watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR.........................................census

Started by Me-ate-Live, innit??, April 23, 2011, 02:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me-ate-Live, innit??

I did not send mine off ...........infact,  i did not fill it in and it went out with the papers 
well !!! I have got  more 'gump' through my door reminding me to do it ......... I am now getting a bit  belligerent about it ...........I have a good mind not to and pay the £1000.00 fine instead ........................
................but that's the season ticket money ....................hummmmmmmmmm ????????

Has everyone done theirs ????

The Doctor

Eventually got my idle housemates to do their bits and send it off.  There's no way I was going to cop a £1000 fine just so they could save themselves 10 mins.  I am sceptical regarding the need for it in today's information-rich society - all the logistical effort the ONS goes to could be largely saved as much of the data seems to exist anyway.

You can request more forms from the website:
http://www.census.gov.uk/

Airfix

Seriously considered completing it, photocopying it and then ripping up the original and then saying, if asked, that I posted it (and if the Royal Mail didn't deliver, that's not my problem).  In the end, I behaved like a good little citizen and sent it back... verrrrrrrrrry late.

Daxidebs

Why do people have a problem with it ? Done mine on  line.... .........simples 

finnster01

Quote from: Daxidebs on April 23, 2011, 06:58:31 PM
Why do people have a problem with it ? Done mine on  line.... .........simples 
Maybe because it is a load of bollocks and a waste of time better spent elsewhere like the pub?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Ron Sheepskin

Just remember, the stupider the answers you fill in, the more puzzled future generations will be when they research their family tree. Hands up who's a Jedi  :54:
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Daxidebs

I guess if you have something to hide it could be problematic - my main problem was do i put my daughter on even though she was staying with her boyfriend that week  :023: and does it matter??

Rupert

I kept looking for the unreasonable and intrusive questions they were apparantly asking but couldn't find any so filled it in and sent it off.

If nothing else it creates employment for a short while and future generations can have hours of tremendous fun trying to track my movements, so far I've filled in three of these (1991, 2001 and 2011), from three seperate addresses and whilst in three totally unrelated occupations. I can't see the FBI getting too much of a lead on me from them, somehow.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Lighthouse

Did it online a week before deadline. Not sure the questions were going to help anybody. I can think of plenty of other things to get excited about but the senseless census isn't one of them.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

finnster01

They have the same thing here in the states just after I physically moved in with my NY girlfriend a year or two ago. There is a section you have to state your "race", caucasian, african american, asian etc.

I ticked off other and entered Alien and Mars because according to the Dept of Homeland Security here, I am legally certified as a Resident Alien. I probably should have filled in employer as United Federation of Planets as well. Maybe next time  :005:  
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Equalizer

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on April 23, 2011, 08:03:58 PM
Just remember, the stupider the answers you fill in, the more puzzled future generations will be when they research their family tree. Hands up who's a Jedi  :54:

:038:

I was going to say 'Fulhamish', but sense got the better of me. ;)
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

The Equalizer

In all honesty, I think that the census is very useful information to have. I've started compiling a family tree on Ancestry.co.uk on my Dad's pedigree, and this would not have been possible if my ancestors hadn't done their bit in 1901 and 1911.

Don't rue having to do this, as this could be invaluable for future generations of people tracing their heritage.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Airfix

What concerns me most is that this is supposed to be a simple process for identifying local government requirements for the ongoing period (how many people live there, ages etc).  So why do they need my employer's details?  What possible use is that to anyone in central government?  My employer's details are on record at the tax office - indeed there are many many ways that the ONS can get the statistics that they require to make the report as accurate as it will be with the census.  With more and more stories of governmental data loss (from whichever side of the political divide), I am not confident that the data that I have given is safe at all.

This is an excellent article on the subject which sums up a lot about how I feel regarding the census: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/mar/10/census-2011-do-we-need-it

The Equalizer

A fair point mate. Long gone are the days when the census was filled out by some portly chap in a hat sitting in your kitchen while your kids feed his horse!  :dft012:

epsomraver

Quote from: KCat on April 23, 2011, 02:07:23 PM
I did not send mine off ...........infact,  i did not fill it in and it went out with the papers 
well !!! I have got  more 'gump' through my door reminding me to do it ......... I am now getting a bit  belligerent about it ...........I have a good mind not to and pay the £1000.00 fine instead ........................
................but that's the season ticket money ....................hummmmmmmmmm ????????

Has everyone done theirs ????
Yep, really makes sense, pay a grand for not doing about 10 minutes at best paperwork

TonyGilroy

If you want to object then lie. No one will check.

Of course I abhor such behaviour which is criminal and anyone so acting deserves severe punishment.

alfie

Quote from: Airfix on April 26, 2011, 11:11:34 AM
What concerns me most is that this is supposed to be a simple process for identifying local government requirements for the ongoing period (how many people live there, ages etc).  So why do they need my employer's details?  What possible use is that to anyone in central government?  My employer's details are on record at the tax office - indeed there are many many ways that the ONS can get the statistics that they require to make the report as accurate as it will be with the census.  With more and more stories of governmental data loss (from whichever side of the political divide), I am not confident that the data that I have given is safe at all.

This is an excellent article on the subject which sums up a lot about how I feel regarding the census: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/mar/10/census-2011-do-we-need-it

I had no probs filling in who lives in my house etc, but i agree with Airfix why do they need to know who i work for, all they need to know is whether you are in full time employment, part time or no work.

A friend of mine put some really stupid answers, they just sent it back with a standard note saying it had not been filled in correctly.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't