Karl Henry Finally Tells It Like It Is

Started by White Noise, April 26, 2011, 07:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/25/karl-henry-wolves-stoke-city

Wolves captain Karl Henry warns of 'ugly, dirty game' against Stoke

• 'Both teams will be kicking lumps out of each other'

• Comments sure to offend Mick McCarthy and Tony Pulis

Share3  Stuart James guardian.co.uk, Monday 25 April 2011 22.31 BST Article history

The prediction by Wolves' Karl Henry of a roughhouse at Stoke will not go down well at either club. Photograph: Richard Sellers/Sportsphoto

Karl Henry has risked inflaming the Premier League match between Stoke City and Wolverhampton Wanderers on Tuesday night by predicting "a really dirty game" where "both teams will be kicking lumps out of each other".

Henry has previously accused the Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy of changing the way Wolves are perceived by referees and the public this season, yet his own remarks about what lies ahead at the Britannia Stadium suggests he recognises his side can be uncompromising at times. "It's going to be a really dirty game up there," Henry said. "Both teams will be kicking lumps out of each other. It's going to be an ugly, dirty game that no one wants to go and watch."

The Wolves captain's comments are unlikely to go down well with his manager, Mick McCarthy, who became aggrieved earlier in the season when Wolves picked up what he felt was an unfair reputation for being overly aggressive.

Tony Pulis, whom Henry played under during the Stoke manager's first spell in charge, will also be less than impressed with the notion that his side, who have been criticised for their approach, will be going out to kick Wolves.

Whatever the nature of the game at Stoke, Wolves are desperate for points to climb out of the bottom three. "It's a huge game again, Stoke are a good side," said Henry. "I know Tony from my time there. He sticks to his principles, strategy, regardless of what's going on. Everyone hates playing Stoke and going there but we are going to relish it. They've done so well in getting to the FA Cup final."

Henry said that Pulis should be named manager of the year for his achievement in getting Stoke to Wembley. "Maybe people are starting to realise they need to give him the respect he deserves. It's not easy to win games and for years people have been trying to come up with ways of winning games. Barcelona do it their way, Blackpool do it their way, Stoke do it their way. They pick up points, they are horrible to play against and that's credit to him. I'm sure they will go on and do even better next season."

In comments that will surprise some, Henry suggested that he failed to make enough tackles to keep Pulis happy. "I wasn't his type of player when he came, that was it for me," the 28-year-old said. "Maybe back then I didn't put my foot in as much. I just came through at the wrong time and sometimes you just need to move on and find yourself. Perhaps I could do a job for him now – older, wiser and perhaps I'd now know what he wants. Things didn't work out there but no grudges, he was always a top man with me."

Whiteroom

Quote from: White Noise on April 26, 2011, 07:33:55 AM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/25/karl-henry-wolves-stoke-city

Wolves captain Karl Henry warns of 'ugly, dirty game' against Stoke

• 'Both teams will be kicking lumps out of each other'

• Comments sure to offend Mick McCarthy and Tony Pulis

Share3  Stuart James guardian.co.uk, Monday 25 April 2011 22.31 BST Article history

The prediction by Wolves' Karl Henry of a roughhouse at Stoke will not go down well at either club. Photograph: Richard Sellers/Sportsphoto

Karl Henry has risked inflaming the Premier League match between Stoke City and Wolverhampton Wanderers on Tuesday night by predicting "a really dirty game" where "both teams will be kicking lumps out of each other".

Henry has previously accused the Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy of changing the way Wolves are perceived by referees and the public this season, yet his own remarks about what lies ahead at the Britannia Stadium suggests he recognises his side can be uncompromising at times. "It's going to be a really dirty game up there," Henry said. "Both teams will be kicking lumps out of each other. It's going to be an ugly, dirty game that no one wants to go and watch."

The Wolves captain's comments are unlikely to go down well with his manager, Mick McCarthy, who became aggrieved earlier in the season when Wolves picked up what he felt was an unfair reputation for being overly aggressive.

Tony Pulis, whom Henry played under during the Stoke manager's first spell in charge, will also be less than impressed with the notion that his side, who have been criticised for their approach, will be going out to kick Wolves.

Whatever the nature of the game at Stoke, Wolves are desperate for points to climb out of the bottom three. "It's a huge game again, Stoke are a good side," said Henry. "I know Tony from my time there. He sticks to his principles, strategy, regardless of what's going on. Everyone hates playing Stoke and going there but we are going to relish it. They've done so well in getting to the FA Cup final."

Henry said that Pulis should be named manager of the year for his achievement in getting Stoke to Wembley. "Maybe people are starting to realise they need to give him the respect he deserves. It's not easy to win games and for years people have been trying to come up with ways of winning games. Barcelona do it their way, Blackpool do it their way, Stoke do it their way. They pick up points, they are horrible to play against and that's credit to him. I'm sure they will go on and do even better next season."

In comments that will surprise some, Henry suggested that he failed to make enough tackles to keep Pulis happy. "I wasn't his type of player when he came, that was it for me," the 28-year-old said. "Maybe back then I didn't put my foot in as much. I just came through at the wrong time and sometimes you just need to move on and find yourself. Perhaps I could do a job for him now – older, wiser and perhaps I'd now know what he wants. Things didn't work out there but no grudges, he was always a top man with me."

I really don't understand why Henry is doing this? Surely these comments are hugely shooting himself, and his team, in the foot.

JBH

He is doing it because he is a thick thug  :028:

The Bronsons

"Perhaps I could do a job for him now"

Yes, you probably could. And like Tony Pulis, the job wouldn't have much to do with football.

Mr Fulham

This has CYNICISM written all over it. Or maybe he wants to join Fulham next season. :dead horse:

finnster01

I'd like to see Henry and John Carew have a little come to Jesus session. Not sure if Henry is going to come out on top of that one to be honest. Carew is injury prone, but he is also one very large mofo made out of muscle
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

SoCalJoe

:032:  Didn't he spend all last week whining about how Murph's comments really affected the Wolves season? Not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

Rupert

Is that tame Wolves fan still around? I'd be fascinated by his take on this.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

HatterDon

Quote from: Rupert on April 26, 2011, 07:10:02 PM

I doubt it, Mr. Rupert. In the face of all that umbridge at the very THOUGHT of someone NOT Fulham posting on this board  :029:, he probably sighed and slipped quietly away.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: HatterDon on April 27, 2011, 12:13:07 AM
Quote from: Rupert on April 26, 2011, 07:10:02 PM

I doubt it, Mr. Rupert. In the face of all that umbridge at the very THOUGHT of someone NOT Fulham posting on this board  :029:, he probably sighed and slipped quietly away.

It all smells a bit McCarthyesque!

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13204228.stm

Stoke bullied Wolves - Mick McCarthy

Page last updated at 22:36 GMT, Tuesday, 26 April 2011 23:36 UK

McCarthy's side face Birmingham next Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has warned his side there can be no repeat of their 3-0 defeat at Stoke if they are to avoid relegation.

The defeat left them in the bottom three, a point shy of safety with four games remaining.

"We're in a scrap for Premier League survival," McCarthy told the BBC.

"But we don't have a chance if we play like that. My teams usually compete better than that. We were bullied and beaten by the better team."

Wolves fell behind to a Kenwyne Jones goal after 16 minutes before Ryan Shawcross doubled the lead in first-half stoppage time.

Jermaine Pennant rounded off the scoring on a comfortable night for the FA Cup finalists with a goal shortly after the interval.

"Whatever shape we play, we generally stop the opposition far, far better than that," added McCarthy, whose side travel to Midlands rivals Birmingham on Sunday.

"We've had a dreadful time recently - one point from four games.

"I won't make excuses, I'm just looking about for reasons. Funny to go from the Aston Villa performance [their last league victory] to four performances like that."

Stoke's victory took them to 42 points, which virtually assures them of their Premier League survival.

"It was a big game for us tonight," Stoke boss Tony Pulis reflected.

"The players' attitude and application towards the job was fantastic. The first half was as good as we have played in the Premier League.

"We hope our status is guaranteed now. To get to a fourth season in the Premier League and reach the FA Cup final is quite a remarkable journey.

"This club and this team is a lot better that the team that came in. We have gradually improved."

Logicalman

In the knowledge that Wolves are going down, sounds to me like Henry is making out a job application for Stoke for next season.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Logicalman on April 27, 2011, 10:39:22 AM

In the knowledge that Wolves are going down, sounds to me like Henry is making out a job application for Stoke for next season.

My thoughts too.

Imagine if we were on the verge of relegation and Zamora started talking about how much he loved working under Alan pardew, and how much he would love to play for him again and could be of some use - this board would go mental!