watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RAY WILKINS (WHAT'S THE POINT)

Started by JBH, March 16, 2011, 07:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBH

Uncle Festa was the co commentator last night at Olt Trafford and I have never heard such bias twaddle coming from anyone else's mouth on SKY.

He was saying how great Utd were playing when actually they were crap and how Rooney proved that he was as good as Messi and Ronaldo just because he managed to pass to his team mates without the ball being intercepted by the opposition.

In truth United were very average and had to hang on at the end to avoid going out of the competition, they should thank their lucky stars that their opponents were not clinical in front of goal  :028:

King_Crud

yeah i searched the red button option in the hope i could turn the commentary off, but to no avail. So instead I changed to the FCB v Inter game. The crap he was spouting about how amazing a game it was, and how amazing the borefest that the first game was was unbelievable. I can't stand most football commentators these days, with their overhyping of everything.

BalDrick

'I can't stand most football commentators these days, with their overhyping of everything.'

It's coming to something when that turd Tyldsley is closer to the norm than the exception isn't it? One of the main reasons I watch very little football on television, the sycophancy these people come out with is just unbearable.

I did watch part of the game - about 20 minutes, with the 2nd United goal in the middle of that - and I thought United looked pretty good against rather an uninspiring OM. But I take back everything I ever said about Wes Brown being a potentially top player - he's not good enough for us, frankly I'm not sure he'd be good enough for Wigan, Wolves etc. Missed his own-goal, which must at least have made the last 10 minutes vaguely exciting.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

TonyGilroy

If there was a red button option of crowd noise but no commentary it would be popular.

Pundits in the studio are fine because I can choose to not watch. During the game they're pointless unless they'd limit themselves to occasional points of contention when an "expert" (if only) opinion might be useful.

During the match I don't want anything other than one commentator limiting himself to telling me only those things I can't see for myself.

King_Crud

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 16, 2011, 09:30:48 AM
If there was a red button option of crowd noise but no commentary it would be popular.

Not long before Andy Gray got fired I was fed up with him, so during a premier league game I hit the red button to see what could be done. I ended up listening to fans commentary, which was so much more enjoyable. From memory there was a no commetary button, but i may have remembered that incorrectly. But there's no options for champions league games

BalDrick

'From memory there was a no commetary button'

The Beeb had this option for a World Cup - not the last one with the bloody vuvuzelas - I remember distinctly because I watched a Mexico -v- Argentina game that way, and it was amazing. However, I tried again with an England match and frankly it was pretty rubbish. As was the game, no coincidence I'm sure.

dgnffc

There was one point in the 2nd half whem Man Utd womn the ball on the edge of Marseille's penalty area then proceeded to pass it amongst themselves all the way back to the edge of their own penalty area. Wilkins' comment was "That's great play". Not if your a spectator it's not!

The Equalizer

Quote from: BalDrick on March 16, 2011, 09:55:09 AM

The Beeb had this option for a World Cup - not the last one with the bloody vuvuzelas - I remember distinctly because I watched a Mexico -v- Argentina game that way, and it was amazing. However, I tried again with an England match and frankly it was pretty rubbish. As was the game, no coincidence I'm sure.

It's a shame that there wasn't a 'No Vuvuzela' button...

I've tried switching off the commentary and listening to it on the radio whilst watching it, but the time difference makes it confusing as hell!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

King_Crud

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 16, 2011, 10:04:56 AM

I've tried switching off the commentary and listening to it on the radio whilst watching it, but the time difference makes it confusing as hell!
i think you can get delay buttons on digital radios to sync with tvs. Alternatively if the tv picture is before the radion then pause the picture for a second and play and it should sync. Not that I've done before, but I'm looking at different options

BalDrick

'It's a shame that there wasn't a 'No Vuvuzela' button...'

Tell me about it! Those damn things - not singlehandedly admittedly - ruined the World Cup for me. It was a dire tournament anyway but they really were the icing on the cake.

sw9white

He's still miles better then having to put up with andy gray!

michaelread

Quote from: King_Crud on March 16, 2011, 10:06:47 AM
Quote from: The Equalizer on March 16, 2011, 10:04:56 AM

i think you can get delay buttons on digital radios to sync with tvs. Alternatively if the tv picture is before the radion then pause the picture for a second and play and it should sync. Not that I've done before, but I'm looking at different options

this is what I do with Fulham matches.

I turn the sound off on the tv, pause the video and let gentleman jim catch up and watch them synced. a lot more fun.

HatterDon

you can blame the "two idiots commentating" on us on this side of the water. You can also blame the 2nd idiot being a former player/manager on us as well. It was a stupid idea here, and it's a stupid idea over there. It invites too much talking -- and talking just for the sake of talking. There are occasional "color" announcers who help in identifying some aspect that might be missed. Efan Okoku's "this guy is looking for a fight" twenty minutes before the bloke got sent off in the World Cup was great, but mostly they're not needed.

What I've noticed, though, is that when there's only one in the box -- as there was in a Championship match I watched a while back, the one guy feels honor bound to talk enough for two.

As for the "crowd noise only," after years of complaining about the non-stop chatter during NFL games, one of the networks actually broadcast a match with crowd noise, miked officials, and the usual graphics, but with NO ANNOUNCERS. It was bloody wonderful, but the networks basically said, "Well, we've done it, now leave us alone." Never happened again.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

King_Crud

Quote from: HatterDon on March 16, 2011, 02:49:15 PM
What I've noticed, though, is that when there's only one in the box -- as there was in a Championship match I watched a while back, the one guy feels honor bound to talk enough for two.

I sometimes watch the Bundesliga or Eridivese and they only have one commentator, who mostly shuts up. It's wonderful.

I like american football but the commentary is terrible. Every single play is "inspired play" by the coach/players, and on the 27 replays they'll have "and this is the genius of xxxxxx" as they show a running back scramble 3 yards. And the commentators will always says "as i said earlier/predicted earlier"

BillNRoc

Anything on TV is being presented as "entertainment" and the voices are part of a package assembled by people who want to promote the greatness of what you're watching, not provide any actual critical insight into what's less than great. For example, many pro golfers hate Johnny Miller for his willingness to describe bad shots as bad, but fans (who hit lots of bad shots) think he's spot on. And Augusta won't let CBS use Gary McCord during the Masters for a joking comment he made years ago.

However, Wilkins was really awful, to the point that I wondered if he was looking at a different match than the one on my TV. In particular, I thought Rooney stunk up the place for the most part, with a few completed passes thrown in to justify his paycheck.

That said -- are there any broadcasters worth listening to, in your opinions? ESPN2 in the US on Saturdays is somewhat listenable, with McManamin moaning over scoreless first-half "performances" and occasionally calling out poor individual play (e.g., Torres in blue).

King_Crud

Quote from: BillNRoc on March 16, 2011, 06:14:54 PM
That said -- are there any broadcasters worth listening to, in your opinions? ESPN2 in the US on Saturdays is somewhat listenable, with McManamin moaning over scoreless first-half "performances" and occasionally calling out poor individual play (e.g., Torres in blue).

actually when i was in the Carribbean in January I saw some north american coverage, i really enjoyed McManaman