News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Will the Jackson Folly get TV coverage tomorrow in the Oxbridge boat race..?

Started by LBNo11, March 25, 2011, 07:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...Mr Fayed loves a bit of publicity, and free publicity must be a great boon to such a showman, so will he instruct the Jackson folly to be covered to build up on the mystique - or will he let the cameras see the folly in all its glory - he must realise that a global audience will be viewing, and that the publicity that it would bring may help to promote the Cottage Tours?

If the chairman decides to have the statue covered presumably the TV stations will not linger on Craven Cottage and so we lose publicity?

I know - who gives a flying...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

mrska

Yeah i was thinking that Lb..  I usually love the point when the boats pass our ground..  now im kind of dreading it if the KING OF POP is stood mid moonwalk...  shamowwwwwn! :tom:

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

sipwell

No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

posh kids in boats-Am I the only one who is baffled why some people think this is a big deal?

sipwell

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on March 26, 2011, 09:54:35 AM
posh kids in boats-Am I the only one who is baffled why some people think this is a big deal?

For an outsider, it is THE definition of "Britishness":
- funny tradition kept intact (the boat race)
- participation of the institutions of the nation (the military commander bringing the trophy)
- physical excellence (Britannia rules the waves; the idea of military might)
- Britain as the commonwealth (rowers from all across the world)
- people getting drunk: reality

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on March 26, 2011, 09:54:35 AM

I'm at Oxford, and I don't care that much! Lots of toffs drafted in for their sporting prowess rather than their intellect, like in US college sports teams.

But for the sake of argument, 

SHOE THE TABS!
(Tab meaning Cambridge student, from the latin for Cambridge, Cantabularis... :55:)

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

I think that part of my bafflement regarding the boat race is that I'm a Northener, the boat race was always on TV but never watched,never talked about but we thought it was always there for other people(southerners).We never felt any connection to it at all but the TV was constently telling us that the boat race was a big deal :dft008:

sipwell

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on March 26, 2011, 11:27:38 AM
I think that part of my bafflement regarding the boat race is that I'm a Northener, the boat race was always on TV but never watched,never talked about but we thought it was always there for other people(southerners).We never felt any connection to it at all but the TV was constently telling us that the boat race was a big deal :dft008:

So you are implying that the continent is closer to "London" than the North? :)
Shocking! truly shocking! :D

TheDaddy

I had the misfortune to get married on boat race day i lived between Craven cottage and the Crabtree bang on the river ! stupid just stupid fancy getting married ! I hope the ex will be on the river walk wall cheering Oxford as usual and slips lets see how the boat crews manage a tidal wave !
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

FC Silver Fox

Having rowed that course many times (I used to row for Vesta Rowing Club at Putney), I know how hard it is both mentally and physically. I enjoyed watching it today.
  The Fulham pitch looked odd. There seemed to be large coloured shapes on it. The MJ statue didn't get a mention though.  Well done Oxford, a fine win.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

The Doctor

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on March 26, 2011, 05:42:39 PM
The Fulham pitch looked odd. There seemed to be large coloured shapes on it. The MJ statue didn't get a mention though.  Well done Oxford, a fine win.

I've just seen those on a replay.  I think they might have been lights that simulate sunlight in order to stimulate the growth of the grass.  Saw them stashed in a school car park after a game recently

sipwell

Great race and outstanding win by Oxford. I think there were indeed lights... No MJ though!

Fernhurst

Well I was quite pleased with the result.

I had £20 EW on Cambridge  :005:

ron

The telepics of Ranelagh Sailing Club were disappointing; I was rather hoping to see the buildings being destroyed by hurricane force winds that had developed and not been quietened by the slightly increased size of our proposed Riverside development ..........

Senior Supporter

It's a pity that Oxford won. It has always been clear to me that Oxford are the "Chelsea" and Cambridge are the "Fulham" in that fixture.   :dft012:   :hook:

epsomraver

Quote from: The Doctor on March 26, 2011, 05:48:08 PM

I've just seen those on a replay.  I think they might have been lights that simulate sunlight in order to stimulate the growth of the grass.  Saw them stashed in a school car park after a game recently

Those lights make my grass grow! :005:

Burt

Quote from: epsomraver on March 27, 2011, 11:37:17 AM
Quote from: The Doctor on March 26, 2011, 05:48:08 PM

Those lights make my grass grow! :005:

Lawn?
:dft002: