more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

More proof footy is stuck in the dark ages

Started by timmyg, March 17, 2011, 07:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImperialWhite

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 18, 2011, 09:23:36 AM
I definitely think that the ability to watch every top flight game/european cup game is long overdue.

I have never been convinced by the falling attendences argument. Yes some people may choose to watch from home but for the majority, there is nothing like being at the game. Would you turn down tickets to Fulham v Juventus and instead watch at home?

Ticket prices need to fall anyway, so this will help, but most importantly, many of the smaller clubs will get exposure. This means:

1) More TV Money
2) More Merchandising
3) More Sponsorship money

Any one of those three would easily counteract the, IMO minimal, loss from attendances.

We all know that ticket sales no longer run clubs so why are we so obssessed by them?

I wouldn't turn down tickets for Fulham - Juve, cos that was a European cup quarter final. However, I argue that for the majority, there is nothing like sitting on your arse and not forking out £30. That's why for early round cup games, it's cheaper to see Fulham than Oxford United in League Two (but Craven Cottage is still half empty). Why Man City's ground last night was half empty. It's why people follow United, Les Arse and Liverpool and the like - cheaper and easier to watch down the local. The majority of football fans don't go to matches. In fact, I bet if you did a poll here on FOF (where most people would consider themselves serious fans), less than half of us would actually be attending matches on a regular basis.

You're right that for most top flight clubs (all?), TV money makes up most of their revenue. However, I'm not convinced this is a good thing - the less attending fans matter, they less they will be thought about. Not a problem if a match is moved if you were only going to watch on telly. It is a problem if you've bought train tickets for £50. How long ago was the thread on here complaining that we don't get enough Saturday 3 o'clocks? The more TV money counts, the less attending fans count, ultimately.

I'd love to see all matches being, but I'd first want tickets to be (much) cheaper. Only way to do that is through lowering wages, I think.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on March 18, 2011, 04:24:08 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on March 18, 2011, 09:23:36 AM
I definitely think that the ability to watch every top flight game/european cup game is long overdue.

I have never been convinced by the falling attendences argument. Yes some people may choose to watch from home but for the majority, there is nothing like being at the game. Would you turn down tickets to Fulham v Juventus and instead watch at home?

Ticket prices need to fall anyway, so this will help, but most importantly, many of the smaller clubs will get exposure. This means:

1) More TV Money
2) More Merchandising
3) More Sponsorship money

Any one of those three would easily counteract the, IMO minimal, loss from attendances.

We all know that ticket sales no longer run clubs so why are we so obssessed by them?

I wouldn't turn down tickets for Fulham - Juve, cos that was a European cup quarter final. However, I argue that for the majority, there is nothing like sitting on your arse and not forking out £30. That's why for early round cup games, it's cheaper to see Fulham than Oxford United in League Two (but Craven Cottage is still half empty). Why Man City's ground last night was half empty. It's why people follow United, Les Arse and Liverpool and the like - cheaper and easier to watch down the local. The majority of football fans don't go to matches. In fact, I bet if you did a poll here on FOF (where most people would consider themselves serious fans), less than half of us would actually be attending matches on a regular basis.

You're right that for most top flight clubs (all?), TV money makes up most of their revenue. However, I'm not convinced this is a good thing - the less attending fans matter, they less they will be thought about. Not a problem if a match is moved if you were only going to watch on telly. It is a problem if you've bought train tickets for £50. How long ago was the thread on here complaining that we don't get enough Saturday 3 o'clocks? The more TV money counts, the less attending fans count, ultimately.

I'd love to see all matches being, but I'd first want tickets to be (much) cheaper. Only way to do that is through lowering wages, I think.

Tickets would get cheaper because market forces (i.e. the ability to pay £30 a month rather than per game) would drive them down.

To avoid matches being moved, they should just abolish the incredibly stupid 'no showing of 3 o'clock games' rule.

Your point about early cup games is very valid, but I think after maybe an initial shock period, attendances would remain very similar - going to the ground is more fun after all. Away attendances may be lowered, but then again, could this be countered by increased awareness of the club through TV (probably not).

Obviously the majority of football fans do not go to matches, otherwise all clubs would be tiny! This actually dovetails with the 'fans not thought about' aspect. We already know that most fans do not go to games yet keeping the the fans happy is still very much in the best interests of the clubs. Plus, fans are idiots who will follow the club whatever happens, so we have limited sway anyway.

SoCalJoe

Quote from: finnster01 on March 18, 2011, 10:59:29 AM
Well, I can only say I'm even into it. I watched on telly all day yesterday, have my "brackets" all in and are doing surprisingly good for knowing very little about the teams.  I live in Harlem NYC which is basketball crazy. I like watching them play inner city urban basketball whilst having my lunch at the projects in the summer. Fantastic talent that mostly end up disappearing after high school and end up in jail unfortunately.

In addition, I have to listen to live "commentary" from my girlfriend who used to play basketball and apparently thinks she is the US version of Andy Gray...(hope she is not reading this  :026:)

You picked a good time to follow Mr. Finn. The office bracket is what makes people around the country for decades pay attention every March even if they haven't seen a minute during the season i.e. 'Gonzaga, I love that name, I'll pick them to win a couple games'. Yesterday was the best opening day the tourney has seen in a few years. Forget the streams, 4 channels are showing all the games. Just thankful that I don't have to see a customer until Monday and can 'work' from the house, w/remote control at the ready  :045:
You can observe a lot by just watching.

McBridefan1

If you support college sports you support a socially acceptable form of slavery... kids work their arses off make the colleges millions of dollars and the kids can't even hold down jobs to support themselves. If you are a college athlete and they pay your tuition you can go to school you can play sports but not much else... College athletes= free labor...  :red:

SoCalJoe

Quote from: McBridefan1 on March 18, 2011, 05:31:16 PM
If you support college sports you support a socially acceptable form of slavery... kids work their arses off make the colleges millions of dollars and the kids can't even hold down jobs to support themselves. If you are a college athlete and they pay your tuition you can go to school you can play sports but not much else... College athletes= free labor...  :red:

McF1, they've been able to work part-time for a few years now. Would never compare having tuition, room and board, books, and meals (most all athletes have training tables for food) to slavery. Only american football and basketball make money for the school while every other sport loses money hand over fist (golf, tennis, volleyball, etc..). If you are on a scholarship to play any sport, you have next to no time to hold down a part-time job anyway between practice, class, studying, travel, team commitments etc.

McBridefan1

Quote from: SoCalJoe on March 18, 2011, 05:50:57 PM

McF1, they've been able to work part-time for a few years now. Would never compare having tuition, room and board, books, and meals (most all athletes have training tables for food) to slavery. Only american football and basketball make money for the school while every other sport loses money hand over fist (golf, tennis, volleyball, etc..). If you are on a scholarship to play any sport, you have next to no time to hold down a part-time job anyway between practice, class, studying, travel, team commitments etc.

Really cuz a lot of slave owners used to give their slaves room and board, books (like the bible) and meals but it was still slavery. If most sports lose money then why are they held to the same stupid rules? Or are they... I knew many student athletes in my day, and maybe it's changed but it was pretty close to slavery without all the whips and swinging low in chariots.  :dead horse: don't want to beat a dead horse but  :dead horse: :dead horse: :dead horse: I hate college sports, with a passion.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

idiot Northern Monkey question-what's "picking your bracket" :001:

SoCalJoe

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on March 19, 2011, 01:34:42 PM

Syd, the bracket is in regards to the college basketball tournament that happens every March in the States. It's a win and advance or lose and go home scenario to determine the national champion. You fill out your picks called the "bracket" that go from 64 teams to 32 to 16 (ala the FA Cup) and so on until only one team survives. Almost every place of work over here has a competition among the employees where everyone throws in a few quid and follows the tournament.

McBridefan1

I thought syd was american? Apparently not.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: McBridefan1 on March 19, 2011, 02:08:17 PM
I thought syd was american? Apparently not.
HAHA-I've been accused of a few things but never of being an American :011:,I'm from the North West of England mate, a place called St Helens in between Liverpool and Manchester  :62: :57: :027:

AmericanJames

Quote from: McBridefan1 on March 19, 2011, 01:07:13 PM

Really cuz a lot of slave owners used to give their slaves room and board, books (like the bible) and meals but it was still slavery. If most sports lose money then why are they held to the same stupid rules? Or are they... I knew many student athletes in my day, and maybe it's changed but it was pretty close to slavery without all the whips and swinging low in chariots.  :dead horse: don't want to beat a dead horse but  :dead horse: :dead horse: :dead horse: I hate college sports, with a passion.

Yea but slaves didnt get a $20,000 to $50,000 education did they. A lot of this kids wouldn't even get a chance to go to university if it was not for sports.
Personally I'd prefer to watch college football and basketball over pro, you dont have a bunch of cry babies but kids who really wanna play the game and for the good of the team (or sometimes there draft status but still).

Some people are literally too stupid to insult

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: SoCalJoe on March 19, 2011, 01:57:58 PM
Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on March 19, 2011, 01:34:42 PM

Syd, the bracket is in regards to the college basketball tournament that happens every March in the States. It's a win and advance or lose and go home scenario to determine the national champion. You fill out your picks called the "bracket" that go from 64 teams to 32 to 16 (ala the FA Cup) and so on until only one team survives. Almost every place of work over here has a competition among the employees where everyone throws in a few quid and follows the tournament.

Cheers Joe,that makes sense,we call that a sweep stake and do the same for the World Cup :59:

McBridefan1

Quote from: AmericanJames on March 19, 2011, 02:24:12 PM
Quote from: McBridefan1 on March 19, 2011, 01:07:13 PM

Yea but slaves didnt get a $20,000 to $50,000 education did they. A lot of this kids wouldn't even get a chance to go to university if it was not for sports.
Personally I'd prefer to watch college football and basketball over pro, you dont have a bunch of cry babies but kids who really wanna play the game and for the good of the team (or sometimes there draft status but still).

No what you've got there are teams with one or two kids who will play in the NFL playing against a bunch of English lit majors and accountants... snorefest. As for the free education, that lasts as long as you don't get hurt. when you do get hurt they throw you out with the garbage. Slavery, not as bad as the original but still a form of. Those kids aren't playing for an education they are playing with the sad hope of making the pros... and that is exploitive in my opinion.