watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army

Started by bog, April 24, 2011, 11:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I watched the 'United' programe tonight. Obviously very emotional. I obviously recall the excitement of us getting to the semi final of the Cup against them that season. Usually the whole country is behind the underdogs but that season all wanted United to win. We drew the first game 2-2 at Villa Park and then the replay was live on the BBC with a 3pm kick off on the following Wednesday at Highbury. I think that this was the first time a semi final had been shown live on the small screen (9inches back then!). I then became one of many who was off school with a toothache....anyone else off with a simlar ailment back then?   
  In the drama tonight they showed the actual footage of the match and we caught a glimpse of Tony Macedo and a few white shirts as one of their goals went in. We lost 3-5 but Johnny Haynes equalised at 4-4 only for the ref to deny this for hand ball...which he strenuously denied. Seems only yesterday....           

Peabody

Yes Bog I was starting my National Service the next day, so it stands out, also, we were a 2nd div team then but everyone bar us were routing for United.

Fernhurst

Oh Bog, what memories..... I was 8 and not allowed to miss school but I ran like the wind to get home and join my Dad ( who worked in retail but in those days got a half day off on a Wednesday) I remember feeling so disappointed ( better get used to it Son!) but still being aware of feeling sorry for Man U over Munich ( what changed days).
When Duncan Edwards finally died after the crash it was the first time I can remember catching a glimpse of myself crying in the mirror and the first time crying over an "event" and not because I had skinned my knee.