more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

MJ statue thread.........

Started by Bilet, March 16, 2011, 04:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilet

Quote from: finnster01 on March 16, 2011, 07:38:07 PM
And what exactly is the point of having a pop star statue at Craven Cottage?

Why couldn't MAF have it in his backyard? What has Michael Jackson ever done for Fulham? Went to a match, is that it? So that deserves a statue. They better put up another 40000+ ones then

It is so wrong because it dilutes the value of the one statue that truly belongs there and the struggles it took by die hard Fulham fans to get it erected. It is not only wrong, it is disrespectful to the fans. MAF can do whatever he wants because he owns the club, but I do not condone this effort of turning the Cottage into Madame Tussauds By the River :046:

Spot on. +1.

FC Silver Fox

Wacko Jacko statue by the Riverside stand?  It would be an outrage if it wasn't so pathetic. No matter what you think of Jackson, he has nothing to do with Fulham.  It would be FAR more appropriate to put up a statue of George Cohen who has been not only a brilliant player but also a real ambassador for the club.
  It seems that our beloved chairman commissoned the statue to put in Harrods. Not that he's sold his store, he hasn't got anywhere else to put it.  Can't he stick it in his garden in Switzerland?
  If anything, I'd rather see a statue of MAF than Wacko Jacko at the Cottage.

This statue is so wrong from many perspectives.
I'm sure we're going to be the butt of many bad taste jokes in the months to come.

Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

In the Enclosure

Mr Ska - I take your point know it is irksome but lets make a virtue out of a sin

Put it in the Public cafe next to the Cottage - sell the pilgrims shirts with Jackson on the back - widen our national fame wordwide.

Mo has always been a Maverick but we owe him much. OK perhaps he is wackier now he is older but perhaps he needs our support as a thank you for the roller coaster ride he has taken us all on. We have thick skins as Fulham supporters because this club is Quirky and Special  - always has been and I hope always will be - thats why we dont support Chelsea and why we the fans are special too.

In The Inclosure..

Yes i take your point.. and perhaps im wasting too much time worrying about something reasonably trival. Just dont like being told i cant have an opinion  or feel strongly about something. Thank you for you words.. its given me perspective and calmed me down a little.  I appreciate that.

White Noise

Quote from: ImperialWhite on March 16, 2011, 06:54:07 PM
@WN

Is that a real photo, where did you find it?

It looks...shite. Theme park-esque.

Yes. I posted it on this very board at about 11 this morning but no bugger was bothered with it then. Tucked away as it was in today's 'Other Stuff' thread. Sigh! :doh:

I should have made it a 'Caption Competition' - I can see that now. :011:

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=10815.0

It apparently has the words 'Man in the Mirror' around the base.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 16, 2011, 07:28:49 PM

Bollox.

It's a f**king statue of a pop star who never was convicted of anything.

Ridiculous, pointless, eccentric it may be but of very little importance.

People can work themselves up into a frenzy if they want but if it turns into a campaign against MAF understand the possible consequences.

Don't let him think that supporters have turned against him.

I'm listening to the news. Japan, Libya, Bahrein and we're campaigning against a statue?

Strewth.

+1

Not a fan of the guy,inappropriate to have at a football club he had no particular affinity except through friendship with the owner and it looks awful.

BUT. MAF has shown his respect for us, in about £200 million ways. Even in announcing the statue he praised us as the finest fans in the World. Not sure I like the idea, but it would be horrible if MAF thought for a second that we'd turned our backs on him for nothing more than wanting to commemorate his friend.

Ron Sheepskin

Dear Mr Fayed

It has been brought to my attention that the popular actor Daniel Radcliffe may have once mentioned that he is a Fulham fan. Mr Radcliffe has become very popular among young people for his performances in the Harry Potter motion pictures.

May I respectfully suggest that a statue of Mr Radcliffe in the guise of Harry Potter be erected at Craven Cottage. It could be portrayed with him waving his magic wand in the direction of the goalmouth, or perhaps sitting on a broomstick, suspended from the roof of the Putney stand.

I am absolutely certain that this would in no way be viewed as in bad taste, and would generate untold fortunes from tourists eager to get a glimpse of a stonework re-creation of their idol.

If Mr Radcliffe is not to your taste, my barber told me he has visited the Cottage on one occasion, at least as many times as Michael Jackson. Andy the Greek also has the advantage of still being able to sit and pose for a sculptor.

Yours

Ron Sheepskin
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

mrska

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on March 16, 2011, 08:04:47 PM
Dear Mr Fayed

It has been brought to my attention that the popular actor Daniel Radcliffe may have once mentioned that he is a Fulham fan. Mr Radcliffe has become very popular among young people for his performances in the Harry Potter motion pictures.

May I respectfully suggest that a statue of Mr Radcliffe in the guise of Harry Potter be erected at Craven Cottage. It could be portrayed with him waving his magic wand in the direction of the goalmouth, or perhaps sitting on a broomstick, suspended from the roof of the Putney stand.

I am absolutely certain that this would in no way be viewed as in bad taste, and would generate untold fortunes from tourists eager to get a glimpse of a stonework re-creation of their idol.

If Mr Radcliffe is not to your taste, my barber told me he has visited the Cottage on one occasion, at least as many times as Michael Jackson. Andy the Greek also has the advantage of still being able to sit and pose for a sculptor.

Yours

Ron Sheepskin
Absolutely Brilliant... nicking that

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: FLETCHINO on March 16, 2011, 05:50:15 PM
This is a crazy move I'm very piss off about this  
he was a exter city fan we should give it to them

Strange. I always had him pegged for a BCS Young Boys fan.  :005:
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Matt

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on March 16, 2011, 08:33:55 PM
Quote from: FLETCHINO on March 16, 2011, 05:50:15 PM
This is a crazy move I'm very piss off about this   
he was a exter city fan we should give it to them

Strange. I always had him pegged for a BCS Young Boys fan.  :005:
:005:
Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

OtterFFC

SmithyFFC

Quote from: Bilet on March 16, 2011, 07:40:50 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on March 16, 2011, 07:38:07 PM
And what exactly is the point of having a pop star statue at Craven Cottage?

Why couldn't MAF have it in his backyard? What has Michael Jackson ever done for Fulham? Went to a match, is that it? So that deserves a statue. They better put up another 40000+ ones then

It is so wrong because it dilutes the value of the one statue that truly belongs there and the struggles it took by die hard Fulham fans to get it erected. It is not only wrong, it is disrespectful to the fans. MAF can do whatever he wants because he owns the club, but I do not condone this effort of turning the Cottage into Madame Tussauds By the River :046:

Spot on. +1.

+2, this is a complete joke.
FTID

Scrumpy

Well I'm going to upset a few of you. I agree with Tony Gilroy, Imperial, (and others) 100 percent on this. I think it's hilarious! Al Fayed is an eccentric, rich benefactor. He's bought a bit of tat and probably promised Jacko's family that he would erect it somewhere nice. He doesn't want that kind of rubbish in his own garden so he's stuck it in the darkest possible corner of Craven Cottage! It really could not be more hidden, and will be gone as soon as new owners take over (if not before).

If you're worried about getting ribbed by other fans, then use your gumption and think up a witty chant that will make it clear that Wacko Jacko is not considered one of us. Or buy a Chelsea shirt and stick it on the statue.

I really can't get too excited over this, especially when you consider some of the other sh1t that is happening around the world at the moment.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

FC Silver Fox

With Michael Jackson putting the wind up so many young people, I'm surprised the Ranelagh yacht club don't make a formal complaint against this proposal. Its bound to affect the sailing opposite the ground.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Burt

:tom:  x millions.

Good music and dancing.

Rubbish role model.

And absolutely feck all to do with Fulham.

Jimpav

MAF has done lots for the club but take a reality check he's got money to burn and Fulham has been a fun and rewarding hobby for him. I respect what he has done and where he has taken the club but there was life before MAF and there will be life after him.

We don't need publicity, we are the oldest club in London and made a European final.

No individual is bigger or better than this club be it Michael Jackson, MAF or even the legend that is Haynes.

Lighthouse

Michael Jackson was an original talent that touched the heart of millions of people around the World. He NEVER did anything wrong other than be accused by money grabbing, dirty little parasites. Mr Jackson was a friend of Mr Al Fayed who is the Chairman of a football club. Without Mr Al Fayed there would be no Fulham Football Club. We would not be playing in one of the best leagues in the World (to coin a phrase). So Mr Al Fayed should be allowed to do what ever he likes without the chorus of disapproval.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Logicalman

Quote from: b+w geezer on March 16, 2011, 06:44:05 PM
Pity no-one managed to talk him out of it -- too worried about their mortgages probably. When MAF came on board there was a fear he'd for ever be pulling these kinds of stunts, hitherto unfounded. He's certainly making up for lost time with this.

"Came on Board"? You mean bank-rolled us from almost oblivion to a Premiership side, I think you are being ungrateful and contemptuous towards a man that has spent more money  than you, or I, or anyone else on this, or any other Fulham MB, could even dream of being able to pay towards the upkeep of our beloved club.

I agree, it's in poor taste, I agree that Jacko had nothing to do with Fulham, and I also agree that this measure was an afterthought since MaF sold Harrods, but as far as I'm concerned, as long as MaF is willing to bankroll MY club to the tune he is doing, he can do all he wants as long as it doesn't affect the team itself, or the fact we remain at the Cottage.

I'm grateful for him and his millions, because without him, there would be precious few of the many fans we have outside of those that stood on the terraces during the dark days of old, and even fewer overseas fans that joined our family because we had exposure, and we have MaF, and him alone, to thank for all that. So please, show some respect to the guy, or see if you can do what he's done for us.

.. end of rant .. and goodnight   :drums:

CorkedHat

Is it more than a coincidence that this decision is made the day after White Noise is anointed "Mr Fayed" on this very MB? Own up WN – it was all your idea wasn't it?
I'm just glad Tommy Trinder didn't have the same idea otherwise we might have all been looking at a statue of Hattie Jacques
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us