watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (25.04.11)

Started by White Noise, April 25, 2011, 06:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/25/wolverhampton-wanderers-fulham-premier-league

Wolves captain Karl Henry reignites feud with Fulham's Danny Murphy

• Midfielder takes swipe at 'big mouth' Fulham captain

• Hughes sent off and blames tight trousers for botched kicks

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Fletcher 22

Fulham 1 Andrew Johnson 80

Stuart James at Molineux The Guardian, Monday 25 April 2011 

Fulham's Andrew Johnson celebrates with Simon Davies after scoring against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molineux. Photograph: Paul Currie/Action Images

Karl Henry has reignited his feud with Danny Murphy by describing the Fulham midfielder as a "bit of a big mouth" and accusing him of changing the way his team are perceived by referees and the public. The Wolves captain also believes that Murphy either "nutted or elbowed" him in an incident that went unpunished at the end of the first half of a fractious encounter on Saturday.

Wolves were upset with the Fulham captain after he spoke out in the wake of Henry breaking Bobby Zamora's leg at Craven Cottage in September. A month later Murphy suggested that Wolves were one of three clubs whose players are sent out "so pumped up, there is inevitably going to be problems". The remarks went down badly at Molineux, and Henry believes that Wolves, who remain in the bottom three, have been victimised ever since.

"We had seven yellow cards [at Craven Cottage] and everything that has happened after that has not helped our season," said Henry. "Murphy's comments have changed the public perception of us and maybe the referees' perception of us, too. It's taken us a long time to lose that tag. [But] it's been dragged up again today because we were playing Fulham.

"We thought we had lost that tag a long time before we played Newcastle away [at the start of the month]. [But] it seems the referee up there had it in his mind straight away that he was going to book us. The advice was to not do anything silly and not pick up any silly yellow cards. We picked [them] up anyway. The referee identified that we were targeting Joey Barton. That was a load of rubbish. That flatters Joey Barton a ridiculous amount because we don't even talk about him in our team talks."

Asked whether Murphy said anything to him on Saturday, Henry replied: "Not really, there was nothing much said on the pitch. I think he's just a bit of a big mouth. He doesn't really want to say much on it. He just says it off it."

There was, however, an incident before the interval, when Henry got up from the floor holding his face after Murphy clashed with him. "He came in and nutted me or elbowed me. I'm not quite sure what it was," said Henry. "The referee [Michael Oliver] was two yards away and didn't quite see it. That's how it goes."

The referee certainly had a decent view of Richard Stearman's reckless lunge on Eidur Gudjohnsen but opted for a yellow card when it could easily have been red. Mark Hughes was not so fortunate. The Fulham manager felt that Brede Hangeland was unfairly cautioned for a tackle from behind on Steven Fletcher, who put Wolves in the lead before Andrew Johnson equalised within seconds of coming off the bench. Unable to contain his anger at the referee's decision, Hughes took three kicks at a water bottle in his technical area and was promptly sent to the stands.

"I got sent off for attacking a medical bag once but this time it was for abusing a water bottle and aggression in the technical area," Hughes said. "It's a new one on me, and I did go in and ask the referee for clarification. I hadn't been warned before and I thought he could have come over for a quiet word. I didn't even kick [the water bottle] properly – my trousers were too tight and I couldn't take a proper swing at it – that's why I miscued it twice. Perhaps I should have flicked it up and volleyed it."

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/johnson-shows-bottle-after-hughes-fails-to-keep-cool-2274476.html

Johnson shows bottle after Hughes fails to keep cool

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Fulham 1

By Arindam Rej at Molineux

Monday, 25 April 2011

Mark Hughes is likely to face disciplinary action for suggesting referee Michael Oliver should step down to the lower leagues for a few games after sending him off. Luckily for Fulham, while manager Hughes lost his nerve, striker Andy Johnson kept his.

The Fulham striker scored within 18 seconds of coming on to secure a late draw, meaning he could laugh afterwards about his manager's histrionics. Early in the second half, Hughes did not show the same cool-headed, accurate kicking skills as Johnson. The Welshman aimed kicks at a water bottle, missing a few times, before eventually booting the object mercilessly, reminiscent of a Peter Kay advert.

Oliver promptly dismissed Hughes, frustrated at decisions going against Fulham, from the dugout. "Abuse of a water bottle," Hughes said, when asked why he had been sent off.

Fulham had trailed at the time but Johnson's goal meant the London club remain a comfortable distance clear of relegation danger.

When discussing Hughes's banishment and failure to calm down, Johnson joked: "He was chilling up there, wasn't he? I think there was some phone action going on."

Despite the joviality, the striker said his club are not safe, even after reaching 39 points with five games to play. "We're not and I don't think anyone is from 10th-12th downwards," Johnson said. "Everyone's been saying over the last few years, it's the 40-mark. It might be higher than that this year because everyone's beaten each other down the bottom."

Fulham looked like they would lose, before Johnson's rescue act, having created more chances than struggling Wolves. Clint Dempsey shot over a particularly good one from close range early on and was ruing it when Steven Fletcher headed in Karl Henry's cross.

The visitors equalised when Brede Hangeland's long ball was knocked back by Bobby Zamora then hit Christophe Berra en route to Johnson. The former Crystal Palace striker said: "I had a bit of space and took the first touch, shifted it back and hit it low and hard. I don't think I've ever scored quicker than that after coming on."

Hughes was still unhappy afterwards when reflecting on referee Oliver, saying: "He probably needs a few more games, possibly at a lower level."

Scorers: Wolves Fletcher 22 Fulham Johnson 80

Substitutes: Wolves Mancienne 6 (Milijas, 59), Ebanks-Blake (Fletcher, 77), Kightly (Guedioura, 85). Fulham Kakuta 6 (Murphy, 69), Zamora 6 (Gudjohnsen, 69), A Johnson (Dempsey, 80).

Booked: Wolves Stearman, Craddock. Fulham Baird, Hangeland.

Man of the match Guedioura. Match rating 7/10.

Possession: Wolves 48% Fulham 52%.

Attempts on target: Wolves 3 Fulham 4.

Referee M Oliver (Northumberland) Att 28,825.

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/187877/Wolves-1-Fulham-1-Henry-puts-the-boot-in-on-Murphy/

WOLVES 1 FULHAM 1: HENRY PUTS THE BOOT IN ON MURPHY

25th April 2011

By Dave Armitage

WOLVES 1 -- FULHAM 1

'BIG MOUTH' Danny Murphy has been told he's the reason Wolves are getting a rough ride with referees this season.

Wolves skipper Karl Henry clashed with the Fulham  midfielder again and then ripped into him for the remarks he feels has branded his side.

Henry says the Molineux men are running scared of refs all because Murphy publicly attacked them earlier in the season.

Murphy accused Wolves of going into matches "too pumped up"  after Bobby Zamora broke his leg in a tussle with Henry.

And the Wolves midfielder says his side have struggled ever since because of Murphy's big gob.

Henry said: "I think he's just a bit of a big mouth. He doesn't say much on the pitch, he just says stuff off it.

"He came in and nutted me – or elbowed me – I'm not quite sure what it was. The referee was two yards away and didn't quite see it. That's the way it goes."

And Henry is adamant that's the way it has been going ever since Murphy sounded off.

He added: "His comments changed the public perception of us – and that of referees as well.

"Everything that has happened since we went to their place has not helped our season.

"We need to just play the way we play – not be dirty or nasty but compete. We've got to be ugly and do all the horrible things.

"We are not Arsenal and we are not going to walk it into the net. We were going okay and then a late goal does us – that's the story of our season."

Up to Andy Johnson's storming introduction from the bench when he grabbed an 80th-minute goal within seconds of coming on, Wolves looked like taking three crucial points thanks to Steven Fletcher's first-half goal.

Wolves were managing to  frustrate the visitors in more ways than one and it took Cottagers boss Mark Hughes to be sent to the stand by referee Michael Oliver to inspire the late comeback.

Hughes was furious at the ref for booking Brede Hangeland for a crude challenge on Fletcher and vented his frustration on a water bottle.

The Fulham boss admitted he'd been slightly embarrassed by his behaviour, not least because he took several attempts to connect.

Hughes said: "I probably  expressed myself in an incorrect way, but there you go. One or two of the decisions mystified me.

"I once got sent off for attacking a medical bag but abusing a  water bottle is a new one on me.

"I couldn't even kick it properly – my trousers were too tight and I couldn't take a proper swing at it.

"Maybe I should have flicked it up and volleyed it."

His frustration was  understandable, with his side trailing to a cracking Fletcher goal while still having the lion's share of the possession.

Henry was the provider, looping a ball to the far post where Fletcher stole a yard on Aaron Hughes to squeeze in a great header.

Fulham squandered several good chances and Hughes rang down to the touchline on his mobile to get Zamora and Johnson on.

And how decisive that proved when Johnson rammed the ball home from just inside the box after Zamora had put pressure on  Richard Stearman.

Johnson said: "I don't think I have ever scored one quicker than that after coming on."

And the striker jumped to the  defence of Murphy, who endured boos from the home crowd every time he touched the ball.

Johnson said: "All the boys back Murph. He's a strong character who played well despite the abuse.

"All that stuff with Bobby has gone now. Wolves are a strong side who are scrapping away like all teams, so what do people expect?"

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/04/a_point_away_is_always_good.php

A Point Away Is Always Good

Posted by Phil Mison 16 hours, 21 minutes ago

But when you're playing the bottom club..? Hopes dashed again for an awayday knees up to put us in the party mood...and it wasn't fun to watch.

We are going to have to wait a while longer for another away win at Wolves - we last managed it in the top flight back in April 1962. The Black and White Army journeyed north in glorious sunshine and the mood was optimistic. The mood darkened the minute we heard BZ was starting frrom the bench - either a back problem or reported kick on the thigh in training meant Hughes didn't fancy starting our England talisman. What a pity.

It was rewind to the start of winter. We are a different team without him. Hughes didn't help his cause by preferring Davies over Kakuta. This negative selection was no doubt influenced by the need to double up on dangerman Jarvis down the left-flank. We should have been set up to win the game, and to that effect AJ simply had to start. Hughes got it wrong - and wasn't helped by some very ordinary performances from usually reliable figures. Dempsey (awful), Hughes (uncharacteristically), Sidwell (never imposed himself) and Murphy (no longer good enough).

Wolves were there for the taking. Stearman and Berra are extremely limited CB's, shirt tugs and obstruction an integral part of their game. McCarthy had a pair of makeshift full-backs on display, the keeper looked fragile, neither Doyle or Hunt fit, only Henry showed up well in midfield, and Fletcher is Championship class. Unfortunately for us, the biggest donkey on display was in white. Eidur I hope signed off his own farewell card with a pitiful performance. This former thoroughbred now belongs in the knacker's yard and should be put down.

My headline comes from the mouth of Alan Pardew after his side were most fortunate to escape from Blackpool with a point. Both the ref there and our own muppet on view at Molineux (Michael Oliver) had days to forget, the gaffer risking the wrath of the authorities for suggesting he 'wasn't up to the task' - this remember a game that came with a certain amount of pre-match 'feeling.'

© Press Assoc

So as a consequence Sparky gets sent to the naughty step for his reaction to the ludicrous booking of Hangeland. But when the manager needs three swings at a static water bottle before connecting, is it any wonder the first team are so abject when it comes to hitting the target?

Lord knows, it's hard enough watching Fulham away from home, but do we make life easy for the opposition or what? Before 'shooting from the lip' for your delectation post-match I do trawl reports and forums to regulate my impartiality meter before writing. Today I am confused. Well it is a bank holiday so maybe there's an excuse for a lot of lazy journalism out there.

I can't believe the writers calling this as a good game? One journo tops the lot by praising Eidur's first full game for us. Ye gods! I used Pardew's quote to remind myself this was another important point for the Whites on the road to survival, and I even predicted the draw in my preview. But I'm hyperventilating here just trying to be even-handed.

What left me feeling so desolate was the lack of quality in our play. Apart from selecting the wrong team, we must hold the management team responsible for this absurd possession game that goes only crab-like across the pitch. Every pass played in front of the opposition. A fetish with trying again and again to 'thread the needle' with that one final killer pass through a penalty area crammed with 18 sweating, jostling, lunging bodies. Why will nobody shoot from range?

Three of four excellent goals yesterdays at WHL scored from outside the box. Fulham's shooting on the day...diabolical. Dempsey misses a sitter that would have put us one up when dominating and Wolves would have buckled. You could see how nervy they were. Pace from the start through AJ and Kakuta would have killed them. Nil product from set pieces (learn from Blackpool here), while Dembele is now in real danger of turning back in on himself and disappearing up his own backside!

Please get it sorted for Bolton so I can breathe easy. Please stop picking up little spasms, head colds etc. Bobby Zamora - and can every highly-paid member of the first team respect the fact that we all pay loads of money to watch our side - home and away. Can we therefore also please have a little more 'blood and guts' over the final month of the season?

In the meantime, bye-bye to Wolves. Thanks for the 4 points and your efforts to hobble more skilful players in the Prem. You will not be missed.

Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

Henry hits back at Murphy and claims refs target Wolves after midfielder's slur

By Neil Moxley

Last updated at 1:56 AM on 25th April 2011

Wolves captain Karl Henry launched a scathing attack on Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy after the sides' 1-1 draw at Molineux.

In the reverse fixture last September, Murphy claimed Mick McCarthy's team were 'too pumped up' and Henry suffered negative publicity after the tackle which broke Bobby Zamora's leg — although he was cleared by the Fulham striker.

Henry said: '(When) we played Fulham earlier this season, we picked up seven yellow cards and everything that has happened after that has not helped our season.

Dangerous: Karl Henry comforts Booby Zamora after breaking his leg

'Murphy's comments certainly didn't. For instance, we went to Newcastle a couple of weeks ago and the advice from our gaffer was not to do anything silly that might lead us to picking up yellow cards.

'We got them anyway. The referee believed we were targeting Joey Barton. It was a load of rubbish.

'That happened because Murphy's comments have changed the public perception of us. And maybe the referees' perception of us, too. It's taken us a long time to lose that tag.

Hot-head: Karl Henry (right) is known for his tough-tackling ways

'It's been dragged up again because we were playing Fulham. It seems the referee had it in his mind straightaway that he was going to book us.

'We need to play the way we play. We have got to put our foot in. Not be dirty or nasty. It's not pretty but it's competitive.'

Henry also alleged Murphy tried to elbow him. 'We need strong referees,' he said. 'The referee was two yards away and didn't see it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1380192/Karl-Henry-hits-Danny-Murphy.html#ixzz1KVsjDGZC

White Noise

Bad week for... Mark Hughes

The Fulham boss was dismissed from the technical area by referee Michael Oliver for improper conduct. Hughes, strangely incensed by a correct decision to award a free kick against Hangeland tried to show his displeasure by kicking a water bottle – and missed it three times. Sparky by name, sparky by nature?

Pure frustration: Fulham boss Mark Hughes kicks a bottle

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1380064/Graham-Poll-Move-Ian-Holloway-Martin-Atkinson-got-right.html#ixzz1KVtcxdRN

White Noise

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_7352_wolves-1-âÃ,€Ã,Â"-1-fulham-âÃ,€Ã,Â"-wolves-pay-the-price-for-cautious-approach.html

Wolves 1 – 1 Fulham – Wolves pay the price for cautious approach

By Ryan Keaney

Sunday 24 April 2011

At a ground that has seen astonishing victories over Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City so far this season, Fulham's Andy Johnson denied Wolves three vital points with a late equaliser less than thirty seconds after being introduced as a substitute.

The Molineux side started the game knowing a win would lift them free of the relegation zone and as such, they were nervy. Fulham didn't have to force themselves on the game and were instead allowed to take control as the home side struggled to settle down. Carlos Salcido was prominent early on. The rampaging left-back tested Wayne Hennessy before teeing up Clint Dempsey with a first-time cross that the American should have converted.

Given their allowed dominance and the frequency of mistakes being made by Wolves players on the ball, Fulham were always likely to create chances. Only a string of fine saves from Hennessy and a crucial interception from Karl Henry stopped the London side from scoring before they did.

In fact it was Mick McCarthy's side that opened the scoring with their first effort on target, punishing Fulham for failing to capitalise on a strong opening twenty minutes. Steven Fletcher rose above Aaron Hughes for his fifth goal of the season and had Wolves been more positive, the tie may been settled before Johnson was introduced in the 79th minute.

Instead, Wolves were cautious with their lead and invited wave after wave of Fulham pressure. Simon Davies, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Dempsey all went close before Henry denied Moussa Dembele a tap-in inches from the goal line.

Henry had been the focus of special attention from the Fulham support after a challenge from the midfielder resulted in a broken leg for Bobby Zamora the last time the teams met, and at times it looked as though tensions may boil over between the two sides. Referee Michael Oliver kept control of the game and acted swiftly to send Mark Hughes off when the Fulham manager reacted poorly to Brede Hangeland's booking. The Welshman lashed out around his technical area and was promptly sent marching by the official.

With Hughes phoning in his orders, Fulham continued to search for an equaliser before a switch of styles produced immediate dividends. Zamora and Johnson were introduced in quick succession for Dembele and Gudjohnson and the visitors became more direct. A long ball into the area was knocked down by the big man to the feet of Johnson. With time to take the ball out of his feet, Johnson drove the ball beyond Hennessy to break the hearts of the Wanderers players and fans, who were so close to three crucial points.

The home side only had themselves to blame for the two dropped points. Their cagey performance and lack of attacking intent invited a dramatic finish and things could have been much worse had their Welsh 'keeper not been alive to a near-post shot from Fulham's final substitute, Gael Kakuta.

White Noise

Strength of Character

Sunday 24th April 2011

Simon Davies was pleased to see the Whites stick to their game plan and eventually earn a richly deserved share of the points on Saturday against Wolves.

Having dominated for long spells of the game, Fulham could consider themselves unfortunate to be trailing as the game entered its final stages, but Bobby Zamora and Andrew Johnson combined well to net the equaliser on 80 minutes.

Speaking after the match, Davies gave his assessment:

"It was a nice day to play football, the pitch was good and we played some really good stuff at times," explained the Fulham midfielder.

'We were a bit disappointed that we didn't get all three points but the important thing was not to lose against a team in the bottom three. The character of the lads was really good and during the second-half there was only one team in it for long periods of time, so a draw was the least that we deserved.

"You've just got to keep going I think it's important to stick to your principles. When you're playing against teams like Wolves who battle hard, really try and put you under pressure and get the ball in your box early on - it's important that a team like us sticks to our game."

Attentions now turn to Wednesday evening when Bolton visit the Craven Cottage. The Trotters have already tasted victory at the Cottage this season when they ended Fulham's participation in this season's FA Cup, and Davies will be looking to settle a score.

"That was a frustrating day, they scored an early goal and we were trying to break them down but we couldn't do it on the day," he said.

"We've got five games left, it's a shame we've had too many draws which has held us back, but with five games to go we'll be looking to pick up at least a couple of wins.

"They'll be looking to come and give a good account of themselves. We're going to have to be on our game and take the game to them."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/DaviesWolvesReaction.aspx#ixzz1KVuvBsP8

White Noise

WOLVES 1 FULHAM 1: WOLVES HAVE TO FIND BOTTLE, JUSTMORE ACCURATELY THAN HUGHES   

Monday April 25,2011

By John Wragg 

WOLVES 1 -- FULHAM 1

KARL HENRY is not afraid to tell it how it is. But if we are being truthful, his Wolves do not look as if they are capable of taking advantage of the failings of others and beating the drop.

A win here would have made them top-liners to pull clear. But they could not hang on for the final 10 minutes, so now must win at Stoke tomorrow to be favourites for salvation.

Henry was right to defend his team against allegations that they are dirty, not to be trusted and are trying to kick their way to a third successive year in the Premier League.

The accusation came from Fulham's Danny Murphy after his team's 2-1 win over Wolves in September. Bobby Zamora's leg was broken by a Henry tackle and Wolves were branded by Murphy as the bad boys of the top flight. Wolves might be many things, very possibly not good enough to stay up, but an ale house team, certainly not.

The residue of what Murphy alleged spilled over into this game. It was often on the edge of violence but everyone just about held it together – except Fulham manager Mark Hughes, who was sent off by referee Michael Oliver for abusing a water bottle.

Actually Hughes only abused it at the third attempt, finally making contact and sending it spinning as he reacted over a tackle from Brede Hangeland being judged illegal.

But there was no punishment greater than Hughes, one of the most fierce and best of centre-forwards, needing three swipes at the bottle. He blamed tight trousers.

Wolves, without a victory now in three games following their win at Aston Villa that seemed to promise safety, have not got many swings left at staying up.   

Henry, committed, aggressive, a man playing well for his home- city club, slammed Murphy for what he said but could not bring home the victory after Steven Fletcher's headed opener.

"You are that close to a win, but it's the story of our season," said Henry. "We will see how it goes at Stoke on Tuesday now. If we get a result there, then one victory at home should be enough to stay up."

On the personal front, Henry added: "Murphy came in and nutted me or elbowed me. I'm not quite sure what it was. The referee was two yards away and didn't quite see it. We went to Fulham and had seven yellow cards and everything that has happened after that has not helped our season.

"We were at Newcastle and the advice was not to do anything silly. We picked up yellows anyway. The referee identified we were targeting Joey Barton. That was a load of rubbish. It flatters Barton a ridiculous amount as we didn't talk about him in team talks.

"We need to play the way we play. That's what our manager told us this week. We have got to put our foot in. Not be dirty or nasty, but just to be committed. Not pretty, but it is competitive. We're not Arsenal.

"Murphy's words changed the public perception of us. And maybe the referees' too. It took a long time to lose that tag. Murphy didn't really say anything to me on the pitch. He's just a bit of a big-mouth."

As Andy Johnson equalised 18 seconds after going on, so Wolves must shout louder than anyone if they are to stay up.

Wolves (4-4-1-1): Hennessey 6; Stearman 6, Cradock 8, Berra 7,Ward 6; Guedioura 6 (Kightly 85, 5), Milijas 6 (Manciennne 59, 5), Henry 8, Jarvis 7; O'Hara 6; Fletcher 8 (Ebanks-Blake 77, 5). Booked: Stearman, Craddock. Goal: Fletcher 22.

Fulham (4-3-3): Schwarzer 7, Baird 6, Hughes 6, Hangeland 6, Salcido 6; Davies 6, Sidwell 7, Murphy 7 (Kakuta 69, 5); Dembele 5, Gudjohnsen 5 (Zamora 69, 5), Dempsey 5 (Johnson 79, 7). Booked: Hangeland, Baird. Goal: Johnson 80.

Referee: M Oliver ( Northumberland).

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/242803Wolves-1-Fulham-1-Wolves-have-to-find-bottle-justmore-accurately-than-Hughes#ixzz1KVvrSccj

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/24042011/58/premier-league-wolves-lead-slip-draw.html

Premier League - Wolves let lead slip in draw

Sat, 23 Apr 16:58:00 2011

Andy Johnson scored a late equaliser moments after coming on as Fulham dented Wolves' survival hopes with a 1-1 draw at Molineux.

In a scrappy contest, Steven Fletcher's first-half header had looked as if it was going to be enough to take Mick McCarthy's side out of the relegation zone.

However, the visitors looked the classier outfit throughout and got a deserved equaliser 10 minutes from time when Johnson smashed home from the edge of the area less than a minute after coming on.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes was sent to the stands midway through the second-half for kicking the turf after being unhappy with a decision, but he will be pleased that his side have edged one point closer to safety.

Wolves, on the other hand, are still very much in the mire, although the point does see them move up one place to 19th, and with Wigan losing at Sunderland, they are now just one point behind Blackpool and Wigan above them.

Fulham were the crisper passers in the opening half and nearly went in front after just three minutes when Wayne Hennessey had to bat a fine Carlos Salcido 30-yard effort away for a corner.

From that resulting set piece, Fulham came close again but Aaron Hughes couldn't quite get on the end of a header from Brede Hangeland.

Then in the 17th minute Clint Dempsey blazed over from close range after a lovely first-time volleyed cross from Salcido.

Wolves were struggling to string two passes together, but a nice move saw them take the lead against the run of play in the 22nd minute.

Adlene Guedioura played Karl Henry down the right and the Wolves captain then stood-up a perfectly weighted cross for Fletcher; the Scottish striker then got in front of Chris Baird to guide an unstoppable header into the corner of the net.

The rest of the half was a scrappy affair with lots of petty fouling on either side but by and large Michael Oliver was sensible with his decisions and Richard Stearman was the only player booked in the first 45 minutes.

Fulham had a couple of half-chances to draw level before the break with Simon Davies embarrassingly falling on his backside after a Dempsey check-back, while the American also had a couple of threatening moments of his own.

The second-half followed a similar pattern as Fulham played the better football, without creating a hatful of chances.

Eidur Gudjohnsen should have done better with one effort after a mazy run worked him into a shooting position in the 52nd minute, while Dembele just failed to turn the ball home from close range after a spill from Hennessey.

Fulham's substitutes helped change the game, although manager Hughes had to order them from his mobile phone in the stands after being sent-off in the 57th minute. The Welshman was unhappy with a yellow card dished out to Hangleland and started kicking the turf in protestation which led to his dismissal.

Bobby Zamora (only on the bench due to a slight knock), Gael Kakuta, and then a little later Johnson, all came on and gave Fulham a bit more of an edge in the final third.

When Fulham did finally breakthrough in the 80th minute it came uncharacteristically from a long ball; Christophe Berra, under pressure from Zamora, could only produce a poor defensive header straight to Johnson just inside the box, and the former England international then smashed home a right-footed drive past Hennessey just seconds after coming on.

Berra felt he was fouled by Zamora but it looked a fair goal, and after that it was Fulham who looked the more likely side to nick a winner.

Kakuta had two decent efforts in quick succession just before the end, one saved, the other just wide, but the match eventually finished in a draw.

Wolves will be disappointed with the solitary point given they were in front for such a long time, but the draw was the least Fulham deserved for playing the better football for long periods.

Seán Fay / Eurosport

White Noise

Wolves 1-1 Fulham: Daily Mirror match report

Published 22:50 24/04/11

By Mike Walters

Karl Henry stared into the jaws of ­relegation and branded rival captain Danny Murphy a "big mouth".

Fulham skipper Murphy was public enemy No.1 at Molineux after his famous sermon about dangerous tackles and ­over-physical teams, which singled out Wolves, Stoke and Blackburn.

And there was little love lost when Henry and Murphy clashed just before the interval on a curious afternoon when Mark Hughes was sent to the stands for kicking a water bottle.

"Murphy came in and nutted me or elbowed me – I'm not sure which – but the ref was standing two yards away and didn't see it," said Henry.

"He [Murphy] needs to concentrate on himself. Earlier this season, we went to Fulham, picked up seven yellow cards and ­everything that happened after that has not helped our season.

"His comments didn't help us, either. We went up to Newcastle a couple of weeks ago and the advice was not to do anything silly and pick up any needless bookings.

"We picked up yellow cards anyway because the referee decided we had singled out Joey Barton – which was a load of rubbish and flatters Barton a ridiculous amount because we didn't even mention him in our team talk.

"Murphy's comments changed the public ­perception of us – and maybe referees' perception of us too.

"I think he's just a bit of a big mouth. He doesn't have much to say for himself on the pitch, he seems to do most of his talking off it.

"We need to play the way we play, the way that suits us best – that's what the gaffer told us this week. We have got to put our foot in – not to be nasty or dirty, but just to be committed.

"It's not always pretty, but it's competitive. We are not Arsenal, we are not going to walk the ball into the net, but we have got to be ugly and do the horrible things. We need strong referees.

"It took us a long time to lose that tag, but it's been dragged up again because we were playing Fulham."

In fairness to Wolves, their statue of England legend Billy Wright is much nicer than that ridiculous ­monument to Michael Jackson at Craven Cottage, but slagging off Murphy won't get them out of trouble.

Big mouth? Open wide, say aah and let's see if there is any merit in Henry's bleat.

Who was in the thick of it when Barton was kicked black and blue at Molineux amid 12 yellow cards at Molineux last August?

Whose tackle, blameless or not, left England striker Bobby Zamora with a broken ankle at Craven Cottage seven months ago?

And whose wild challenge on Wigan's Jordi Gomez was the worst tackle in the Premier League this season?

Step forward Henry, Henry and Henry again. Murphy's forked tongue has done far less damage than Henry's hobnail boots and Wolves' habit of leaking late goals.

Manager Mick McCarthy's men will scramble out of the drop zone on goal difference if they can snaffle a point at Stoke tomorrow night, but they are living dangerously.

Wolves could have few complaints after Steven Fletcher's header was cancelled out by sub Andy ­Johnson's first touch just 18 seconds after he came on with 11 minutes remaining.

By that stage, Fulham manager Hughes – outraged by Richard Stearman's poor challenge on Eidur Gudjohnsen – had been sent upstairs for hitting the bottle at the third attempt: air shot, miskick and, finally, off the meat of the instep.

Sparky said: "I got sent off once for attacking a medical kit bag, but kicking a water bottle was a new one on me, and I didn't even kick it properly.

"My trousers were too tight and I couldn't take a proper swing at it – maybe I should have flicked it up and volleyed it.

"I thought Danny handled the stick well. He's an ­experienced campaigner and knew what was coming. Once or twice he showed ­commendable restraint because he rode a couple of challenges."

From his lofty perch in the directors' box, Hughes managed to send on Johnson through a combination of mobile phone and hand signals, although a paper dart down to the dugout would have been his best bet.

Johnson said: "All the boys back Murph. We knew coming to Wolves would be tough, but you have to compete in that physical battle before the football takes over."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wolves-1-1-Fulham-Daily-Mirror-match-report-Karl-Henry-continues-war-of-words-with-big-mouth-Danny-Murphy-article727556.html#ixzz1KVwULbBS

White Noise

Wolves v Fulham match was 'too much' for ref says Hughes

Published 14:23 24/04/11

By MirrorFootball

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has claimed the Wolves vs Fulham match was "too much" for the referee in charge Michael Oliver.

Hughes watched his striker Andy Johnson equalise from the stands, having been sent there by Oliver early in the second half.

Hughes was incensed by Oliver's decision to book Brede Hangeland for a challenge on Fletcher and showed his frustration by kicking out at a water bottle.

The Welshman was promptly given his marching orders and after the final whistle Hughes questioned the referee's experience.

"I think on occasions both myself and Mick were a little bit baffled with some of the officials' decisions," Hughes told the BBC.

"We know it is a difficult role and they do it to the best of their ability, but on occasions it looked a little bit too much for the referee.

"He probably needs to take a step back and have a few more games, possibly at a lower level, so he is better equipped next time.

"I asked him what I got sent off for and apparently it was abuse of a water bottle - that's a new one on me."

Meanwhile Wolves boss Mick McCarthy feels it is a good thing his team are playing again so soon after yesterday's 1-1 draw with Fulham at Molineux as they continue in their fight to beat the drop.

Following their 3-0 home defeat to Everton on April 9, Wanderers had to wait a fortnight before taking to the field again, during which time they dropped to the bottom of the Barclays Premier League.

The result against the Cottagers moved McCarthy's side up to 19th, although a win would have taken them out of the relegation zone.

They have five games left to get themselves out of trouble, and the manager is glad the players will be back in action as soon as Tuesday, when they travel to Stoke.

"It's better playing - I don't want a two-week gap and the players don't," McCarthy said.

"At this stage of the season, coming into training you have got to be motivated and the games really motivate you, preparing for them.

"We were ready for this game. Unfortunately we've not taken the three points but there is not much time to breathe before the next one and we have got three coming in the next few days."

Wolves, who follow up the Stoke match with a trip to Birmingham next Sunday and then a home clash with West Brom a week later, were denied victory yesterday by Andrew Johnson's equaliser 10 minutes from time.

The hosts had taken the lead in the 22nd minute when Steven Fletcher headed in skipper Karl Henry's cross.

Johnson levelled just seconds after coming on, though, fellow substitute Bobby Zamora tussling with Christophe Berra for a ball into the box which fell to the former Everton man, teeing up him up to score.

Although disappointed Wanderers could not hold on for all three points, McCarthy felt a draw was a fair outcome.

"I don't think we dominated the game at all," he said.

"They have a good side and good players on the bench that they put on to try to get a result.

"But having got a good goal and had to defend, which we were doing well, I was just disappointed with the way the goal was conceded."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wolves-v-Fulham-match-was-too-much-for-referee-Michael-Oliver-says-Mark-Hughes-article727514.html#ixzz1KVwu8qoJ

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3544358/Mark-Hughes-was-sent-off-for-kicking-a-water-bottle.html

Hughes hits the bottle

Published: Today

MARK HUGHES looked down at his shoes, bit his lip and revealed that an assault of a water bottle was not his first offence.

No. The Fulham boss said he once... attacked a medical bag.         

It was difficult not to find the whole episode amusing at Molineux as, following referee Michael Oliver's decision to book Brede Hangeland for a tackle on Steven Fletcher, Hughes hit the bottle.

He said: "There was a bit of frustration - one or two decisions were mystifying.

"I got sent off once for attacking a medical bag but this time it was for abusing a water bottle. It's a new one on me."

WhiteJC

http://paddytheflea.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/analysis-ratings-wolves-v-fulham/?

Analysis & Ratings: Wolves v Fulham

Fulham was a better team than Wolves, no question about it. They had a better passing game and dominated the match.

At the same time they were not effective going forward. Thank God for that! With Craddock pairing with Berra in the middle and Stearman and Ward on the full-back positions we also looked stronger than previous and on most occasions could fend off the Fulham attacks with ease.

The Wolves goal came as a wonderful surprise when Guédioura forced himself through on the right and passed Henry who crossed and found the head of Fletcher in the area.

After that Fulham continued to play well but the last quarter of an hour of the first half Wolves was the team most likely to score and we had a couple of counter attacks that could have taken us two up, but we couldn't find that last ball.

I think Fletch and O'Hara had something very interesting going on and the tactics of playing O'Hara just behind Fletcher could have been very fruitful indeed.

The second half opened up with Hennessey fumbling with the ball, but thankfully Henry was in the vicinity with his long leg sorting it out. Fulham still dominated the game in possession and territorial advantage, but Wolves seemed to get more chances to counter.

I find it a little curious that we did not win the midfield with three against two in the middle and also Guédioura playing inside much of the time. Sidwell and Murphy were able to control the game without very much of opposition from our men on the field.

Not many of our players seemed to be friends with the ball in this game, perhaps because of no match-play for some time.

With so much ball in our part of the playing field it came as no surprise to me that Fulham could get it in before the 90 had passed. It was a scrappy coincidental goal, things that happens after 80 minutes of pressure.

At the same time we have some positives to take out of this game, though. One point that can be crucial for survival and the co-op between O'Hara and Fletch. The back four also functioned better with Craddock in the middle and Ward was on fire on the left.

We got to play better than this to take the points necessary in the upcoming games, though. To the ratings.

Hennessey – 6 – Saved us early on in the game, but looked a little nervous at times, fumbling with the ball. Was on the wrong foot on the goal. targeted Fletch very well (seven times).

Stearman – 5 – Not good enough in his new role at right back. His passing use to be much better, but perhaps it takes a game to get used to this position?

Craddock – 7 – It takes a lot to just step in and do an almost perfect game in this position after being out of playing for so long. But Jody's got it!

Berra – 6 – A rock in defence if it was not for that one incidence when he headed the ball right to the incoming Johnson. Otherwise a very good performance by the Scot defending, but as always his passing of the ball is awful and he should only take the easy ones and let other play the ball up the field.

Ward – 8 – One of the best. Worked hard all over the pitch and steadied up play. Often the one who took the ball up, mainly to O'Hara. He will get the smiley-bouncy thing.

Milijas – 5 – Did not perform up to his level at all and MM was right to take him off before the hour.

Mancienne – 7 – Performed much better than Milijas after coming on in the defensive midfield role and had the best passing accuracy of all (90%). Should start against Stoke.

Guédioura – 6 – Still not friends with the ball and has a lack of precision in his shots. But he was a force going forward before the goal and is a potential danger to opposition defences. But he's got to up his passing game.

Henry – 8 – An assist to the goal and his long leg saved us from a certain goal in the back. In play though, he could have done better and his passing game was not on top. But he has earned himself the little star.

Jarvis – 6 – They were doubling up against Jarvo and his tricks didn't work to get round the Fulham defence to get crosses in. But he worked back well most of the time. Is he out of form?

O'Hara – 6 – Worked well together with Fletcher upfront and was very close to break through on a couple of occasions and some inches from getting a goal from a nice curl. But like many others on the day he missed some crucial passes and was second to the ball in midfield too many times.

Fletcher – 8 – A very well taken goal gives him an extra point and he had a couple of other chances and showed the Fulham defence that they could not relax when he was around. Worked very well together with O'Hara and we may have found the right formation for the rest of season. Fletch is Paddytheflea's Star Man!

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=239887

An Anger Management Course?
After seeing red on Saturday, courtesy of a tussle with a water bottle, it appears that Mark Hughes has history when it comes to losing his temper.

Our manager openly admitted, in his post match interview, that it wasn`t the first occasion he`s lashed out at an object, admitting,

"I got sent off once for attacking a medical kit bag, but kicking a water bottle was a new one on me, and I didn`t even kick it properly."

What is next in his targets I can only wonder!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=239887#ixzz1KXzH5enC

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=239888

Getting Physical!
Saturday had history!

After Danny Murphy had uttered words about Wolves being reliant on the physical side of the game to make an impression, Danny was always going to be targeted.

And that proved to be the case.

Our midfield maestro had to take evasive action on more than one occasion as some over-zealous challenges came in from the Wolves players.

After the game our 18 second goal hero, Andrew Johnson, was amongst the first to give Danny a vote of confidence and probably inferring that those remarks made back in September, were right, when he commented,

"All the boys back Murph. We knew coming to Wolves would be tough, but you have to compete in that physical battle before the football takes."

Funny how that word physical keeps cropping up isn`t it?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=239888#ixzz1KXzY5BeK

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/west-brom-s-hodgson-it-vital-odemwingie-stays-1592201

West Brom's Hodgson: It is vital that Odemwingie stays

25.04.11 | Andrew Slevison

West Bromwich Albion manager Roy Hodgson has made it clear that the club needs to hold on to striker Peter Odemwingie.

The Nigerian has now scored 13 goals for the Baggies in his debut season in England and his exploits have attracted plenty of interest from the some big clubs in Europe, including Italian giants Juventus.

Hodgson said it is vital that the West Midlands retain Odemwingie if they are to be any chance of producing higher than finishes in the Premier League.

"It would be nice if Juventus told us (they were interested) rather than us having to hear it from the media," Hodgson said.

"But it's a no-brainer really isn't it? If you're going to have a spell of years - even if it's only two - in the Premier League then you've got to improve your team.

"We were very lucky to survive my first six months at Fulham but we did improve the team quite considerably going into the next season and again into the season after that and now we'd all agree Fulham are not a only a mid-table team but I would put them up as one of the top 10 teams in the country."

He added: "We are running on a reasonably small squad of players. We are asking an awful lot of inexperienced players who are getting better all the time.

"But if we want to have a good Premier League campaign next season, it is very important we sign several players in the summer that will really help us.

"It will also take some of the burden away from the Youssuf Mulumbus and Peter Odemwingies who, you must remember, are in their first season in the Premier League."

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-offer-4m-man-city-winger-swp-1591881

Fulham to offer £4M for Man City winger SWP

25.04.11 | tribalfootball.com

Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips is a target for Fulham.

The People says Wright-Phillips, 29, is determined to prove he is good enough to be a first-team regular next term but may have to consider his options if City add even more ­attackers to the payroll in the close season.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes wanted him on loan in January and is weighing up a £4million bid when the transfer window reopens.

However, the Cottagers will not be ­willing to pay Wright-Phillips more than £40,000 a week.