https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (19.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 19, 2011, 07:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Sidwell Contract Extension

Monday 18th April 2011

Fulham Football Club is pleased to announce that Steve Sidwell has signed an extension to his contract that will keep the midfielder at the Club until the summer of 2014.

Speaking from Motspur Park on Monday afternoon, Sidwell was clearly pleased to have put pen to paper.

"I'm delighted to be tied down for another three years," he told fulhamfc.com. "The main objective was to come here in January and prove myself to get a contract. Now that's been done I'm not going to sit on my laurels, I'm hopefully going to kick on.

"I was fortunate enough to get a chance to play due to the injury to Dickson, but then on the flipside it was my turn to be injured. So it's been a bit up and down but on the whole I've settled in well. I'd like to thank the management and the people upstairs. I'm delighted to be here for three years.

"Initially it was like a trial period and it was down to me to prove myself. It's gone well and there's still a lot more to come from me – so hopefully given the opportunities and chances I can do well.

"I'd like to help in the progress of the Club and take it where the management and the owner want to take it. This has been a transitional year compared to the success the Club had last year. But I'll be hoping to take each year as it comes and progress."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/SidwellContractExtension.aspx#ixzz1JwjRLc00

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/loaner-report-41811/

Loaner Report 4/18/11

Filed under: General — timmyg @ 4:57 pm

Diomansy Kamara started and played 70 minutes in Leicester City's 3-1 loss at Reading.

Kagisho Dikgacoi started, played 45 minutes, and received a yellow card in Crystal Palace's 2-1 loss to Scunthorpe United.

Eddie Johnson started and played 71 minutes in Preston North End's 3-1 win over Sheffield United.

Bjorn Helge Riise started and played 66 minutes in Sheffield United's 3-1 loss at Preston North End.

Lauri Dalla Valle was an unused substitute in Bournemouth's 2-0 win at Notts County.

Keanu Marsh-Brown started and played 64 minutes in MK Dons' 1-0 win at Swindon.

White Noise

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/wolves-fc-news/2011/04/18/wolves-mick-mccarthy-expecting-true-character-against-fulham-97319-28539007/

Wolves: Mick McCarthy expecting true character against Fulham

By Bill Howell

Apr 18 2011

Mick McCarthyMICK McCarthy has backed his side to show their true character in Saturday's must-win clash with Fulham.

While his side were left kicking their heels, results elsewhere deepened Wolves' plight at the bottom.

The visit of Mark Hughes' side is clearly seen as make or break.

"It could be," said McCarthy. "But the players have always responded when it's been a kind of 'must-win' game.

"There's no better time for a special effort to come than the Fulham game is there?

"Let me tell you, the teams that work the hardest generally succeed. Manchester United, Barcelona – they all do that."

The game needs no extra spice after Danny Murphy's autumn comments aimed at the ''Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves'' whose managers were seen to be ''pumping up'' their players. It followed the September meeting between the sides that saw Karl Henry break Bobby Zamora's leg, albeit with a fair tackle.

Wolves had six bookings and Christophe Berra sent off as Fulham stole all three points with a stoppage time winner from Moussa Dembele.

Steve Sidwell is also likely to line up for the Cottagers having undergone a medical at Wolves on deadline day.

McCarthy says he cannot add to his side's winning mentality.

"It's in themselves to stay out of it (the relegation zone) – I can't put that into them," he said.

"We had this discussion last Monday, but you create an environment that they want to come and work in and enjoy it.

"They fight for each other and there's a good team spirit. But they've got to have that desire in themselves – there's no magic formula for giving players that.

"You look for players who have got that in the first place and I put those players in the team."

At least the omens are good as Fulham have not won in the league at Molineux since 1985 and not in the top flight since 1962.

Wolves have won six of the last seven meetings on home soil.

But defensive errors need to be wiped out.

"When you concede goals like we have, I'm not bothered who's the manager," said McCarthy.

"I looked at Liverpool v Man City last Monday and Roberto Mancini teams are really hard to beat and they got murdered.

''They didn't look like a Mancini team because of the goals they conceded.

"But it's what can happen if you concede the goals in the manner we did at Newcastle, then the first one here against Everton."

Jody Craddock could be recalled but McCarthy admits Richard Stearman and Christophe Berra have been terrific all season.

"They have but such is life," he said. "The two games don't change a season, but it's a big game when we come back."

White Noise

http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/west-london-sport/west-london-brentford-fc/2011/04/18/brentford-hand-trial-to-spurs-and-fulham-youngsters-109642-28540754/

Brentford hand trial to Spurs and Fulham youngsters

Apr 18 2011

By Jacob Murtagh

BRENTFORD are running the rule over several youngsters from Premier League clubs.

Tottenham Hotspur defender Olumide Durojaiye is among 10 triallists in action for a Bees second-string against Crawley Town this afternoon.

Fulham duo Aaron Pierre and Albert Owusu-Ansah are also added to the squad, along with Cherif Faty and Jordan Tubett.

They join Charlie Mann (Crystal Palace), Samuel Griffiths (Wolves), Jonathan Cosgrove (Fulham), Liam Bellamy (ex-Charlton) and Warren Morgan (Reading) on trial at Griffin Park.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6883103,00.html

Costa Rican eyes England

Premier League clubs scout Albacete goalkeeper

By Francisco Acedo

Last Updated: April 18, 2011 3:48pm

Navas: English link for Albacete goalkeeper

Albacete goalkeeper Keylor Navas has revealed he would jump at the chance to move to England.

The Costa Rican shot-stopper has impressed for Albacete since moving to Spain last summer.

Navas has been followed closely in recent weeks by a number of scouts, with Premier League clubs taking a keen interest.

It is understood Wigan and Fulham have both taken a close check on his progress.

Navas has now revealed that he has spoken with fellow countryman and former Derby and West Ham forward Paulo Wanchope about the prospect of moving to England.

"I have spoken with Wanchope," said Navas.

"He supports me and has told me to move to England if any offers come in."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6882486,00.html

Gera open to Prem offers

Agent admits attractive offer could see Hungarian perform U-turn

By Juha Pal   

Last Updated: April 18, 2011 11:01am

Gera: First moved to England from Ferencvaros in 2004

Zoltan Gera is not entirely opposed to prolonging his career in England, according to the Fulham player's agent.

Last week the Hungarian revealed his desire to run down his contract at the Cottagers before embarking on a new challenge overseas after seven years in the country.

The 31-year-old spent four years with West Brom from 2004 to 2008 and his agent, Vladan Fillipovic, suggests switching to another Premier League club is not entirely out of the question.

"It is not impossible at all that Zoltan stays in England," Filipovic told Hungarian station Digi Sport Television.

"We're open to any possibilities, it can be that he stays in England in case of a good opportunity. Gera still has a lot in his career, four or five good years.

Filipovic added: "It's a great advantage for him that he can play on two or three positions - as an attacking midfielder, as a second striker and also as a right-sided midfielder.

Gera is a reported target for Greek Super League giants Olympiakos, who are expected to move for the playmaker when he becomes a free agent.

White Noise

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/safc-news/sunderland_skipper_cattermole_focused_on_wigan_and_fulham_1_3299751

Sunderland skipper Cattermole focused on Wigan and Fulham

Lee Cattermole

Published on Monday 18 April 2011 10:30

LEE Cattermole insists relegation won't be discussed in the Sunderland dressing room until the outcome of their home double-header.

Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Birmingham reduced the gap with the relegation zone to five points and dropped Sunderland down to 15th spot.

But if the Black Cats can end their three-month wait for victory against either Wigan or Fulham in their next two games, both at the Stadium of Light, then Sunderland would be largely free from relegation worries.

Cattermole (pictured) said: "We have two home games coming up and two wins would put us back in the top half. That has to be where we are looking.

"Perhaps if those games don't go our way, then we may have to start looking the other way.

"We didn't expect to be down in this situation, but we need to deal with it and get out of it as soon as possible.

"Perhaps it does feel that this has happened quite quickly.

"But we still haven't talked about relegation. All we really want to do is put an end to this bad run.

"We're not thinking about getting relegated, all we're thinking about is winning games and trying to finish in the top half of the table.

"The lads aren't deflated at all. They're all looking forward to the challenge.

"We just need to finish the season off as well as we can, then look to go again next year.

"You can't take big steps going from a club that has been a yo-yo team to being a team that qualifies for Europe, you need to build.

"If you look at Everton, they're building and building and finally they are there.

"That's what Sunderland have to aim to do."

Radio phone-ins were again bombarded by angry Sunderland supporters on Saturday night and skipper Cattermole insists he understands the frustration.

But the 23-year-old believes the Wearsiders are almost a victim of their own success after holding down a top-six position at the turn of the year.

"We've only won one out of the last nine games, so I can understand why the fans are getting a bit nervous," he added.

"They want to see us winning. I can't say that we won't get relegated, we still might.

"But we have to produce the goods to make sure that doesn't happen and there is no better way to start than winning the two home games.

"It's just a shame the way the season has gone for us now.

"People were talking about Europe, but then injuries and disruptions in January have made it hard for us.

"In a way, it shows just how far the club has come.

"The expectations have definitely been raised and that is something we have to deal with."

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/alternative-alf-garnett-lawrie-sanchez-goes-to-barnet/

Alternative Alf Garnett: Lawrie Sanchez goes to Barnet

Filed under: General — rich @ 8:52 am

As the temperature drops on the drunks out in Clapham
I turn on my bx and it's like punk never happened
The community's charged up and the West End's alight
And it's Jimmy Bloody Tarbuck on a Saturday night

And I'm sick to the back teeth, frony teeth and tonsils
Of hit making factories and kids niffing Ronseal
The run down, the hard up and the national health
And it's Jimmy Bloody Tarbuck on a Sunday as well

Friends, Romans, country fans
If you're happpy and you know it
You can clap your hands and say yeah!

Yes sir no sir three bags full of newspaper
Sleeping by the greengrocers over by the undertakers
Died in a house fire mummy was at the bakers
Buying broken biscuits, digestives and iced wafers
I've broken my dentures, got senile dementure
And I'm losing my barnet
I'm an alternative Alf Garnett

(Carter USM – Alternative Alf Garnett)

Lawrie Sanchez's ongoing search for gainful employment is over, at least temporarily. He has bounced around the periphery of the football media world, popping up on TalkSport, Radio 5 and the occasional TV spot, but it's fair to say that the offers haven't been rolling in.

It's another example of the perils of ambition. Sanchez had an amazing thing going with Northern Ireland, galvanising what everyone had assumed to be a very ordinary squad into a side that was capable of upsetting some much more fancied opposition (including the always mighty England, slain by the deadly boot of David Healy).

The word is that Fulham got Sanchez after initially asking after Sven: their shared agent pointed out how well Northern Ireland were doing and wouldn't that be just the job for Fulham under the circumstances, and the rest was very nearly history.  For Sanchez the gamble was presumably one he felt he had to take (see Hodgson/Liverpool), but in retrospect he might have been better off staying where he was (ditto). The Northern Ireland gig was going well, he had time on his hands (being an international manager must rule!) and a growing reputation. He didn't need to change anything.

He was lured into taking something bigger than himself, and I suspect realised this quite quickly. The talk of him being arrogant must have had a grain of truth to it, but equally, may have missed the mark, arrogance being what you see when insecurity meets stress. Sanchez was faced with a big situation in which he was employed to be the big man; of course he was going to do all he could to play the part.

In life we spend years trying to be things we're not before realising that we might as well be ourselves. Marilyn Monroe could pull of the Marilyn Monroe thing because of who she was; thousands of others couldn't because they lacked that hard-earned inner depth. The same obviously applies to Kurt Cobain of Nirvana: anyone can try to do what he did, only Cobain could scream from the very depths of his being and transmit it onto record in a fashion that made people want to listen. The imitators look cheap, fake, unbelievable.

So it was with Sanchez, a man who had it in him to be a good football manager, but who  – to my mind – didn't have the inner strength (or ability to organise a defence) to pull it off.  (Look at Sir Alex Ferguson: that's not a man who needs to be liked). Intellectually Sanchez might have been fine: he was open-minded, and like Sam Allardyce, interested in any new idea that might give him and his team an edge. Otherwise, not so much: had Sanchez got a good start with Fulham I suspect he'd have had a decent run; he didn't, and he didn't.

He sounded bitter about this from the moment he lost his job, and his interviews even recently have had the same undertones: "listen to me! I know football! I know football as well as 90% of the people with jobs! Why does nobody understand this!" And he probably had a point. His record with Northern Ireland should probably have earned him another go somewhere. Turns out he's going to be at Barnet, where failure in the Premier League might be seen as a good thing: at least he's been there.

It might not work, but you can bet that he'll be out on the training pitch on day one with tales of how his teams have beaten the odds, won games they had no right to win, and so Barnet really have nothing to fear.  Working in League Two he might feel like the legitimate big man he needs to be.  He might come across as arrogant.  Or it might work, and Barnet might get out of the relegation zone.  Looking at their results there seems to be something to work with, although the scores below suggest a defence every bit as porous as the one Roy Hodgson had to mend after Sanchez left Fulham.

As ever, interesting stuff.

January
Sat 1     15:00    H    Aldershot Town     FL2     L      1-2    1,902
Mon 3     15:00    A    Stevenage     FL2     L      2-3    3,744
Sat 8     15:00    A    Bradford City     FL2     W      3-1    10,514
Sat 15     15:00    H    Shrewsbury     FL2     D      1-1    2,164
Sat 22     15:00    A    Macclesfield     FL2     D      1-1    1,655
Tue 25     19:45    A    Port Vale     FL2     D      0-0    4,112
Sat 29     15:00    H    Southend     FL2     L      0-2    2,867
February
Sat 5     15:00    A    Northampton     FL2     D      0-0    4,573
Sat 12     15:00    H    Torquay United     FL2     L      0-3    2,168
Sat 19     15:00    A    Cheltenham     FL2     D      1-1    2,926
Tue 22     19:45    A    Southend     FL2     L      1-2    5,501
Sat 26     15:00    H    Lincoln City     FL2     W      4-1    2,226
March
Sat 5     15:00    A    Rotherham     FL2     D      0-0    3,566
Tue 8     19:45    H    Wycombe     FL2     L      0-1    1,520
Sat 12     15:00    A    Hereford     FL2     W      2-1    2,517
Sat 19     15:00    H    Morecambe     FL2     L      1-2    2,510
Tue 22     19:45    A    Aldershot Town     FL2     L      0-1    2,420
Sat 26     18:00    H    Chesterfield     FL2     D      2-2    2,012
April
Sat 2     15:00    A    Burton     FL2     W      4-1    2,774
Sat 9     15:00    H    Crewe     FL2     W      2-1    2,212
Sat 16     15:00    A    Bury     FL2     L      0-2    3,082

White Noise

Midfielder Sidwell signs three year contract extension at Fulham

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 9:17 PM on 18th April 2011

Steve Sidwell has penned a contract extension with Fulham that will keep him at Craven Cottage until 2014.

The 28-year-old joined from Aston Villa on a six-month deal in January, with an agreement in place that the deal would be extended by a further three seasons if his performances were up to scratch.

Sidwell has impressed in his eight league and cup appearances for Mark Hughes' side and the club have now announced he has signed the longer contract.

Staying put: Steve Sidwell's impressive form for Fulham has earned the midfielder an extension to his contract

'I'm delighted to be tied down for another three years,' said the midfielder.

'The main objective was to come here in January and prove myself to get a contract. Now that's been done I'm not going to sit on my laurels, I'm hopefully going to kick on.

'I was fortunate enough to get a chance to play due to the injury to Dickson (Etuhu), but then on the flip-side it was my turn to be injured.

Happy: Sidwell is delighted to have agreed to stay at Fulham until the summer of 2014

'So it's been a bit up and down but on the whole I've settled in well. I'd like to thank the management and the people upstairs. I'm delighted to be here for three years.

'Initially it was like a trial period and it was down to me to prove myself. It's gone well and there's still a lot more to come from me, so hopefully given the opportunities and chances I can do well.

'I'd like to help in the progress of the club and take it where the management and the owner want to take it.

'This has been a transitional year compared to the success the club had last year, but I'll be hoping to take each year as it comes and progress.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1378157/Sidwell-signs-year-contract-extension-Fulham.html#ixzz1JwnNTaXx

White Noise

Easter Hours

Monday 18th April 2011

Supporters should note that the Craven Cottage Ticket Office opening hours over the Easter period are as follows:

Friday 22nd April - Closed
Saturday 23rd April - Open 10am-12pm
Sunday 24th April - Closed
Monday 25th April - Closed
Tuesday 26th April – Open 9am-5pm

Tickets can be bought online| or over the phone by calling 0843 208 1234.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/EasterTicketOfficeHours.aspx#ixzz1JwoIE6hT

White Noise

Monday @ Motspur

Monday 18th April 2011

Exclusive photos from Monday's open training session at Motspur Park.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/OpenTrainingPhotos.aspx

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/lies-damned-lies-and-truth-about-gareth-barry-1578861

Lies, damned lies, and the truth about Gareth Barry

18.04.11 | Dave Williams

A survey by EA Sports and the Mail on Sunday has been collecting data to reveal the fastest, slowest, and fittest players at each Premier League club.

And Newcastle's Joey Barton appears to be partly correct in his assertion over the pace of Gareth Barry who is shown as the slowest Manchester City player, but not in the Premier League.

West Ham keeper Robert Green was named the slowest player in the top flight after managing a meagre 16.11 miles per hour top speed.

Tottenham midfielder Sandro takes the dubious honour as the slowest outfield player, peaking at just 16.28 mph.

Along with Barry (top speed 18.41mph), other ponderous players included David Vaughan (17.02mph), Fabrice Muamba (17.25mph), John Heitinga (18.32mph) and Michael Essien (18.37mph).

However, Barry covers more ground than any other City player - running 7.92 miles in a recent match.

Only two Premier League players cover more ground than the much-maligned midfielder, with Barton himself (8.09 miles) and Liverpool's Raul Meireles (8.1 miles) topping the list of the league's hardest working players.

The survey also reveals the fastest Premier League players of recent weeks, with Barry's team-mate Mario Balotelli coming joint-top of the list with a top-speed of 22.37mph.

Balotelli shares the accolade with 12 other players, as Nigel Reo-Coker, Brett Emerton, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, Chris Smalling, Matthew Etherington, Gareth Bale, Peter Odemwingie, Manuel de Costa, Hugo Rodallega, and Richard Stearman all matched the Italian for pace in their recent matches.

Finally, the gong for hardest-working team in the league goes to Fulham, who managed to cover 79.52 miles in their recent clash against Manchester United.

The Red Devils managed to cover 77.98 miles themselves, however, as they romped to a 2-0 victory at Old Trafford.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, Mick McCarthy's Wolves covered the least amount of ground in their recent match against city-rivals Aston Villa.

The Midlands side currently sit bottom of the Premier League but, ironically, their low total of 66.21 miles came in their first victory at Villa Park in 31 years.

West Brom (68.92) and Sunderland (70.80) are also in the bottom three for the amount of ground their players covered collectively in recent matches.

Meanwhile Chelsea are the sixth worst in the Premier League for miles run (72.28).