watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sparky Wants Fulham Stay

Started by White Noise, April 29, 2011, 08:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8481484/Mark-Hughes-is-planning-to-stay-as-Fulham-manager-after-enjoing-an-impressive-season.html

Mark Hughes is planning to stay as Fulham manager after enjoing an impressive season

A few weeks ago this column posed the question as to whether Mark Hughes would agree a new deal to remain as Fulham manager. The answer, it appears, will be yes. Hughes is planning to stay.

Man in demand: Fulham's results under Mark Hughes this season have sparked other clubs' interest in his services Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Jason Burt 6:22PM BST 28 Apr 2011

He signed a one-year contract at the end of last summer, with the option for another 12 months, and there has been some debate as to whether he would carry on with the Premier League club, especially as others are sniffing around him.

Hughes is turning into a man in demand and Fulham need to get a move on.

Aston Villa might come calling, should it be mutually agreed that Gerard Houllier, who was released from hospital on Thursday, will not carry on following his latest health problems. Bayern Munich looked at him and Chelsea could even be interested, especially if they want a younger man to work alongside a director of football.

After Wednesday's impressive 3-0 victory over Bolton Wanderers, Fulham are ninth in the table, which is a hugely impressive achievement for Hughes given the injury crisis he has faced.

They are an upwardly-mobile team again and it seems that one of the guarantees the 47-year-old Welshman has been given is that substantial funds – £20million has been mentioned – will be made available this summer. That would convince Hughes of the club's ambitions and that they match his own.

He has bought well so far, in acquiring Carlos Salcido and Moussa Dembele. Beyond that Hughes does not want to gain a reputation as a manager who moves around too much while, at the same time, wanting to ensure he and the club he manages are going forward.

It was claimed that Hughes signed a two-year deal last year but it's understood there is a break allowing him to leave at the end of this campaign without compensation.

The likelihood of Europa League football at Craven Cottage, via the Fair Play League, is another fillip for Fulham, who are probably pinching themselves at their luck in securing Hughes in the first place.

The length and terms of a new deal are yet to be decided but it's understood that Hughes is, in principle, willing to stay.

White Noise

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/football/news/article/-/9275514/villa-target-everton-boss-moyes-fulham-manager-hughes/

Villa target Everton boss Moyes, Fulham manager Hughes

tribalfootball.com

April 28, 2011, 11:05 pm

Aston Villa are thinking big as they consider replacing Gerard Houllier following the manager's heart scare last week.

The Sun says Villa want Mark Hughes or David Moyes as their new manager - if stricken Gerard Houllier is forced to quit after his latest heart scare.

Fulham boss Hughes and Everton's Moyes are top of owner Randy Lerner's hitlist as he waits to see whether Houllier will be fit enough to stand the stresses and strains of Premier League management again.

Hughes was hand-picked by Lerner to replace Martin O'Neill when the Irishman quit last August. But the Villa owner turned to Houllier because Sparky, 47, felt unable to leave Fulham after just two months in charge.

BalDrick

He's 47? Only 4 years older than me - bloody hell, haven't done much with my life have I?

He's got plenty of time left in management, no need to keep rushing to the next flash of knicker (à la Hodgson).
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

White Noise

Quote from: BalDrick on April 29, 2011, 08:43:23 AM
He's 47? Only 4 years older than me - bloody hell, haven't done much with my life have I?

He's got plenty of time left in management, no need to keep rushing to the next flash of knicker (à la Hodgson).

I think thats the point isn't it. He has got at least 15 years more in the game and he needs to learn and progress as well as keeping his eye on the ladder. He has stayed a reasonable term in all his managerial posts -

Wales - 5 years

Blackburn - 4 years

Man City - 1 and a half years

MJG

Quote from: BalDrick on April 29, 2011, 08:43:23 AM

He's got plenty of time left in management, no need to keep rushing to the next flash of knicker (� la Hodgson).
He may have a long time left in the game but opertunities only come along a few times, if he was offered Villa/Ever on/Sunderland and turned them down, who's to say they would go back to him in the future.
If by any chance he has had the nod for the Utd job then yes stay at Fulham til then, if not then a big club is a big draw.

BalDrick

Disagree with that - opportunities come along pretty thick and fast really. Everton and United are really the only clubs that don't change their managers that frequently - and in fact Joe Royle wasn't there too long was he?

Remember he played abroad as well, so he wouldn't be averse to going there to do the next step up. Genuinely think the only way he'll go is if Fayed pisses him off by flogging players.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town