more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What a load of tosh

Started by finnster01, March 31, 2011, 03:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9441854.stm

It is not the number of Black/yellow/blue managers that is the problem in the league. It is the lack of ENGLISH managers that is the issue. Gordon Taylor, you are a complete twit. We need ENGLISH managers
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

AlFayedsChequebook

I think that is the idea though, there are plenty of black non-english managers but not many black english managers.

It strikes me that the current dearth of black managers is more down to the fact that black players only became prevalent in the 1980s and that with more and more black players in the league, more managers will naturally come through.

FC Silver Fox

Agreed but with tolerance of British managers who aren't English.
And another thing, why limit this to black? Why nothing about Asian managers?
Why not have female managers?  That would be fun in the dressing room. Is there any rule to stop a club nominating a female manager?   ok, maybe I'm getting silly here and detracting from Finnster's valid point.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

The Doctor

I was wondering when this article would get picked up on.  In fairness, at no point does Taylor insinuate there is a problem with a lack of opportunities for black managers.  He seems (to me, at least) to be talking in a hypothetical sense.

Having had a listen to the little audio clip, it's not the source of most of the comments attributed to him within the article.  I absolutely hate articles like this - they come across as if a journo has asked a leading question so as to get some quotes for an article that's already pretty much written.

HatterDon

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on March 31, 2011, 03:38:54 PM
Agreed but with tolerance of British managers who aren't English.
And another thing, why limit this to black? Why nothing about Asian managers?
Why not have female managers?  That would be fun in the dressing room. Is there any rule to stop a club nominating a female manager?   ok, maybe I'm getting silly here and detracting from Finnster's valid point.

Cheri Lunghi anyone?

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

epsomraver

Typical BBC trendy lefty tripe, has it ever occurred to them that there aren't any good enough!!!

ImperialWhite

Quote from: epsomraver on April 01, 2011, 10:39:47 AM
Typical BBC trendy lefty tripe, has it ever occurred to them that there aren't any good enough!!!

Right, cos having darker skin is famously an impediment to being good at football.

Also: Hope Powell - her girls are doing much better than the England lads.

epsomraver

That is not what I said, If they were any good they would come through regardless of their colour, why are there so many jocks as managers?

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: epsomraver on April 01, 2011, 10:52:15 AM
That is not what I said, If they were any good they would come through regardless of their colour, why are there so many jocks as managers?

Not necessarily, there is still a certain amount of discrimination I am sure.

epsomraver

And against women, Asians as well? what about the best shine through and that is what dictates.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: epsomraver on April 01, 2011, 12:03:14 PM
And against women, Asians as well? what about the best shine through and that is what dictates.

In a perfect meritocratic society, that would occur, but lets face it, that is not how the world works.

epsomraver

I agree but race and colour should not be put up as the sole reason.

MJG

Slightly off the subject of black managers what about the future of managers at all.
We now have the first generation of super rich players reaching the end of their playing careers, will they have the hunger to do this job.
Look at southgate, one job and he's off working for the FA. Will top rich players want the agro?

Dixie

Quote from: MJG on April 01, 2011, 01:28:30 PM
Slightly off the subject of black managers what about the future of managers at all.
We now have the first generation of super rich players reaching the end of their playing careers, will they have the hunger to do this job.
Look at southgate, one job and he's off working for the FA. Will top rich players want the agro?

Not always the top players that make the best managers though...
Look at Mourinho, Wenger, Hodgson

Different qualities required and in fact being a top player might detract from becoming a top manager in some way due to the celebrity that top players attain these days. That will mean that they are going to be in the spotlight and under the microscope from day 1.

"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Burt

Since when did football represent an accurate picture of society?

The premier league is dominated by white, foreign males so management seems to be more a reflection of that.

The root causes need tackling - increasing grass-roots participation of all faiths and colours, limiting the number of overseas players, kicking corruption out of FIFA and uselessness out of the FA, etc. etc.

finnster01

Just went through the list of current managers in the Prem:

Scottish 6
English 5 (Redknapp, Hodgson, Bruce, Pardew, and Holloway)
French 2
Italian 2
Welsh 2
Israeli 1
Irish 1
Spanish 1

In other words, the English top-flight is run by a grand total of 25% English managers... That is just not right  :dead horse:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead