Friday Fulham Stuff (08.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 08, 2011, 06:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Moussa Dembele: A new hero is in town - and the ball is his friend

By Ivan Speck

Last updated at 1:13 AM on 8th April 2011

EXCLUSIVE

As a young boy growing up in an immigrant-populated suburb of Antwerp, Moussa Dembele learned his football on a concrete basketball court.

This was no kick-and-rush education, though. The goal was the pole which held up the basketball hoop and scoring entailed striking the pole.

The game, as explained by Fulham's roving striker, sounds utterly simple, but then the 23-year-old Belgian exudes confidence.

'It was five-a-side. The pole was such a small target that you had to play one-twos, use your technical skill to get a goal. It gave me a solution for everything. That's why the ball is my friend,' said Dembele with a matter-of-factness which underscores his belief in himself.

There is little doubt in his mind that he is headed for the top. Were it not expressed so calmly it could pass for arrogance.

Relishing the test: Fulham's Moussa Dembele is loving his first season in the Premier League

But then Dembele, whose father hails from Mali, his mother from Belgium, is also a fierce critic of his own failings.

Four years ago, just before his 20th birthday, he and his AZ Alkmaar team-mates under coach Louis van Gaal went into their final game at relegated Excelsior needing just a draw to win the Dutch title. They lost. In the dressing room after the game, heads were bowed in sorrow. All except one.

'I didn't know how to react. Everybody else was sad but I was angry thinking we didn't deserve to win the title if we couldn't handle the pressure against a team like that. It was a strange day for me.

'I was angry at everything. The team and myself because I had missed a few chances. It stayed with me a few days then went away but the feeling kept coming back months later. How did we lose the championship like that? It hurt again. So now in big games I want to make the difference.'

Niggling injuries restricted Dembele to just 10 Premier League starts before Christmas after his £5million summer move from Alkmaar, where he eased the collective pain by helping the club to the title the following season. But he is now a regular starter, and Fulham's improvement in the new year can be attributed in part to the direct running threat the Belgium striker gives a team whose patient passing movements sometimes blunt their effectiveness.

Dembele didn't turn up at Craven Cottage by chance. Everything fitted, including a glowing reference from international team-mate Vincent Kompany about Fulham manager Mark Hughes, under whom Kompany played at Manchester City. And now a fit-again strike partner in Bobby Zamora, who has already impressed Dembele.

'I was happy for Bobby to score two goals last Sunday,' he said. 'He holds the ball up so well and shows a lot of strength when in possession which allows me to create forward runs and make myself available for the short pass as well. He uses his strength really well and you can tell that he is hungry and determined to contribute to the team having missed most of the season.

Settling in nicely: Dembele (second right) is enjoying life in west London

'There were a lot of factors in choosing Fulham. Last year they did a great job in the Europa League so it makes you think they have to be a good team. Then there was living in London and my agent told me also that Fulham are a stable club with a good mentality.

'And Vincent Kompany told me about Mark Hughes. That was also really important for me. He told me Mark Hughes had been a top footballer so he understands players and his relationship with the players is very good, that the training sessions are very good and that he is one of the best managers he has had in his career. I recognise that now.

'There were times at the beginning of the season when everybody was panicking a little bit because results were not so good but the manager and the coaches didn't pass that pressure on to the players. They told everybody to stay calm, just to do their jobs and everything will be all right. That was important, a good piece of management.

'I've asked the players what it was like last year under the previous manager (Roy Hodgson). They said it was a different way, more defensive. I'm happy that I came to the club now because for me it's better to play football. It's more my type of style. I want players to play the ball to me. I want to be involved in the game, to make the difference.'

Attacking focus: Dembele (left) has netted four times for Fulham in an injury-hit season

Before he moves upwards and onwards if all goes to plan, including impressing possible suitors like Saturday's opponents Manchester United, Dembele wants to ensure Fulham pull away from the relegation zone and then win a trophy next season.

'If Birmingham can do it why not us? The big teams may have more quality than us but as a group we are strong. You can feel that everybody is confident. Nobody thinks we are going to lose and we are not an easy team to play against. We play well against the big teams so we don't have to be scared of anybody.

'I feel really comfortable in English football already but of course it becomes easier the more you know the league.

'Before I signed I knew I would enjoy it because there are no small teams in the Premier League so you want to play every game and it is easy to motivate yourself. Every opponent is a good player so you are testing yourself every week. There are no easy defenders here.'

Dembele hopes he can be a part of the rebirth of the Belgian national side with the likes of Kompany, Marouane Fellaini and Thomas Vermaelen.

Three years ago he was a member of the side which finished fourth at the Beijing Olympics, an occasion memorable for a meeting with a sporting phenomenon.

'We spent a few days in the athletes' village. The others all wanted a picture with Usain Bolt. I didn't really know who he was because I don't really watch other sports but we got our picture with him anyway. I know who he is now. I'm glad I have the picture.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1374609/Moussa-Dembele-A-new-hero-town--ball-friend.html#ixzz1IuNFZOWO

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/hughes-backs-fantastic-hernandez-to-shoulder-extra-responsibility-2264810.html

Hughes backs 'fantastic' Hernandez to shoulder extra responsibility

By Mike McGrath

Friday, 8 April 2011

Javier Hernandez has scored 17 league goals in a sparkling debut season for Manchester United

Mark Hughes' preparations to face a Manchester United team without Wayne Rooney comes with the problem of how to manage the pace of Javier Hernandez, who he has tipped to be among the great strikers at Old Trafford.

It is high praise from the Fulham manager following 163 goals during his two spells as a United player. "Chicharito" has 17 of his own in his rookie Premier League season and is in contention to start against Hughes' team tomorrow as Rooney is banned for swearing into a television camera at West Ham United.

"Wayne is first-choice striker at Manchester United and when he is not playing it takes something away from the team," Hughes said. "But I have to say I have been really impressed with Hernandez.

Related articles
•FA takes hard line with Rooney to boost flagging Respect campaign
•Terry: we are now walking on eggshells in case we get banned
•James Lawton: Momentum with Ferguson once again as rivals left frozen in his wake
Search the news archive for more stories
"I think he is a fantastic striker. Going on what I have seen, I like his movement and understanding of where the ball will drop in the box. I've been impressed with his energy and ability to know which runs to make. If Wayne is not there, the onus is more on his young shoulders and I've been impressed. Wayne will not be involved but they have a young striker there who could be one of the best."

United start the weekend seven points ahead at the top of the Premier League but also have the distraction of a Champions League quarter-final to be completed next week. The fixture falls between two legs against Chelsea, with the return clash on Tuesday when Rooney will be available again after scoring the only goal against them at Stamford Bridge.

"In fairness the whole Manchester United squad is very accomplished and whoever plays will be very good," Hughes said. "It's about managing resources and we know we're in for a big test. As the season has progressed and we're in the business end they've got stronger and stronger. I've been impressed in recent weeks.

"They understand exactly what needs to be done at this part of the season and are sweeping everyone aside. They are going about it in a fantastic manner.

"Against West Ham they were in a difficult situation but didn't panic and turned it around because they have a manager that demands that of them. The quality was very high against Chelsea, I was very impressed."

White Noise

http://www2.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/185222/Mark-Hughes-Wayne-Rooney-was-picked-on-/

MARK HUGHES: WAYNE ROONEY WAS PICKED ON

8th April 2011

By Mike McGrath

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes believes Wayne Rooney was singled out by the FA over his F-word ban.

Rooney misses the clash against Hughes' side tomorrow after being slapped with a two-match suspension for swearing last weekend.

Hughes is happy to be playing a Manchester United team without the England striker – but believes he is the victim of his own high profile.

Asked if other players would have been treated the same way, Hughes said: "My first thought is probably not. "He is a player of huge significance and they have a right to be conscious of the impact of top Premier League players on the lower levels. He possibly feels aggrieved because he sees it every week, players swearing on camera, as we all do.

"It's the fact it's Wayne. I think he understands that he does have a different position than most players in this country."

Hughes added: "I watched it on the box. I thought he may be in trouble for it. I've been in that situation where there is a release of energy and emotion. The fact it's been caught on camera, that was the difference. It was said down a camera lens.

"You've seen it before and experienced it as a player, but given the world we're operating in, there are consequences because of it."

Despite being pleased not to be facing Rooney, Hughes is wary of the threat Javier Hernandez poses. "Having watched his performance against Chelsea I was obviously pleased because Wayne was outstanding," said the former United striker.

"If he's not available, then it's a positive from our point of view. He is a worldclass player, but I have to say I have been really impressed with Hernandez.

"They have a young striker there who could be one of the best."

White Noise

Hughes makes Pantsil wait on his Fulham future

Published 23:00 07/04/11

By MirrorFootball

Fulham manager Mark Hughes says defender John Pantsil will have to wait until the end of the season for his future to be decided.

The Ghana full-back, signed by former boss Roy Hodgson from West Ham in July 2008, has made just 16 appearances this season after falling out of favour with Hughes.

Pantsil has not featured since February 5 against Aston Villa, when he netted an own goal, as he did versus Liverpool earlier in the season.

The 29-year-old played the full 90 minutes of Ghana's friendly against England at Wembley last month, but feels there is "no future" for him at Fulham.

Hughes accepts Pantsil has perhaps been unfortunate to find himself out of the matchday squad, but revealed there was unlikely to be any contract discussions until the end of the campaign.

"John has been a bit unlucky, and he has gone out of the side," said the Cottagers boss.

"He is one of the players who are out of contract in the summer.

"I have said we will look at the situation at the end of the season.

"We have negotiated a number of contracts this year because of so many players being out of contract at the end of the season. We have completed most of them, others will have to wait."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-News-Mark-Hughes-will-make-John-Pantsil-wait-until-the-summer-to-learn-his-future-article721111.html#ixzz1IuPWz3Uo

White Noise

Duff doubt for Manchester United clash

By Jacob Murtagh

Apr 7 2011

DAMIEN Duff is an injury doubt for Saturday's trip to Old Trafford.

The Irishman has an Achilles problem, which could ruled him out of the clash against the Premier League leaders.

However, defender Aaron Hughes is available, despite suffering concussion in last weekend's win against Blackpool.

Fulham's chances in the North West have been boosted by the suspension of striker Wayne Rooney after his appeal against an FA charge of using offensive language was upheld.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/04/07/duff-doubt-for-manchester-united-clash-82029-28479186/#ixzz1IrX3cujK

White Noise

Team News

Thursday 7th April 2011

Mark Hughes revealed on Thursday afternoon that Damien Duff is the only injury concern ahead of Saturday's trip to Old Trafford to face Manchester United.

Hughes stated that Duff, suffering from a sore Achilles, will be assessed prior to this weekend's encounter. Hughes also announced that Aaron Hughes will be available for Saturday's game.

Fulham's ever present centre half has suffered his fair share of knocks in recent weeks, including a shoulder injury and a heavy blow to the head against Blackpool last weekend, but the Northern Ireland international has recovered in time to face Manchester United.

Fulham's manager is clearly relishing the challenge of facing his former side and was in positive mood ahead of the game, stating that his Team has every reason to believe a positive result can be achieved this weekend.

"We know we're in for a big test," Hughes told a packed press conference on Thursday. "Their [United] home form has been exemplary this season and I think only one team has been able to go there and get a draw. We want to do better than that and that's our attitude.

"We're playing well so why not have a go? The stage of playing at Old Trafford can undermine some players because of the history that surrounds the club and the huge support they have. Sometimes at 3pm on Saturday afternoon that can be too much for players but I don't anticipate for one moment it will be too much for my players.

"We're enjoying what we're doing at the moment and the way we're playing. We're very positive we can go there and get a good result. From our point of view it's about playing to the best of our abilities and making sure we cause problems for Manchester United."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/HughesUnitedPreview.aspx#ixzz1IrTUf0eW

White Noise

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/04/football-news/premier-league-preview-manchester-united-v-fulham

Premier League preview: Manchester United v Fulham

Date: 7th April 2011 at 11:28 am

Fresh from their Champions League triumph over Chelsea, Manchester United return to the business of the Premier League against Fulham on Saturday.The Red Devils are within grasping distance of their 19th league title after Arsenal gifted them an eight-point buffer at the top of the table, and it seems Sir Alex Ferguson's men have timed their run-in to perfection.

Wayne Rooney in particular is in sterling form with eight goals in his last eight league appearances – a far cry from his early-season struggles.

But none of that will matter, as the 25-year-old is unavailable due to his bizarre behaviour against West Ham United last weekend.

Rooney unleashed a curse-laden tirade at television cameras following his hat-trick goal and was subsequently slapped with a two-game ban – upheld on appeal – by the Football Association.

It is a shame for United as Rooney's boots are still smoking after his winner in the Red Devils' 1-0 Champions League defeat of Chelsea on Wednesday.

But if Fulham think they will be facing a toothless opponent at Old Trafford then they are clearly delusional, given United still boat the league's top-scorer Dimitar Berbatov (20 goals) and the mercurial Javier Hernandez (11 goals).

Despite denials to the contrary, it would appear United boss Ferguson has primed his troops for a run at the treble. It would be foolhardy to think the Cottagers can get in the way of that.

Mark Hughes' men are sitting mid-table with 38 points after 31 games, three points shy of seventh-placed Everton but only four points clear of Aston Villa in 16th.

Their form has been solid but not extraordinary – a 3-0 win over Blackpool, a 2-1 loss at Everton, a 3-2 win over Blackburn, a 1-1 draw at Manchester City.

If they have a spark it is United States international Clint Dempsey, whose 10 goals this season have often proved the difference between taking points and dropping them.

But it is Australian goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer who will need to be at his best this week, as the chances will flow thick and fast on Saturday.

Looking at injuries, Fulham defender Aaron Hughes is expected to play despite taking a knock to the head against Blackpool.

Steve Sidwell, who signed from Aston Villa in January, got his first run-on as a substitute against the Seasiders and could find himself with a role in Hughes' starting XI.

For United, midfielder Anderson is probably still a week away from resuming league duties after suffering a knee injury in February, while the match has also come too soon for Darren Fletcher (virus) and John O'Shea (hamstring).

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8435604/Manchester-United-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

Manchester United v Fulham: match preview

Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Manchester United and Fulham at Old Trafford on Saturday April 9, kick-off 15.00 BST.

PREVIEW

MANCHESTER UNITED V FULHAM Saturday, April 09 15:00
Premier League
Old Trafford

By John Ley 6:00AM BST 08 Apr 2011

Saturday, April 9

Manchester United v Fulham
Old Trafford
Kick-off: 15.00 BST.
TV: Highlights, BBC1 Match of the Day.

Tale of the game

Manchester United beat Chelsea 1-0 with a Wayne Rooney goal in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final.

But Rooney is banned for the visit of Fulham – he missed the game in London with injury – and so Javier Hernandez or Dimitar Berbatov will start.

Related Articles
Predict scores and results
12 Jan 2011
Premier League table
03 Apr 2011
Premier League fixtures
04 Apr 2011
United return to the business of securing the Premier League title and, in Fulham, they face opposition they are rarely troubled by at Old Trafford.

In nine Premier League games at home United have won eight and losing just once – in October 2003.

Indeed, in the last 15 league meetings at Old Trafford United have won 14.

And overall, in 31 visits, Fulham have won twice and lost 26.

This season United have scored 68 goals, the most in the table and more than double Fulham's 36.

But they have conceded almost the same; United have let in 32 while Fulham have been beaten on 33 times.

And between them they have kept 24 clean sheets (United 13, Fulham 11).

United are the only team yet to lose at home; their last league loss at Old Trafford was a year ago – April 3, 2010 – against Chelsea.

Since then they have gone 17 games without loss, winning 16, drawing one and taking 49 points from a possible 51.

By contrast Fulham arrive with one away win this season, at Stoke, and 11 points from a possible 45.

Fulham beat Blackpool 3-0 on Sunday; if they win again it will be the first time 43 games that they will have won consecutive games.

United hope to have Rio Ferdinand available after the defender returned at Stamford Bridge. And Jonny Evans and Paul Scholes are available after suspension.

But Owen Hargreaves, Darren Fletcher, John O'Shea, Anders Lindegaard and Fabio are all missing. Fulham have a doubt over Damien Duff while Philippe Senderos is still missing.

United (probable, 4-4-2): Van der Sar; Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs; Park; Hernandez.
Fulham (probable, 4-4-2): Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido; Duff, Murphy, Etuhu, Dempsey; Zamora, Dembele.
Referee: Mike Jones. Matches: 21. R3 Y73.

This season: Fulham United 2.

Last season: Fulham 3 United 0, United 3 Fulham 0.

Stat of the game: Fulham have failed to score in their last three league visits to Old Trafford.

Betting tip: Only one winner; 2-0 to United at 13-2.

White Noise

http://takefootball.co.uk/?p=1053

Hughes likely to lose Gera battle as Hungarian edges towards Fulham exit

2011 April 7

by admin

Mark Hughes admits Zoltan Gera may opt to leave Fulham when his contract expires at the end of the season, despite him still being wanted by the London club.
The Hungarian international has been in England since the summer of 2004, when he was snapped up by West Bromwich Albion who got almost 140 league appearances from their £1.5million investment. Four years later when his deal at the Hawthorns ran out, Gera opted against penning fresh terms and instead headed to the capital.

Last season the 31-year-old was playing a key role for Roy Hodgson's side, as they embarked on a scintillating run which led to a UEFA Europa League final. Under the guidance of Hughes, though, the midfielder has played more of a bit-part role, despite him being named as the fans' player of the year for the 2009-2010 campaign.

Gera has featured in 24 Premier League matches, but only ten of these have come from a starting position. His total time on the pitch equates to roughly twelve games, so it is little wonder, then, that with his contract set to expire in a matter of weeks, he is considering leaving Craven Cottage in search of regular first team football. 

Hughes, although he admits he wants to keep the former Ferencvaros star, accepts that he is fighting a losing battle in his bid to do so. A number of clubs, from England and overseas, have already been linked with the player, and it looks as though he will have the luxury of taking his time reviewing his options when he becomes a free agent.

"I would like Zoltan to remain here, but obviously he would like to play on a more regular basis and I can't guarantee that to any of the players," said Hughes.  "He may feel, and we seem to get that message, that he needs to move elsewhere to get more football that he craves. I hope that is not the case because I would like Zoltan to stay here and he knows that."₁

During the winter Gera requested to leave Fulham on loan, but his request was, perhaps understandably, rejected by Hughes. But since the window closes on January 31 he has failed to start in the Premier League, and he has made just two appearances from the bench, the last of which came in the goalless draw with Chelsea on February 14.

White Noise

Steve Sidwell gears up for Manchester United test

By Paul Warburton

Apr 8 2011

THE amazing tattoo on Steve Sidwell's back is his marriage vows to Krystell – all of them.

So footballers being footballers, his Fulham team-mates have warned him he is in serious danger should he ever get divorced.

The midfielder hopes Manchester United is in serious danger of a Whites surprise at Old Trafford tomorrow (Saturday) after an epic Champions League quarter-final down the road at Chelsea on Wednesday night.

Fulham's comfortable 3-0 breeze past Blackpool on Sunday has renewed optimism the team can get a result in one of the hardest places on the planet.

He said: "They've had a tough game Wednesday – and maybe that could have tired them. But such is the depth of their squad even if they rotate you know you're in for a tough match.

"We've got to make sure we don't switch off for even a second.

"They've been scoring late goals like they did at West Ham last Saturday for years – they even did it in a Champions League final.

"But for all that, this might be a good time to play them."

United striker Wayne Rooney might have incurred the FA's wrath for swearing into a camera at Upton Park – but if he needs a sympathetic shoulder, Sidwell's tattooed one is available.

The Fulham man said: "As a fellow professional I understand that moment when you score. It's difficult and hard to explain, but emotions run high and in a split second, emotions take over – and for me it was a typical heat of the moment thing."

Rooney or no Rooney, the former Chelsea player is also hopeful he gets more time on the pitch and has not ruled out the possibilities of playing a tandem role with Dickson Etuhu.

The two were considered to be in competition for the same defensive midfield spot, but Sunday's second-half substitution of Danny Murphy brought the pair together for the first time.

"It's got possibilities," said Sidwell. "I'll take whatever chance I get to show what I can do, and in a long battling season there's bound to be opportunities for different combinations to get tried.

"I would like to stay in London and win a long contract with Fulham – but at the end of the day I've got to be professional and go to a club that wants me, no matter where it is."

Should Sidwell score the 43rd goal of his career at Old Trafford there is a chance everyone in the 75,000 crowd will see what he promised his wife as he whirls his shirt around his head.

"I don't get as much stick as you might imagine about the tattoos," added Sidwell. "You mention Jonathan Greening's tattoos – but apart from me and him there's still a fair bit of ink flying around the Fulham dressing room."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/04/08/steve-sidwell-gears-up-for-manchester-united-test-82029-28480312/#ixzz1IupPGYjN

White Noise

http://redrants.com/high-flying-united-host-fulham-ahead-of-crunch-chelsea-clash/

High-Flying United Host Fulham Ahead Of Crunch Chelsea Clash

Eddie Griffin @ 7:00

Coming after arguably our biggest win of the season and before our biggest game of the season, Saturday's visit from Fulham could well be a troublesome match, but even without our player of the moment, there shouldn't be any letdown from a United side that's as high on confidence as it's been all season.

United welcome Mark Hughes back to his old haunts off the heels of Wednesday night's 1-0 Champions League quarterfinal win at Chelsea, their first win at Stamford Bridge in almost nine years.

With the second leg of the Chelsea tie coming on Tuesday, you would have to expect some key names to sit on Saturday. That could include Rio Ferdinand, who made his return and played the full 90 minutes against Chelsea after it was initially feared that he was lost for the season. Given that his presence is far more important for Tuesday than it is for Saturday, it would appear likely that Chris Smalling will slot into the starting lineup to face his former side.

One player won't definitely won't be on the pitch against Fulham is Wayne Rooney, whose two-match suspension for swearing in front of the TV cameras after sealing his hat trick against West Ham was upheld. With Rooney in fine form at the moment, it'll be one less worry for the visitors, but there's a good chance that he would have been rested on Saturday even if he wasn't suspended. Not only is there the quick turnaround to consider, but Dimitar Berbatov deserves an extended runout after being used primarily as a substitute recently.

A win would put United 10 points clear of Arsenal at the top of the Premier League, and with the struggling Gunners visiting Blackpool on Sunday, there could well be an opportunity to come out of this weekend even closer to #19, even with Arsene Wenger's side still possessing a game in hand.

The chances are high for United to do their part, as we've won six in a row at home against Fulham since a 3-1 loss in October of 2003. In those six wins, we've outscored the Cottagers 18-3, and we've held them scoreless in each of their last three trips to Old Trafford.

There's no indication that things will be any different this time around. Fulham have posted only one win away from home this season, which is why they're 10th instead of making a serious run at challenging Liverpool for sixth.

We let a win slip away against this same side in August in a 2-2 draw, the first of United's many rollercoaster away trips this season. United took a late lead through a Brede Hangeland own goal, and shortly thereafter, Nani missed a penalty that would've all but salted the game away. That proved to be costly, as Hangeland atoned for his mistake by heading home the equalizer.

Those dropped points and all of the others that were dropped in similar positions haven't come back to be as hurtful as it was once thought they could be, but with that said, it sure would've been nice to be even closer to the title than we are right now, wouldn't it?

With Clint Dempsey having his best Premier League season and Bobby Zamora back and firing in the goals after being out of action for more than five months, Fulham have the firepower to cause a few problems a side that won't be at full strength. But even without Rooney, United certainly have more than enough firepower and quality of their own to score a seventh straight home win over the Cottagers.

Prediction: Manchester United 2-0 Fulham

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/49036/manchester-united-vs-fulham/preview

Manchester United - Fulham Preview: Hosts aim to stretch lead at top of Premier League table

Red Devils fight to solidify spot in first place without suspended Wayne Rooney as Cottagers manager Mark Hughes looks forward to Old Trafford return

By Matt Monaghan

PROBABLE LINE-UPS

Manchester United: Kuszczak; O'Shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Scholes, Nani; Hernandez, Berbatov.

Fulham: Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido; Dempsey, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff; Zamora, Dembele.

DID YOU KNOW?

•In 71 meetings in all competitions, Manchester United have won 42 to Fulham's meager 13, with 16 draws also registered.
•The aggregrate scores between the teams in the last 10 meetings in all competitions is United 24-9 Fulham.
•Manchester United have dropped just two points at Old Trafford in the Premier League this season from 15 games.
•Fulham have not gained a point at Old Trafford since their 3-1 Premier League victory on October 25, 2003.
•Fulham sit in 10th place in the Premier League table but would sink to 15th if just away results were considered.
•Fulham sit top of the Premier League disciplinary table and are the only team in the division not to have a player sent off this season.
•While Wayne Rooney is suspended, 20-goal stand-in Dimitar Berbatov is the Premier League's top scorer this season.
•United have won 70 per cent of their Premier League games with Wayne Rooney in the starting line-up, compared to just 45 per cent when he has been missing or on the substitute's bench.

•Clint Dempsey's 10 Premier League strikes for Fulham has put him in behind only Newcastle United's Kevin Nolan in the race to be the Premier League's top scoring midfielder this season.
•Fulham's 38 points from 31 games has given them the same tally as last season.

LAST MEETING

August 22, 2010: Fulham 2-2 Manchester United

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland scored for both teams as Nani's late missed penalty was punished to see the spoils shared at Craven Cottage.

Follow the Premier League LIVE on Goal.com:
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Goal.com Live Scores!

Field Report Manchester United  Fulham Head to HeadPremier League ‎(EPL)‎ 22 Aug 2010 Fulham 2 - Manchester United 2   
Premier League ‎(EPL)‎ 14 Mar 2010 Manchester United 3 - Fulham 0   
Premier League ‎(EPL)‎ 19 Dec 2009 Fulham 3 - Manchester United 0   
Premier League ‎(EPL)‎ 21 Mar 2009 Fulham 2 - Manchester United 0   
FA Cup ‎(FA)‎ 7 Mar 2009 Fulham 0 - Manchester United 4   

Last Five Matches6 Apr 2011 Chelsea 0 - Manchester United 1 UCL
2 Apr 2011 West Ham United 2 - Manchester United 4 EPL
19 Mar 2011 Manchester United 1 - Bolton Wanderers 0 EPL
15 Mar 2011 Manchester United 2 - Olympique de Marseille 1 UCL
12 Mar 2011 Manchester United 2 - Arsenal 0 FA
3 Apr 2011 Fulham 3 - Blackpool 0 EPL
19 Mar 2011 Everton 2 - Fulham 1 EPL
5 Mar 2011 Fulham 3 - Blackburn Rovers 2 EPL
27 Feb 2011 Manchester City 1 - Fulham 1 EPL
20 Feb 2011 Fulham 0 - Bolton Wanderers 1 FA

Available Squads29 Tomasz Kuszczak Goalkeeper
22 John O'Shea Defender
5 Rio Ferdinand Defender
15 Nemanja Vidic Defender
3 Patrice Evra Defender
25 Antonio Valencia Midfielder
16 Michael Carrick Midfielder
18 Paul Scholes Midfielder
17 Nani Midfielder
14 Chicharito Striker
9 Dimitar Berbatov Striker
1 Mark Schwarzer Goalkeeper
6 Chris Baird Defender
18 Aaron Hughes Defender
5 Brede Hangeland Defender
3 Carlos Amoldo Salcido  Defender
23 Clint Dempsey Midfielder
13 Danny Murphy Midfielder
20 Dickson Etuhu Midfielder
16 Damien Duff Midfielder
25 Bobby Zamora Striker
18 Moussa Dembele Striker
Players to Watch Dimitar Berbatov 
Position: Striker
Squad Number: 9
Games Goals YC RC
28 20 1 0
With Rooney sat in stands, Berbatov will once again be the man manager Sir Alex Ferguson looks to pick up the goalscoring baton.

After two seasons of underachievement, the Bulgarian showed no issue with the task as he carried United through the early months of the season when Rooney was last sidelined. A repeat of his match-winning antics against Bolton Wanderers last time out at Old Trafford is just what United need to edge the Premier League finishing line ever closer. Bobby Zamora 
Position: Striker
Squad Number: 25
Games Goals YC RC
7 4 1 0

It's not just United who have missed their star striker for much of the season. For Fulham, the recent return of Bobby Zamora has added a cutting edge to a pedestrian front-line.

After warming the bench at Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United, the England international has blossomed in his current surroundings and bagged a brace against Blackpool last weekend. The big target-man plundered a depleted United defence last term and will hope to cause similar chaos even against the first choice stars.Probable Lineups   29  22  5  15  3  25  16  18  17  14  9  1  6  18  5  3  23  13  20  16  25  18 PredictionUnited have finally shown signs in recent weeks of clicking into the form expected of Premier League champions. With the euphoria from the mid-week Champions League victory against Chelsea coursing through them, expect another victory to keep them on course for domestic supremacy.

Editor's Prediction  Manchester United 2 Fulham 0

White Noise

http://www.manchesterunited-mad.co.uk/news/prev/fm_preview_manchester_united_v_fulham_09_apr_2011_665506/index.shtml

FM Preview: Manchester United v Fulham 09 Apr 2011

By Footymad

Updated Friday, 8th April 2011

The game between Manchester United and Fulham in the Premier League on 9th April 2011 at 15:00 takes centre stage for FootyMad's preview analysis.

History of the Manchester United v Fulham fixture

Manchester United prepare to entertain Fulham at Old Trafford on Saturday afternoon, aiming to maintain a near-perfect record against their opponents. The Red Devils have won 28 of the 33 matches the two teams have contested.

The most recent encounter between these two sides at Old Trafford was just last season, in March 2010, with Manchester United running out comfortable 3-0 winners in a Premier League match.

Recent encounters between the teams

Season Date Team Result Team Comp
2010/2011 Sun 22 Aug Fulham 2 - 2 Man. Utd. Premier League
2009/2010 Sun 14 Mar Man. Utd. 3-0 Fulham Premier League
2009/2010 Sat 19 Dec Fulham 3 - 0 Man. Utd. Premier League
2008/2009 Sat 21 Mar Fulham 2 - 0 Man. Utd. Premier League
2008/2009 Sat 07 Mar Fulham 0 - 4 Man. Utd. F.A. Cup
2008/2009 Wed 18 Feb Man. Utd. 3 - 0 Fulham Premier League
2007/2008 Sat 01 Mar Fulham 0 - 3 Man. Utd. Premier League

For a detailed analysis of the complete head-to-head record between the two sides, click here

Recent respective form guides

Manchester United could not have a more impressive recent home form, having won each of the last six games. These high-scoring games have yielded a total of 11 goals for the Red Devils, with 3 goals against.

In complete contrast to Manchester United, Fulham are having a torrid time on their travels, attaining just 3 draws from the previous six away games. While the Cottagers have hit 5 goals, 8 have hit the back of the wrong net.

Manchester United are currently sitting proudly at the top of the entire league, having collected 66 points from the 31 games played.

Fulham's 38 points from 31 games sees them lie inside the top half of the table, in 10th position.

White Noise

http://backofthenet.markwatsonthecomedian.com/2011/04/08/barry-hayles-statue-erected-outside-neverland-ranch/

Barry Hayles statue erected outside Neverland Ranch

April 8, 2011 | Posted by John Foster

Controversy has erupted over a statue of ex-Fulham striker Barry Hayles that was today unveiled outside Neverland Ranch, the California home of deceased pop star Michael Jackson, to the surprise and bafflement of Jackson fans.

The statue, which portrays Hayles in a hunched, bustling pose instantly familiar to his fans, was commissioned by Janet Jackson, Michael's sister and the executor of his estate, in recognition of her family's devotion to Hayles's life and career.

'From the moment Barry was signed by Kevin Keegan in 1998, Michael was a passionate fan and sincere admirer of the man he liked to call the Lambeth Eusebio,' she told Back Of The Net. 'In fact, it is likely that the shock of seeing Bazza's Leicester relegated in 2009 hastened his death.'

Janet continued: 'Barry Hayles has given the world so much, and he keeps on giving. Just witness his brace in Truro City's win over Cambridge City last weekend. The least we can do as friends of Barry is to give something back, and this statue is the perfect tribute.

But some Jackson fans have reacted badly, with webzines and messageboards decrying the statue, which they feel is inappropriate and an affront to its surroundings. 'Barry Hayles only ever visited the Neverland Ranch once, and everyone knows his karaoke artiste of choice is Dire Straits,' said blogger Leslie Hu. 'I'm all for celebrating Michael's passion for his heroes, but couldn't we have had Geoff Horsfield? Or Bjarne Goldbaek? Why Barry Hayles and not Steve Hayward?'

The Jackson family is standing firm against the storm of protest, however, with older brother Jermaine reportedly telling disgruntled MJ-lovers that 'music fans love [Barry Hayles], and if some stupid fans don't understand and appreciate such a gift, they can go and listen to Ke$ha.'

Barry Hayles has refused to speak to Back Of The Net since 2004 when we reported allegations, never conclusively disproven, that he had eaten all the pies.

White Noise

Winning Ambitions

Friday 8th April 2011

With just seven Barclays Premier League games left, Mark Hughes' side travel to Old Trafford to face league leaders Manchester United on Saturday. While the Whites have got the better of the Reds at Craven Cottage in recent seasons, away visits have been less rewarding.

But speaking ahead of Saturday's encounter, Brede Hangeland is hoping that Fulham will be able to carry their recent form to Old Trafford.

"The match against United is arguably the game of the season," said Hangeland. "Manchester United are the team that everyone wants to beat. Old Trafford is one of those special grounds, but we're not going there as tourists, we're going there with genuine ambitions of doing well.

"We've done well against them at the Cottage, but not so well at their place – so it is about time that we came away with something. We're playing well at the moment, so I can see no reason why we can't.

"Sunday's win did much for our position in the table, but that could still change – it's that tight. We still need to pick up points and Old Trafford would be a good place to do that."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/HangelandManUnitedPreview.aspx#ixzz1Iv4mDvwX