watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (24.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 24, 2011, 06:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/04/24/fulham-plot-move-for-wright-phillips-102039-23081935/

Fulham plot move for Wright-Phillips

Apr 24 2011

by Dean Jones, The People

SHAUN WRIGHT-PHILLIPS faces a crunch summer decision as Fulham consider a fresh move for the winger.

He is three years into his second spell at Manchester City but has played only a bit-part this season as the club continued their multi-million pound spending spree in search of success.

Wright-Phillips, 29, is determined to prove he is good enough to be a first-team regular next term but may have to consider his options if City add even more ­attackers to the payroll in the close season.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes wanted him on loan in January and is weighing up a £4million bid when the transfer window reopens.

However, the Cottagers will not be ­willing to pay Wright-Phillips more than £40,000 a week.

French side Paris Saint-Germain are among other clubs monitoring his situation but Wright-Phillips will take his time ­before making his next big decision. He said: "You ­always want to play so it's obviously frustrating, but it is part and parcel of the game and I might be needed at a time when it is more beneficial to the team.

"I would love to retire a City player and I have my ­fingers crossed it is something that can still happen."

His first stint at Eastlands ended after seven years in 2005 with a £21m switch to Chelsea.

After three difficult seasons in London, where he struggled for form and fitness, he ­returned to Manchester for £9m but finds ­himself on the fringes of Roberto Mancini's squad.

A frustrated Wright-Phillips asked for a transfer in January but no move materialised.

Bolton's interest in the winger has waned since January, but that could change if City make an offer for Gary Cahill because the Trotters would look for a player swap as part of the deal.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/premier-league-match-reports/2011/04/24/wolves-1-1-fulham-hughes-loses-bottle-and-gets-sent-to-stands-102039-23082602/

Wolves 1-1 Fulham: Hughes loses bottle and gets sent to stands

Apr 24 2011

by Dean Jones, The People

MARK HUGHES was sent to the stands after kicking a bottle – now Wolves have to prove they have not lost theirs as they battle to stay in the top flight.

Fulham boss Sparky blew a fuse when Brede Hangeland was booked for a foul on Steven Fletcher in the second half.

He threw a tantrum in his technical area and lashed out at a water bottle – unsuccessfully – while waving his hands in the air and screaming.

It was probably the choice of words as much as his laughable kicking display that caught unimpressed referee Michael Oliver's attention.

It inspired his team, though, as substitute Andrew Johnson hit an 80th-minute equaliser with his first touch.

Hughes said: "I was disappointed because I felt that Brede had won the ball in front of the player.

"But the referee interpreted it differently and booked him for a challenge I thought was fair – that's why I reacted the way I did.

"Unfortunately, I think the fourth official played a part in my dismissal.

"It was probably for missing the water bottle I was aiming at three times.

"It was poor play from my view, but we have to be pleased with a point."

Mick McCarthy will point to Wolves' game in hand as an extra lifeline – but if they fail to beat Stoke on Tuesday then their season could go to the wire.

Since an incredible 2-1 victory over Manchester United in February, Wolves have won just two of their eight matches.

They face derbies with Birmingham and West Brom after their trip to Stoke.

McCarthy said: "You'll find no defeatist attitude or negativity here.

"We've got three big games coming up and derbies are always inspirational games. Three wins would be nice but I'm not sure it will take that many to stay up."

This fiery clash was hyped as a battle between Danny Murphy and Karl Henry.

The Wolves captain, involved in a tackle which left Fulham striker Bobby Zamora with a broken leg in September, had a dig at his opposite number before the game.

Murphy accused some clubs of being "too pumped up" in the wake of Zamora's injury, and Henry told the Fulham skipper to mind his own business.

Murphy was booed from the first kick of the match and never got a grip on the game as Henry had a stormer.

The Cottagers dominated the early stages as Carlos Salcido brought a save out of Wayne Hennessey, and Aaron Hughes should have netted.

Things got a bit tasty on 15 minutes when Wolves' Richard Stearman was booked for an over-the-top challenge.

Eidur Gudjohnsen sensibly moved out of the way – his best decision all game.

Fulham were in control but Fletcher's 22nd-minute effort separated the sides at the interval. Henry crossed from the right and he steered home a brilliant header.

Murphy and Henry clashed twice just before half time, and after the break the temperature increased, as Hughes watched from the directors' box.

But substitute Johnson took less than 20 seconds to make his mark, pouncing on a long ball to level, before Hennessey made a great save in added time to deny Gael Kakuta.

White Noise

Wolves 1-1 Fulham: Sunday Mirror match report

Published 22:00 23/04/11

By Lindsay Sutton

Forgotten striker Andy Johnson broke Wolves hearts with a late equaliser that left his boss blushing.

Former striker Mark Hughes mis-kicked no less than three times when he swung wildly at a waterbottle after Brede Hangeland had been booked by poorly performing referee Michael Oliver.

But Johnson showed the Cottagers' manager the way to do it when he scored 51 seconds after coming on as a substitute in the 79th minute, with his side still chasing the game.

Before the England man's strike, Fulham had been unable to find an answer to Wolves hitman Steve Fletcher's vital goal midway through the first half.

By the time Johnson did his face-saving act, his manager had been banished to the stand as a result of his bottle-kicking antics and exchange with the fourth official.

Hughes admitted: "The fourth official played a part in my dismissal after I'd missed the bottle three times. So poor play on my part. But I was disappointed because Brede had won the ball from the front.

"It was a fair challenge and that's why I reacted."

Wolves were denied one of the three wins boss Mick McCarthy has demanded to secure a third season in the top flight.

At least the point takes them off the bottom and they now face consecutive matches against Midlands rivals Stoke, Birmingham and West Bromwich Albion, though their performance did a lot to rub out painful memories of conceding seven goals in their previous two games.

Big Mick admitted: "It was a fair result overall.

"Fletcher's goal was a good one but I don't think we dominated enough.

"They then sent on key players in Johnson and Bobby Zamora to get the result.

"Now, we have five huge games to play, including three against Midlands teams.

"Still, derbies are inspiring games, though there's no time to breathe before the next one is up."

Relief could be felt all round Molineux when Fletcher nodded home the crucial opener to give Wolves the edge in this full-blooded encounter.

Algerian international Adlene Guedioura did the legwork with a thrusting run down the middle and followed it with a great pass to skipper Karl Henry on his right.

Henry sent a first-time cross into the goalmouth and Fletcher outjumped his marker to power home his eighth of the season.

That equalled his tally at Burnley, in their one season in the Premier League, before his £6.5million move to Wolves, where he struggled to make the first team until the New Year.

But Fulham have only themselves to blame for not getting on the scoresheet in the first half, with American international Clint Dempsey the most guilty player.

A fine move by Steve Sidwell set up Fulham's attacking full-back, Carlos Salcido, and the Mexican international put a fine on-the-run cross into Dempsey's path as he raced in on goal. But somehow, the US star failed to add to his 11-goal tally and scooped the ball over, before sending another effort wide.

Even when Dempsey showed his skill by controlling well at the by-line to tee up Simon Davies, the midfielder could produce only an air shot from a plum position .

Then came timely substitutions by Hughes that enabled Bobby Zamora to make his presence felt and Johnson to demonstrate his shooting ability.

From a Hangeland free-kick, Zamora outmuscled Chris Baird to enable Johnson to rifle home a cracking shot that gave keeper Wayne Hennessey no chance.

Hughes later revealed that Zamora failed to make the starting line- up because he suffered a back injury in training.

The Fulham boss said: "We felt it was important to protect him and use him only as an impact player, coming on as sub, which he did well enough."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wolves-1-1-Fulham-Sunday-Mirror-match-report-Andy-Johnson-scores-late-to-break-Wolves-hearts-article726912.html#ixzz1KPoMhlZ0

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/187725/Wolves-1-Fulham-1-Andy-proves-he-s-got-the-bottle/

WOLVES 1 FULHAM 1: ANDY PROVES HE'S GOT THE BOTTLE

24th April 2011

By Neil Naismith

Wolves 1-1 Fulham

SUB Andy Johnson proved deadly with his first kick – which was more than could be said for his boss Mark Hughes.

The Fulham manager was involved in an amazing cameo after an hour when he was ordered from the dug-out.

Sparky, angered when referee Michael Oliver showed defender Brede Hangeland a yellow card for a foul on Steven Fletcher, twice missed his kick when lashing out in temper at a water bottle.

He nailed it third time, but was then banished to the stand by Oliver after speaking out of turn to the fourth official.

For someone who scored 179 goals for club and country during his illustrious career, Hughes has clearly lost his touch.

But he was able to joke about the incident afterwards with the pain no doubt eased by Johnson's 80th minute equaliser.

Said Hughes: "I was disappointed because I felt Brede had won the ball and the referee interpreted it in a different way and saw fit to book my player. That's why I reacted. The fourth official played a part in my dismissal, probably for missing the bottle three times. So it was poor play from my point of view."

Hughes kept in touch with his dug-out by mobile phone and proved there was nothing wrong with his lines of communication with his inspired introduction of Johnson.

He added: "I'm not looking to take credit, but that's what you want when you make changes. You want them to make an impact.

"I think Andy was on for about eighteen seconds and did just what I wanted him to do. It's great for him. He's lacked goals lately. That's what's been missing from his game and that goal will do him a power of good."

Johnson had no problems with his aim – he needed just one touch after replacing Clint Dempsey to make his mark. He drilled home from 15 yards after Hangeland's long punt dropped neatly into his path.

It was a sickener for Wolves, who were set to climb out of the bottom three thanks to Steven Fletcher's first-half header.

Skipper Karl Henry crossed for Fletcher who outjumped Aaron Hughes to head home his eighth goal of the season.

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy said: "I don't think we dominated the game at all and they put on good players to try and get a result. We defended well but I was disappointed with the way that we conceded the goal.

"Everybody is predicting what it will take to stay up. If we are one goal or one point better off than three others that'll do. Every point is important.

"I think there were other sides who would have been beaten in that game having conceded and we didn't. We have now got five huge, great games to play."

WOLVES: Hennessey 6; Stearman 6, Craddock 6, Berra 6, Ward 6; Guedioura 6 (Kightly (85th), Henry 8, Jarvis 6, Milijas 5 (Mancienne (59th) 6); O'Hara 5; Fletcher 6 (Ebanks-Blake (77th)

FULHAM: Schwarzer 6; Baird 6, Hughes 6, Hangeland 7, Salcido 7; Davies 6, Sidwell 6, Murphy 6 (Kakuta (69th) 6), Dempsey 5 (Johnson (79th); Gudjohnsen 5 (Zamora (69th) 6), Dembele 6

STAR MAN: Karl Henry

Ref: M Oliver

White Noise

WOLVES 1 - FULHAM 1: MARK HUGHES GETS KICK START FROM ANDY JOHNSON

Sunday April 24,2011

By Mike Carey 

Wolves 1 - Fulham 1

SUBSTITUTE Andy Johnson proved deadly with his first kick – which was more than could be said for his boss Mark Hughes.

The Fulham manager was involved in an amazing cameo after an hour when he was ordered from the dug-out after a show of petulance.

Hughes, angered when referee Michael Oliver showed defender Brede Hangeland a yellow card for a foul on Steven Fletcher, twice missed his kick when he lashed out at a water bottle.

He nailed it third time, but was then sent to the stand after confronting the fourth official.

But Hughes joked about the incident afterwards, with the pain no doubt eased by Johnson's 80th minute equaliser.

Said Hughes: "I was disappointed because I felt Brede had won the ball and the referee interpreted it in a different way and saw fit to book my player. That's why I reacted.

"The fourth official played a part in my dismissal, probably for missing the bottle three times. So it was poor play from my point of view."

Hughes, in touch with his dug-out by mobile phone, made an inspired introduction by bringing on Johnson.

He added: "That's what you want when you make changes. You want them to make an impact.

"Andy was on for about 18 seconds and did just what I wanted him to do." 

Johnson drilled home from 15 yards after Hangeland's long punt dropped in his path.

It was a sickener for Wolves, who were on course to climb out of the bottom three thanks to Steven Fletcher's first-half header.

Boss Mick McCarthy said: "They put on good players to try and get a result and were rewarded.

''We defended well and I was disappointed with the way we conceded. We have now got five huge, great games to play."

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/242611/Wolves-1-Fulham-1-Mark-hughes-gets-kick-start-from-Andy-JohnsonWolves-1-Fulham-1-Mark-hughes-gets-kick-start-from-Andy-Johnson#ixzz1KPpjHSg0

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/hughes-sent-packing-for-abuse-of-a-water-bottle-2274151.html

Hughes sent packing for 'abuse of a water bottle'

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Fulham 1

By Arindam Rej at Molineux

Sunday, 24 April 2011

Fulham missed chance after chance here. Thankfully for them, Andy Johnson needed only one, scoring with his first touch after coming on as a substitute to keep Wolves six points behind them in the table.

Defeat would have increased fears that Fulham could be dragged into relegation danger and the strain showed on their manager, Mark Hughes, who was sent off from the dug-out early in the second half while his side trailed 1-0 to Steven Fletcher's header. Hughes had repeatedly kicked at a water bottle and gestured angrily after Brede Hangeland had been booked by the young referee, Michael Oliver, for a challenge on Fletcher. Hughes may find himself in further trouble for his comments about Oliver's performance. He said: "The occasion looked too much for the referee. He probably needs a few more games, possibly at a lower level. I asked him why I got sent off. He said abuse of a water bottle. That's a new one."

Hughes's mood was cheered when Johnson rescued a point, taking advantage as the ball struck Christophe Berra and fell into his path.

Fulham showed attacking intent early on, Simon Davies squaring to Carlos Salcido, whose long-range shot was tipped over. A neat move gave Fulham another opening – Steve Sidwell lofted the ball wide to Salcido, who delivered a brilliant, first-time pass towards the six-yard box where Clint Dempsey slid in and shot over.

For all Wolves' determination, little had been created untilKarl Henry floated in a cross towards the back post and Fletcher leapt to head the ball beyond Mark Schwarzer.

In the second half Fulham started carving out the better openings but were not helped by fussy refereeing. Their forwards' finishing problems continued as Dempsey scuffed a chance from 10 yards and Eidur Gudjohnsen hooked over on the rebound, after Wayne Hennessey had spilled a Davies cross.

Those misses led to the arrivals of substitutes Gaël Kakuta and Bobby Zamora, who was injured by Henry in the reverse fixture. Zamora's first contribution was defensive, clearing the ball off the line from Berra's header.

Fulham threw on another attacker, Johnson. It paid off when Hangeland's long ball from the halfway line was knocked back by Zamora then struck Berra, allowing Johnson to control the ball and fire in.

Attendance: 28,825

Referee: Michael Oliver

Man of the match: Guedioura

Match rating: 7/10

White Noise

Wolves 1 Fulham 1: Hughes banished for losing cool before Johnson turns heat up

By Alex Montgomery

Last updated at 12:35 AM on 24th April 2011

Andy Johnson has always had the capacity to shock with the timing of his goals but never quite so dramatically as this.

What for the Fulham striker was a moment of sheer perfection was the rare dark cloud in an otherwise clear blue sky over Molineux.

Shocker: Andy Johnson (centre) finds himself in the right spot to score an 80th-minute equaliser for Fulham

Wolves had taken the lead with a powerful Steven Fletcher header after 22 minutes and were hanging on for a desperately needed win, albeit with every one of their finger tips.

Johnson struck with the equaliser just moments after replacing Clint Dempsey in the 79th minute.

High and mighty: Wolves's Steven Fletcher (right) opens the scoring

The decision to make the switch was taken by Fulham boss Mark Hughes from a seat in the stand, where he had been sent by referee Michael Oliver after throwing an almighty strop on the touchline.

These were the most significant moments in a match in which every nerve was stretched, every player's character tested.

Golden boys: Wolves celebrate Fletcher's strike

MATCH FACTS
Wolves (4-4-2): Hennessey; Stearman,
Craddock, Berra, Ward; Jarvis, Milijas
(Mancienne 59mins), Henry, Guedioura
(Kightly 85); O'Hara, Fletcher  (Ebanks-Blake 77). Subs (not used): Hahnemann, Vokes, Hammill, Foley. Booked: Stearman, Craddock.
Fulham (4-3-3): Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido; Davies, Sidwell, Murphy (Kakuta 69); Dembele,
Gudjohnsen (Zamora 69), Dempsey
(Johnson 79). Booked: Hangeland,
Baird. Subs (not used): Stockdale,
Kelly, Etuhu, Greening.

Referee: M Oliver (Northumberland).

Wolves are off the bottom but still in grave danger of losing their place at the top table.

But manager Mick McCarthy said: 'We can survive. We can do it. We have five huge games to play. We are motivated and have been for 33 matches now.'

Hughes laughed off his touchline hysterics, which involved arm waving, a swipe at a water bottle and no doubt choice words aimed at the fourth official.

His fury erupted when Oliver booked Brede Hangeland for what Hughes felt was a perfectly legal tackle on Fletcher.

He said: 'I was disappointed as I felt Brede took the ball fairly. I think the fourth official played a part in my dismissal for missing the bottle I was aiming at three times.'

Fletcher's strike was a gem, so simple and lethal and at a time when Wolves were increasingly under pressure.

It was not a question of any lack of commitment but they were less comfortable on the ball and that was justifiably down to the realisation of their plight.

Gud two shoes: Eidur Gudjohnsen (left) impressed on his Fulham debut, despite this two-footed challenge on Steven Fletcher

Fletcher's goal raised Wolves' morale and should have been enough to relax the tension.

Karl Henry's run down the right was the key; a perfect cross and Fletcher rose to meet the ball and direct it with unstoppable precision past goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

Howling Wolves: Johnson (right) scores the equalising goal

But even after taking the lead, Wolves failed to make any real impact on a London side hardly rampant but always looking capable of finding a higher gear.

That came in extraordinary circumstances when the Fulham boss decided to replace Dempsey with former England striker Johnson.

Fawlty Fulham: Mark Hughes reacts on the touchline before he is sent off by the referee

The man who has had to confront and beat injury problems, turned to control a touch from Bobby Zamora, who had come on for Eidur Gudjohnsen, and from one yard inside the box drove in a right-foot shot.

While Wolves' future is in the balance, Fulham can now prepare for another season among the big boys.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1379872/Wolves-1-Fulham-1-Hughes-banished-losing-cool-Johnson-turns-heat-up.html#ixzz1KPqYfe3m

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9466655.stm

Wolves can stay up despite draw, says Mick McCarthy

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy is confident his second-from-bottom side can survive

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy is confident his side can avoid relegation despite being held to a 1-1 draw by Fulham.

Steven Fletcher put Wolves on their way to a win that would have hauled them clear of the bottom three, but Andrew Johnson hit an 80th-minute equaliser.

"It might be the point that keeps us in the league, who knows?" McCarthy mused.

"Everybody is predicting what it will take. I predict maybe one point or one goal more than three others [relegation rivals] - and we can still do it."

Things looked good for Wolves when Fletcher put them ahead against the run of play on 22 minutes.

But substitute Johnson, who had only been on the field for 18 seconds, denied the home side a priceless win.

The result leaves McCarthy's side, who were bottom of the league table at the beginning of the afternoon, in 19th place on 33 points, one adrift of both Wigan and 17th-placed Blackpool, both of whom have played a game more.

Mathematically, therefore, Wolves' fate remains in their own hands - which means McCarthy won't be throwing in the towel just yet.

"Every point is hard to get - Fulham are a good side," he said.

"I think other teams could have gone on and got beaten in that game, having conceded how we did and that late on.

"But we haven't, so we'll take the point, take the positives and keep going with five more games to play. There will be no defeatists here or negativity at all."

Nor will there be any talk of Wolves needing nine more points to achieve safety, a view which McCarthy insists has been wrongly attributed to him.

"Three wins would be lovely, but I'm not so sure it will take that," he added.

"You tell me all the teams out of the bottom three that are going to get those two or three wins, and where they are going to come from.

"I don't know, so I'm not going to put pressure on our lot by saying we need three wins.

"We don't - we just need one point more than three others. Who knows where that will come from, but I still think we will get it."

McCarthy's Fulham counterpart, Mark Hughes, played down the show of anger that led to him being sent to the stands by referee Michael Oliver following a Brede Hangeland booking.

"I was disappointed because I felt Brede had won the ball," said Hughes, who made something of a meal of kicking over a row of pitchside water bottles.

"The referee interpreted it in a different way and saw it fit to book my player for a challenge I thought was fair, so that is why I reacted.

"Probably the fourth official played a part in my dismissal and it was for missing the bottle I was aiming at three times - that was poor play from my point of view!"

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9462364.stm

Wolverhampton   1 - 1   Fulham

Substitute Andy Johnson scored a dramatic late leveller for Fulham

By Les Roopanarine 

Relegation strugglers Wolves were denied a priceless win as a dramatic late intervention from substitute Andy Johnson earned Fulham a point.

Johnson, introduced on 79 minutes with the visitors trailing, had been on the field for only 18 seconds when he slammed home a Bobby Zamora lay-off.

Steven Fletcher had earlier put Wolves ahead, nodding home from six yards after Karl Henry's far-post cross.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes was sent off for his furious reaction to a booking.

Johnson's strike provided a suitably theatrical finale to a match that began with Danny Murphy cast in the role of pantomime villain and ended in a fashion Wolves manager Mick McCarthy will probably have deemed closer to tragedy.

Click to play
McCarthy satisfied with point
With 10 minutes to go, McCarthy's side - who started the contest bottom of the Premier League table - were heading for a win that would have hauled them clear of the relegation zone.

Having taken the lead against the run of play midway through the first half, Wolves had defended tigerishly up to that point and looked firm favourites to see the game out.

But Johnson's strike, driven home emphatically after Zamora had set him up from a long ball into the box, ensured that Fulham would return home with something to show for an afternoon of ceaseless endeavour.

It was probably no more than they deserved from a game played in a febrile atmosphere.

Murphy, in particular, endured a torrid time on his first visit to Molineux since remarking - in the wake of last September's reverse fixture, in which an Henry tackle left Zamora with a broken leg - that Wolves were "too pumped up" for Premier League combat.

Both managers subsequently exonerated Henry of any blame for the incident but that did not stop the Molineux support - doubtless stoked up by Henry's pre-match suggestion that Murphy should "worry about his own team" - subjecting the Fulham midfielder to a relentless chorus of derision.

Click to play
Game was too much for ref - Hughes
The charged atmosphere seemed to animate the visitors more than their opponents, and for the opening 20 minutes life was less than comfortable for the home defence.

No one was more prominent for Fulham than Carlos Salcido. Not content with drawing a flying save from keeper Wayne Hennessy in the opening moments, the livewire left-back then delivered a perfect cross for Clint Dempsey, who somehow contrived to fire over from six yards out with the goal at his mercy.

Wolves were feeling the heat, and the temperature rose further when Richard Stearman made a poor challenge on Eidur Gudjohnsen, incensing the Fulham striker's team-mates and drawing a predictable booking from referee Michael Oliver.

The Ashington official's next major decision was similarly straightforward, as Fletcher made Fulham pay for their profligacy by out-jumping Aaron Hughes to head in Henry's right-wing centre.

The Scotland international's fifth league goal of the season did little to allay the tension and the half ended with further incident as Henry was flattened by a Murphy challenge and Fulham's Steve Sidwell wrestled Jamie O'Hara to the floor.

Fulham continued to create, too, although Simon Davies will doubtless wish to forget his failure to connect with an inviting ball from Dempsey.

More threatening was Chris Baird's cross from the right shortly after the break, which eluded the prone Hennessy's grasp and would have presented the lurking Moussa Dembele with a tap-in, had Henry not nipped in ahead of the Belgian to clear.

The breathless pace continued, Adlene Guedioura drawing a sprawling save from Schwarzer at one end before Gudjohnsen marred a weaving run into the box by blasting over.

Already a goal down, Fulham then lost their manager, referee Oliver sending Hughes to the stands for his furious reaction to the somewhat harsh booking administered for Brede Hangeland's sliding challenge on Fletcher.

Johnson's late intervention doubtless improved the Welshman's humour and Hughes might have had even greater cause for cheer had Hennessy not thwarted substitute Gael Kakuta late on.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/23/wolverhampton-fulham-premier-league

Andy Johnson's late equaliser sends a shiver through Wolves

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Fletcher 22
Fulham 1 Andrew Johnson 80

Stuart James at Molineux guardian.co.uk, Saturday 23 April 2011 17.38 BST 

Andy Johnson produces his later equalise for Fulham at Wolverhampton. Photograph: Michael Regan/Getty Images

Wolverhampton Wanderers' supporters had taken great delight in the sight of Mark Hughes being sent off following his fit of pique on the touchline but there was no doubt who was happier come the final whistle. Andy Johnson's late equaliser, which he scored with his first touch after coming off the bench to replace Clint Dempsey, denied Wolves three crucial points that would have lifted them out of the relegation zone.

Results elsewhere mean the damage is not terminal for Mick McCarthy's side, but this was viewed as a must-win game. Fulham might have worried about their own league position had they departed without a point, but a draw was the least they deserved from a fractious contest that they controlled for long periods. The only surprise was that it took the visitors so long to take one of their many chances and penetrate a Wolves defence that never looked comfortable.

Hughes was watching from the stands when Johnson struck, having been dismissed from the dugout for a tantrum that made for comical viewing. The Fulham manager was furious with the referee, Michael Oliver, for booking Brede Hangeland and reacted by aiming a kick at the water bottle in his technical area. He needed three attempts before he made contact, prompting jeers from the crowd that got considerably louder when Oliver pointed him in the direction of the tunnel.

"I was disappointed because I felt Brede had won the ball and the referee interpreted it in a different way," said Hughes. "The fourth official played a part in my dismissal, probably for [seeing me kick] the bottle three times. So it was poor play from my point of view."

It was not the only flashpoint in a fixture that always had the potential to ignite because of Danny Murphy's comments in the wake of Karl Henry breaking Bobby Zamora's leg in September. The Fulham captain implied McCarthy was one of those managers who sent his teams out "so pumped up that there is inevitably going to be problems". No surprise, then, that Murphy and Henry were involved in a skirmish on the stroke of half-time here.

Steven Fletcher had put Wolves ahead by that point, the Wolves striker emphatically heading Henry's centre past Mark Schwarzer in the 22nd minute. They could, however, have easily been a man down had Oliver not taken such a lenient view of Richard Stearman's reckless lunge on Eidur Gudjohnsen – the Wolves defender escaped with a yellow card. The Wolves goal was also living a charmed life as Carlos Salcido, Demspey and Gudjohnsen all threatened.

Hughes called for the changes that led to Gaël Kakuta, Bobby Zamora and Johnson coming on. A header from Christophe Berra dropped at Johnson's feet and the forward drilled the ball home to leave the Wolves fans deflated.

"We can still do it," said McCarthy. "Every point really is a prisoner. We've got five huge games to play."

THE FANS' PLAYER RATINGS AND VERDICT
TIM SPIERS, Observer reader After taking an early lead we were definitely playing for a 1-0 but I thought we looked very flat. We thought we had a good run-in with our last eight games against lower sides, but we have only got one point from our last three. I think we will still manage to stay up, but we really do need something from our game at Stoke on Tuesday.

The fan's player ratings Hennessey 6; Stearman 7, Craddock 8, Berra 7, Ward 6; Guedioura 6 (Kightly 85 n/a), Henry 6, Milijas 5 (Mancienne 59 7), Jarvis 7; O'Hara 7; Fletcher 8 (Ebanks-Blake 77 6)

CHRIS LLOYD, Observer reader Andy Johnson was fantastic at last. When he came on everyone was saying: "Oh no," but within two minutes he'd scored. He's earned his money for a change. Perhaps this will give him the confidence he seems to have been lacking recently. It wasn't much of a game today. I thought Wolves were a very dirty team – quite a disgrace. I won't be sorry if they go down.

The fan's player ratings Schwarzer 6; Baird 6, Hughes 6, Hangeland 7, Salcido 4; Davies 6, Sidwell 5, Murphy 6 (Kakuta 69 7), Dempsey 4 (Johnson 79 7); Gudjohnsen 5 (Zamora 69 7); Dembélé 6

To take part in the Fans' Verdict, email [email protected]

White Noise

One of Those Days

Saturday 23rd April 2011

Andrew Johnson described himself as delighted on Saturday evening after he came on as a late substitute to score Fulham's equalising goal against Wolves with his first involvement.

But he admitted that, on another day, the number of chances created by his team-mates before his introduction would have been enough to put them into a commanding lead.

In the end though, the 79th minute sub found himself in the right place at the right time to pounce on Bobby Zamora's knock-down, take a touch and smash the ball past Wayne Hennessey to secure a share of the points, which was no less than the Whites deserved.

"I'm delighted," he enthused. "Delighted to get the point and delighted to get on the score sheet.

"It was a great touch down from Bobby and I was just pleased to see my strike go in.

"We played really, really well today. I don't think we've created that many chances away from home in a long time. We were unfortunate not to win. If we had got the first goal a lot earlier I think it could have been three or four-one, but we didn't get it and they made it a tough game for us.

"It's always a physical battle against Wolves and I think you could tell how delighted we were to get the equalising goal so late on. In the end we're happy with a point, but on another day it could have been more."

Indeed, at one stage it looked like Fulham were destined to draw a blank, as a succession of opportunities presented themselves, only for the final shot to lack precision. The home side's goal led a charmed life before Johnson eventually found the net.

"It was just one of those days," he reflected. "Eidur and Mousa were fantastic for us. Eidur's ball control and the way he retained it for the team was amazing, and Mousa's skill spoke for itself. It was just a shame we couldn't convert the positive play into goals.

"The whole team were fantastic in what was a great away performance, so everyone's a little disappointed to have not got more than a point, but I think getting the goal so late on, you settle for a draw."

It was Johnson's first goal since the trip to Villa in February, and after watching it hit the back of the net, the striker quickly made his way to the other end of the field to celebrate with the Fulham fans who had been in fine voice all afternoon.

"I had a good run in the team and got some form back, but I missed the United game with a little hamstring niggle, but I'm over that now, and just delighted to get back on the score sheet," he explained. "Now I'm looking forward to the last five games.

"The fans were fantastic, and it was an absolutely tremendous turn out today, especially considering it's Easter weekend. A lot of people have put themselves out to come up here, so when I scored I wanted to dedicate it to them."

The point took Fulham to 39 points, one short of the number traditionally regarded as guaranteeing Premier League safety, but Johnson isn't sure of any guarantees in a season as unpredictable as this one. Instead, he assures Fulham fans that the team will continue to focus and prepare meticulously for every one of the remaining matches until the season is over.

"I don't think you can say you're safe at any point," he opined. "It's so tight at the bottom of the table, and there's still a lot to play for in these last five games.

"Every year people talk about the 40-point mark, but it might be higher than that this year, because everyone keeps beating everyone else down at the bottom. It's the closest run-in I've ever been involved in come the back-end of a season, so we have to take every game as it comes and try and take what we can from each one.

"But at the moment I don't think anyone is safe from 10th downwards, so we're looking forward to the game against Bolton on Wednesday and then the visit to Sunderland next weekend as chances to secure our safety."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/AJWolvesReaction.aspx#ixzz1KPu7bLXC

White Noise

Super Subs

Saturday 23rd April 2011

Substitutes Bobby Zamora and Andrew Johnson combined in the second-half to earn Fulham a well-deserved share of the points against Wolves at Molineux on Saturday afternoon. 

And Mark Hughes was certainly pleased with the determination showed by his side, as he stated after the match.

"We've got to be pleased with taking something out of the game," said the Fulham Manager. "From our point of view the worst-case scenario was to allow Wolves to score first. That's what happened and it made a for hard day for us.

"If we'd have taken any one of the chances that we created early on I think we would have comfortably won the game. That would have caused Wolves to come out and try and get back on level terms and I think we would have very quickly picked them off.

"But because they had something to fight for and protect it was more difficult for us. But we kept going and thankfully we got something out of the game. It's a difficult fixture on paper and we had to be strong today and show character to get back on level terms."

With Fulham searching for a way back into the came, the equaliser came from the right boot of substitute Andrew Johnson, just 18 seconds after the front man entered the fray.

"When you make changes you want them to make an impact and they certainly did" Hughes assessed. "Bobby used his physical presence in the key area of the field and AJ did exactly what I hoped he would do. It was great for him because he lacked goals of late and that's the only thing that's been missing from his performances. That goal will do him the power of good."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/HughesWolvesReaction.aspx#ixzz1KPuLVloV

White Noise

Wolves Photo Special

Some of the best images from Saturday afternoon's draw with Wolves at Molineux.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/WolvesPhotoSpecial.aspx

White Noise

Wolves 1 - 1 Fulham

From the blazing sunshine and warm temperatures, the afternoon almost had the feel of a pre-season friendly as supporters of both clubs made their way to the ground in short sleeves, but once the first whistle blew, it became clear that there was much more at stake than gaining a bit of match fitness.

Sitting at the foot of the Premier League table, Wolves knew that nothing less than three points would do from the first of just three remaining home games, as they desperately try to retain their top-flight status.

Six points better off, on 38, the Whites were aware that one more win would likely secure an 11th consecutive season in England's top division, and make a positive step toward the aim of a top 10 finish. There was a lot to play for, and it showed, in a game that began at a 100 miles per hour and continued that way.

Fulham pushed forward from the off and threatened to score twice in the opening minutes. Attacking down the right, Simon Davies played a low cross from the edge of the penalty area to the opposite side of the box, where Carlos Salcido had the time to set the ball before unleashing a stinging right-footed drive, which Wayne Hennessy had to stretch full length across his goal to tip over the bar.

From the resulting corner Brede Hangeland found the space at the back post to head the ball back across the goal, but in a goalmouth scramble, Wolves managed to clear to safety.

Davies, returning to the side after missing a few games through injury, was lively in the early exchanges and looked a likely source of joy for the Whites. Another returning to the line-up was Steve Sidwell, and some purposeful running from him just after the quarter of an hour fashioned a half-chance for Dempsey on the left of the box, but the US star couldn't get his shot low enough and it fizzed over.

Seconds later came the talking point of the first-half, as Wolves' Richard Stearman made a dangerous, two-footed challenge on Eidur Gudjohnsen. Fortunately for the Fulham man, he was able to evade the defender's flying studs. Luckier still was Stearman who escaped with only a yellow card for what could easily have warranted a harsher punishment.

And Wolves had a let-off of another kind moments later as Dempsey spurned a golden opportunity to put Fulham ahead. Sidwell sprayed the ball wide left to Salcido who played a perfect, first-time ball to the edge of the six-yard box where Clint was sliding in. But he couldn't control his effort, knocking the ball over the bar without troubling Hennessey.

As their formation suggested, the hosts were set up to attempt to soak up Fulham pressure and hit on the break. And that's exactly what they did on 21 minutes. After winning a corner from nothing, the danger was half-cleared from the resultant set piece, but the home side came again. Guedioura knocked the ball wide to the right where Karl Henry was waiting to deliver a tempting cross that hung in the air just perfectly for Steven Fletcher who managed to get above Aaron Hughes and head past Schwarzer to send the home fans into raptures.

With the goal they so desperately needed in the bag, Wolves visibly settled a little, though the game did not, switching from end-to-end. In Fulham's attack, Sidwell tried a cute chipped pass over the defence, but Dempsey couldn't quite reach it, and at the other end Guedioura and O'Hara saw wild, speculative efforts fly over either side of a Schwarzer save from a Jarvis corner.

After a quiet 15 minutes or so, Fulham crafted a great chance in the closing moments of the half. Some Dembele skill in the middle opened up the space into which he was able to play a low pass to Gudjohnsen. With his back to goal, the Icelander held off his man until Dempsey ran through. He shaped to shoot, and only a late intervention from a back-tracking defender prevented a clean shot – instead the ball rolling out for a corner.

At the other end, O'Hara threatened to double Wolves' lead, receiving the ball in the box and swivelling to shoot at goal. Hangeland made a desperate dive to block his effort, but the shot drilled wide anyway.

Then the last chance of the half came from Dempsey again. After some more midfield battling, Sidwell and Murphy dispossessed Henry and fed Clint, who fired across goal, but off-target.

Both sides were unchanged as they emerged for the second-half, and the flow of play continued much the same too, the first chance coming Fulham's way. Hennessey fumbled a low cross and Dembele was well-placed to capitalise. However, it didn't quite fall for the Fulham man, and Wolves were able to scrap it away.

At the other end Schwarzer then had to be alert to deny a long-range effort from O'Hara. The midfielder's powerful low shot requiring a full-stretch, low save to the right.

Taking on much of the same end-to-end rhythm of the first half, Gudjohnsen then threatened for Fulham. Picking up a loose ball on the edge of the area, he dribbled across the Wolves defence, before bursting into the box. Unfortunately, he maybe took one too many touches, pushing the ball too wide to allow a clear strike at goal, and his eventual effort from wide failed to threaten, flying over instead.

Also consistent from the first-half was an undercurrent of animosity, and tempers flared again 15 minutes into the second period. Brede Hangeland was booked for what appeared to be a fair challenge on Fletcher, and Mark Hughes was not afraid to show how he felt about the decision. Referee Mike Oliver felt the need to send the Fulham boss to the stands to cool down.

Fulham were still enjoying the better of the chances though, and the particularly outstanding Gudjohnsen laid another inviting ball to Dempsey on the edge of the area, but unfortunately again the US Star couldn't connect properly, his shot bobbling just wide of the right post. Moments later Sidwell had a powerful low drive from outside of the area saved by Hennessey, despite a deflection.

Sensing the game was still there to be taken, Fulham made two changes on 70 minutes. Bobby Zamora and Gael Kakuta were introduced in place of Eidur Gudjohnsen and Danny Murphy.

And both men were soon in the action, Kakuta creating a chance out of nothing from the right, as he advanced forward into a shooting position before firing in a low shot, which Hennessey easily saved. Then at the other end, Zamora was in the right place at the right time to prevent a goalbound effort from a corner, calmly chesting the ball down before clearing to safety to keep Fulham in the game.

Soon after Schwarzer had to save again to deny a deflected shot from Fletcher, the goal scorer's last piece of action, before being replaced by Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.

With 12 minutes remaining Fulham then made a third substitution, Andrew Johnson being introduced in place of Clint Dempsey. And the change paid immediate dividends.

A high ball into the box found Zamora who got a foot to it, laying it back to where Johnson was waiting. The striker took one touch before firing straight into the middle of the goal, the out of position Hennessey only able to get a slight touch as it flew in, and Johnson ran to the other end of the pitch to celebrate his first goal since February with the travelling support.

It was a more than deserved equaliser, but the Whites weren't satisfied with a point as they continued to press.

As the game moved into injury time, the lively Kakuta showed Fulham were still looking for the win, forcing a fine save with a powerful shot from the right. Zamora headed the resultant deflection across the goal, and it eventually fell to Kakuta again, but this time his shot flew across the face of goal and out for a goal kick.

It was the last real chance on an afternoon of much action, as Wolves held on for a barely warranted, but valuable point.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/1011/Premiership/WolvesAway.aspx#ixzz1KPv1cUnw

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11699_6892184,00.html

Wolves at the door

More nervous times ahead for Mick's men, says Charlie

Last Updated: April 23, 2011 7:26pm

Charlie Nicholas watched nerves get the better of Wolves - and predicted even more tense times ahead.

Mick McCarthy's men managed to climb off the foot of the table with a point against Fulham, but are still rooted firmly in the relegation places.

They travel to Stoke next and although they are only one point behind 17th-placed Blackpool, Nicholas expects them to make a return to the Championship come the end of the season.

"It's going to be extremely tough especially with Stoke away," he told Soccer Saturday. "I think it will be difficult for Wolves.

"It was nervy today - they couldn't keep the ball that well. The lad Stephen Ward sat in at left-back today and they seemed to be on his back quite quickly the fans.

"I don't know why that he is, because he seems to have a nice left foot and likes to get forward when he can.

"Mick keeps talking about hard-working and that's what Wolves are, all over. Every member of their squad is just that.

Spilled

"I thought if anything Fulham deserved at least a draw and probably should've won because the chances they made were far superior."

Wolves went ahead through Steven Fletcher's neat header from a Karl Henry cross but were forced to ride their luck on several occasions.

Keeper Wayne Hennessey made several fine stops but could do little about Andy Johnson's equaliser, the fit-again striker finishing smartly within seconds of replacing Clint Dempsey.

"Andy Johnson came off the bench and within 15 seconds it was one touch, bang, he'd scored the goal - but they could've scored five today Fulham," said Nicholas.

"They were very nervy but very fortunate, Wolves. Hennessy made three or four top-class saves but he also spilled three or four.

"All I could say is I thoroughly enjoyed watching Fulham today.

"They looked as if they had no worries about relegation - it was all about getting something from the game today."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3285049,00.html

Wolves thwarted by Johnson

Fletcher opener cancelled out by substitute's late strike

Last updated: 23rd April 2011   

Fletcher rises highest to head Wolves in front

Man of the match: Karl Henry. Assisted Steven Fletcher's goal and battled hard throughout the game, notably making a superb tackle on Moussa Dembele that denied an almost certain goal.

Goal of the match: Fletcher powerfully headed home from Henry's superb cross to break the deadlock for Wolves.

Moment of the match: Mark Hughes reacted angrily to Brede Hangeland being booked and was promptly sent to the stands after kicking a water bottle.

Save of the match: It came after just a couple of minutes but Wayne Hennessey, by far the busier keeper, pulled off a superb stop to keep out Carlos Salcido's long-range strike.

Talking point: Have Wolves missed a huge opportunity to take a significant stride towards safety?

Andrew Johnson struck almost immediately after coming on as a substitute to salvage a 1-1 draw for Fulham and deny Wolves a precious victory.

Mick McCarthy has repeatedly insisted this season that he would prefer to earn points than plaudits for performances, and he appeared set to get his wish thanks to Steven Fletcher's first-half goal in a game dominated by the Cottagers for long periods.

Fulham had looked dangerous in the early stages without making the most of their chances, and Wolves took the lead against the run of play on 22 minutes when Fletcher powered home a header from Karl Henry's pinpoint right-wing cross.

However, Fulham, who saw manager Mark Hughes sent to the stands for his angry reaction to a Brede Hangeland booking, were finally rewarded with just ten minutes left to play.

The ball broke loose following an aerial challenge between Christophe Berra and Bobby Zamora and Johnson slammed home a shot to ensure the game ended all square.

The point inches Fulham towards guaranteed safety, but Wolves remain in the relegation zone.

On the ropes
Wolves were on the ropes in the opening moments as a fierce shot from Carlos Salcido brought a diving save out of Wayne Hennessey.

Moussa Dembele then tried a speculative effort from distance that sailed well over.

Next up was Clint Dempsey, cutting into box after being fed by Steve Sidwell, but the American could not get his shot on target.

Dempsey then missed Fulham's best chance yet, putting the ball over from the edge of the six-yard box after stretching to meet Salcido's cross.

It was not until the 21st minute that Wolves made their first real attempt at goal as Adlene Guedioura's header deflected wide.

Seconds later, though, they had the lead as Fletcher rose to nod in Henry's delivery.

Wolves appealed for a penalty when Richard Stearman fell in the box under a challenge from Dempsey, but the assistant referee ruled that the defender had been offside.

The hosts continued to press, although both Guedioura and Jamie O'Hara showed a lack of composure in unleashing wild shots that went nowhere near Mark Schwarzer's goal.

Dempsey struck narrowly wide and moments later the forward teed up Simon Davies, who failed to connect with the ball properly.

In first-half stoppage-time O'Hara turned in the area and hit an effort the wrong side of the post.

Wolves had a scare soon after the restart when Hennessey flapped at a cross from Chris Baird, but Henry was there to avert the danger with Dembele lurking.

Two minutes later Wolves were on the attack and Guedioura sent a low drive at Schwarzer, who dived to catch it.

Murphy booed

Eidur Gudjohnsen, making his first Fulham start, was allowed to wriggle through, but the Icelander could only scoop his shot over.

Fulham captain Danny Murphy - booed by the home crowd with every touch of the ball due to his comments earlier in the season about Wolves and dangerous tackling - had already been involved in a skirmish with Henry.

It was the Cottagers' manager who failed to control himself in the 56th minute, though, after Hangeland had been shown a yellow card for a challenge on Fletcher.

Hughes was incensed by the decision and his remonstrations with the officials led to him being sent to the stand by referee Michael Oliver.

Gudjohnsen picked out Dempsey, who miscued his shot, before hooking an effort of his own over the bar after Hennessey had only been able to palm a cross to him.

Gudjohnsen was then substituted for Zamora, with Gael Kakuta also coming on in place of Murphy.

Kakuta shot wide before Fletcher twice fired in for Wolves, one going off target and Schwarzer saving the other.

That was the Scotland striker's last contribution as he was replaced by Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, and Hughes made a further change by introducing Johnson for Dempsey in the 79th minute.

Moments after Johnson took to the field, Zamora tussled with Berra for a ball into the box and it fell to the former Everton man, who dispatched a shot past Hennessey and into the net.

Ebanks-Blake missed with a header five minutes from the end, but it was Fulham who might have snatched victory at the death, Kakuta bringing a save out of Hennessey and then striking wide.

Wolverhampton Wanderers
Team Statistics
Fulham

1 Goals

1 1st Half Goals

4 Shots on Target

6 Shots off Target

1 Blocked Shots

3 Corners

17 Fouls

3 Offsides

2 Yellow Cards

0 Red Cards

66.8 Passing Success

14 Tackles

85.7 Tackles Success

42.1 Possession

44.9 Territorial Advantage

White Noise

Wolves-Fulham was too much for referee - Mark Hughes

BBC Video Interview -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13178367.stm

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6892099,00.html

Hughes unhappy with ref

Fulham boss praises character of troops after Wolves draw

Last Updated: April 23, 2011 6:37pm

Mark Hughes felt referee Michael Oliver's decision to send him to the stands during Fulham's 1-1 draw with Wolves was 'petty'.

The Cottagers manager was banished from the touchline early in the second half after disagreeing with a yellow card handed out to Brede Hangeland for what Oliver deemed to be a foul on Steven Fletcher.

Hughes kicked a water bottle in frustration and admitted after the final whistle that he had been stunned by some of the officiating.

Asked why he had been told to go and sit in the stands, Hughes told Sky Sports: "It was for abuse of a water bottle, which is a new one on me, and maybe because I missed my kick three times before I made contact.

"But it was a little bit petty I felt. I was a little bit upset because I thought Brede Hangeland made a fair challenge and won the ball, and the referee saw fit to book him.

"It was a little bit frustrating for myself and Mick (McCarthy) today I think. On a couple of occasions the official has made decisions that mystified both of us."

Comfortable
Fulham carved out the better chances throughout the match at Molineux but fell behind to a Steven Fletcher goal.

Hughes confident of survival
.Wolves then defended their lead resolutely until Andrew Johnson equalised moments after coming on as a substitute in the 80th minute, and Hughes felt it was the least his side deserved.

Reflecting on how he felt when Wolves opened the scoring, Hughes said: "We were scratching our heads because we'd made a number of clear chances and were playing well.

"But we had to show character today and we got back on level terms and could have won it."

The result took Fulham onto 39 points but, despite not being quite safe yet, Hughes is looking up rather than down.

He explained: "We have got five games until the end of the season and we are looking to get points in each and every one of them, and if we do that we will be more than comfortable and we feel we'll be in the top half rather than the bottom."

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/04/23/wolves-1-1-fulham/

Wolves 1-1 Fulham

Filed under: Match reports — rich @ 5:29 pm

These points all count, you know. Wolves are a poor side by reputation and by league position, but they are also strangely dangerous, and will have certainly seen today as a great chance to take three points. That they didn't was a result of Fulham's spirited and occasionally excellent display, and especially Andy Johnson's late equaliser.

The first half was terrific, initially. Carlos Salcido thwacked a drive towards the top-corner, only to see it pawed away. Sidwell released the same player down the left with a nice dink over the defence, Salcido volleyed across goal, Dempsey, at full stretch, blasted high from not far out. What a goal it would've been.  Next Simon Davies made a mess of a good chance, his feet all of a muddle.

Then Wolves scored, some nice work on the right, a good cross, a good header. Stephen Fletcher thumped it home quite convincingly so we might wonder what happened to the defence, but perhaps sometimes there will be crosses like those that find their man so perfectly that little can be done. Who can say? Whatever: Wolves were ahead, and didn't deserve to be.

Fulham didn't seem to know how to react, and the game became a bit more even from here. Eidur Gudjohnson had a decent effort towards the end of the half, a shot that if nothing else reminded us that he was on the pitch.

The second half was more of the same. Mark Hughes got himself sent off for kicking a water bottle several times, his frustration understandable after Hangeland's incorrect yellow card (the manager now has a worse disciplinary record than his namesake at centre-back). Fulham withdrew Gudjohnson, Murphy and later Dempsey, bringing on Zamora, Kakuta and Johnson.

They were inspired changes, as it happened. A long ball into the area was won (or at least contested) by Zamora, dropped to Johnson, whose shot flew in via what appeared to be a deflection.  Those of us who have been critical of Johnson must take this on the chin: he did exactly what we needed him to do here.

And so it goes. Not quite safe, not quite in danger. Absent anything weird happening there's still nothing too much to worry about, but this season is starting to feel like a cold you can't get rid of.

White Noise

Mick McCarthy satisfied with Wolves draw against Fulham

BBC Video Interview -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13177022.stm