Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (10.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 10, 2011, 12:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Manchester United 2 Fulham 0: It's a stroll in the sun for Fergie's shadow men

By Rob Draper

Last updated at 12:40 AM on 10th April 2011

These are carefree days at Manchester United. Old Trafford, bathed in spring sunshine, witnessed the most routine of victories from the club's back-up players against insipid Fulham.

A record-breaking and hugely satisfying 19th league title looms as United moved 10 points clear; a Champions League semi-final against Schalke is a distinct possibility, and a Wembley date against noisy neighbours a mouthwatering prospect.

So benign is the atmosphere at Old Trafford at present that owners Joel, Bryan and Avram Glazer risked a visit unaccompanied by a phalanx of minders, and nowadays there is barely a green-and-gold scarf in sight. Premier League titles, it seems, not religion, is the opium of the masses.

1-0: Dimitar Berbatov opens the scoring for Manchester United

It was difficult to recall that this is supposedly an embattled club, with fans raging against owners, the manager against the authorities and the star player against who knows whom.

A five-match touchline ban for Sir Alex Ferguson has coincided with three successive wins, while the absence of Wayne Rooney mattered not a jot yesterday.

Ferguson can stop tilting at windmills; he is winning all the battles that matter.

Tougher tests lie ahead this week, and on those games their season will be judged. But it was difficult to escape the general aura of wellbeing yesterday - even Michael Owen got a run out.

The only real blot on the landscape was Ferguson's horse, What A Friend, pulling up at the Grand National, but nothing that happened inside the stadium yesterday should have unduly troubled the wily old master.

2-0: Antonio Valencia heads the ball in from close range

Not that Ferguson saw it that way. 'I don't think it was a job well done at all,' he grumbled. 'But winning is the name of the game and we showed that great determination. It was a hot sticky day and a lot of people were sunbathing.'

Fulham players mainly. 'You have to give yourself a platform if you're coming to places like this,' said their manager Mark Hughes. 'You need everyone playing well, you need your chances to go in and you really need to compete, which we didn't in the first half.'

Fulham had started as though they had genuinely considered the prospect of making the game a contest. Just 50 seconds were on the clock when Gael Kakuta forced Tomasz Kuszczak into a smart save and five minutes later the Polish goalkeeper, in for Edwin van der Sar, had to touch Moussa Dembele's shot wide.

Fulham's best chance, however, fell to Bobby Zamora. Played in between United's defence, he had clear sight of goal but pulled his effort wide.

Soon after they were a goal behind, and their desire for a struggle appeared to dissipate.

United took the lead when Nani, a constant threat and playing like a man determined to book his place in the Champions League quarter-final, wriggled from two challenges, exchanged passes with Anderson then placed the ball at the feet of Dimitar Berbatov, who was given the attacker's benefit of a marginal offside decision.

His finish was a confident sidefoot past Mark Schwarzer, his 21st goal in the league this season. Not bad for a support act.

Reasons to be cheerful: Ferguson's United are ten points clear in the title race

The second, 'a comedy of errors', according to Hughes, was also inspired by Nani. Patrice Evra chipped a ball down the wing for the Portugal winger, who delightfully slipped past the hopelessly rampaging Schwarzer.

He then steadied himself for a cross, which deflected off Aaron Hughes for Antonio Valencia, almost on the goalline, to nod in.

In fairness, a half-time encounter with Hughes did something to spark Fulham out of their lethargy. A sustained period of possession eventually resulted in a decent shot from Eidur Gudjohnsen being tipped wide by Kuszczak - not that referee Michael Jones, who awarded a goalkick, noticed.

But the derision that greeted Kakuta's 65th minute free-kick, which almost reached the second tier of the East Stand, gave a better indication of the seriousness with which Old Trafford was treating Fulham's challenge.

Zamora's free-kick on 73 minutes was at least close and Chris Baird should have done better than shoot wide as United slackened their intensity and were, as their manager said, increasingly drawn deep.

Indeed, when Berbatov troubled Schwarzer in the 82nd minute it was their first strike on goal in almost 20 minutes.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1375143/Manchester-United-2-Fulham-0-Reds-points-clear.html#ixzz1J6cW8mIP

White Noise

Who's a Clever boy, then? United's loan star prepares to take on Chelsea

By Chris Wheeler

Last updated at 3:46 PM on 9th April 2011

EXCLUSIVE

For someone who has made a habit of serenading his new team-mates with the Bill Withers classic Ain't No Sunshine, Tom Cleverley certainly has a bright future.

Three times Cleverley has announced his arrival on loan from Manchester United by singing the tune as part of his initiation, and fans of Leicester City, Watford and Wigan Athletic will vouch that one of the most exciting midfield prospects in the Barclays Premier League can be just as entertaining with a ball at his feet.

'It's my party trick, ' says Cleverley. 'It's a bit of a tradition at all clubs. If it's your first away trip you'll be singing that night. We all eat together and then you have to get up on the chair.'

He's no slouch: Midfielder Tom Cleverley has his eyes on a regular place at Manchester United

Not every young player would choose Championship football or a relegation battle with Wigan over the high life at Old Trafford, but that is a sign of Cleverley's determination to further his career and prove that Sir Alex Ferguson is right to have such high expectations of him.

On Saturday, the England Under 21 international goes to Stamford Bridge with Wigan looking to do his parent club a favour by killing off Chelsea's faint title hopes.
However, if singing for his supper is simple enough for the boy from Bradford, the same could not be said for his United initiation at a hotel in Pretoria on the team's 2008 summer trip to South Africa.

'You have to do a little speech,' he recalls. 'One of the experienced players will ask you a couple of questions, and I got Giggsy. I was 18. It is daunting and that's why they do these things. It's not easy to stand up in front of all those names but you have to. It makes you a bigger person.'

Cleverley knows all about becoming a bigger person. Just how much he has had to grow up is clear from the compilation DVD given to him by his dad, Andrew, for his 21st birthday last August.

From the tiny boy dwarfed by his team-mates in the United U15s as he celebrates scoring on a barren pitch in Kenya in 2004, to the young man claiming a fine goal for Ferguson's side in the Houston Astrodome last summer, it is clear Cleverley has matured into the player his coaches knew he could be if only there was more of him.

Spurred on: Cleverley featured in the hard-fought draw with Tottenham

At 16, they put him on a different scholarship to the other boys who went into full-time training. He was asked to split his time between United and two more years of school - football's equivalent of 'don't give up the day job'.

'I was never knocked back but I'd say I was doubted,' admits Cleverley, who now stands at 5ft 9in. 'I've never really had it easy in my career. Compared to everyone else in the team I was really small. It was hard for me.

'I always had the confidence that one day I'd be good enough and I always had to let my football do the talking instead of bullying people on the pitch. Even now in the Premier League you see so many big athletes.

'But you just look at three players who were up for the Ballon d'Or - Xavi, Iniesta and Messi. None of them are over 5ft 10in.'

A versatile midfielder with an eye for goal, Cleverley might not measure up to Messi just yet, but he has passed every test so far. When Ferguson handed him a first-team chance in South Africa, Cleverley came up with a goal against Kaizer Chiefs. He did the same against Valencia the following year and two more followed on last summer's tour of North America.

Inspiration: Cleverley's great uncle, Reg Stratton

Before joining Wigan on loan he enjoyed spells in the Championship at Leicester and Watford. It is a period he believes turned him from a boy into a man.

'Living away from home has never been a problem for me,' says Cleverley, who was 11 when he chose United ahead of Leeds and Blackburn.

'I was in club digs by the age of 15 or 16. Although it's fantastic growing up at United, there's a point where you want a taste of first-team football.

'It's a bit strange to keep going out on loan. I don't think anyone can walk into a club and feel at home on the first day but I've gotten used to it. I've had four clubs and hopefully this time next year it's still four clubs and I'm playing for United.'

Cleverley and Danny Welbeck are the only members of their United youth team now playing in the top flight, but Ferguson is not short of young talent. He continues to place great faith in youth, insisting there is no value in the transfer market, and Cleverley sees comparisons with this generation and that of Beckham, Scholes, Butt and the Neville brothers.

'I'd much rather the manager didn't buy players because he trusts the youth he's got,' says Cleverley. Hopefully we can prove him right. It's going to be very hard to emulate what they did but we'll give it our best shot.

'There are comparisons. Me, Danny Welbeck and Chris Smalling are with the England Under 21s, which makes us closer, and there's a really good vibe around all the young lads. I think there are 12 or 13 players under 24 at United - Javier Hernandez, the Da Silva twins, Bebe, Gabby Obertan, Darron Gibson, Jonny Evans. There are plenty of lads there well capable of wearing the United shirt.'

Cleverley, whose great uncle Reg Stratton played alongside Johnny Haynes at Fulham, admits that Beckham is something of a role model.

'I've never had the blistering pace that other players have had so I always looked to try to play like Beckham. I try to get a bit of Beckham, a bit of Scholes and people have mentioned Park Ji-sung and his work-rate in midfield. They are all great players and I'd love to achieve what they have.

'Growing up at United you learn how to deal with the fame that's ahead. Your feet are always on the ground and you never feel like you've made it.'

Cleverley certainly speaks with a maturity beyond his years, even though there are the obligatory trappings of footballer fame at his Manchester apartment - the Range Rover, the 60in television, and a black gloss pool table with red cloth in United's colours.

He is almost as handy with a cue as he is with a football. Only the other week he was approached by  a stranger at his local snooker hall.

Loan star: Cleverley has impressed at all the clubs has has played for

'The guy had been watching me and came up and said, "Do you fancy coming down on a Tuesday or Wednesday night and playing for our team?". I told him I'm normally busy midweek!'

Coming from Yorkshire, it is hardly surprising that Cleverley is into rugby league and cricket - 'I was a batsman with a little leg spin in my locker' - and also plays off a golf handicap of 15 with little practice. But it's table tennis where the battle really begins.

'That's got really competitive with the England Under 21s,' he says. 'There's me and Jordan Henderson fighting for the title and Danny Welbeck, Kyle Walker, Michael Mancienne and Jack Cork all trying to get up to our level. Jordan's trying to take over my trophy but he's not there yet.'

Contrary to the words of his signature song, it isn't easy to put Cleverley in the shade.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1375088/Manchester-Uniteds-loan-star-Tom-Cleverley-prepares-Chelsea.html#ixzz1J6ecg6lK

White Noise

There are about 10,000 registered dog walkers who claim to provide scrupulous care for dogs. They charge from £10 to £30 to walk a dog for an hour, inclusive of pick-up and drop-off. Other dogs owned by the same person can be exercised for an extra £5 to £10.

An elite group of pet walkers in London and the South-East exist to pamper the pets of celebrity clients such as Sienna Miller – who has two rescue terrier crosses, Porgy and Bess – and Fulham footballer Danny Murphy, who has a Bernese mountain dog called Jim and a golden labrador, Henry.

Firms such as Pets In The City, run by Sarah Marris, and Very Important Pets, run by trained veterinary nurse Louise Root, belong to a premier league of companies that offer a personal one-to-one dog service for about £35.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375204/A-new-dog-walker-Bella--just-thousands-UKs-fastest-growing-job.html#ixzz1J6imLeDa

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/09/manchester-united-fulham-premier-league

Manchester United stroll closer to the title against statuesque Fulham

Share58  Comments (267) Observer report

Manchester United 2 Berbatov 12, Valencia 32
Fulham 0 

Paul Wilson at Old Trafford guardian.co.uk, Saturday 9 April 2011 17.14

Manchester United's Dimitar Berbatov celebrates after scoring against Fulham Photograph: Jon Super/AP

Sir Alex Ferguson appealed for the famous fighting spirit to see Manchester United through the crucial games that remain, though there was really no need against Fulham, who were about as convincing as their new statue and nowhere near as frightening.

United are now 10 points clear at the top of the Premier League with six games to play and, like this match, the title race no longer appears much of a contest.

This was more like a lap of honour than the later stages of a marathon, an undemanding stroll in the sun in front of warmly appreciative supporters in their shirt-sleeves.

United have not won anything yet, though it certainly feels as though the league is in the bag. Despite making eight changes from his midweek Champions League line-up and playing only one man up front, Ferguson still saw his side collect the points while barely breaking a sweat.

While the manager's horse might have pulled up in the Grand National, it is going to take a collapse of Devon Loch proportions to halt his team's run to an historic 19th title.

"It's all about winning at this stage, but we were a bit casual and lackadaisical in the second half," Ferguson said. "We played well in the first half and could have had a couple more, but we were wasteful in possession in the second half and could have been punished for that.

"Fulham are a good team, they had chances to score. I don't think it was a risk making so many changes, you have to trust your squad and we had quite a few players who needed games.

"I think I picked the right team, but it was slow in the second half. It was a hot day and I think a lot of people were sunbathing. The supporters must have been saving their voices for Tuesday against Chelsea."

For all that, when United took the lead in the 12th minute it was almost against the run of play.

Fulham had not been causing the home defence any great problems, yet, even by that early stage, they had managed three decent goal attempts – Tomasz Kuszczak saving from Gaël Kakuta and Moussa Dembélé before Bobby Zamora blazed wide when he should have at least hit the target.

Dimitar Berbatov's 21st goal of the season put an end to all that, confirming that, even with just the Bulgarian spearheading the attack, United carry a valid goal threat and, once behind, Fulham accepted their lot quite meekly.

Though Berbatov was in at the beginning of the move that brought the goal, he had taken up a position as a spectator on the edge of the box as Nani beat a couple of players in an attempt to score one of the solo goals of the season. Berbatov was only just level when the ball broke to him after Nani's shot rebounded from Chris Baird, but the flag stayed down and the striker made short work of beating Mark Schwarzer with a shot into the bottom corner.

There was also a suspicion of offside when Nani set up United's second, racing on to Patrice Evra's pass to beat the offside trap and evade Schwarzer's desperate rush from his area. The goalkeeper having sold himself too early, it was a simple matter for Nani to weigh up his options, though there was still a pleasing elegance about the way he calmly chipped the ball across goal for Antonio Valencia to nod in from close range.

Or at least it appeared that way at first... replays suggested Nani had been trying to shoot and the ball reached Valencia via Aaron Hughes's attempted goalline clearance.

Fulham hardly bothered to protest either of the borderline decisions, possibly because they were relieved United had not stirred themselves sufficiently to go further ahead.

Even with Wayne Rooney suspended, Ryan Giggs rested and Javier Hernández unused on the bench, the home side had chances. Anderson should have scored when Berbatov whisked past Brede Hangeland and cut the ball back to him, and when Nani, once more, evaded Baird and the rest of the Fulham cover on the left, his final delivery missed the three red shirts waiting on the six-yard line.

Fulham improved when Eidur Gudjohnsen came on in the second half and the substitute came close to scoring with a drive from outside the area that flew only inches wide, while Zoltan Gera missed an even better chance 10 minutes from the end. With Zamora also putting a free-kick narrowly wide, Fulham had enough opportunities to take something from the game as United coasted, though they seemed fearful of increasing the urgency in case it inspired United to step up theirs.

If the title race ended early with last weekend's results, as many suspect may turn out to be the case, then here was an early end-of-season game. It seemed to suit both sides.

"We never looked like getting back on terms after going two down," Fulham's manager, Mark Hughes, admitted. "The first was offside, but it was still a poor goal to concede. We didn't really ask enough questions of United and you always sensed they could up the tempo if they needed to.

"They are ticking off the games now. It's a big ask, but you've got to give them a chance of the Treble. If anyone can manage their resources over the remaining games, this club can. They understand what it takes."

THE FANS' PLAYER RATINGS AND VERDICT
SHAUN O'DONNELL, Observer reader I think we'll get No19 now. We keep winning and the others are running out of games. I thought we'd steamroll them, the way it started – Nani did some brilliant things first half – but after the second goal it turned into a bit of a damp squib. Fulham looked like a team waiting to go on holiday. We've got lots of games coming up, each one like a cup final, so it was good to have a more low-key game today.

The fan's player ratings Kuszczak 6; O'Shea 7, Smalling 7, Vidic 7, Evra 6; Scholes 7; Valencia 8 (Owen 73 6), Gibson 7, Anderson 7 (F da Silva 77 6), Nani 9 (Carrick 87 n/a); Berbatov 8

EDDIE FREMANTLE, Observer reader We created three good chances in the first 10 minutes, but once they scored it was game over. It was an end-of-season performance, including a horrible catalogue of errors for the second goal, and we wanted a bit more than that because they had rested a few. Gudjohnsen was a bright spark when he came on in the second half, but Vidic outclassed Zamora all game and we missed Duff a lot.

The fan's player ratings Schwarzer 5; Baird 6, Hughes 7, Hangeland 5, Salcido 5; Kakuta 4, Etuhu 5 (Gera 68 6), Murphy 7 (Greening 82 n/a), Dempsey 5; Dembélé 5 (Gudjohnsen 57 8), Zamora 6

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3284900,00.html

Nani inspires United

Portuguese ace sets up Berbatov and Valencia goals at OT

Last updated: 9th April 2011   

Man of the match: Nani. The Portuguese ace provided the assists for both of United's goals.

Goal of the match: Dimitar Berbatov's, although there was a hint of offside. Nani produced a fine run through the Fulham defence, played a one-two with Anderson before laying the ball off for the Bulgarian to slot home.

Attempt of the match: Eidur Gudjohnsen. Tried a long range effort which went just wide of Tomasz Kuszczak's left post, with replays showing the keeper had got a touch on it.

Save of the match: Kuszczak's from Gudjohnsen, although the match officials missed it and gave a goal kick.

Moment of the match: Antonio Valencia's second goal which gave the Cottagers a mountain to climb.

Controversy of the match: Berbatov's opener could well have been flagged for offside but Fulham can have no complaints about the defeat.

Talking point: Can United win a record 19th title? After another solid display - and clean sheet - who can stop them?.

Nani inspired Manchester United to beat Fulham 2-0 and move 10 points clear at the top of the table and a step closer to a record 19th title.

The Portuguese ace made a great run through the Fulham defence to set up Dimitar Berbatov's opener on 12 minutes, although there was a hint of offside.

Nani then went around the advancing Mark Schwarzer before his shot was deflected by Aaron Hughes for Antonio Valencia to nod home just after the half hour mark.

The win sends Sir Alex Ferguson's side 10 points clear of second-placed Arsenal, who have two games in hand.

There was no Grand National glory for Ferguson, whose horse What A Friend failed to land the honours at Aintree.

But in a football sense at least, it must be quite nice being Ferguson at the minute.

Robbed of Wayne Rooney's services for a couple of games thanks, in his eyes, to some unjust treatment from the Football Association, the United boss could just pluck another striker from his impressive roster.

In this instance it was Berbatov, the Premier League's top scorer and a man who bagged five in one game earlier this season.

The Bulgarian had only started one league game since that dismal defeat at Wolves over two months ago, the equally miserable loss at Liverpool. On home soil at least though, the striker is a man to be trusted.

Early on, it did look like he was cursing when Nani ran into a crowd of Fulham defenders on the edge of the area instead of playing a simple pass to the flanks.

Mockery

But, making a mockery of his absence from the seven-man shortlist for PFA player of the year, Nani squeezed a pass to Anderson, then flicked the return to his left for Berbatov on 12 minutes.

TV replays indicated the striker was just offside. It was very tight though and Berbatov was not hanging around as he slotted his shot beyond Mark Schwarzer.

It was exactly what United were looking for so early in the contest and the points should have been wrapped up when Berbatov skipped past Carlos Salcido and Brede Hangeland by the touchline and burst into the box before rolling a pass back to Anderson.

Goalscoring, though, is not the returning Brazilian's forte. Back after a nine-match absence with a knee injury, Anderson never looked like improving a return of two goals in 121 previous appearances and dribbled a terrible effort wide.

United did get their second though, on 32 minutes when Schwarzer inexplicably raced to the touchline to try and make a clearance he was never going to manage given Nani had the speed to get there first.

The Portugal winger showed his selfish streak by going for goal himself rather than present Valencia with a tap-in.

Hughes did it instead, turning Nani's shot away with his head but merely offering Valencia the chance to nod home from close range as a consequence.

It was Valencia's first goal since the Community Shield and his return to action from a major ankle injury suffered one month later is another reason Ferguson has been rejoicing.

After an enterprising start, Fulham had been overwhelmed.

Retained spirit

They retained enough spirit to bring an outstanding save from Tomasz Kuszczak, though, as substitute Eidur Gudjohnsen curled a shot goalwards from 25 yards.

It was a confusing piece of play all round as, from their angle, the Fulham fans thought it had gone in and referee Mike Jones awarded a goal-kick rather than the corner which would have been due reward for Kuszczak.

The game drifted onwards in such a mundane manner, Ferguson could have used the telephone installed in the directors' box to overcome communication problems during his five-match touchline ban to keep up with events at Liverpool.

He didn't though, limiting himself to a couple of conversations with coach Rene Meulensteen as he made the substitutions required to keep his players fresh for Tuesday's UEFA Champions League return with Chelsea.

Anderson and Berbatov were both denied by Schwarzer, the first after another uncharacteristic mistake from the veteran Australian.

By the end, even John O'Shea was trying his luck, advancing from his right-back role to let fly from the edge of the area.

Paul Scholes had a go as well. They were both out of luck - just as Ferguson had been - but as they approach a week that starts with that Champions League decider with the Blues and ends at Wembley against Manchester City, the overall United picture is rosy indeed as they aim to repeat 1999's Treble.

Manchester United
Team Statistics
Fulham

2 Goals

2 1st Half Goals

7 Shots on Target

6 Shots off Target

6 Blocked Shots

8 Corners

12 Fouls

3 Offsides

0 Yellow Cards

0 Red Cards

82.2 Passing Success

14 Tackles

64.3 Tackles Success

48 Possession

44.7 Territorial Advantage

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9448841.stm

Man Utd   2 - 0   Fulham

Manchester United dominated after Berbatov (right) put his side ahead

By Paul Fletcher 

Manchester United opened up a 10-point lead at the top of the Premier League as they brushed aside Fulham.

The recalled Dimitar Berbatov opened the scoring with a first-time finish after Nani played him in.

Aaron Hughes then cleared a Nani cross into the path of Antonio Valencia, who headed home United's second.

Tomasz Kuszczak made a superb save from Fulham substitute Eidur Gudjohnsen after the break, while Mark Schwarzer stopped a strike from Darron Gibson.

Overall, it was a very comfortable afternoon for United, who dominated the opening half and had all but secured victory by the break.

Sir Alex Ferguson, still serving a touchline ban, watched from the stands but it was not a perfect afternoon for the United manager as What A Friend, his horse in the Grand National, pulled up with two fences left to jump.

There were no such problems at Old Trafford, as Ferguson's team built a healthy lead and never looked like being caught.

United have dropped only two points at home in the league this season and despite eight changes from the team that defeated Chelsea in the Champions League on Tuesday, they looked dangerous and purposeful against a Fulham side that defeated Blackpool 3-0 last weekend.

Nani was particularly effective on the right for the home side, with the Portugal international catching the eye with his pace and direct running.

However, United's advantage at the top of the table will be reduced to seven points if Arsenal, who have two games in hand, defeat Blackpool on Sunday.

Fulham actually made an extremely bright start to the match, with Kuszczak saving long-range strikes from Gael Kakuta and Moussa Dembele, while Bobby Zamora fired wastefully over after a deflection off Paul Scholes gave him a decent sight of goal.

Nani had a shot deflected wide early in the contest and he was heavily involved in his team's opening goal after 12 minutes.

At the end of a mazy, slaloming run that included an exchange of passes with Anderson, Nani slipped the ball through to Berbatov for the Bulgarian to slot home his 22nd goal of the campaign.

It was a composed first-time finish from Berbatov but there was a definite suspicion of offside when he collected the ball.

United took control after scoring and the remainder of the game had the feel of a testimonial fixture as the home team showcased their extensive repertoire of skills.

Anderson should have finished a sweeping move but dragged his shot horribly wide from 16 yards while Nani could not quite deflect a header from Chris Smalling towards goal.

However, Nani was again heavily involved as United scored their second, rampaging down the right and eluding Schwarzer, who had charged rashly out from his goal, before the winger shot from a tight angle.

Nani's effort was partially cleared by Aaron Hughes but the ball deflected to Valencia, who had the simplest of finishes.

It could so easily have been three before the break but Hughes cut out a square ball across goal with several team-mates queuing up to slot home.
United were not quite as dominant after the interval but, nonetheless, Anderson drew a decent save from Schwarzer after Brede Hangeland squandered possession in his own half.

Fulham threatened through substitute Gudjohnsen, who drew a superb fingertip save from Kuszczak with a curling 25-yard strike that went unnoticed by referee Mike Jones, while Zamora was inches away with a free-kick.

Right-back Chris Baird also had a decent opportunity but he shot over at the far post.

But the majority of traffic continued to head towards the Fulham goal, with Darron Gibson attempting to pick his spot from 18 yards but failing to get sufficient power on his strike, while Scholes shot over from a similar distance.

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3518755/Man-United-2-Fulham-0.html

Man United 2 Fulham 0  

Published: 09 Apr 2011

Add a comment (188)

MARK HUGHES saw Manchester United sweep aside his team - then tipped them for the Treble.

Goals from Dimitar Berbatov and Antonio Valencia gave United a 10-point lead at the top of the Premier League.

And Fulham boss reckons his former club could match their clean sweep in 1999, with victory in the Champions League and FA Cup as well.

Hughes said: "They could win everything.

"They are ticking games off and when you get to this stage of the season, they have been here, understand what needs to happen and what it takes.

"It is a big ask. Sir Alex would say himself it is very difficult to do.

"But trust me, it is something they will try and achieve. Good luck to them."

But while Hughes was full of praise for United, Old Trafford chief Alex Ferguson blasted his men for taking their foot off the gas after charging into a two-goal lead inside 32 minutes.

He said: "It was a result but I wouldn't say it was a job well done at all.

"We were a bit casual and lackadaisical.

"In the first half we played some very good football and could have scored a couple more.

"But we became wasteful with our possession in the second and might have suffered for that."

Chelsea loan star Gael Kakuta was handed a first start by Fulham boss Hughes.

And he was soon testing Tomasz Kuszczak with a shot from the edge of the area as the visitors made a bright start.

Nani limped away from a challenge with Danny Murphy but the Portugal winger soon recovered and his powerful shot was deflected over by Chris Baird.

United had a penalty appeal turned down by referee Michael Jones when Nemanja Vidic's first-time effort struck Dickson Etuhu on the arm.

Moussa Dembele brought another fingertip save out of Kuszczak at the other end, then Bobby Zamora fired an excellent chance wide after a loose pass from Paul Scholes.

But United hit back in typical fashion with a controversial goal from Berbatov.

Nani eventually jinked his way through a crowd of Fulham players before playing a one-two with Anderson. He flicked a pass to Berbatov, who finished powerfully from what looked an offside position.

United should have doubled their lead when Berbatov skipped past Carlos Salcido and Brede Hangeland and pulled an inviting cross back to Anderson, whose terrible effort dribbled well wide.

Clint Dempsey's radar was off as he attempted an effort from distance before Valencia's shot was deflected wide by Hangeland, with Nani unable to hook home from the corner.

The hosts soon had a second, though, as Nani beat the Fulham offside trap and skipped past Mark Schwarzer who had raced into no-man's land.

Aaron Hughes did enough to stop Nani's effort but Valencia was on hand to nod home the loose ball - his first goal since the Community Shield in August.

Hughes was needed again just before the interval as he intercepted Valencia's cross that Berbatov was preparing to tap in.

Schwarzer was having a nightmare and he rolled out a pass straight to Valencia, who found Anderson only for the Aussie keeper to redeem himself with the save.

Darron Gibson thundered a shot high and wide, Berbatov's volley missed the target before Dempsey's effort was blocked by Vidic.

Eidur Gudjohnsen brought a brilliant save out of Kuszczak with a curling effort from 25 yards.

The Pole - who is expected to be leaving Old Trafford this summer - did not get any credit though as ref Jones awarded a goal-kick.

Kakuta lined up a 30-yard free-kick rather hopefully. And his effort only brought groans from the visiting contingent and laughter from the hosts as it nearly ended in the second tier of the stand.

Schwarzer smothered a Gibson strike at the second attempt after the Irishman had been set up by Nani.

Berbatov's low drive brought another save out of Schwarzer as United coasted to victory.

Man Utd: Kuszczak, O'Shea, Smalling, Vidic, Evra, Gibson, Scholes, Anderson (Fabio Da Silva 76), Valencia (Owen 73), Berbatov, Nani (Carrick 87). Subs not used: Van der Sar, Brown, Park, Hernandez. Goals: Berbatov 12, Valencia 32.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido, Kakuta, Murphy (Greening 82), Etuhu (Gera 67), Dempsey, Dembele (Gudjohnsen 55), Zamora. Subs not used: Stockdale, Kelly, Sidwell, Halliche.

Att: 75,339

Ref: Mike Jones (Cheshire).

White Noise

Man United 2-0 Fulham: Sunday Mirror match report

Published 22:30 09/04/11

By Simon Mullock

Maybe Sir Alex Ferguson should get Paul Scholes to ride for him in the Grand National next year.

Or perhaps he could ask Michael Owen to earn himself a new contract by swapping the substitutes' bench for the saddle.

The going might have got too tough for Ferguson's horse What A Friend at Aintree yesterday, but the serial winners wearing the red colours of Manchester United are not feeling the pace.

Eight changes to the team; another three points at Old Trafford. It was a routine day at the office for a United side who have claimed 46 points from a possible 48 on home soil this ­season.

First-half goals from Dimitar Berbatov and Antonio Valencia took them 10 points clear at the top of the table.

Even Ferguson looked like his mind was elsewhere as he said: "We were a bit ­careless, we looked lackadaisical at times.

"In the second half especially we became wasteful in possession and could have ­suffered for it on another day. The crowd were quiet and it was like a few people out there were sunbathing. But at this stage, winning is the name of the game."

Next up is a Champions League return, with Chelsea at Old Trafford on Tuesday night, when United will be defending a 1-0 first-leg victory that makes them big ­favourites to reach the last four.

Then it's down to Wembley for an all-Manchester FA Cup semi-final on ­Saturday. The Treble is on.

Ferguson insisted his focus was ­always going to be on football rather than racing. But once the resistance of Mark Hughes' side was ended in the 12th minute he must have been tempted to make a quick dash to Aintree.

United keeper Tomasz ­Kuszczak — given a rare ­outing to protect Edwin van der Sar — was forced into early saves by Gael Kakuta and ­Moussa Dembele. And Bobby Zamora ­produced the kind of wayward finish that proved why his right foot is normally only used for standing on when given a clear sight of goal.

Then United attacked for the first time and it was Game Over.

There was more than a hint of offside about Berbatov's strike. Nani slalomed ­between Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu and in the blink of an eye he swapped passes with Anderson and teased a clever ball towards Berbatov.

The United striker seemed to have strayed fractionally beyond the last man, but didn't even break stride as he threaded a low finish past Mark Schwarzer's left hand.

It was Berbatov's 21st goal of the season — all of them in the league. Yet the top ­division's ­leading scorer only plays these days when Wayne ­Rooney is ­having a day off. Anderson should have doubled United's lead but shot woefully wide from 12 yards after being teed-up by Berbatov.

But in the 32nd minute, United scored again. There was only going to be one ­winner when Patrice Evra's long pass put Nani in a foot race with Schwarzer.

Nani cut inside after the Fulham keeper had committed himself too early and ­although Aaron Hughes managed to deflect the winger's shot off target, he could only divert towards Valencia, who needed to only nod his head to score.

At the start of the second half, Anderson forced Schwarzer into a smart save with a sidefooted effort. But by then the home side were going back down through the gears.

It needed the 56th-minute ­introduction of Eidur Gudjohnsen to conjure up a ­response, the former Chelsea winger going close with a 25-yard drive.

Cottagers boss Hughes said: "United were worthy winners. You can see they are on countdown to win ­everything.

"The way the manager picks the team and then ticks off the games is ­exceptional.

"United's first goal was offside. But their second was a comedy of errors and after that it was very difficult for us."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Man-United-2-0-Fulham-Sunday-Mirror-match-report-Dimitar-Berbatov-and-Antonio-Valencia-take-United-10-points-clear-article721780.html#ixzz1J6wuM2Ng