the world.

Hopefully there will not be many fatalities, will be interesting to see what happens when the Tsunami gets to other countries - lucky for that Pacific Ocean Tsunami warning system

As of right now, over 200 dead and "hundreds missing" in Japan. The wave was supposed to have reached Hawaii about a half hour ago. I have had the television off, so I dont know what's what.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

Quote from: HatterDon on March 11, 2011, 02:34:07 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 11, 2011, 10:09:06 AM
I guess the only good news is that Japan is much more 'earthquake proof' than most places in the world.

Hopefully there will not be many fatalities, will be interesting to see what happens when the Tsunami gets to other countries - lucky for that Pacific Ocean Tsunami warning system

As of right now, over 200 dead and "hundreds missing" in Japan. The wave was supposed to have reached Hawaii about a half hour ago. I have had the television off, so I dont know what's what.

88,000 now missing. Shocked.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

NogoodBoyo

If you think the spectator in black was stupid not legging it to safety, what the hell was the driver of that lorry thinking at the end driving across the flooding bridge?  Couldn't he see buildings, boats, ships and cars disappearing under the parapet?
Nogood "a massive tragedy this will be" Boyo

finnster01

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on March 11, 2011, 05:21:44 PM
If you think the spectator in black was stupid not legging it to safety, what the hell was the driver of that lorry thinking at the end driving across the flooding bridge?  Couldn't he see buildings, boats, ships and cars disappearing under the parapet?
Nogood "a massive tragedy this will be" Boyo
It is Japan. The country that invented suicide bombers, so why wouldn't he deliver his milk against all odds?

Finnster "Tora Tora Tora and Kamikaze isn't it?" 01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

MJG

My relative update: She's ok and was in central Tokyo when it struck.

Burt

Some seriously gobsmacking footage on the news just now.

Mother nature at her most unstoppable.

And it has been upgraded to 9.0 magnitude, which as the scale is linear means the quake in Christchurch was a tiddler in comparison.

We are due to go to eastern Australia and NZ soon - the missus is getting nervous as they lie on the same "ring of fire".

ron

I don't think you can call people stupid for their actions when being confronted with scenes like there have been in Japan in the last few hours......People under extreme stress tend to do the things familiar to them to find normality and comfort...such as making cups of tea in the middle of the Blitz.

I don't see plate tectonics as having a lot to do with global warming either. The fact that the world press has given the name Tsunami to tidal wave events mean that they are identified more easily nowadays.

God help those involved in Japan tonight. We talk of 'visions of hell'...what they are confronting there is a visitation from hell .

Jimbobob

:033: :dft004: :dft005: :dft008:
I couldn't sleep and turned on the televison last night and got some of the first images.
My God it looked like the end of the world. It was truly horrifying...utterly frightening.....
I pray for safety and peace.
The number of dead and missing is becoming a stagering figure.
Dear Lord!!!
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

FatFreddysCat

Makes you think our crap weather is worth putting up with. Weirdly enough i find myself emotionly untouched by this, these things seem to happen all the time.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 11, 2011, 09:29:08 PM
Makes you think our crap weather is worth putting up with. Weirdly enough i find myself emotionly untouched by this, these things seem to happen all the time.
Sorry i sound all  Paul McCartney " it's a drag" , but i find it very hard to believe that at least  two thirds of the people saying how sorry they are haven't recieved and sent text jokes about this, i've had about 6 at least, haven't sent them onto to Fofers just incase they really are that upset, but i think a few will silently admit they are being abit hypocritical about it.

Scrumpy

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 11, 2011, 09:39:25 PM
Sorry i sound all  Paul McCartney " it's a drag" , but i find it very hard to believe that at least  two thirds of the people saying how sorry they are haven't recieved and sent text jokes about this, i've had about 6 at least, haven't sent them onto to Fofers just incase they really are that upset, but i think a few will silently admit they are being abit hypocritical about it.

I find it hard to put myself in their shoes, because we have never had anything like this in the UK. As a race, we probably find it hard to empathise with the Japanese too. But if you think of the London bombings, and then multiply that carnage by a hundred or so, you can begin to imagine how they might feel.  :dft006:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Scrumpy on March 11, 2011, 10:01:23 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 11, 2011, 09:39:25 PM

I find it hard to put myself in their shoes, because we have never had anything like this in the UK. As a race, we probably find it hard to empathise with the Japanese too. But if you think of the London bombings, and then multiply that carnage by a hundred or so, you can begin to imagine how they might feel.  :dft006:
Must admit as much as i was filled with anger about the london bombings, i was still recieving and sending joke texts at an alarming rate . As far as i know know no one on here was affected by it,but if you was please accept my apologies.  Other than that i'm a bit of a heartless fecker, and i deal with these things with a bit of dark humour. Just out of interest Scrumpy have you recieved or sent Japan jokes?

Scrumpy

I honestly haven't, Fred.

But I love a bit of gallows humour. That's all we had at Fulham for a long time!
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Scrumpy on March 11, 2011, 10:20:04 PM

But I love a bit of gallows humour. That's all we had at Fulham for a long time!
Fair shout Scrumpy you seem like a nice fella, but not that nice you wouldn't have recieved at least 1 joke. I must admit most are poor, but still it's amazing how quick they come out.

Jimbobob

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 11, 2011, 10:27:54 PM
Quote from: Scrumpy on March 11, 2011, 10:20:04 PM

Fair shout Scrumpy you seem like a nice fella, but not that nice you wouldn't have received at least 1 joke. I must admit most are poor, but still it's amazing how quick they come out.

:023: :022: :dft012:
Do they all seem to reference GODZILLA Freddy???
See..now I feel really bad.......... :032:
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

McBridefan1

Yup the Godzirra jokes definatery made their rounds. Rook out for big frood... It's all relative, I cried like a baby during 9-11 but watched this devastation that was 100 times worse with morbid curiosity. I'm sure if they showed us pictures of kids and showed more personal stories there would be a lot more emotional investment. I'm guessing the palestinians and the others in the Arab world weren't too saddened by the 9-11 events for that matter it probably didn't even register to the average japanese... probably had a good giggle or two texting jokes about our tragedies... human nature I suppose.

Burt

I haven't sent or received any Japan text jokes.

But that's because I have no mates  :52:

In all honesty though you can't help but be moved by the footage, appalling stuff, and personally I would probably find any jokes etc to be in poor taste given the circumstances and the scale of the disaster as it unfolds. Millions are being impacted by this.

Just my opinion.

McBridefan1

Ok full disclosure, the first thing I thought of when I heard of the earthquake is how is this gonna effect gas prices... I think there is just too much of a disconnect between opposing hemispheres... If this was happening in the US to a city with a large Japanese population, I would be more upset. So it has nothing to do with slanted eyes or not, it has more to do with the distance and a lack of being able to relate... in fact Hawaii is getting nailed too but to be honest I don't feel much for them either but I care more because it is a US state, weird I know... I don't know why some things bother us more and others less, perhaps, As I said if I watched more personal stories then it would bother me more, but as it stands it is all just numbers and cool pictures of flooding waters.

RidgeRider

I don't read, listen to or watch general, international or political news but I decided to check on things in Japan and the report I saw was 10,000 dead and rising, with 100,000's+ struggling to find food or water. Nuclear reactor's on alert and potential radiation exposure.

This is, in my recollection the worst disaster I can ever remember. I pray for those who are suffering right now. Tragic.

Text jokes or not anyone making fun should be ashamed of themselves.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: RidgeRider on March 13, 2011, 08:38:56 PM
I don't read, listen to or watch general, international or political news but I decided to check on things in Japan and the report I saw was 10,000 dead and rising, with 100,000's+ struggling to find food or water. Nuclear reactor's on alert and potential radiation exposure.

This is, in my recollection the worst disaster I can ever remember. I pray for those who are suffering right now. Tragic.

Text jokes or not anyone making fun should be ashamed of themselves.
Whose to say what you can or cant make fun of? Certainly not feeling ashamed.