watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (22.03.11)

Started by White Noise, March 22, 2011, 06:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/640973-clint-dempsey-a-profile-of-fulhams-american-attacker-staking-his-claim

Clint Dempsey: A Profile of Fulham's American Attacker Staking His Claim

By Thomas Atzenhoffer (Contributor) on March 21, 2011 -

Matthew Lewis/Getty Images

American players aren't often the most highly thought of in English football. Many regard those of us across the pond to not have the most innate sense of love or passion for the beautiful game, but in the last few years several American players have made those in the English Premier League take notice.

Brian McBride had an excellent career at Fulham, scoring 41 goals in 151 appearances between 2004 and 2008. Tim Howard and Brad Friedel have risen to be two of the best goalkeepers in the EPL for Everton and Aston Villa respectively, and American starlet Landon Donovan experienced an excellent loan spell at Everton last season.

However, none of them have arrived at the level that Clint Dempsey has for an American as of Saturday, and few of them have had the kind of impact that he has in the last two seasons. Dempsey has been the rising star of the Cottagers for several seasons now. Last season he helped to lead them to the final of the 2010 Europa League.

Although they failed to achieve victory against Atletico Madrid, the feat of getting so far by a team that many regarded to be a mid-table bottom-feeding club in England was magnificent to watch.

Dempsey played a key role throughout the Cottagers' league campaign and Europa journey last season and scored what may have been the goal of the tournament last year when he put a masterful long-range chip shot into the net past the Juventus keeper, but he is starting to have an effect on his club this year that few realize or would ever have believed possible.

Dempsey Scores His First Fulham Goal Against Liverpool
Having joined Fulham after only two seasons in Major League Soccer, he arrived untested and un-enthusing to many in the English game. Fulham had been nicknamed "Fulham America" at one time for having so much faith in American talent, but it seemed true to form with the arrival of Dempsey.

He made his name in college as a central midfielder for the Furman Paladins and rose through the ranks of the New England Revolution during their prime after being selected eighth in the 2004 MLS Draft. He scored 25 goals in 71 appearances for the Revs and was the 2004 MLS Rookie of the Year and earned his most significant achievement to date as the 2006 Honda Player of the Year.

With his credentials established in the States, Dempsey eyed a move internationally. Charlton Athletic had already been denied the services of the young midfielder when he was still under contract with New England in early 2006, and Dempsey knew that possibly the only chance to get his way was to make it happen once a free agent.

Fulham offered him a contract in 2006 after acquiring his services for four million pounds in an agreement with MLS, and upon arrival he set out to win the fans' hearts and truly did so, as he scored a vital goal against Liverpool to keep the Cottagers from being relegated to the English Championship during the last days of the 2006-2007 EPL season.

Two of Dempsey's Greatest Strikes Including his Chip Against Juve
Dempsey continued to make his way in the EPL throughout the next two seasons, and in the 2009-2010 season he finally staked his major claim to fame for the Cottagers. With the London club's introduction into European competition in the newly formed Europa League, no one knew that they would find themselves in the final.

Dempsey helped lead the charge from the beginning to the end, as he scored his first goal in European competition against Amkar Perm in the qualifying phase of the competition. An injury slowed his League and European hopes in January after just being named in the English Premier League's top 11 Players by Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport.

He returned as a substitute against Juventus on March 18, 2010 and scored the previously mentioned master class strike to help seal the Cottagers' advancement in their European dream of a campaign. The goal is still debated as to whether it is or will be considered the most important goal in Fulham's history, considering that it knocked out one of the most successful teams in Italy's history.

Dempsey made further history, as he became the first American to ever play in a European final when he came on as a substitute against Atletico Madrid. Although the Mattress Makers would lift the Europa League Cup thanks to a 116th-minute winner from Diego Forlan in extra time, Fulham nonetheless had made a great success out of their European journey, though they slumped to 12th in the League.

Which Team is More Likely to try and Sign Dempsey away from Fulham

Everton
Aston Ville
Liverpool
None - Fulham Keep Him

Submit Vote vote to see results  

Which Team is More Likely to try and Sign Dempsey away from Fulham

Everton
10.0%
Aston Ville
10.0%
Liverpool
40.0%
None - Fulham Keep Him
40.0%
Total votes: 50

This season has seen Dempsey achieve something no other American player has in England. He scored his 10th goal in the Premier League Saturday in the Cottagers' disappointing loss to Everton. He is now tied for seventh in the Premier League scoring table with Spurs' Rafael van der Vaart, West Brom's Peter Obemwingie and Manchester United's Javier Hernandez.

Having scored his 10th against fellow American Tim Howard seems almost ironic but possibly makes it all the sweeter. Fellow American and Former Fulham teammate Brian McBride scored nine goals in successive seasons but never was able to score 10 while in England.

However, Dempsey's goals this season have meant as much to his club as anyone. Dempsey's league goal tally of 10 accounts for over 30 percent of Fulham's 33 goals in the league this season. Fulham's second-leading scorer, Damien Duff, has only four goals compared to Dempsey's 10, and the American's three assists are second in only to Welsh midfielder Simon Davies' total of four.

Dempsey's strikes also have given the team a decisive boost when it comes to points earned this season. Saturday's loss at Everton was the first game the Cottagers have lost this League campaign in which Dempsey has scored.

His two braces against Wigan Athletic and Stoke City were the difference, and his strikes against Blackburn, West Ham United, Birmingham City and Aston Villa all guaranteed draws and not losses. All totaled, Fulham have three wins, four draws and only one loss, earning 13 out of 24 points, when Dempsey is on the score sheet.

Dempsey's strikes also have meant a lot to the United States men's national team. Looking at the last 10 games he has scored in for the United States going back to 2007, they have seven wins, one draw and two losses.

Either way you look at it, if Dempsey puts one in the back of the net for club or country, it is highly influential.

The future continues to look bright for the just turned 28-year-old, as his rise to prominence in the English Premier League and on the international stage is sure to have larger clubs looking to sign him away from London during the summer.

White Noise

Leicester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson tells BBC Radio Leicester that new loan signing Diomansy Kamara will bring his side much-needed pace up front.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leicester_city/9431946.stm

White Noise

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/80915.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Kamara slams Hughes after Fulham exit

March 21, 2011

Diomansy Kamara will look to revive his career at Leicester © Getty Images

Leicester have secured the loan signing of Fulham striker Diomansy Kamara until the end of the season.

Kamara, a 30-year-old Senegal international, has joined Sven-Goran Eriksson's side on a deal which will include the Championship play-offs if the Foxes are involved.

Eriksson told the club's official website: ''Diomansy is a quality striker and will be a great addition to our team. He brings with him pace, good technical ability and Premier League quality. I am sure he will settle in well and be an exciting player for the club.''

Kamara made his name in English football at West Brom, scoring 23 goals that led the Baggies into the Championship play-offs in 2007, before making a £6 million move to Craven Cottage where he has scored 18 times in 68 appearances.

''The gaffer tried not to play me because I was at the end of my contract. It's good for me to be here,'' Kamara said. ''At Fulham I was the second best goalscorer when I left, but the manager did not want to play me. It was his choice.''

The striker is looking forward to working under Eriksson as well as fellow striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni, whom he played alongside at Portsmouth six seasons ago.

''I'm so happy to be here. It is a massive club with a good manager. When he called me I was so pleased,'' he said. ''He called me 10 days ago. I am also a friend of Yak and I thought 'why not, it is a good challenge'.

''I think I can do something for this club. I have to play good football and score goals now that I am here.

White Noise

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1403000.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

Kamara escapes tough Fulham spell

(AFP) Monday 21 March 2011

Senegalese international forward Diomansy Kamara temporarily escaped his frustrating spell at Premier League side Fulham today when he signed on loan for Championship outfit Leicester City.

The 30-year-old marksman, capped 49 times, attracted Leicester manager Sven-Goran Eriksson because of his turn of foot and believes he can play a decisive role in securing the Foxes a place in the play-offs.

"I like pace, especially in strikers and he has pace," Eriksson told BBC Radio. "His record is very good. We hope he can help us win more games and score more goals."

Kamara has scored 12 times in 59 appearances for Fulham since joining for £6 million from West Brom in 2007. Five of those came in his 11 games this term, though that includes a hat-trick in an FA Cup humbling of League One side Peterborough.

The forward has not started for Fulham in two months, and is expected to make his debut on 2 April against Middlesbrough. Leicester are six points below the play-off places with eight matches remaining.

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/how-much-do-individual-players-matter/

How much do individual players matter?

Filed under: General — rich @ 8:03 pm

This thought springs from a comment Tony Gilroy made at Friends of Fulham.  It really is a team game, so most praise and criticism of individuals needs to be seen within that context.

Remember Juventus?  Our midfield that day:  Duff-Baird-Etuhu-Davies

There was a game at Spurs a couple of years ago.  Hangeland was ill at the last minute, so Chris Baird (pre-Bairdinho) stepped in at centre-back.   No worries; 0-0 (and £45 for me, £5 at 9-1).

Look at Manchester United, who will win the league despite playing teams like: vds, O'Shea, Smalling, Evans, Evra, Fletcher, Scholes, Gibson, Nani, Rooney, Hernandez (and Berbatov – the league's top scorer).    That's a team at work there.

Teamwork is the missing link; it's what Hodgson's coaching gave the team and allowed it to over-achieve.  It's what occasionally seems to be lacking in Hughes' less rigid approach (although we must always remember that Hodgson wasn't great without Zamora either).

Which players in the Fulham side have the magic mojo to make those around them better?  Which are important players but who don't necessarily raise the game of others?

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/03/are_we_making_progress.php

Are We Making Progress?

Posted by Phil Mison 22 hours, 41 minutes ago

We asked for 'fearless' and got 'feeble.' The end of term report is being prepared and lessons it seems are still to be learnt. The latest away loss at Everton was all too predictable.
Watching Fulham away from home can be dispiriting to say the least. You are gatecrashers to an uninvited party, trampling your muddy boots across the carpet and arriving without any booze under your arm. Snog all the available birds, challenge anyone who objects to a fight, rubbish the music selection and maybe rip the gate off its hinges when storming out having relieved yourself in the bushes. That's how you approach an away game on enemy territory!

OK, maybe it's a few years since I did any of the above...except perhaps the last one. Ah yes, I've just described your typical West London student party circa 1971, with perhaps a smidgen of exaggeration. Only the names have been changed to protect the guilty.

Was the guilty party Saturday evening the men in white or the manager who prepares the team? As previously blogged the initiative was with Everton from the off, Moyes having been given clear indication 48 hours before the match how we would set up. Distin could have played in his carpet slippers. With Gudjohnson having gone public weeks ago with his desire to land a permanent move, why not suggest in the press call you might be 'going with more height in attack' to vary our attacking options? That Fulham were going to 'shake things up' to break their dismal record on the road, and at this venue. Psychological mind games maybe, but why not try any trick in the book?

What sort of bench was that to exclude Pantsil and Gera? Unless they had knocks, and I've found no evidence to suggest that, Kelly should never be above these two stalwarts in the pecking order. Baird endured a torrid first-half. He's entitled to have an off day. Having Pantsil in reserve would have been the perfect option. John thrives in pressure games, his three own goals this season, calamitous and unfortunate, should not mask his generally solid displays over time. Gera for Dembele from the start would have given us a different rhythm - other posters are now picking up on something I posted last month, Dembele needs to rediscover his mojo in the reserves. Since the Spurs cup tie he has looked ordinary and blunt up front.

The midfield was again woeful. Too deep, missed tackles all afternoon, and conceding two very poor goals. Yes, our venerable now 34 year-old captain was responsible for both, compounded by Etuhu's soft foul leading to Saha's free kick. Do players actually watch the kicker's set up? I knew exactly where that free-kick was going. Saha even stepped up to the ball and flattened the turf for his standing left-leg. Having done that, and with the shape of his run, you knew it had to be arrowed into the near, not far post. What was the wall doing? Through it went, Schwarzer unsighted.

Charlton went out of the Prem when relying on Matt Holland for one season too many, Fulham will go the same way if sentiment gets in the way of accepting our captain's days are now well and truly numbered. Much as I'm willing him to come good, even the motivation of no doubt wanting to show Everton fans what he can still do, failed to lift AJ to his previous deadly heights. Yes, people say he's not getting the service, and that's a valid point. But come on, since he returned in October, where are the goals? I'm sorry but this summer next stop for AJ, coming up to 30, has to be one of the bigger sides in the Championship, one of the relegated three (WBA would be an obvious fit) or one of the promoted three (in tandem with Heidar at QPR might give him a new lease of life). AJ's replacement will hopefully be ready by next autumn - he's currently completing his apprenticeship on loan at Bournemouth. Yes, you know who I mean.

And talking of strikers...Bobby had to be on for the start of the 2nd half. What was Hughes thinking of not to have made the switch in the interval? Even the gaffer had to come out and admit we had been poor in the first 45. So BZ lumbers on when the game is lost at 0-2, sets up Clint for a terrific goal with his first meaningful touch - congrats to Demps for that 10th league goal of the campaign - and then for the last 15 minutes Everton get nervy and we're in with a sniff of a point. If the medical staff say Bobby can't physically handle 90 minutes, I don't care! Stick him out there for nuisance value alone and to tie up two defenders. He doesn't even have to break sweat as far as I'm concerned, anything's better than what we're stuck with at present.

Wanna know why Blackpool on the road this season have been so hard to handle? From one week to the next you never quite know what Holloway's going to do. Refreshing, unpredictable, aggressive. Compare their away points tally to ours. They've done it by being bold and willing to take the game to the opposition - and they don't care if it's Man United or Wigan. By golly, our game against them in April's going to be a humdinger. Care to predict the score anyone?

I really hope Blackpool survive. But then of course we don't want it to be at Fulham's expense. We've another two weeks to get it right before our date with Holloway's warriors. It's a massive relegation scrap now pure and simple after our failure to take any points at the weekend. We must pray that Sidwell is back on schedule and fit for this one, otherwise Adam may play us off the park on his own (my Player of the Season vote, though of course he won't get it).

Let's finish on a bright note by congratulating Clint on his landmark goal. It was a beauty and we all saw what it meant to him, even in a losing cause. If any Bayern Munich representatives were in Liverpool at the weekend I bet that short list's been hurriedly re-drafted...

Come on Fulham, let's see a reaction to this latest road trip surrender with a strong final two months of the season. As the chairman said after the Man City debacle in November, relegation is NOT an option.

Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

Mark Hughes blasts Charlton Athletic's treatment of Fulham keeper
By Jacob Murtagh

Mar 21 2011

MARK Hughes has hit out at Charlton Athletic's treatment of Fulham keeper Neil Etheridge.

The Whites boss recalled the Philippines international just a week into a month-long loan at the Valley after two games warming the bench for the League One club.

And Craven Cottage chief Hughes admits Etheridge was probably brought in as a cover rather than to fill then void between the sticks.

He said: "We hoped he was going to get games.

"We were told the likelihood was that he wouldn't be involved at first but would certainly play in the next [game]. It looked really that maybe he was taken just to sit on the bench.

"My view is that I'd rather have him back here training with our group facing shots from Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele than sitting on the bench for Charlton."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/03/21/mark-hughes-blasts-charlton-athletic-s-treatment-of-fulham-keeper-82029-28376745/#ixzz1HJIyXGlu

White Noise

Michael Jackson statue plan attacked by hundreds of Fulham FC fans

By Dan Hodges

Mar 21 2011

Hundreds of Fulham FC fans have voiced their dismay after learning that a statue of troubled superstar Michael Jackson is to be unveiled at Craven Cottage.

Club chairman Mohamed Al Fayed last week stunned supporters by announcing that a memorial to the late singer, who was a close personal friend, will be revealed before the match against Blackpool on April 3.

More than 400 people have now signed an online petition opposing the Jacko monument, arguing that it would 'devalue the honour' of legendary Fulham player and former England captain Johnny Haynes, the only other person ever awarded the same privilege.

The petition authors said they welcomed the vital investment and support which Mr Al Fayed had given their club, but urged him to rethink the move.

"It is a firmly held belief that this kind of memorial statue is not appropriate within the walls of our ground, and would urge the chairman to re-consider his plans to erect the memorial at Craven Cottage." they said.

Those sentiments were echoed across the Atlantic by Steve Malbasa, secretary of American supporters' club FulhamUSA, who said: "The people who loved Michael Jackson and would turn a blind eye to the freak show that he always had as part of his life are generally not sports fans. When I read about it, I was dismayed."

More than 170 people also signed a separate petition on the club's official website, with some posting critical comments. Several were later removed, prompting further objections, although a club spokeswoman said only those posts which were libellous or offensive had been taken down, and that it welcomed a 'healthy debate' about the statue.

One fan wrote: "I keep hoping that this is a premature, and embarrassing, April fool's joke."

Another supporter using the name Logicman, striking a more pragmatic tone, said: "The place this statue appears is not as prominent as some people might believe, and if it was a straight choice between keeping the statue or losing Mohamed Al Fayed's backing, I know which side I would fall on."

The memorial was originally due to be erected outside Harrods but was moved to Craven Cottage after Mr Al Fayed decided to put the department store up for sale.

It will be the second time a statue of Jacko has overlooked the Thames, after the singer floated another down the river in 1995 to promote his HIStory album.

Explaining his decision, Mr Al Fayed said: "Michael Jackson was truly a legend, a term used too often in this modern world saturated in the hyperbole surrounding celebrity.

"He was my friend, a man with whom I shared many happy memories and who died a tragic and untimely death. He left behind a legacy of music so vast it takes one's breath away, from a precocious talent to an ingenuity and ground breaking modernity that shall never be repeated."

The chairman added that he hoped fans of the singer would visit Craven Cottage 'from far and wide' and that Fulham fans 'will appreciate seeing the finest performer in the world, in and amongst them, the finest fans in the world'.

The statue will be unveiled at 12pm on April 3.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-and-hammersmith-news/local-fulham-and-hammersmith-news/2011/03/21/michael-jackson-statue-plan-attacked-by-hundreds-of-fulham-fc-fans-82029-28376776/#ixzz1HJJXQK5l

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2011/03/21/2405077/fulhams-zoltan-gera-considering-summer-exit-on-free-transfer

Fulham's Zoltan Gera Considering Summer Exit On Free Transfer

Hungarian would be open to Italy or Spain move

By Mark Fordham

Mar 21, 2011 5:17:00 PM

The agent of Fulham midfielder Zoltan Gera has hinted that his client may not be offered a new contract at the west London club and is willing to look abroad for a new team in the summer if he has no Premier League takers.

The Hungarian international is out of contract in the summer and the indications at the moment are that he won't be offered a new deal.

The midfielder has been more of a peripheral figure in the first team this season since the arrival of manager Mark Hughes, and his representative, Vlada Filipovic, has said that his client will consider moves abroad but he would rather stay in the Premier League if possible.

"Zoltan is free in the summer and a few clubs from Italy and Spain have recently made enquires as he can sign a pre-contract abroad," he told skysports.com.

"Of course he would like to remain in the Premier League but he is also open to a new challenge abroad.

"Zoltan is away with the national team at the moment. Once he is back we will have a discussion and start looking towards his future."

Gera was a key figure in the club's success last season as they reached the Europa League final but his role has been diminished to largely substitute appearances this season.

Filipovic also suggested that there were enquiries for the playmaker in January but Hughes wanted to keep hold of him until the end of the season.

He added: "There was interest and offers from clubs in the January window to take him but the manager [Mark Hughes] wanted to keep him."

White Noise

Leicester City beat Cardiff to sign Fulham striker

By Jacob Murtagh

Mar 21 2011

LEICESTER City have signed Fulham frontman Diomansy Kamara on loan for the rest of the season.

We exclusively revealed on Thursday that the Foxes had made contact with the Whites about the Senegalese striker, who is way down the pecking order at Craven Cottage after the January arrivals of Eidur Gudjohnsen and Gael Kakuta and the return to fitness of Moussa Dembele and Bobby Zamora.

And the club have now confirmed the Championship outfit have landed the £24k-a-week hitman, who had also been linked with Cardiff City.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/03/21/leicester-city-beat-cardiff-to-sign-fulham-striker-82029-28377343/#ixzz1HJKScwyu

White Noise

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/sport/STEPHENS-FULHAM-TRIP/article-3355266-detail/article.html

Plymouth Argyle's Jack Stephens step closer to move to Fulham

PLYMOUTH Argyle's 17-year-old prospect Jack Stephens has taken a step closer to completing a move to Fulham.

Stephens and his father, Paul, were in south-west London yesterday to see for themselves the set-up at the Premier League club.

Fulham have agreed to pay an initial £125,000 for the former Torpoint Community College student, who can play at right-back or in midfield.

Argyle could receive more money in the future, depending on the number of first team appearances Stephens makes or whether he gets an international call-up.

Stephens is in only his first year as an Argyle apprentice but he has already played six times for the senior side.

He made his debut, aged 16, as a substitute in the closing stages of the 3-2 win against Sheffield Wednesday at Home Park in September.

Fulham can complete the signing of Stephens now, rather than waiting until the transfer window reopens in the summer, because he is not a professional.

The Premier League club have carried out the negotiations with Argyle's acting chairman and chief executive Peter Ridsdale.

Football agent Jamie Hart, the son of Swindon Town boss Paul Hart, has also been involved.

He is acting as an independent advisor to Argyle's lead administrator Brenda Guilfoyle on any deals for players.

Debt-ridden Argyle are in a desperate financial position, with no cash to pay either their players or office staff.

So Fulham's offer for Stephens would bring some much-needed money into the club.

There is also the possibility Argyle might have to accept offers for two of their other talented young players – defender Curtis Nelson and striker Joe Mason – unless a potential bidder for the Pilgrims provides funding.

The deadline for Football League clubs to make 'emergency loan' signings is 5pm on Thursday.

So clubs outside the Premier League could do deals for Mason or Nelson on that basis, before completing permanent transfers in the summer.

Mason, 19, turned down the chance to sign for Argyle's League One rivals Swindon in January.

The form of 17-year-old Nelson has been a revelation this season and Premier League clubs have started to take note.

Meanwhile, Argyle striker Rory Fallon has pulled out of New Zealand's squad for a friendly away to China on Friday.

Fallon has a groin strain and that means he will not be making the trip to the Far East.

Blackburn Rovers centre-back Ryan Nelsen, the All Whites' captain, has also been ruled out by a knee injury.

That is a double blow for New Zealand head coach Ricki Herbert.

He said: "The confidence, leadership and experience Ryan and Rory bring is a loss.

"However, as always, it gives other players an opportunity to impress."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/03/22/fulham-boss-hoping-for-sidwell-boost-82029-28381196/?

Fulham boss hoping for Sidwell boost

MARK Hughes hopes Steve Sidwell will be available for next week's clash with Blackpool.

The Fulham midfielder has been sidelined for the past month with a knee injury, but is due to return to training this week.

And boss Hughes reckons the 28-year-old will continue where he left off after a bright start to his Craven Cottage career.

He said: "Steve's going to need a number of sessions to get back to that level but he's a fit guy.

"We don't anticipate he'll lose too much fitness during the time he's been out, so hopefully we can get him back very quickly.

"He's done well since he's come here and it would be good to have him as an option again."

Meanwhile, Philippe Senderos was also expected to return to training at Motspur Park this week after a hamstring problem.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/03/22/fulham-boss-hoping-for-sidwell-boost-82029-28381196/?#ixzz1HKqrvGcC

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/InternationalWeek.aspx?

Fulham Internationals

With a whole host of international fixtures taking place all over the world this week, a number of Fulham's First Team squad are involved in international action over the next seven days.

Here's a breakdown of the players taking part in Continental Qualifiers and friendly matches:

Chris Baird and Aaron Hughes / Northern Ireland              
Opposition   Venue   Competition   Match
Serbia    Belgrade    Continental Qualifier    Friday
Slovenia    Belfast    Continental Qualifier    Tuesday

Damien Duff and Stephen Kelly / Republic of Ireland              
FYR Macedonia    Dublin    Continental Qualifier    Saturday
Uruguay    Dublin    Friendly    Tuesday

Mark Schwarzer / Australia              
Germany    Monchengladbach    Friendly    Tuesday

Brede Hangeland / Norway              
Denmark    Oslo    Continental Qualifier    Saturday

Clint Dempsey / USA              
Argentina    New York    Friendly    Saturday
Paraguay    Nashville    Friendly    Tuesday

Zoltan Gera / Hungary              
Netherlands    Budapest    Continental Qualifier    Friday
Netherlands    Amsterdam    Continental Qualifier    Tuesday

Carlos Salcido / Mexico              
Paraguay    Oakland    Friendly    Saturday
Venezuela    San Diego    Friendly    Tuesday

John Pantsil / Ghana              
Congo    Brazzaville    Continental Qualifier    Saturday
England    Wembley    Friendly    Tuesday

Mousa Dembele / Belgium              
Austria    Vienna    Continental Qualifier    Friday
Azerbaijan    Brussels    Continental Qualifier    Tuesday

Gael Kakuta / France U21              
Peru    Lima    Friendly    Wednesday
Peru    Chucha    Friendly    Friday

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/InternationalWeek.aspx?#ixzz1HKrEisEz

WhiteJC

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,14320_6829671,00.html?

KG: Bafana in better shape

Kagisho Dikgacoi believes Bafana Bafana's physical state will ensure they down Egypt at Ellis Park on Saturday.

South Africa tackle the Pharaohs in an intriguing 2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier as the leaders of Group G, while the continent's giants are at the bottom of the standings.

"I spoke to Kermit Erasmus after he came back from Egypt with SuperSport United (where they lost 2-0 to Al Ahly) and he told me the Egyptians are technically sound but he said physically they are not in the best of shapes since their league was on recess recently due to the troubles (political unrest) in their country," said the midfielder.

"But most of the Bafana players have been playing week in and week out so we can outclass them especially on the physical side of the game."

Dikgacoi had his own physical worries in recent times as he battled for game time at English Premier League club Fulham, but he feels he is in tip-top condition after joining Championship side Crystal Palace two months ago.

He added: "I have been playing week in and week out at Palace. I think we have played about six matches and in five I have played for 90 minutes and the other game I came on in the 75th minute.

"So physically I'm up to the standard. I have always wanted to be part of the national team but it couldn't help me or the country if I was not playing at club level but now I'm ready. I will add value to the team because I'm match fit.

"I have been playing as a box-to-box midfielder at Palace and I have really been enjoying the role. It is one of my best positions and I hope I can do the same for the country," Dikgacoi concluded.

WhiteJC

http://www.kickoff.com/news/20864/kagisho-dikgacoi-confident-of-beating-egypt.php

KG: Erasmus told me about Egypt's weakness

Kagisho Dikgacoi says after a conversation with Kermit Erasmus he has identified a weakness in Egypt's team that Bafana Bafana can exploit on Saturday.

Erasmus, who is in the Bafana squad preparing for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier, was in SuperSport United's team that lost 2-0 to Al Ahly in a CAF Champions League match this past Friday.

He told Dikgacoi that the Pharaohs, at least those in the Al Ahly team, are not at their best physically after their League was halted due to the political unrest in the North African after president Hosni Mubarak was forced from power.

Egypt's average age is 28 while Bafana's average age is 25, and Dikgacoi says the Pharaohs will probably run out of breath as they are not in tip-top condition at the moment.

"I had a chat with Kermit and he said technically they are sound; they are good. But he told me that physically they are not that good because of the troubles in their country," KG says.

"But most of the Bafana players have been playing week in and week out and that will be an advantage on our side. I think we will outclass them especially on the physical side of the game."

Meanwhile, the former Golden Arrows midfielder is enjoying his football and being "match fit" as he is a regular at English Championship side Crystal Palace after months of warming the bench at Premiership outfit Fulham.

"Ever since I got to Palace [in February] I have been playing week in and week out. I have played six games; five was for 90 minutes and the other one I came out in the 75th minute. So far, so good and I'm enjoying myself. My fitness level is up to standard. I'm match fit and I will add value to the team," Dikgacoi concluded.   

Tiyani wa ka Mabasa