watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thoughts on Blackpool game

Started by Ordar, April 04, 2011, 04:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

Firstly I refuse to start a debate about the statue, so it wont be mentioned past this sentence. Also this will probably be a long post, so be warned!

Going into the game I was pretty apprehensive. A few results went against us on Saturday, and regardless of our goal difference basically giving us an extra point advantage on all the sides below us, it was worrying times. Blackpool were a dangerous team at the beginning of the season but seem to have been found out. You just cant concede so many goals and stay up, so I sadly think they'll be dropping.

We played well in spells, especially early in both halves. Then pretty much sat back for the rest of the time. Blackpool had lots of possession in their own half, but I was never overly concerned that they'd create enough clear cut chances to drag the game back from 2-0. They only really created chances when we were playing with 10 man as Aaron had to go off injured (hope he'll be fine for Old Trafford)

Quick summation of how I think the boys did individually.

Schwarzer - Had very little to do. Everything he was asked to do, he did badly. I seem to mention after every game that I believe Stockdale should be first choice, and I stick by that. Seems to want to punch rather than catch at the moment.

Baird - Outstanding. Constantly seemed to be in perfect position and distribution was decent. Got forward to support Duff well. Saved Schwarzer's blushes with a great goal line clearance. My MoM.

Hughes - Took a bit of a beating all game, but solid as ever. Looked a bit dazed (potentially concussed?) after the head clash.

Hangeland - Solid aswell. Lovely ball control in the corner, few wayward passes,  but dominated Beattie in the air for the majority.

Salcido - I read a few people slating his performance, but I think he's been getting more solid as the season has gone on. Cant remember him doing anything especially terrible, and got forward well as normal.

Duff - Another great display from the Duffman. No-one knows how to win a freekick like Damien! Set piece delivery seemed better than normal, and caused real problems.

Murphy - Solid display. The CM totally dominated the first half. Was lucky not to get booked before he eventually was. Was interesting to read that Murphy was up in the top 5 tacklers in the league aswell as top passer.

Etuhu -  I've been one of Dicksons biggest critics this season, but yesterday he was immense. Easily the best performance I've seen him produce. Dominated the game, and got a goal which was deserved. I still favour Sidwell in that position, but was a really good performance.

Dempsey - As I get abused for any criticism I give Dempsey, I will just say he looked tired and was surprised he wasnt subbed.

Zamora - Showed exactly what we've missed. Showed a surprising turn of speed for the first goal. Great to have him back. Looked quality when he was on.

Dembele - Brilliant touches and flashes of skill. Seems to cause problems, although as others mentioned doesnt really produce an end product. He's still young  and I fully expect him to get even better next season.

Was a comfortable performance. As I said we played some good stuff in patches, especially for the move that led to Duff hitting the post which was a fantastic passage of play.

Our bench on Sunday looked so strong. I cant remember a better one to be honest (Stockdale, Kelly, Sidwell, Davies, AJ, Gudjohnson, Kakuta). We have some real options there especially in the attacking areas. I'll be interested to see if AJ remains a sub, or if Hughes tries to manipulate the way we play a bit to get him in the side.

Overall good stuff from the lads. Shame Vidic wasnt sent off against Spam as Utd arent the same team without him. Rooney wont get banned as he's Rooney, so will be a difficult game on Saturday, at a ground we've got spanked on the last few years.