News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - anything worth watching on telly at the moment?

Started by BalDrick, March 16, 2011, 11:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalDrick

There is such a load of rubbish on TV at the moment, I'm desperately searching for something even half watchable.

Recent failed attempts include James Nesbitt in Monroe (a very poor man's House) and Silk (just rubbish, utter rubbish, despite having a few good people in it). I'm sure there are more that I've tried to delete from my memory. Nice to see Waking the Dead back, though I rumbled the mum wasn't ill midway through the first episode.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Equalizer

The only thing that I've seen that is remotely interesting is "Wonders of The Universe". An excellent documentary about, um, the wonders of the universe.

Well worth watching, and it good to see the keyboard player from D:Ream re:deeming himself after unleashing Peter Cunnah and his tartan trousers on the world back in the mid-90s.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

AlFayedsChequebook

The Charlie Brooker series 'How TV Ruined your life' although I think that may be over now.

I am struggling too so just started watching series one of The Sopranos, which is excellent.

The Doctor

A word of warning about "Wonders of the Universe" - do not watch it if you're in a negative frame of mind.  The entropy stuff from the first episode just made me wonder "well what's the fecking point in anything?"

MJG

Sorry to say that british made TV at the moment is bloody poor. All the drama's you mention are bog standard BBC/ITV fair.
The best programs they are making are science/nature programes and Doc's on BBC 4.

Saying that I love Coach Trip :doh:

Aspen

Treme & Boardwalk Empire - great
the Killing on BBC 4

Aspen

JBH

Quote from: Aspen on March 16, 2011, 12:11:31 PM
the Killing on BBC 4

Blue Bloods is also worth a watch

The Equalizer

Quote from: The Doctor on March 16, 2011, 12:08:04 PM
A word of warning about "Wonders of the Universe" - do not watch it if you're in a negative frame of mind.  The entropy stuff from the first episode just made me wonder "well what's the fecking point in anything?"

I find 'Professor' Brian Cox incredibly amusing. Having seen 2 episodes now I can actually do a half decent impersonation of him.

In a softly spoken Oldham accent"And what is amazing is that we. Are. All. Made of supernovas. And that's incredibly amazing. The universe is wonderful isn't it?" *gazes at sunset at camera pans in on his arse.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

The Equalizer

Quote from: Aspen on March 16, 2011, 12:14:45 PM
& Sherlock will be back soon

A good show, but Mark Gatiss and Stephen Moffatt have written it like an episode of Doctor Who. The stories are incredibly close to the original Conan Doyle, but I keep expecting the Ood or some Cybermen to pop up.

Burt

The only programs I go out of my way to watch are:
- Silk.
- Glee.
- Boardwalk Empire.

A bit of an eclectic mix, I know, but that's just how it is.

Lets face it, TV has been rubbish ever since they stopped making The Clangers.

BalDrick

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 16, 2011, 12:05:38 PM
The Charlie Brooker series 'How TV Ruined your life' although I think that may be over now.

I am struggling too so just started watching series one of The Sopranos, which is excellent.

Yep watched the whole Charlie Brooker series - good stuff. I was immune to the Sopranos bug at the time, so doubt I'll bother with that (apart from anything else it means spending money, which I'm trying to avoid).

Quote from: JBH on March 16, 2011, 12:15:09 PM
Quote from: Aspen on March 16, 2011, 12:11:31 PM
the Killing on BBC 4

Blue Bloods is also worth a watch

Treme I haven't tried. Boardwalk Empire I did, but as I somehow missed the first episode I never really worked out who everyone was. Blue Bloods I tried, watched my third last night and decided it was all a bit twee.

Now that was good.

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 16, 2011, 12:04:18 PM
The only thing that I've seen that is remotely interesting is "Wonders of The Universe". An excellent documentary about, um, the wonders of the universe.

Well worth watching, and it good to see the keyboard player from D:Ream re:deeming himself after unleashing Peter Cunnah and his tartan trousers on the world back in the mid-90s.

To be honest I'm getting more than my fill of documentaries from channels like Eden (never tire of David Attenborough), I was more looking for some easy telly I could switch my brain off for!
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Doctor

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 16, 2011, 12:16:25 PM
I find 'Professor' Brian Cox incredibly amusing.

I find his childlike awe of all things scientific is perfectly complemented by the fact he looks about 12.  Not a criticism, as he's obviously a very knowledgeable guy in his field and has the rare gift of being able to communicate these concepts to the layman, just a quirk that I find extremely funny

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 16, 2011, 12:21:06 PM
A good show, but Mark Gatiss and Stephen Moffatt have written it like an episode of Doctor Who

I thought I was the only one to pick up on that.  I guess they were working on the two at the same time, and so certain visual effects and parts of dialogue have bled from one to the other.  Hope they managed to differentiate the two programmes a bit more for the upcoming series

Alanovich

There is no point in anything, there never was and there never will be.  Once you understand and embrace this concept, your mind can be truly free.

It's actually a liberating thing to come to terms with, I believe.  Not that there's any point believing it.  ;-)
"I wear the trosuers in this house. And I wash them and I iron them."

- Dennis Thatcher

MJG

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 16, 2011, 12:21:06 PM

A good show, but Mark Gatiss and Stephen Moffatt have written it like an episode of Doctor Who. The stories are incredibly close to the original Conan Doyle, but I keep expecting the Ood or some Cybermen to pop up.
I see a comic relief or Children in Need crossover special episode in the future.

ImperialWhite

The Sopranos boxset is only £50 on Amazon, so I've been watching that. Halfway through season one, it's excellent.

Just finished Outcasts, which seemed to get worse with every episode. Last episode finally landed in the "it's so bad it's good" category.

MJG

Quote from: ImperialWhite on March 16, 2011, 12:50:57 PM
The Sopranos boxset is only £50 on Amazon, so I've been watching that. Halfway through season one, it's excellent.

Just finished Outcasts, which seemed to get worse with every episode. Last episode finally landed in the "it's so bad it's good" category.
Gave up on Outcasts halfway through Ep 4, what a waste of money ( i will not say talent because i did not see any).
The person who created that must have watched Battlestar Galatica season 2/3 and decided "I have a great idea for a tv show"

The Equalizer

Quote from: MJG on March 16, 2011, 12:55:03 PM

Gave up on Outcasts halfway through Ep 4, what a waste of money ( i will not say talent because i did not see any).
The person who created that must have watched Battlestar Galatica season 2/3 and decided "I have a great idea for a tv show"

It has got 'Apollo' in it.

MJG

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 16, 2011, 01:02:57 PM
Quote from: MJG on March 16, 2011, 12:55:03 PM

It has got 'Apollo' in it.
For 1 EP, unless he came back later?

Chopper

Being Human has just finished a third series and has, just about, maintained a good standard throughout. It's not your normal girly Twighlight style vampire stuff. I've really enjoyed the dark comedy aspect.

I'm quite enjoying Nurse Jackie on BBC2 and Raising Hope on Sky. Thought Sherlock was excellent, though I tend to like most things Stephen Moffat is involved with. I've heard that Breaking Bad is decent too, though I've not found it on TV and haven't been prepared to just buy the DVD set yet.

Regarding Wonders of the Universe

This is absolutely how I felt too. This weeks show went on to hammer home how insignificant we are. Not sure if it's an age thing but I'm really starting to think I need to rethink my entire life plan!

Sold my soul to the Green Pole