Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (07.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 07, 2011, 06:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

MARK SCHWARZER WANTS TO STAY AT FULHAM 

Thursday April 7,2011

By Daily Express reporter

MARK SCHWARZER wants to trigger the one-year option to stay at Fulham until 2013. Australia goalkeeper Schwarzer, 38, has no plans on retiring and has targeted playing at the next World Cup.

"As long as I am playing well week in, week out and the manager is playing me then I'll be around for a while to come," he said.

"I have signed a contract that keeps me at Fulham until the end of next season, and potentially there could be another year after that, too."

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is set to offer Zoltan Gera another chance to stay at Craven Cottage.

Gera, 31, has not signed a new deal and has been tipped to leave on a free transfer in the summer, but Hughes said: "He understands and knows my feelings in terms of what I feel about him – I want him to remain a Fulham player.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/239255/Mark-Schwarzer-wants-to-stay-at-FulhamMark-Schwarzer-wants-to-stay-at-Fulham#ixzz1IoUtcAbM

White Noise

http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk/2011/04/blackburn-and-west-ham-target-barca-reject

Blackburn and West Ham target Barca reject

Published on April 6, 2011

by Rob Morris   ·   No Comments

Blackburn, West Ham and Fulham are all chasing Barcelona B striker Jonathan Soriano.

Spanish newspaper Sport claim that the 25-year-old, who has scored 21 times in just 26 starts for Barca's reserve team in the Spanish second division this season, has received several offers from Premier League clubs.

Soriano's contract expires in June 2012.

White Noise

FFC Podcast

Striker Bobby Zamora is the main man on this week's Inside Fulham Podcast, which also features Mark Hughes and Mark Schwarzer following Sunday's 3-0 win over Blackpool at the Cottage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/04/06/2428498/fulhams-clint-dempsey-i-can-play-with-more-freedom-under

Fulham's Clint Dempsey: I can play with more freedom under Mark Hughes

American hails boss for allowing him to express himself more on the pitch this season, and says he wants to play even better due to the amount of faith shown in him

6 Apr 2011 09:35:00

EXCLUSIVE

By Allen Ramsey

Fulham's Clint Dempsey has hailed Mark Hughes for showing confidence in him this season.

The American has featured regularly for the Cottagers this campaign after an injury-hit spell towards the end of Roy Hodgson's reign.

And after scoring 11 goals in all competitions for the club this term, Dempsey has praised Hughes for allowing him to play with more freedom on the pitch.

"I just feel more of a freedom under [Hughes] to go out and try things," he told Goal.com.

"Also, he's shown a lot of confidence in me in keeping me in games and moving me around in positions, in more of attacking roles in the dying minutes of the games to try and get points.

"And that's something that really means a lot to me and makes me want to go out there and work even harder for him."

Hughes is Dempsey's fourth boss in his time at Fulham, but the midfielder has coped well with the changes and says his ability to seize on the chances he's been given have been key to his career.

"A lot of my career has been my competitive nature and my willingness not to accept things," he said.

"Just because they say this or they say that, I don't let that affect me. I make it what it is or die trying. That's the type of attitude I approach things with. I think that's kind of put me in situations to get opportunities and then when I've gotten those opportunities I've been able to grab them with both hands and make something of those."

Dempsey also says he is happy to have made an impact in a European league, adding: "It feels good, always, to be amongst that type of company [with] the best [American] players that have gone over to Europe and been successful.

"But for me, it's something that feels good, but it's not enough. I want to keep pushing myself, keep bettering myself and see how far I can actually take it and what I can actually do with my career.

"I'm not really stopping and smelling the roses too much, just staying on my grind and trying to really make an impact and leave something special when I'm done playing."

White Noise

http://www.fansfc.com/story/31274.html

Fulham eyeing Everton defender

Joseph Yobo is a reported target for Fulham Football Club.

The 30-year-old defender was David Moyes first signing as Everton manager, but he fell down the pecking order for a place in the side last season.

Yobo has this term been on loan at Fenerbahce, and he recently revealed he would be willing to sign for the Turkish side on a permanent basis.

As it stands, though, the Nigerian international will return to Goodison Park in the summer, where he would then see out the remaining year of his contract.

However, it is understood that Mark Hughes is keen to take Yobo to Craven Cottage, and would be prepared to pay around £3million for his signature.

White Noise

Next One Up

Wednesday 6th April 2011

This weekend we travel to Old Trafford to face a Manchester United side chasing their 12th Premier League title.

For the Red Devils, our visit comes in the middle of a Champions League Quarter-Final against Chelsea and a week ahead of an FA Cup Semi-Final date against Manchester City.

With Arsenal still hot on United's heels in the title race, Alex Ferguson's side will be determined to extend their impressive home record. Having lost three and drawn eight away from home, it is at Old Trafford where they have been at their strongest – winning 14 and drawing just one of their 15 games to date.

Fulham and United shared an exciting 2-2 draw at Craven Cottage back in August. Simon Davies cancelled out an early Paul Scholes strike, before Brede Hangeland put the ball into his own net with just six minutes remaining. A penalty save from David Stockdale denied Nani three minutes later, before Hangeland made amends and won a point with a late headed goal.

Like most, the Whites haven't found Old Trafford the happiest of hunting grounds, our last victory there achieved in October 2003, when goals from Lee Clark, Steed Malbranque and Junichi Inamoto earned a memorable 3-1 victory. In recent years, United have held a clear upper hand, winning the last two encounters 3-0.

United's line-up may well contain two more than familiar faces, in the form of former Whites Edwin Van der Sar and Chris Smalling. The popular Dutch 'keeper spent four seasons at Craven Cottage and is widely recognised as one of our all-time finest, while England Under-21 Smalling made his breakthrough in SW6 before leaving last summer.

Ground Details
Address: Sir Matt Busby Way, Old Trafford, Manchester, M16 0RA
Telephone: 0161 868 8000
Capacity: 76,212
Visitors Sections: South Stand
Disabled Sections: Facilities in South East corner of ground

GETTING TO OLD TRAFFORD (Approx. 210 miles from Fulham)
Originally built in 1910, Old Trafford is now the biggest club stadium in Britain, holding just over 76,000, yet despite its intimidating enormity, it retains plenty of character. Attending a match at Old Trafford is regarded as one of the best footballing experiences in the world and is something every fan looks forward to.

BY ROAD
Leave London via M1 or M40/M42/M5 to join M6. Continue on M6 until Junction 19.
Follow signs Manchester Airport onto A556 and in 4 miles join M56 (signs Manchester). In approx 7 miles exit M56 at Junction 3 following signs for M60 West onto M60. Exit M60 at Junction 7 turning right onto A56 Chester Road. Continue on A56 and ground is on the left in approx 2 miles.

CAR PARKING
There are a number of car parks within a short distance of the ground. Most priced at £10. Parking is strictly controlled within the vicinity of Old Trafford.

BY RAIL
Travel from London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly. Station is about 2 miles from stadium. Numerous buses are available from Piccadilly, and Old Trafford station is on the Altrincham tramlink. Taxi from about £8.

THE AREA
It can be difficult to gain entry to bars or pubs in the vicinity of the stadium in visiting teams' colours, so the best bet is to head to the city centre, which is only a few stops away on the MetroLink. Alternatively, there are plenty of concessions stalls within the ground at reasonable prices. Other local sights include Manchester Cathedral, The Manchester Wheel (Manchester's answer to the London eye) and the Manchester United club museum.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/ManchesterUnitedNextUp.aspx#ixzz1Ikdp5mOU

White Noise

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/News/MostEmailed/1064247/Mohamed-Al-Fayed-named-running-Desmonds-newspapers/

Mohamed Al Fayed named in running for Desmond's newspapers

Mohamed Al Fayed, the former owner of Harrods, has been named as a surprise candidate in the running to acquire Richard Desmond's Express and Star national newspaper titles.

Al Fayed, who sold Harrods for £1.5bn last year, is believed to be one of a number of possible buyers, as are the Candy brothers, the property developers, and a number of national newspaper publishers.

A well-placed source told Media Week that he believed discussions have taken place between Desmond and Al Fayed over the possible sale of the four national newspaper titles – the Daily Express, the Sunday Express, the Daily Star, and Daily Star Sunday.

Al Fayed is, according to the source, a long-term friend of Desmond.

At a party held by Al Fayed last year to mark the sale of Harrods, Desmond paid a glowing tribute to the Egyptian businessman, via satellite, championing him for his charitable donations.

Desmond is conducting a review of his media assets, which includes the possible sale of his magazines and national newspapers. Channel 5, which he acquired last year, is not part of the review.

Desmond's Northern & Shell has appointed Goldman Sachs to conduct a review of its newspaper assets and Barclays Capital to review its magazines.

Daily Mail & General Trust (DMGT), the publisher of the Daily Mail, and Trinity Mirror, publisher of the Daily Mirror, are thought to be interested in Desmond's newspaper assets, though DMGT's interest is believed to be the stronger of the two.

According to Sky News, DMGT is holding ongoing talks with Desmond over the sale.

Sources close to Northern & Shell have sought to play down the idea of Desmond selling his national newspapers and celebrity magazines, saying he is conducting a "stock-take" of his assets.

They say there is no agenda or deadline for Desmond to sell the magazines and newspapers.

Al Fayed has an interest in publishing after he acquired the now defunct satirical magazine Punch back in 1996.

His current assets include English Premiership football team, Fulham Football Club and the Hotel Ritz in Paris.

Al Fayed has held a long-standing vendetta against the royal family and has previously accused the Duke of Edinburgh of murdering his son Dodi Al Fayed and Princess Diana by staging a car crash in Paris.

Northern & Shell declined to comment. Trinity Mirror said it did not comment on speculation and DMGT declined to comment. Al-Fayed was unavailable for comment and the Candy Brothers declined to comment.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_6856899,00.html

Rooney loses ban appeal

United striker will miss FA Cup semi-final

By Rob Parrish

Last Updated: April 7, 2011 10:42am

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has lost his appeal against a two-match ban and will miss the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City.

The Red Devils forward was penalised by the Football Association for his four-letter outburst into a television camera during the 4-2 win away to West Ham on Saturday.

England international Rooney had just completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot when he launched into his tirade during the live Saturday lunchtime showdown.

The FA punished Rooney for using offensive, insulting and/or abusive language at Upton Park and issued a two-match ban, and while the former Everton man accepted the charge he felt the suspension was excessive.

.Remote Record..However, the governing body have ignored the fiery forward's pleas and stuck with their original judgement.

Immediate effect

"A Regulatory Commission has suspended Manchester United's Wayne Rooney for two matches," read a statement issued by the FA at 10am on Thursday morning.

"The Commission did not accept the claim and Rooney will begin the standard two-match suspension with immediate effect."

FA statement
"Rooney had admitted a charge for the use of offensive, insulting and/or abusive language, but claimed that the automatic penalty of two games was clearly excessive.

"The Commission did not accept the claim and Rooney will begin the standard two-match suspension with immediate effect."

Rooney will now miss Saturday's home Premier League meeting with Fulham and also the semi-final showdown with local rivals City at Wembley on 16th April.

The Football Association opted not to release the outcome of Wednesday's disciplinary hearing immediately following a request by United, who did not wish to suffer any disruption to their preparation for the UEFA Champions League encounter with Chelsea.

Rooney scored the only goal at Stamford Bridge and will be available for the second leg at Old Trafford on Tuesday as his suspension only applies to domestic matches.

White Noise

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/903772/roy-hodgson-and-chris-coleman-back-at-the-cottage?cc=5739

Hodgson back at the Cottage

April 7, 2011

By ESPNsoccernet staff

Former Fulham bosses Roy Hodgson and Chris Coleman are to represent the club in a 'Legends' match against Chelsea at Craven Cottage.

Hodgson, who led the club to the Europa League final last season, will take charge of the side while Coleman will be the team captain for the London Legends Cup semi-final match against their West London rivals. Chelsea, meanwhile, will feature the likes of Claude Makelele and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

Tottenham and Arsenal will also play on the Sunday, with the winners of the semi-finals meeting on the same afternoon.

The games, which last 40 minutes and follow Football 40 rules that permit rolling substitutions, take place on Sunday 29 May.

Glenn Hoddle, technical director of Football 40, said: "As a football player, we're always envious of other sportsmen whose careers can continue after the professional game. You're very lucky to have a career in sport but to then continue it after you finish is a tremendous thing.

"The key to Football 40 is being able to have rolling subs and being able to compete and perform for a short period of time. It will be great to see these legends play again."

The event will see money raised for Help A London Child and the Fulham FC Foundation as part of a charity auction.

White Noise

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/heavenly_start_to_fulhams_major_club_overhaul/?utm_source=Feeds&utm_campaign=soccer&utm_medium=rss

Heavenly start to Fulham's major club overhaul

07 April 2011

By Chris Raveney

English Premier League soccer team Fulham have announced a partnership with branding agency Heavenly, commencing from the 2011/12 season.

Under the terms of this arrangement, Heavenly will provide brand strategy ideas and creative services to Fulham, including for their season ticket campaign, which launches next month, the club's membership scheme and their new kit launch. No information regarding the duration and value of the contract has been released.

Following the announcement, Heavenly launched their 48-page brand campaign, which focuses on the whole match day experience at Fulham, rather than specifically on the game itself. Three core images are at the centre of this: 'The Commute', featuring fans cross Putney Bridge to get to Craven Cottage - the team's stadium,  'The Last Yards', showing the walk through nearby Bishops Park, and 'Half-Time Show', displaying a panoramic view of the stadium from across the Thames at half-time.

This new branding campaign, which was released with the purpose to 'make the fans feel good about themselves', is part of an ongoing, wider overhaul of the West London club's image in an attempt to capture a wider audience of fans.

Fulham's communication's director, Sarah Brookes, said: 'Having decided to review our entire creative strategy, we saw a number of agencies each given the same initial brief to work from.  We were immediately impressed with the level of understanding that Heavenly had regarding the Fulham brand and its core, unique properties.  The energy and enthusiasm shown mirrored our own, and we are all very excited about what can be achieved with the relationship going forward.'   

Heavenly's founder and chief executive, Richard Sunderland, commented: "We are delighted to have been appointed by Fulham. We see them as the antidote to the modern game and to the faceless corporates that currently run many of their competitors. As a consequence we feel that there are many similarities between the club and Heavenly and as a London agency are thrilled to be working with a club that has such history and tradition."

With seven games to go in the Barclays Premier League, Fulham currently occupy tenth spot with a mid-table finish beckoning once more for the Cottagers.

White Noise

Through the Ranks

Thursday 7th April 2011

Richard Barroilhet has had a testing eight months or so at Fulham, with the young striker having to overcoming serious injury in his first season with the Whites' Academy.

Raised in France, Barroilhet initially made his way through the Nice youth system, before returning to England, his place of birth, last summer.

A promising start with Kit Symons' Under-18s and notable cameos for Billy McKinlay's Development Squad represented significant progress for the youngster, who impressed with his technique and ability to bring others into play.

However, a late tackle in a 2-0 win at Chelsea's Cobham training ground last November put paid to his immediate impact, with the striker subsequently missing a large part of the season.

"It was obviously a bad period for me," reflects Richard. "When you join a new club all you want to do is make an impression and show that you are good enough to be there. But that is difficult to do when you are out injured.

"It was a really bad injury, and at one stage people thought that I might not play again. It was a result of a bad tackle, one that ripped the muscle away from my shinbone. Thankfully, the operation went well and I managed to make a good recovery.

"It was a horrible feeling though, and I don't mind admitting that at one point I actually cried. It's easy to say that injury is just part of the game, but when it actually happens to you, and on such a level – it's difficult to get your head around.

"But fortunately we have a great medical department here and the coaches and rest of the staff were excellent. I don't feel like I'm back to exactly how I was, but I'm certainly heading in the right direction."

Technically assured and comfortable with the ball at his feet, despite his height Barroilhet is a player that drops off the main striker where his clever link up play and positive approach can give his team an extra dimension.

Highly-rated in France, it was however, his ambition to play in England and in particular the Premier League, where he feels he can develop his game even further.

"Having been born in England, I've always followed the football in this country," says the Westminster-born youngster. "So it was natural for me to want to come over and see what I could do. Fortunately the chance to try my luck at Fulham came up and after a successful trial it worked out well for me.

"I really enjoy the challenge here, and the Premier League is an exciting place to be – this is the league that the rest of the world watches. To make it here would be unbelievable.

"I enjoyed my time in France with Nice, because it's a good club and one that looks after its young players. But I'm really pleased to be at Fulham because I know that I can become a better player here.

"I'm quite tall, but I think that I could be a bit stronger – perhaps I need to make my presence felt a bit more? But that's certainly something that I will learn here, you have to really, because English football is a lot tougher than the football in France.

"I grew up in the South of France playing football on the beach – so the intensity is obviously a lot different. Of course, this is a more demanding environment and from that I have no choice but to become a better player. It's hard, but that's what I'm here to do."

The injury setback aside, it has been a positive start to life at Fulham for Barroilhet who was rewarded with his first professional contract in February.

"That meant so much to me," he reveals. "It was a very proud moment and a sign that the Club sees something in me. Hopefully it is the start of something good, because I would love to progress further.

"But there is a lot of hard work ahead of me and I'll do the best that I can. I've made a few appearances for the Development Squad, and my goal is to get a bit more time with them before the campaign is over – that would be great.

"The aim is to move up and work with Billy McKinlay and Ray Lewington on a regular basis next season, that's the natural step for the older boys within the Academy. Up from that, is training with the First Team."

Mark Hughes' squad may well be a little way in the future yet for the 18-year-old hopeful, however the ambitious young striker is determined to give it his best shot. Despite his tender age, Barroilhet has seen a fair bit of the world having also spent time in Madrid, but it is the time he spends in SW6 that could prove the most rewarding.

"I feel at home here, which is very important," explains Richard. "If you're going to do well on the field, at the same time, you have to be happy off of it. I have seen a lot of the world, but I'm very much enjoying my time at Fulham – it's a good place for me.

"The Club has given me a wonderful opportunity and hopefully I can prove that I am capable of doing well here. I would love to run out at Craven Cottage, and who knows, even score a few goals? It's a long way off, but I'm looking forward to giving it a good shot."

Up close with Richard Barroilhet

My main strengths are my technical ability and distribution.
Although my weakness is probably my work off the ball.
The biggest influence in my career has been my parents Rick and Mandy.
My favourite Fulham player is Mousa Dembélé – I like his technique and the way that he retains the ball.
Growing up my footballing idols were players like Zinedine Zidane, David Ginola and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
The best moment of my career so far was signing my first professional contract at Fulham.
I would describe myself as down-to-earth, hard-working and good to be around.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/ThroughtheRanksRichardBarroilhet.aspx#ixzz1IqNzRk1g

White Noise

Fulham v Bolton tickets

Barclays Premier League

Wednesday 27th April

Kick-Off: 20:00

To let as many Juniors as possible experience live top flight football under the Craven Cottage floodlights, kids for a quid is back! Make an evening of it for the whole family and enjoy the action together when Bolton visit the Cottage!

On-sale dates
Season Ticket Holders  On sale (unlimited tickets)
Fulham Club Members On sale (unlimitied tickets)
General Sale On sale (6 tickets)
Loyalty points: 4 (more info)| 

Buy tickets online|

Kids (and Seniors) for a Quid
Ensure your family experience the buzz and excitement of the Barclays Premier League.

Junior (under 16) tickets are only £1. What's more, we are also offering Senior (over 65) tickets for just £1 as well to make it a real family occasion!

With this price restricted to advanced sales only, don't wait - secure seats for your family now. This promotion is valid until 5pm Tuesday 19th April with seats allocated in the Putney and Hammersmith Stands only. The Junior price will increase to £5 with Senior ticket prices reverting to the listed price below.

Note: Under 12s must be accompanied by an adult and must have ID on hand if requested.

Buy tickets online|

Group Tickets
Fans can also watch this fixture for as little as £28 when buying group tickets. So, why not get some friends, family or colleagues together for the game and introduce a few new fans to Fulham?

A 20% discount will be offered on bookings of 10 or more tickets. These discounts apply to full view adult tickets in the Putney End only and are subject to availability.

These tickets can only be bought over the phone and you must quote 'GROUP DISCOUNTS' when booking. Call 0843 208 1234 (option 3) (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) to book now or make a  booking request online|. †

How to Buy Tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0843 208 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 0207 384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange * Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

† Special offers and packages only available on advance bookings and not on the day of the match.

Prices
Category B prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to  book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 opt 3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Stand (Grade B)   Block   Adult   Conc   Junior 
Riverside   S, Z   £40   £25   £10 
J Haynes   D, DL, G, GL   £42   £28   £15 
Hammersmith / Putney   All Blocks   £35   £25   £15 
J Haynes   B, BL, C, CL J, JL, H, HL    £40   £25   £10 
J Haynes   A, K, AL, KL   £30   £20   £10 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/BoltonHome.aspx#ixzz1IqPMtzpC

White Noise

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/04/football-news/premier-league-preview-manchester-united-v-fulham

Premier League preview: Manchester United v Fulham

Date: 7th April 2011 at 11:28 am

Fresh from their Champions League triumph over Chelsea, Manchester United return to the business of the Premier League against Fulham on Saturday.The Red Devils are within grasping distance of their 19th league title after Arsenal gifted them an eight-point buffer at the top of the table, and it seems Sir Alex Ferguson's men have timed their run-in to perfection.

Wayne Rooney in particular is in sterling form with eight goals in his last eight league appearances – a far cry from his early-season struggles.

But none of that will matter, as the 25-year-old is unavailable due to his bizarre behaviour against West Ham United last weekend.

Rooney unleashed a curse-laden tirade at television cameras following his hat-trick goal and was subsequently slapped with a two-game ban – upheld on appeal – by the Football Association.

It is a shame for United as Rooney's boots are still smoking after his winner in the Red Devils' 1-0 Champions League defeat of Chelsea on Wednesday.

But if Fulham think they will be facing a toothless opponent at Old Trafford then they are clearly delusional, given United still boat the league's top-scorer Dimitar Berbatov (20 goals) and the mercurial Javier Hernandez (11 goals).

Despite denials to the contrary, it would appear United boss Ferguson has primed his troops for a run at the treble. It would be foolhardy to think the Cottagers can get in the way of that.

Mark Hughes' men are sitting mid-table with 38 points after 31 games, three points shy of seventh-placed Everton but only four points clear of Aston Villa in 16th.

Their form has been solid but not extraordinary – a 3-0 win over Blackpool, a 2-1 loss at Everton, a 3-2 win over Blackburn, a 1-1 draw at Manchester City.

If they have a spark it is United States international Clint Dempsey, whose 10 goals this season have often proved the difference between taking points and dropping them.

But it is Australian goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer who will need to be at his best this week, as the chances will flow thick and fast on Saturday.

Looking at injuries, Fulham defender Aaron Hughes is expected to play despite taking a knock to the head against Blackpool.

Steve Sidwell, who signed from Aston Villa in January, got his first run-on as a substitute against the Seasiders and could find himself with a role in Hughes' starting XI.

For United, midfielder Anderson is probably still a week away from resuming league duties after suffering a knee injury in February, while the match has also come too soon for Darren Fletcher (virus) and John O'Shea (hamstring).

NogoodBoyo

Smashing interview with Dempsey there.  What an influence he has on the team (as witenssed in Hughes's recent tributes).  He fights his way into every manager's team-book.
Nogood "sceptic gushing, isit" Boyo

White Noise

Mark Hughes hopes Wayne Rooney ban can benefit Fulham

Mark Hughes video interview

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13000539.stm

White Noise

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/04/football-news/no-roo-is-good-news-for-fulham

No Roo is good news for Fulham

Date: 7th April 2011 at 4:51 pm |

Written by FFC News Desk

Fulham manager Mark Hughes believes Wayne Rooney's replacements could be just as dangerous as the suspended Manchester United striker.Rooney will start a two-game ban on Saturday, meaning he misses the visit of Hughes and his side, and the Welshman cannot hide the confidence that Rooney's absence has given him.

However, he admitted that his side would still face plenty of headaches from the likes of Dimitar Berbatov and Javier Hernandez.

"I saw Wayne play on Wednesday night and I thought he was outstanding so I am pleased and when he is not available," Hughes said.

"It is a positive for us but they have a lot of players that can come in and make an impact in his place."

Hughes, a former United striker himself, has not been over-impressed with the quality of football Sir Alex Ferguson's side has produced this season, but he recognises a ruthless approach to their recent games that makes them likely Premier League winners.

"I think as the season gets near the business end they are getting stronger and stronger," Hughes said.

"I think I have been more impressed by them in recent weeks than I have been in all the season before."

"Once they get to this stage of the season they just understand what has to be done and start going about their business."

Fulham, after occupying the relegation zone occasionally in the early parts of the season courtesy of a number of injuries to their strikers, have been resurgent since the turn of the year and hope they have the resources to beat a weakened United team.

Defender Aaron Hughes will play despite suffering a head injury in the game against Blackpool at the weekend – he had suffered headaches after game but has recovered.

Midfielder Damien Duff is Hughes' only doubt as he has been complaining of an Achilles tendon injury that has prevented him from training.

But overall Hughes believes that, with a virtually fully fit squad, his players should have no fear of visiting Old Trafford.

"I do not anticipate for one moment that it will be too much for my players because we are enjoying what we are doing at the moment and we are very positive that we can go there and get a good result," Hughes said.

"For us it is about playing well and to the best of our ability and making sure we cause them problems."

White Noise

Reading Star

Thursday 7th April 2011

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer travelled to Craven Cottage after training on Tuesday afternoon to deliver a reading comprehension lesson to pupils from John Betts School. 

Schwarzer has been Fulham's Premier League Reading Stars Champion for the past three seasons and the goalkeeper referred to an extract from a book he has co-written 'Megs Morrison and the Vootball kids'|.

This is the first book in a series of five books that details the journey of a football-mad kid from England who struggles to adapt to his new environment when he emigrates to Australia with his family.   

Schwarzer has previously spoken of his role as Reading Stars Champion and the Aussie keeper clearly enjoys encouraging the younger generations to make the most of the reading facilities at their disposal.   

"It is always a pleasure to meet with children and hear about their passion for reading," said Schwarzer. "The Premier League Reading Stars programme is a great way to encourage children and their families to make use of their local library facilities and to read more."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/SchwarzerReadingStar.aspx#ixzz1IrSuWsQa

White Noise

Team News

Thursday 7th April 2011

Mark Hughes revealed on Thursday afternoon that Damien Duff is the only injury concern ahead of Saturday's trip to Old Trafford to face Manchester United.

Hughes stated that Duff, suffering from a sore Achilles, will be assessed prior to this weekend's encounter. Hughes also announced that Aaron Hughes will be available for Saturday's game.

Fulham's ever present centre half has suffered his fair share of knocks in recent weeks, including a shoulder injury and a heavy blow to the head against Blackpool last weekend, but the Northern Ireland international has recovered in time to face Manchester United.

Fulham's manager is clearly relishing the challenge of facing his former side and was in positive mood ahead of the game, stating that his Team has every reason to believe a positive result can be achieved this weekend.

"We know we're in for a big test," Hughes told a packed press conference on Thursday. "Their [United] home form has been exemplary this season and I think only one team has been able to go there and get a draw. We want to do better than that and that's our attitude.

"We're playing well so why not have a go? The stage of playing at Old Trafford can undermine some players because of the history that surrounds the club and the huge support they have. Sometimes at 3pm on Saturday afternoon that can be too much for players but I don't anticipate for one moment it will be too much for my players.

"We're enjoying what we're doing at the moment and the way we're playing. We're very positive we can go there and get a good result. From our point of view it's about playing to the best of our abilities and making sure we cause problems for Manchester United."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/HughesUnitedPreview.aspx#ixzz1IrTUf0eW