watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anyone Protesting The Statue On Sunday?

Started by White Noise, March 28, 2011, 12:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/holloway_excited_by_michael_jackson_statue_1_3228354

Holloway excited by Michael Jackson statue

Michael Jackson

Published on Monday 28 March 2011 12:44

POOL'S trip to Fulham on Sunday could be interesting in more ways than one – the home fans are staging a demonstration against owner Mohamed Al Fayed's statue of Michael Jackson outside the ground.

But while the idea has gone down like a lead balloon with many Fulham supporters, there is one man looking forward to it ... Ian Holloway.

In one of the more surreal developments of the season, Al Fayed announced his tribute to the late pop star, who was a personal friend, and the statue is set to be unveiled on Sunday.

But given that Jackson had nothing to do with the football club – though Al Fayed did invite him to watch a Second Division victory over Wigan in 1999 – it hasn't gone down well with all supporters.

Hundreds of fans have signed a protest petition and a demonstration is planned on Sunday. However, Holloway is looking forward to seeing the statue and may even take a photograph of it.

"I can't wait, because love or loathe him Jacko is one of those iconic figures," said the Pool boss, who likes his music.

"I know some fans are grumbling about the statue but I think it is terrific.

"He was a very special bloke and one of a handful of people I am proud to have been on the planet at the same time as.

"The Beatles, Elvis, Muhammad Ali... they are the great figures of our age. David Beckham will be one day too. They are icons.

"I've got a model of Ali at home, back when he was Cassius Clay, in that famous pose over a prostrate Sonny Liston. It's one of my most treasured possessions and if I could get one of Jackson, I would. In fact, when we go to Fulham I'll take a little hacksaw, smuggle the statue on the team bus and take it home with me.

"Mind you, what if it does go missing now? They will be straight round to my house. It's not me, Mr Fayed. I won't nick it, honest!"

Holloway would do well to smuggle it on to the coach unnoticed. The statue is six feet tall and will show Jackson with ammunition belts strapped across his chest and with what appear to be underpants over his trousers.

The pop icon will join Fulham Fifties footballing legend Johnny Haynes as the only two club "figures" immortalised at the stadium.

Fans have complained that Mr Fayed is using Craven Cottage as a "dumping ground for his weird statue", which will make Fulham a "laughing stock".

LBNo11

...what difference would it make if a couple of thousand, let alone a couple of hundred  of protestors make to change the decision of Fulham's billionaire benefactor?

I personally don't like the idea of thousands of people looking up to it in the same way that they do to the statue of Johnny Haynes, but that is just me.

One day Mr Fayed will not be here and his personal folly will disappear - probably as fast as the clubs funding...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Burt

Am I against the statue? Completely. It has nothing to do with the club, and to accord MJ the same honour as Johnny Haynes at the home of our club just doesn't stack up.

Will I be protesting against it? No. Its MAF's money, it's a done deal, and given all he has done for the club I don't want MAF to start developing a feeling that he might be better transfering his interest and funding to a more grateful audience.

The only shouting I will be doing on the day will be encouraging the whites to go grab all 3 points.

TonyGilroy

I shall be boycotting the match in protest at it being on Mothers Day.

My children have a mother and my going to football rather than being with them would cause me far more grief than it's worth.

My sacrifice will though be mentioned constantly and should earn ME, at least, some points on Sunday.

Can't believe there won't be many others unable or unwilling to go.

MAF can have as many statues as he likes as far as I'm concerned.

Peabody

Look, the statue is there and it aint going to go away, not immediatley anyway. I will pass it on the way to my seat in the Riverside and I will ignore it, as I am sure the majority will. Whereas, as I pass the JH statue, I will pay homage, as I always do. As far as I am concerned, the MJ statue is a nonentity, just like most of the catering units.

Scrumpy

Quote from: Burt on March 28, 2011, 01:19:14 PM
Am I against the statue? Completely. It has nothing to do with the club, and to accord MJ the same honour as Johnny Haynes at the home of our club just doesn't stack up.

Will I be protesting against it? No. Its MAF's money, it's a done deal, and given all he has done for the club I don't want MAF to start developing a feeling that he might be better transfering his interest and funding to a more grateful audience.

The only shouting I will be doing on the day will be encouraging the whites to go grab all 3 points.
:045: Me too, although I'm really not too bothered about the MJ statue. It really is hidden away around the back and doesn't diminish from the Maestro's statue. It's a bit like having your prize rose bush in the front garden, and the compost heap stuck behind a hedge round the back.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

MJG

No because first of all I'm in the putney end, secondly its stuck in a corner if the ground that I doubt 80% of the crowd ever see, thirdly on this occasion I can let MAF indulge himself on something which in the long run will not be there and its not going to effect the club....unless he gets abuse from fans and he decides forget em I'm off and I want my £200m back.

If he was doing something to endanger the club I would be there on the pitch protesting like I did years ago, but over this...no.

mrska

I may well walk past it and TUT rather loudly... :014: :014: :014: :dft007: :dft007: :dft007: :046: :046: :046:

AlFayedsChequebook

It is embarrassing that people feel the need to protest a statue.

King_Crud

i will moonwalk past it whilst frowning my anger

richie17

has it been built already?

It's our first mother's day so more than my life's worth to go to the game.  Interestingly though a few people wanted my ticket, which is rare for Fulham games.  Blackpool certainly seem to have caught the imagination.

ron

Amazing how many things get reported around the beginning of April.

Mr Fulham

Logicalman

Hopefully they'll still be protesting outside when the final whistle goes and miss us getting another 3 points - that's about how pointless it is to protest about such a non-event.

Perhaps those protesting could have a whip-round and buy MaF out  :012:

Tktd

When he had millions in cash he ploughed a vast amount of his fortune into our club.

He's now a billionaire.

Money aside he's worked miracles at this club and has always acted with the club best interests at heart.

Now whether you like it or not, it'll be in the corner of the stand where only Riverside ticket holders will only have to see every week unless hammy end fans make the effort and tbh the man could've done a lot worse and had a lot fewer legitimate reasons for doing so.

I'm a big fan of michael jacksons music, the club and the owner and what he's done for the place and see no reason to protest.

finnster01

Lets put up a statue of John Terry as well, he is probably a bigger Fulham fan than MJ ever was

To put it partially in the words of the Waterboys: "And Old Fulham is dying..."
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead