Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (25.03.11)

Started by White Noise, March 25, 2011, 06:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Mark Hughes: Wales have to just go for it against England

Published 23:01 24/03/11

By Neil McLeman

Mark Hughes has urged his countrymen to "have a go" at England tomorrow and create another piece of history.

The Fulham boss was the last Welshman to score a winning goal against the English - on his Wales debut - in Wrexham back in 1984.

And although the former Manchester United and Chelsea forward admits the loss of Gareth Bale is a "huge blow" to Wales' hopes of an upset in the Euro 2012 qualifier, he said Gary Speed's team must not change their aggressive tactics.

"You have got to commit to it," said Hughes. "I don't think they can just get people behind the ball and soak up pressure, because of the quality of the England team.

"Unless you are working day in day out on position-work and shape, it is very difficult to come together as a group and get that organised quickly to repel a lot of pressure from a quality team. They have just got to be positive and go for it. There is nothing to lose.

"Unfortunately, because of the start Wales have made in the group, the likelihood of qualifying has gone, so they might as well just go out there and face up to England and really have a go.

"The plan was to play Bale on the left and Craig Bellamy on the right. Losing Gareth is a huge blow because a lot of the guys would have been looking for him to take the lead and enable them to get up the pitch. That option is now not there for them.

"Craig much prefers to play on the left, so I would think the natural thing would be to put him in Gareth's position and look for someone else on the right."

Hughes, who coached Wales from 1999 to 2004, reckons Speed, his former skipper, will put the passion back into the Dragons.

"Gary is a great guy, a really great captain and a good team-mate," said the 47-year-old. "You get the feeling from the players that they are very much on board with him.

"He has brought it back to where it had possibly got to when I was there, in terms of professionalism. Maybe that had slipped before.

"I think he will have the goodwill of the nation as well. We have trodden water for a while, so hopefully everyone will get back on board and there is a journey to be made.

"We had some great times when I was there. It will be a full house against England. But for eight years we used to have that every game, so let's hope we can get back to that."

Hughes scored the first of his 16 international goals against England in a fine Wales team also including Ian Rush, Neville Southall and Kevin Radcliffe.

"It was a long time ago," recalled the ex-striker, who won 72 caps. "It was my debut in my home town. I scored the winning goal, so debuts don't go too much better than that.

"Mike Duxberry - a Manchester United team-mate of mine at the time - was marking me. I think he ducked and let the ball come over his head!

"I was very fortunate, because on most of my debuts I scored a goal. My first-team debut for United I scored and then on my international debut, and for Bayern Munich.

"It was a huge moment in my career because it made a lot of people sit up and take notice. As a young player, that is what you have got to do when you have got an opportunity.

"We were just a very committed team and a very energetic team. We were no mugs in those days, so we knew we could go against decent sides and give a good account of ourselves.

"But I am really excited by the group of players Wales have at the moment and I think they have a good future."

Instead of his own first Wales shirt, Hughes has kept the jersey of an Englishman making his own international debut that day.

"I remember I swapped shirts at the end of the game and we only got one shirt then, so I have Mark Wright's shirt from my debut but haven't got my own," he smiled. "I saw Mark at a testimonial once and I asked for it, but I haven't got it back yet!"

That 1984 match was the last year of the old Home Internationals, which allowed Wales a crack at England every year.

Hughes reckons the rarity of the cross-border meetings has not diminished the rivalry. Not on his side of the border, anyway.

"It is still important to beat England," he stated. "Whenever Welsh teams go up against English teams, there is significance to it, probably more so from a Welsh point of view, like the other Celt nations, than for the English, who probably regard it as an irritant they would rather avoid.

"It doesn't happen as much as it used to. When I was playing, you were guaranteed one game against England every year.

"After I made my debut, there was a gap of 10 or 12 years before we played them again. So when they come around, they are even more special."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wales-Mark-Hughes-has-urged-his-countrymen-to-have-a-go-at-England-in-Cardiff-and-create-their-own-piece-of-history-article716856.html#ixzz1HaZ5wArm

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6832606,00.html

Sidwell targets Blackpool game

Midfielder ready to resume full training after knee injury

Last updated: 24th March 2011   

Sidwell: Keen to face Blackpool

Steve Sidwell is hoping to make his return from a knee injury in Fulham's first game after the international break against Blackpool.

The midfielder has missed Fulham's last three matches with the problem and is due to return to full training next Monday.

The January signing from Aston Villa is aiming to build up his fitness in time to be available for Blackpool's visit to Craven Cottage on Sunday 3rd April.

"We've got Blackpool coming up the weekend after next so I've had a bit of training this week, then I'll be in full training on Monday," Sidwell told the club's official website.

Frustrating

"I can get a week's full training in before the game.

"It's been a frustrating four weeks for me but I needed that time to recover."

He added of his injury: "I twisted in a funny way during our training camp in Portugal.

"It's just one of those freak things that happens but, luckily, it wasn't too serious.

"The medical team here have been brilliant, the rehab has been superb and they got me back fit as soon as they could.

"I feel good now, I'm just picking up my fitness. But I wanted to come back this week so I could get a full week done next week."

White Noise

http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk/2011/03/bolton-wanderers-fulham-show-interest-in-5m-spaniard

Bolton Wanderers, Fulham show interest in £5m Spaniard

Published on March 24, 2011

by Matthew Wood   

Bolton Wanderers and Fulham are chasing Real Mallorca defender Ivan Ramis, according to the Spanish press.

Marca claims that both Bolton and Fulham have watched Ramis in action for Mallorca and would consider a deal for the 26-year-old at the end of the season.

Mallorca reportedly value Ramis at £8m but are willing to accept offers as low as £5m as the club looks to balance the books.

With interest high in Bolton's Gary Cahill, manager Owen Coyle could see Ramis as an ideal replacement.

White Noise

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/football/news/article/-/9076146/sidwell-warns-fulham-against-table-complacency/

Sidwell warns Fulham against table complacency

tribalfootball.com

March 25, 2011, 5:05 pm

Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell admits they must be wary of their points tally.

Sidwell concedes they could still be sucked into the relegation battle.

"You look at the table and we're lying in a comfortable position but when you look at the points, it's unreal," Sidwell told fulhamfc.com. "I've never seen anything like it before. It means a lot when you come in after a hard-fought game and you look at the league table and see how everyone got on. It's the final run-in now so we've got to kick on and pick up as many points as we can.

"Back-to-back wins in this league are massive because so many teams are inconsistent at the moment. If you can string two wins together it really shoots you up the table. We really want to get the points on the board as early as we can - you don't want to go into the final few games looking for points because that's when it starts getting hard."

White Noise

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/serbia-v-northern-ireland-hughes-hoping-it-will-be-a-lucky-13th-15125550.html

Serbia v Northern Ireland: Hughes hoping it will be a lucky 13th

By Steven Beacom

Friday, 25 March 2011

Serbia v Northern Ireland: Hughes hoping it will be a lucky 13th

It was 13 years ago today. Aaron Hughes stepped on to Windsor Park ready to make his international debut.

The appearance of the teenager from Cookstown was somewhat overshadowed though by another man starting his Northern Ireland career — Lawrie McMenemy.

You may recall that the former Southampton boss took over when Bryan Hamilton was dumped by the Irish FA.

Our own legendary goalkeeper Pat Jennings and ex-Scottish striker Joe Jordan, back in the news recently thanks to Gennaro Gattuso losing his head and planting it on the Spurs coach, made up the "dream team".

More of a nightmare really, with poor results and player unrest, dominating McMenemy's time in charge.

He did win that first game though, beating Slovakia 1-0 in Belfast, and we should be thankful to Lawrie for introducing Hughes to the international arena, where he has excelled ever since.

For the record Aaron, then just 18, enjoyed a steady debut and has been delivering solid performances ever since, on his way to 75 caps.

Understated and modest to a fault, Hughes is one of those players you don't notice too much during a match, as he gets on with his job efficiently and effectively.

It's when he's not there, such as during last month's 3-0 defeat to Scotland in Dublin, that the Fulham defender's importance to the side is truly realised.

Hughes brings a sense of control and an ability to read the game, honed by playing at the top level of English football since way back in November 1997, when he became Newcastle United's youngest debutant in Europe, in of all places the Nou Camp.

From Barcelona to Belgrade, where Hughes will face Serbia in tonight's vital European Championship qualifier, it's been quite a journey for the 31-year-old.

But something has been missing that he's desperate to put right — playing in the finals of a major championship.

"I want to get to a major championship more than anything and hopefully it will be this time," said Hughes on the eve of tonight's important Group C game with Serbia.

"Italy may be favourites in our group but I do believe we have as good a chance as anyone. We are right in the mix. We have vital games coming up against Serbia and then at home to Slovenia on Tuesday and we will know more where we stand after that.

"Serbia are a really good side, but if we can produce the performance that we gave to win in Slovenia at the start of the campaign, we can get something from the game."

If Hughes was surprised by manager Nigel Worthington's shock team selection for the Serbian game, he wasn't showing it in yesterday's press conference.

For a change he won't be playing alongside his old buddy Stephen Craigan at the heart of defence — a partnership which has blossomed in the past four campaigns.

"Stephen has every right to be disappointed, but he's a profes

sional and has accepted it," explained Hughes, who will pair up with Gareth McAuley tonight, two graduates of the Lisburn Youth team.

On the manager's selection, the former Aston Villa ace said: "Why not, he's got confidence in the young players and there is a good mix of experience and youth in there. We have players who know about playing away from home in international football and we have players with lots of energy.

"Personally I have no worries whatsoever about anyone in the side. We have trained well this week with the right attitude and a good tempo and now we are ready to go."

And that includes baby-faced wide midfielder Johnny Gorman from Wolves.

Hughes added: "Johnny came on in the Slovenia game and did very well at a time when we were under pressure.

"He may not have the experience but the flip side is that he has youth on his side and will have plenty of energy."

Just like Hughes 13 years ago.

"I don't really remember that first game. I do recall that we played in the red and white kit, but not much else bar the celebrations after we scored."

Hughes is happy that Craven Cottage club mate Chris Baird, on the occasion of his 50th cap, takes the armband tonight.

Aaron will resume captaincy duties when Slovenia are in Belfast.

Behind closed doors games
Juventus v Lecce: Manchester City star Mario Balotelli, when with Inter Milan in 2009, was subjected to racial abuse from Juventus fans during a Serie A game, prompting the football authorities to order the Turin club to play a match behind closed doors. It was decided that a Serie A match with Lecce would not be open to fans. The Italian Football Federation described the abuse suffered by Balotelli as "deplorable."

Dinamo Zagreb v Ajax: Dinamo Zagreb played Ajax behind closed doors in the 2009-10 Europa League as a result of a Uefa ban imposed due to the behaviour of their supporters in a match at Romanian side Timisoara. Uefa also deducted three points from the Croatian club. On appeal, the three point deduction was replaced with a €75,000 fine and a three-year suspended ban from European competition.

Atalanta v AC Milan: Atalanta played AC Milan behind closed doors after the original match in 2007 was abandoned due to crowd trouble. The match was halted after just seven minutes when some Atalanta fans tried to break through the perimeter fence. Supporters had also clashed with police before kick-off.

Mexico: In Mexico's top flight in 2009, teams had to play the penultimate round of league games behind closed doors due to a swine flu outbreak. Games taking place in areas which were particularly badly affected by the outbreak were also played behind closed doors the following week.

Dinamo Bucuresti v Slovan Liberec: Romanian club Dinamo Bucuresti were forced to play two European games behind closed doors as a result of their match against Czech side Slovan Liberec in August 2009 being abandoned with a couple of minutes still remaining due to a pitch invasion by home supporters with the visitors 2-0 ahead. Uefa awarded Liberec a 3-0 win but Dinamo went through on penalties after a 3-0 away victory.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/serbia-v-northern-ireland-hughes-hoping-it-will-be-a-lucky-13th-15125550.html#ixzz1HaezrCtF

White Noise

Baird's Honour

Thursday 24th March 2011

Fulham's Chris Baird will win his 50th international cap on Friday night and will mark the occasion by leading Northern Ireland out as captain.

Having made his international debut against Italy in 2003, the 29-year-old has become a mainstay for his country and, just like he has done with the Whites, has impressed in both defence and midfield.

In an exclusive in-depth interview, prior the current to the international break, Baird spoke exclusively to the Club's official magazine Fultime, and shed light on what has been a testing four seasons at Fulham and his pride in representing his country.

"It means everything to me to be playing for my country," he revealed. "It was an honour and a privilege to be called up for the first time all those years ago and it's still the same for me now.

"To be part of trying to qualify for big competitions and lining up against the best players in the world has been a wonderful experience, especially being part of famous victories over England and Spain.

"It goes without saying that I would love to be part of a side that does reach a major finals because it's been a long time since that happened. In fact, it will be some 30 years next year.

"We've started the 2012 European Championship relatively well, and I like to think that we have a chance. We're unbeaten in the three games that we have played but the next two against Serbia and Slovenia respectively are big, big games for us.

"Group C is tough, especially when you throw Italy into the mix as well, but we have to be confident. As a nation we have never actually qualified for a European Championship, but hopefully we can put that right – it's definitely about time.

"People like to talk about the luck of the Irish, but we've had none of it!"

At present, Baird is certainly enjoying his football after experiencing a mixed first two seasons at Craven Cottage. Having been in and out of the squad, he has established himself as a player of significance and played out what was arguably his finest season as a professional last term.

"I went through a difficult period, I can't deny that," admitted Chris. "I wasn't playing and that was hard because that's what it's all about isn't it? There was a time when I could go weeks, sometimes months without playing for the First Team – it was a lonely time.

"But there were and are others going through similar experiences – it is just part of football. For me, it's all about how a player reacts though. You can do one of two things: you can let your head drop and sulk, or just get on with it. I chose the latter. I worked hard, gave my all whenever the opportunity arose, and thankfully I've taken it.

"At times it has been tough, but the past year-and-a-half hasn't worked out too badly for me. Last year was probably my best in football, but I reckon quite a few here would say that. It was a good season for everyone associated with the Club wasn't it?"

To read more of Chris' honest and insightful story, as well as in-depth interviews with Manager Mark Hughes and Fulham favourite Simon Davies, as well as a variety of content including the Top 10 Fulham Premier League goals as voted for by you, be sure to pick up your copy of Issue 34 of Fultime magazine, available online and in the Club shops next week.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/BairdCaptainNI.aspx#ixzz1HXbtjRzT

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/northampton_town/9435323.stm

Northampton sign former Fulham striker Michael Uwezu 

Northampton Town have signed former Arsenal, Fulham and Lincoln City striker Michael Uwezu.

The 20-year-old Nigerian, who was without a club after a spell at Dulwich Hamlet, scored 11 goals in 18 games for the Cottagers Under-18 team in 2008/09.

"Michael is quick, tenacious and a real pain for defenders to play against," Cobblers manager Gary Johnson told the club's website.

"He has been training with us this week and has impressed."

Uwezu, who started his career at Arsenal but signed his first professional contract with Fulham, spent a loan spell at Lincoln City last season.

"Michael first came to my attention when he was in the reserves at Fulham," continued Johnson. "I was aware of him when I was at Peterborough.

"He was offered a contract to go and play in Holland, but he turned that down to come and join us for the rest of this season to try and earn a contract for next season.

"He has got a terrific work ethic."

The striker will not be available for Northampton Town's match against Torquay United on Saturday, because the deadline for registration for that match passed at noon on Thursday, but he could feature against Accrington Stanley on Saturday, 2 April.

White Noise

Simon's Six

Thursday 24th March 2011

Ahead of this weekend's international fixture between England and Wales, Fulham midfielder Simon Davies spoke to several pupils at a school in Wrexham as part of a BBC mentoring programme. The former Welsh international spoke on a variety of topics including his thoughts on this weekend's clash at the Millennium Stadium.

If you weren't a footballer:

"As far back as I can remember I was always kicking a ball around with my brothers in the garden.

"It was just football all the time and I have no idea what I'd be doing if I wasn't a footballer now. It's a dream I was lucky enough to realise."

Simon's footballing hero growing up:

"My idol was Ryan Giggs. He is such a legend and my family are all Manchester United supporters as well.

"Him being Welsh made him a massive hero of mine and I was lucky enough to go on to play with him for Wales, which was amazing for me personally. He's one of the best players I have ever seen."

The very best players he's faced:

"It's hard to pick one out. I've played against a lot of difficult players in different positions over the years. When I've played out on right midfield it's probably been Ashley Cole. He always makes you defend deep so it's difficult to attack him. He almost plays like a winger against you.

"When I've played more centrally, Paul Scholes is an absolutely amazing player. His range of passing is so dangerous and you've always got to be tight with him. Also Patrick Vieira's athleticism was unbelievable. He was so hard to get control of. I would say those three players have been the most difficult to play against over the years."

An advocate of goal-line technology:

"I think it's time for it to come in now. So much rides on football games now and there's so much money involved. Careers are defined by results that can go right or wrong. When it's something as simple as whether it's a goal or not, that directly affects the result, I think it's definitely time to introduce it."

Representing his country:

"It was always something I wanted to do right from the morning. Representing your country is one of the biggest honours you can have. I was lucky enough to play for 10 years for my country and I loved every minute of it. Some of the best moments of my career were playing for Wales."

A prediction for this weekend's international game between Wales and England:

"It's going to be a really difficult game because England are one of the top sides in the world. But with a packed Millennium Stadium behind the team, I think if we can start the game well and get the crowd behind us and attack England, then it will be a tight game.

"I imagine it will not be like a typical international game that can be of a slow pace. I think it will be fast and furious like an English game. I think we've got every chance. We've got some really exciting young players in the team with lots of pace."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/SimonsSix.aspx#ixzz1HWvfLMnD

White Noise

http://www.teamtalk.com/republic-of-ireland/6832586/Republic-boosted-as-Duff-trains

Republic boosted as Duff trains

Thursday 24th March 2011 12:42

Duff: Trained on Thursday

Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni was handed a boost on Thursday when Fulham midfielder Damien Duff was able to train.

The Cottagers winger sat out the first two days of preparations for Saturday night's Euro 2012 qualifier against Macedonia with an Achilles problem, but was able to join in with his team-mates at Malahide on Thursday morning.

However, defenders Sean St Ledger and Seamus Coleman were missing once again with knee and ankle injuries respectively.

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/6116/3/real-madrids-canales-reveals-premier-league-snub

Real Madrid's Canales reveals Premier League snub

By Alex Prior

Thursday, March 24

Real Madrid's talented youngster Sergio Canales has revealed he snubbed an offer from the Premier League in January to prove himself at the Bernabeu.

The 20-year-old prodigy is regarded as the next big thing in La Liga, and has reportedly turned the heads of West Ham, Liverpool and Fulham.

The attacking midfielder has made only seven league appearances under manager Jose Mourinho since his summer move from Racing Santander, but the Spanish U21 international is determined to prove he can cut it with the Galacticos.

"During January I had options to move to England but Mourinho and the club have placed trust in me," Canales told Spanish newspaper Marca.

"I don't regret moving to Real Madrid and I knew that this first year would be difficult. It's not great when I'm not in the squad but I want to demonstrate what I can do."

White Noise

http://fulham.theoffside.com/zoltan-gera/international-duty.html

International Duty

By: Sam | March 24th, 2011

Euro 2012 qualification games this Friday and Saturday. For a few Fulham players it will mean an international call-up. Here's a quick round-up of the players and the countries they'll be representing.

Friday:

Austria v Belgium (Group A)
- Moussa Dembele
A win for Belgium will greatly help their chances of qualifying for Euro 2012. Currently 4th with 4 points, they have to beat 2nd placed Austria away if they're going to qualify. No pressure.

Serbia v Northern Ireland (Group C)
- Aaron Hughes
- Chris Baird
Under Sanchez's management Fulham and Northern Ireland almost had the same starting 11. Two managers later, two remain. It's the 50th cap for Bairdinho and to mark the occassion, he'll be given the captains armband.

Saturday:

Hungary v Netherlands (Group E)
- Zoltan Gera
The Dutch are unbeaten and will no doubt top the group while Hungary look on route to qualify in second place. But with Sweden 3 points behind and a game in hand, Hungary must get a draw from this one to stay in contention for second place.

Republic of Ireland v Macedonia (Group B)
- Damien Duff
- Stephen Kelly
For this qualifying group, Ireland's last outing at home was a rather disappointing 3-2 defeat to a rather brilliant Russia. The group is shaping up to be pretty tight. Ireland, Armenia and Slovakia are all on 7 points – Russia top by a single point. Ireland have no choice but to win.

Norway v Denmark (Group H)
- Brede Hangeland
- Bjorn Helge Riise
Three games and three wins for Norway mean they're looking good to qualify. Jonathan Wilson discusses the Norway manager Egil Olsen in an article for betfair. To round off this post, there's a link to Fulham in the article:

Olsen, who had won 16 caps in his playing career, became a lecturer at the Norwegian University of Sport and Physical Education. In 1981, he dissected the fabled coaching course outlined by the FA's technical director Alllen Wade in 1968. That was a huge influence over the likes of Don Howe and Roy Hodgson, setting out the principles of pragmatic football and explaining how to coach them in game-related drills.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8405053/Fulham-face-a-huge-dilemma-over-whether-to-renew-manager-Mark-Hughess-contract.html#

Fulham face a huge dilemma over whether to renew manager Mark Hughes's contract

Fulham have been set a dilemma. The club know that manager Mark Hughes could well be in demand this summer — and not least because it has emerged that his contract is only a one-year deal with an option for another year rather than the two-year contract that everyone thought he had signed when his arrival was announced last August.

Will he stay or go? There is no guarantee that Mark Hughes will be with Fulham next season Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Jason Burt 6:50AM GMT 25 Mar 2011

It means that Hughes could, if he wished, although there is no sign that he does, leave without any compensation being paid. Certainly Bayern Munich have being checking out his contract situation, having identified Hughes as one of three candidates to succeed Louis van Gaal. The Welshman has said he is flattered by the interest although the likelihood seems that Bayern with go for the safer option of approaching Bayer Leverkusen's Jupp Heynckes.

A more likely scenario is that Aston Villa may again consider Hughes if they decide on a change of management. He has certainly been discussed before, prior to Gerard Houllier's appointment, and despite the claims that the club's board are fully behind the Frenchman, that may change if the present struggles continue.

Would Hughes go to Villa? Possibly. It leaves Fulham with a decision to make and that decision is clouded by the fact that the club is, although sitting in 12th place in the Premier League, still just three points clear of the relegation zone. If Fulham did go down would they want Hughes as manager anyway?

It means that any talks on a new contract may have to wait, but if Fulham wait they increase the risk of someone else poaching Hughes. Beyond that the club may well have to convince the manager that they will back him in the transfer market this summer.

It appears the squad is in need of an overhaul and there is talk of a £20million budget which would undoubtedly help tell Hughes his future lies at Craven Cottage.

White Noise

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/sport/STEPHENS-SAYS-FULHAM/article-3372562-detail/article.html

Jack Stephens turns down chance to sign for Premier League club Fulham

PLYMOUTH Argyle's 17-year-old prospect Jack Stephens has turned down the chance of signing for Premier League club Fulham.

Stephens has told Pilgrims' boss Peter Reid that he wants to continue learning his trade at Home Park.

Fulham had agreed to pay £125,000 for the former Torpoint Community College student.

More money would have followed, depending on the number of first team appearances made by Stephens and any international call-up.

Stephens and his father, Paul, returned from a four-day visit to Fulham's Motspur Park training ground and academy earlier this week.

But the talented teenager, who can play at right-back or in midfield, has decided to stay put.

Reid told The Herald: "Jack has turned down Fulham.

"He told me it was a superb set-up there and he had enjoyed having a look around, but he wanted to stay at Argyle and carry on his football education with us."

Argyle's lead administrator, Brendan Guilfoyle, had been hoping the sale of Stephens would have raised much-needed funds. It would have assisted with the day-to-day running of the financially-stricken club while Guilfoyle tries to find a buyer.

Guilfoyle was keen to point out, though, that no pressure had been put on Stephens to agree to sign for Fulham.

Guilfoyle told The Herald: "You have got to remember he's a young kid, but we need funding so I'm disappointed.

"I'm exploring all avenues open to me but, at the moment, they aren't coming off."

Guilfoyle added he thought there was still interest from other clubs in the 17-year-old.

Stephens is a first-year apprentice but has already made six appearances for Argyle's senior side, including three starts.

He is the second young Pilgrims' prospect to decide against leaving the cash-strapped club this year.

Argyle agreed a £300,000 transfer fee with League One rivals Swindon Town for 19-year-old striker Joe Mason in January, as they desperately tried to raise money to pay off tax debts.

But Mason opted to remain at Home Park, rather than sign for Swindon.

Bottom-of-the-table Argyle are not in action tomorrow, following the postponement of their game against Southampton at Home Park.

The fixture has been switched to Bank Holiday Monday, May 2 after the Pilgrims had three of their players called up for international duty this weekend.

However, the trio of Onismor Bhasera (Zimbabwe), Rory Fallon (New Zealand) and Mason (Republic of Ireland under-21s) have subsequently dropped out of their respective squads because of injuries.

Argyle are seven points from a position of safety, with eight games to go this season, following Dagenham and Redbridge's 1-1 draw away to Leyton Orient on Tuesday.

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/03/25/john-pantsil-set-for-fulham-exit-64767-28397872/

Fulham boss set to axe six players in summer clear-out

By Jacob Murtagh

Mar 25 2011

JOHN Pantsil is one of SIX players facing the axe as part of Mark Hughes's summer clear-out.

The Fulham full-back is out of contract at the end of the season along with fellow benchwarmer Zoltan Gera, and strike duo Eddie Johnson and Diomansy Kamara, who have both been shipped out on loan.

Utility man Chris Baird has been preferred to Pantsil at right-back, while Gera is way down the pecking order at Craven Cottage, and has been linked with a move abroad when his deal expires.

Mark Hughes has handed fresh contracts to seven members of his squad since taking charge last summer, but revealed any further negotiations won't take place until May, casting major doubt on the quartet's future in SW6.

Also under threat are midfielders Bjorn Helge Riise and Kagisho Dikgacoi, who have made just four appearances between them under the Fulham boss before joining Sheffield United and Crystal Palace respectively on loan last month.

Hughes said: "Planning goes on every day of the week in terms of preparing for pre-season tours, players I possibly need to see etc.

"We will try and look at every situation but any more contract negotiations will be left until the end of the year."

White Noise

http://www.dunstabletoday.co.uk/sport/football/local-football/cottagers_capture_cauley_1_2538967

Cottagers capture Cauley

Published on Friday 25 March 2011 17:24

HOSTHOT Hatters starlet Cauley Woodrow has joined Premiership Fulham for an undisclosed six-figure sum.

The 16-year-old England U17 international may have only figured three times for Luton's first team, but that exposure has made it impossible for Town to keep hold of him.

The deal is the most the club have recouped since Luton 2020 took charge and could rise to over £1million.

Managing director Gary Sweet said: "It was inevitable, during this period, that we would find it difficult to keep hold of a player who is a full England international.

"Cauley's development since he has been with us has been astonishing and credit goes to Cauley and all those the coaching staff who have made him the player that saw Fulham warrant to pay a substantial amount of money for his talents.

"We have no alternative but to look at the bigger picture and there is no doubt that whilst we are selling a talented player this transfer further protects us the existing quality of our players in our centre of excellence which is beneficial for the long term future of our football club.

"Whilst we're saddened to see Cauley leave, we are happy with the deal which could rise to seven figures, depending on Cauley's success and which also provides us with a very healthy sell-on clause should Cauley's career take him away from Fulham."

The deal could go on to be the highest ever received by a non-league club.

Youth development officer Gregg Broughton said: "Although we are disappointed to lose a player of Cauley's calibre, this move is one that will benefit Cauley, the club and all the young players in the centre of excellence.

"Money generated from this move will not only allow us to reinvest the funds for a category 2 academy status under the new Premier League ruling but, also, should the club be unable to achieve promotion this season, allow to safeguard the future of all our other young talents.

"Cauley came to us three years ago and during that time has been exceptional in everything he has done both on and off the pitch.

"His work ethic, attitude to training and ability to deal with the ups and downs during that period should act as an example to all of our other young players.

"It means we now have three players from this age group who are now plying their trade with Premier League clubs. Cauley joins David Moli at Liverpool and Lewis Baker at Chelsea.

"This is a record that our coaching and recruitment staff should be proud of and, although it is a shame none of these will feature in the youth team next season, it will give the rest of the year group a truly fantastic chance of fulfilling their potential."