Cracking goal in the second one, very impressive
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

RidgeRider

Quote from: AmericanJames on April 15, 2011, 05:12:00 AM
On espn 2 as well, Im loving the timbers army and timber joey
Cracking goal in the second one, very impressive

the army are into it big time. 3-0 now!

RidgeRider

wow Cooper nearly made it 4-0 but Fire just scored 3-1 now.

RidgeRider

hey  :tom: Eddie Johnson plays for Portland.   :dft012:

Tom

I watched the game as well. Timber Joey is great! After the game, each piece he cut went to the player that scored the goal. That is pretty cool.
Fulham for life!

RidgeRider

Quote from: Tom on April 15, 2011, 08:14:34 AM
I watched the game as well. Timber Joey is great! After the game, each piece he cut went to the player that scored the goal. That is pretty cool.

Tom, love the chainsaw as well. the quality is not quite there but it was an exciting match and the first time I can say I really enjoyed an MLS match. Even the singing by the Army was impressive.

duffbeer

I see Darlington Nagbe was subed in at the 82nd minute.  How did he look?

Funny thing about the Timber's Eddie Johnson is that he is English (and white), if my memory serves me.

Ridge, I cant help myself, I got to tell you - you really sound like a football snob.

RidgeRider

Quote from: duffbeer on April 15, 2011, 03:07:44 PM

Funny thing about the Timber's Eddie Johnson is that he is English (and white), if my memory serves me.

Ridge, I cant help myself, I got to tell you - you really sound like a football snob.

Mo, I know that is what you think that I am........and I don't mean to come off that way, honestly, but I only make comments that I see when I watch. It is a small miracle, and I have come a long way, that I can even tell the difference between a quality side/match and one that is not. I wouldn't have been able to do that 5 years ago.

It's pretty clear to me that the MLS, especially given its early season, is a sloppier and less skillful brand of football than what I watch on the weekends.......but I did enjoy it and it is good enough to be enjoyed. The atmosphere of the game was exciting and the football was pretty good actually and I did see pace and aggression in the game last night that I enjoyed.

Remember, I have small children that play and if I see high schoolers playing I will stop and watch and I have been to many 'Santa Clara matches, so I just enjoy the game but I am a bit of a snob in several areas of my life, which translates into that.....'I do like quality'. If Sacramento could get an MLS side, I would have season tickets.

duffbeer

Quote from: RidgeRider on April 15, 2011, 04:26:33 PM

Mo, I know that is what you think that I am........and I don't mean to come off that way, honestly, but I only make comments that I see when I watch. It is a small miracle, and I have come a long way, that I can even tell the difference between a quality side/match and one that is not. I wouldn't have been able to do that 5 years ago.

It's pretty clear to me that the MLS, especially given its early season, is a sloppier and less skillful brand of football than what I watch on the weekends.......but I did enjoy it and it is good enough to be enjoyed. The atmosphere of the game was exciting and the football was pretty good actually and I did see pace and aggression in the game last night that I enjoyed.

Remember, I have small children that play and if I see high schoolers playing I will stop and watch and I have been to many 'Santa Clara matches, so I just enjoy the game but I am a bit of a snob in several areas of my life, which translates into that.....'I do like quality'. If Sacramento could get an MLS side, I would have season tickets.

Five years ago I would have told you soccer is "gay" so we both have come a long way since then.

More later.

finnster01

Quote from: duffbeer on April 15, 2011, 05:46:06 PM

Five years ago I would have told you soccer is "gay" so we both have come a long way since then.

More later.
Funny thing about that Ms Duff is you could probably tell that straight to Hangeland's face even if you were a male and he would have taken it in stride and never even flinched.

Joey Barton on the other hand... :034:

And that my dear lady is Fulham and most of its fans

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Tom

Quote from: RidgeRider on April 15, 2011, 11:34:57 AM
Quote from: Tom on April 15, 2011, 08:14:34 AM

Tom, love the chainsaw as well. the quality is not quite there but it was an exciting match and the first time I can say I really enjoyed an MLS match. Even the singing by the Army was impressive.
Chainsaw was great and the singing was very impressive. I was surprised that they let them sing the national anthem.
Fulham for life!

Tom

He is English and White. I think they said he came up through the Man U system.
Fulham for life!

SoCalJoe

For all the fans of the original Timbers from the 70s and early 80s, to the ones who grew w/the team in the second tier (USL) for the last ten years, last night was a celebration. The team isn't very good, but they are going to be a handful at home.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

duffbeer

This video of the fans singing the national anthem is awesome.  Must have been a blast to be there.  Way to represent Portland.

Timbers FC Home Opener National Anthem

duffbeer

Quote from: finnster01 on April 15, 2011, 07:13:06 PM

More later.
Funny thing about that Ms Duff is you could probably tell that straight to Hangeland's face even if you were a male and he would have taken it in stride and never even flinched.

Joey Barton on the other hand... :034:

And that my dear lady is Fulham and most of its fans

Finn, I dont quite know what you mean.  I hope I didnt offend.   I was just trying to explain how little I "got" the game five years ago. 

finnster01

Ms Duff,

You didn't offend anybody. I just tried to emphasize the point that Fulham as a club (players/fans likes yourselves) are the ones wearing the white hat in the Prem. We are good people supporting a family club. (Although after reading all these threads I am sure that is not politically correct either, but I belted COYW out here in Harlem in a packed pub where I was the only white guy before my girlfriend quite correctly pointed out that was not a good idea. So now I am grounded and have to watch Fulham games at home.)
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

YankeeJim

More later.
John Terry?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

AmericanJames

Quote from: finnster01 on April 15, 2011, 10:19:29 PM
Ms Duff,

You didn't offend anybody. I just tried to emphasize the point that Fulham as a club (players/fans likes yourselves) are the ones wearing the white hat in the Prem. We are good people supporting a family club. (Although after reading all these threads I am sure that is not politically correct either, but I belted COYW out here in Harlem in a packed pub where I was the only white guy before my girlfriend quite correctly pointed out that was not a good idea. So now I am grounded and have to watch Fulham games at home.)

Gotta be careful w/ that finny especially around the basketball courts
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

duffbeer

Quote from: finnster01 on April 15, 2011, 10:19:29 PM
Ms Duff,

Glad I didnt offend you, although I guess I need to stop using that word as it certainly offends others.  It was actually a gay friend of mine growing up that got me so casual about using it but no matter.

Finn I've been there with the COYW.  The city I live in is very integrated to the point where the schools are over 50% African American.  Anyway, after the match we saw at the cottage, we brought several of those clapper things home with us.  My boys had them in their room, and I explained to them that they might want to display the "Come On Fulham" side because people wouldnt know what "Come On You Whites" means and might take it the wrong way.  Thinking they were doing the right thing, they hung the clappers in their windows with the "Come On Fuham" side showing on the inside.  Well, it wasnt long before our neighbor called to comment because her kids had seen "come on you whites" signs hanging in our windows.  :011: