watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (24.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 24, 2011, 06:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7944273/Wolverhampton-Wanderers-1-Fulham-1-match-report.html

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Fulham 1: match report

Read a full match report of the Premier League game between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham at Molineux on Saturday April 23, 2011.

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS 1 - 1 FULHAM

Saturday, April 23 15:00
Premier League
MolineuxFletcher (22) (HT 1-0)
ATT: 28,825 Andrew Johnson (80)

Flying arrow: Steven Fletcher, the Wolverhampton Wanderers forward, leaped high above the Fulham defence to head his side into the lead at Molineux on Saturday Photo: PABy Ian Bayley at Molineux 5:00PM BST 23 Apr 2011

Fulham manager Mark Hughes was involved in a colourful touchline cameo that had him banished to the stands for the final half-hour of a feisty encounter at Molineux. But Hughes still had more reason to smile than counterpart Mick McCarthy, who had victory snatched from his grasp.

Hughes had the satisfaction of watching his third and final substitution, striker Andy Johnson, equalise 10 minutes from time with his first touch of the ball and less than a minute after replacing Clint Dempsey.

By then the manager had been in the stand for 20 minutes after a fit of pique in keeping with a confrontational contest. Hughes, angered when referee Michael Oliver cautioned defender Brede Hangeland for a foul on Steven Fletcher, lashed out at a water bottle. Surprisingly for someone who scored 179 goals in his playing career, Hughes missed his target twice before making partial contact at the third attempt.

He was then dismissed by referee Michael Oliver after speaking out of turn to the fourth official. Hughes was able to joke about the incident, his anger doubtless sated by Johnson's equaliser.

"I was disappointed because I felt Brede had won the ball. The referee interpreted it in a different way and saw fit to book my player," Hughes said. "That's why I reacted. The fourth official played a part in my dismissal, probably for missing the bottle three times. So it was poor play from my point of view."

Johnson had no such problems with his aim. The striker drilled home from 15 yards after Hangeland's long punt forward fell neatly into the forward's path.

It was a blow for Wolves, who were on course to climb out of the bottom three thanks to Steven Fletcher's first-half header, his eighth goal of the season.

They remain deep in relegation trouble, though at least McCarthy had the consolation of seeing his side shore up defensively after conceding 11 goals in their previous four games. "Ten minutes is a long time in football," he said. "We defended well but I was disappointed with the way we conceded.

"Every point is important. There were other sides who would have been beaten in that game having conceded, and we didn't. We have now got five huge, great games to play."

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/04/23/hughes-fury-as-aj-rescues-point-82029-28572756/

Hughes fury as AJ rescues point

By Paul Warburton

Apr 23 2011

Wolves 1-1 Fulham

ANDY Johnson's first touch of the game earned Fulham a precious point at volatile Wolves.

The sub striker came off the bench for Clint Dempsey to pick up the pieces of a saved shot and rifle the rebound home with 10 minutes left.

It was no more than the Whites deserved after bossing huge chunks of the game – and then going behind to a goal the Midlanders barely deserved.

It looked uphill for Fulham early in the second half when yellow cards for Chris Baird – 20 seconds after the restart – and then to Brede Hangeland for a challenge on Steve Fletcher also had repercussions for their boss.

Mark Hughes was so furious, his protests saw him banished to the stand to fret and fume in the heat.

Fulham could have scored in the first three minutes when Carlos Salcido brought a great save out of Wayne Hennessey – and then straight from the resulting corner Hangeland's header caused all kinds of problems before Wolves cleared the danger.

The Whites started brighter with more purpose as both Danny Murphy and Steve Sidwell controlled midfield.

Richard Stearman deservedly got a yellow card for a rash challenge that Eidur Gudjohnsen did well to ride.

Had the Icelander gone in as well and the Wolves defender connected – the colour would have undoubtedly been red, and maybe a Fulham would have seen their man stretchered off.

Undeterred, the Whites went on the hunt for the opener, and were presented with a great chance from Salcido again only to see Clint Dempsey lean back and blaze over from six yards.

And then in their first meaningful attack, Wolves got the first goal instead.

Karl Henry's cross was dangerous, but the Fulham penalty area should have exacted more pressure on Steven Fletcher than they did – and the Wolves man smashed home a thumping header.

Slowly, Fulham regrouped and missed out on a couple of half chances from Dempsey again.

But it was the half-time whistle that brought an angry confrontation between Murphy and Karl Henry.

The Wolves man was the other half of the tackle that broke Bobby Zamora's ankle in the game back at the Cottage in September – and the Fulham captain made it clear what he thought of the Wolves man's challenges in this half as well.

However, AJ's late strike was sweet reward to make sure of a five-point gap to the drop zone.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/04/23/hughes-fury-as-aj-rescues-point-82029-28572756/#ixzz1KQ03yF2W

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/aj-warns-fulham-not-yet-safe-1589061

AJ warns Fulham not yet safe

24.04.11 | tribalfootball.com

Andy Johnson doesn't accept Fulham being safe from the drop after their 1-1 draw at Wolves.

The point took Fulham to 39 points, one short of the number traditionally regarded as guaranteeing Premier League safety, but Johnson isn't sure of any guarantees in a season as unpredictable as this one. Instead, he assures Fulham fans that the team will continue to focus and prepare meticulously for every one of the remaining matches until the season is over.

"I don't think you can say you're safe at any point," he told fulhamfc.com. "It's so tight at the bottom of the table, and there's still a lot to play for in these last five games.

"Every year people talk about the 40-point mark, but it might be higher than that this year, because everyone keeps beating everyone else down at the bottom. It's the closest run-in I've ever been involved in come the back-end of a season, so we have to take every game as it comes and try and take what we can from each one.

"But at the moment I don't think anyone is safe from 10th downwards, so we're looking forward to the game against Bolton on Wednesday and then the visit to Sunderland next weekend as chances to secure our safety."

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-striker-johnson-delighted-equaliser-wolves-1589051

Fulham striker Johnson delighted with equaliser at Wolves

Fulham striker Andy Johnson was delighted with his goal in their 1-1 draw at Wolves.

Johnson admitted that, on another day, the number of chances created by his team-mates before his introduction would have been enough to put them into a commanding lead.

"I'm delighted," he enthused to fulhamfc.com. "Delighted to get the point and delighted to get on the score sheet.

"It was a great touch down from Bobby and I was just pleased to see my strike go in.

"We played really, really well today. I don't think we've created that many chances away from home in a long time. We were unfortunate not to win. If we had got the first goal a lot earlier I think it could have been three or four-one, but we didn't get it and they made it a tough game for us.

"It's always a physical battle against Wolves and I think you could tell how delighted we were to get the equalising goal so late on. In the end we're happy with a point, but on another day it could have been more."

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-boss-hughes-delighted-johnson-scoresheet-1588941

Fulham boss Hughes delighted Johnson on scoresheet

Fulham boss Mark Hughes was delighted with Andy Johnson's goal in their draw at Wolves.

AJ came off the bench to net a late equaliser.

"I won't take any credit for that - I'm just trying to make a difference," Hughes said.

"Obviously AJ (Johnson) was ready to go on and make an impact, and Bobby and Gael (Kakuta) were the same.

"That's what you want when you make changes and Bobby used his physical presence in a key area of the field, then AJ - who had been on for about 18 seconds - did exactly what I hoped he would do.

"It's great for him because he has just lacked goals of late and that is the only thing that has been missing from his performances. That goal will do him the power of good."

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/ex-fulham-midfielder-milsom-happy-stay-aberdeen-1588501

Ex-Fulham midfielder Milsom happy to stay with Aberdeen

23.04.11 | tribalfootball.com

Former Fulham midfielder Rob Milsom is delighted with his permanent move to Aberdeen.

Milsom, who agreed a two-year deal, admitted having manager Craig Brown and Archie Knox at the helm is what made it an easy choice and he's excited at what the future will bring to the Dons.

He said: "It was top of my wish list, signing a new deal at Aberdeen. I've wanted it for a while and I'm happy to be staying.

"The manager has played a big part in me signing this contract.

"I've played in the majority of the games since I arrived and I have enjoyed my time here. I'm looking forward to next season and that was my reason for staying.

"It wasn't a difficult decision. I want to keep progressing in my career and Aberdeen is the right place to do that. This club's going places under the manager.

"He and Archie have had great careers and both were a big influence on me staying.

"Everyone sees we're pushing in the right direction and he wants to start afresh.

"We could have almost a completely new team next season and we will want to do better than we have done this term.

"We can go upwards. The management team will put more of their stamp on the team in the next campaign and hopefully that will produce better results and push us up the league.

"I speak to Billy McKinlay (Fulham reserve coach) quite a bit and he thinks it's positive that I've signed this deal. He agrees I need to be playing regularly.

"I didn't know much about Scottish football before I arrived here but I've been lucky to play in some big games and I'm sure there are more to come."

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/the-business-on-mohamed-al-fayed-owner-of-fulham-football-club-2270642.html

The Business On... Mohamed al Fayed, Owner of Fulham Football Club

Thursday, 21 April 2011

Didn't he use to own a rather famous shop?

That's right. Mohamed al Fayed is the former owner of the department store Harrods. He sold the business for £1.5bn to Qatar Holdings, the sovereign wealth fund, in May last year. You may also recall his son Dodi was tragically killed in a car crash with Princess Diana in 1997.

I thought he'd retired from corporate life to focus on Fulham?

Given the reaction to the statue of Michael Jackson that Al Fayed unveiled at the football ground earlier this month, some fans may hope not. And they could be in luck after it emerged yesterday he has made a takeover approach for Pinewood Shepperton film studios.

So is this a bid to get a role in the next Bond film?

Pinewood are the studios behind Bond, but it seems unlikely. Al Fayed has reportedly told friends that the studio owner is a British monument which needs investment in new technology to restore what he calls its glory days.

Why the sudden interest?

Pinewood Studios announced on8 April that it had received an offer to buy the company at 190p a share, putting the business, as they say, "in play". Yesterday it said it had received a further approach from an "unconnected third party", which may or may not lead to an offer being made for the company.

Is Al Fayed the third party?

Yes, although al-Fayed has not made a formal bid yet. Peel Holdings, the property company run bythe billionaire John Whittaker and Pinewood's biggest shareholder, is the other potential bidder who emerged on 8 April.

Al Fayed still has plenty of drive, then?

It would seem so – and don't underestimate the 78-year-old, who began his first business scheme at school selling lemonade to his mates.

Blimey, he's come a long way

Yes, but he is not the modest type. He had a wax statue of himself constructed for him at Harrods during his time at the store.

White Noise

http://www.gigwise.com/news/62720/Liam-Gallagher-Michael-Jackson-Statue-Is-'Ridiculous'

Liam Gallagher: Michael Jackson Statue Is 'Ridiculous'

Singer says Justin Bieber would have been better...

April 23, 2011 by Jason Gregory | Photo by Brendan Docherty

Beady Eye frontman Liam Gallagher has described the Michael Jackson statue recently unveiled outside Fulham football club as "ridiculous".

The statue, revealed by the club's chairman and Jackson's friend Mohammed Al Fayed, has been widely criticised.

Gallagher said he wasn't a fan of the statue, that said "it could be worse".

"It could be Justin Bieber, but that wouldn't be that high then would it so you'd be able to walk over it," he told BBC Football Focus. "I don't know, it's a bit silly isn't it."

Critics of the Jackson statue included Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand, who said a statue should have been erected for a famous ex-Fulham player.

Al Fayed said people who didn't like the statue could "go to hell". Jackson died in 2009 aged 50.

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/middlesbrough-boss-mowbray-hopes-keep-sunderland-fulham-target-arca-1587181

Middlesbrough boss Mowbray hopes to keep Sunderland, Fulham target Arca

23.04.11 | tribalfootball.com

Middlesbrough boss Tony Mowbray hopes to keep hold of Sunderland and Fulham target Julio Arca.

The 30-year-old Argentinian is out of contract at the end of the season but Mowbray knows the club's financial situation may mean he will not be able to hang on to the player.

He told Boro's official website: "It's important I say how much I value Julio's talent. He is a fabulous lad and a fantastic football player.

"Discussions about his future are to be had, really. Over the next couple of weeks I will speak to him about what we can do and then he will no doubt go away and consider his options.

"We have to be transparent with Julio so he knows where this football club is going. A player of his ability will have different options, I am sure.

"If his decision is to sign for Middlesbrough again for whatever we are able to put on the table, I will be delighted. But whatever happens, I wish him well."

White Noise

Strength of Character

Sunday 24th April 2011

Simon Davies was pleased to see the Whites stick to their game plan and eventually earn a richly deserved share of the points on Saturday against Wolves.

Having dominated for long spells of the game, Fulham could consider themselves unfortunate to be trailing as the game entered its final stages, but Bobby Zamora and Andrew Johnson combined well to net the equaliser on 80 minutes.

Speaking after the match, Davies gave his assessment:

"It was a nice day to play football, the pitch was good and we played some really good stuff at times," explained the Fulham midfielder.

'We were a bit disappointed that we didn't get all three points but the important thing was not to lose against a team in the bottom three. The character of the lads was really good and during the second-half there was only one team in it for long periods of time, so a draw was the least that we deserved.

"You've just got to keep going I think it's important to stick to your principles. When you're playing against teams like Wolves who battle hard, really try and put you under pressure and get the ball in your box early on - it's important that a team like us sticks to our game."

Attentions now turn to Wednesday evening when Bolton visit the Craven Cottage. The Trotters have already tasted victory at the Cottage this season when they ended Fulham's participation in this season's FA Cup, and Davies will be looking to settle a score.

"That was a frustrating day, they scored an early goal and we were trying to break them down but we couldn't do it on the day," he said.

"We've got five games left, it's a shame we've had too many draws which has held us back, but with five games to go we'll be looking to pick up at least a couple of wins.

"They'll be looking to come and give a good account of themselves. We're going to have to be on our game and take the game to them."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/DaviesWolvesReaction.aspx#ixzz1KQ9vxkDp

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/04/a_point_away_is_always_good.php

A Point Away Is Always Good

Posted by Phil Mison 2 hours, 48 minutes ago

But when you're playing the bottom club..? Hopes dashed again for an awayday knees up to put us in the party mood...and it wasn't fun to watch.

We are going to have to wait a while longer for another away win at Wolves - we last managed it in the top flight back in April 1962. The Black and White Army journeyed north in glorious sunshine and the mood was optimistic. The mood darkened the minute we heard BZ was starting frrom the bench - either a back problem or reported kick on the thigh in training meant Hughes didn't fancy starting our England talisman. What a pity.

It was rewind to the start of winter. We are a different team without him. Hughes didn't help his cause by preferring Davies over Kakuta. This negative selection was no doubt influenced by the need to double up on dangerman Jarvis down the left-flank. We should have been set up to win the game, and to that effect AJ simply had to start. Hughes got it wrong - and wasn't helped by some very ordinary performances from usually reliable figures. Dempsey (awful), Hughes (uncharacteristically), Sidwell (never imposed himself) and Murphy (no longer good enough).

Wolves were there for the taking. Stearman and Berra are extremely limited CB's, shirt tugs and obstruction an integral part of their game. McCarthy had a pair of makeshift full-backs on display, the keeper looked fragile, neither Doyle or Hunt fit, only Henry showed up well in midfield, and Fletcher is Championship class. Unfortunately for us, the biggest donkey on display was in white. Eidur I hope signed off his own farewell card with a pitiful performance. This former thoroughbred now belongs in the knacker's yard and should be put down.

My headline comes from the mouth of Alan Pardew after his side were most fortunate to escape from Blackpool with a point. Both the ref there and our own muppet on view at Molineux (Michael Oliver) had days to forget, the gaffer risking the wrath of the authorities for suggesting he 'wasn't up to the task' - this remember a game that came with a certain amount of pre-match 'feeling.'

© Press Assoc

So as a consequence Sparky gets sent to the naughty step for his reaction to the ludicrous booking of Hangeland. But when the manager needs three swings at a static water bottle before connecting, is it any wonder the first team are so abject when it comes to hitting the target?

Lord knows, it's hard enough watching Fulham away from home, but do we make life easy for the opposition or what? Before 'shooting from the lip' for your delectation post-match I do trawl reports and forums to regulate my impartiality meter before writing. Today I am confused. Well it is a bank holiday so maybe there's an excuse for a lot of lazy journalism out there.

I can't believe the writers calling this as a good game? One journo tops the lot by praising Eidur's first full game for us. Ye gods! I used Pardew's quote to remind myself this was another important point for the Whites on the road to survival, and I even predicted the draw in my preview. But I'm hyperventilating here just trying to be even-handed.

What left me feeling so desolate was the lack of quality in our play. Apart from selecting the wrong team, we must hold the management team responsible for this absurd possession game that goes only crab-like across the pitch. Every pass played in front of the opposition. A fetish with trying again and again to 'thread the needle' with that one final killer pass through a penalty area crammed with 18 sweating, jostling, lunging bodies. Why will nobody shoot from range?

Three of four excellent goals yesterdays at WHL scored from outside the box. Fulham's shooting on the day...diabolical. Dempsey misses a sitter that would have put us one up when dominating and Wolves would have buckled. You could see how nervy they were. Pace from the start through AJ and Kakuta would have killed them. Nil product from set pieces (learn from Blackpool here), while Dembele is now in real danger of turning back in on himself and disappearing up his own backside!

Please get it sorted for Bolton so I can breathe easy. Please stop picking up little spasms, head colds etc. Bobby Zamora - and can every highly-paid member of the first team respect the fact that we all pay loads of money to watch our side - home and away. Can we therefore also please have a little more 'blood and guts' over the final month of the season?

In the meantime, bye-bye to Wolves. Thanks for the 4 points and your efforts to hobble more skilful players in the Prem. You will not be missed.

Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20110424-332725/Azkals-get-Swiss-goalkeeper-coach

Azkals get Swiss goalkeeper coach

By Cedelf P. Tupas

Philippine Daily Inquirer

First Posted 21:32:00 04/24/2011

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine football team is strengthening its coaching staff with the hiring of Swiss World Cup veteran Pascal Zuberbuhler as goalkeeper coach for the 2014 Fifa World Cup Qualifiers.

The Azkals will play Sri Lanka on June 28 in Colombo while the second leg is set at the Rizal Memorial Stadium in Manila on July 3.

The winner of the showdown will meet Kuwait on the third week of July.

A teammate of Azkals goalkeeper Neil Etheridge at Fulham, Zuberbuhler is expected to link up with the Philippine squad in Duren, Germany, where the Azkals will undergo a two-week camp starting June 12.

The 40-year-old Zuberbuhler brings with him an impressive resumé as a player, having been capped 51 times by Switzerland, which he represented in the European Championship in 2004 and 2008 as well as the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

"We're not taking any chances that's why we tapped him for the World Cup qualifiers," said team manager Dan Palami. "His experience as a player will help our squad of goalkeepers get to the next level."

Aside from Etheridge, the Azkals have three other goalkeepers in their pool, including Eduard Sacapano, who saw action in the 1-2 defeat to Mongolia in the AFC Challenge Cup, and teenagers Christopher Camcam and Paolo Pascual.

The 16-year-old Camcam is currently in Germany attending a training camp, which was facilitated by Azkals coach Michael Weiss.

Edzel Bracamonte, one of the members of the Azkals coaching staff, has been helping out in training the goalkeepers in previous tournaments.

"Zuberbuhler will not just train our goalkeepers but also our coaches," said Palami. "It will be a transfer of technology."

Etheridge has been quick to vouch for Zuberbuhler, saying he is known at Fulham for his professionalism and work ethic.

"Zubi (Zuberbuhler) has been more of a father figure guiding me," said Etheridge.

Zuberbuhler, who spent the early part of his career with Grasshopper Zurich where he played for 187 times, actually signified his interest to join the Azkals coaching staff through Etheridge, who recently signed a two-year deal with Fulham.