watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fair Enough From Senderos?

Started by White Noise, April 30, 2011, 05:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Hasn't kicked a ball in anger for a season. Was that a satisfactory performance in the circumstances?

Lighthouse

Never a fan of his and he played very much as expected. Time can only help and he did manage 90 minutes. Which frankly is worth a lap of honour from him after being out for the season. He also improved as the game went on.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Yarden

Has not played for a year, a bit unsecure 1st half, but far better in the 2nd half. A decent performance, cant ask for more.

MJG

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 30, 2011, 06:08:14 PM
Never a fan of his and he played very much as expected. Time can only help and he did manage 90 minutes. Which frankly is worth a lap of honour from him after being out for the season. He also improved as the game went on.
+1

Tom

I thought Senderos played well today. First game back in a year.  :54:
Fulham for life!

Jack Fulham

Looked decent from what I saw, bit cautious and dragged out of position at times but that was when he was covering for Salcido. Pretty good considering he hasn't played a competitive game for over a year. Can only get better really.

Blingo

Give him a chance to get match fit before giving him stick. He had a decent intro considering the amount of time he has been out for.

Tom

Quote from: Jack Fulham on April 30, 2011, 07:10:43 PM
Looked decent from what I saw, bit cautious and dragged out of position at times but that was when he was covering for Salcido. Pretty good considering he hasn't played a competitive game for over a year. Can only get better really.
True dat Jack!
Fulham for life!

The Bronsons

He was a weak link in the first half, better in the second - but he's not 100% yet and certainly not match sharp.

Luke

Thought he had a good debut, shaky in the first half but played better in the second, thought the Sky Sports rating of 5/10 was quite harsh.
Here's Davies..... It's on, It is on!!

HatterDon

He gave away the ball three times in his own half when not under pressure -- twice to the attacker closest to him. He also lost his rag and could have been carded. He did NOT have a particularly good match, but ...

I can't really judge if this is poor by his league standards because I can't remember the last time I saw him play for Arsenal and I paid attention to him. Also, he's suffering from the dreaded "I'm not Hangeland" syndrome. We didn't concede, so he helped the team to a clean sheet.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

leonffc

Quote from: MJG on April 30, 2011, 06:29:22 PM
+1
+2

leonffc

Quote from: leonffc on May 01, 2011, 09:04:09 AM
Quote from: MJG on April 30, 2011, 06:29:22 PM
+1
+2
I don't know what happened there but I'm echoing Lighthouse and MJG

BalDrick

Does anyone know if Sparky has any history of playing three at the back? Because - assuming the Thames barrier isn't being disbanded - we could play that way. Baird and, especially Salcido, would work really well in a 3-5-2 thing.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

ImperialWhite

Baird and, especially Salcido, would work really well in a 3-5-2 thing.

Possibly - but wouldn't that make poor use of one of probably the most talented part of our squad - wide attacking players. Assuming you'd have Zamora +AJ/Gudjohnsen upfront and Murphy, Sidwell and Etuhu in the middle*, you'd then have Duff, Dempsey, Davies, Salcido and Baird all fighting it out for the wing back positions.

*perhaps you could play Dempsey or Davies in the middle too?

edit - actually, I could see Duff and Davies working very well as a wing back pairing. Put Dempsey in the middle as an attacking midfielder with Murphy/Sidwell holding and you might be onto something. Leaves Salcido and Baird sitting on the bench to twiddle their thumbs, mind.

Whiteroom

Quote from: HatterDon on May 01, 2011, 04:08:38 AM
He gave away the ball three times in his own half when not under pressure -- twice to the attacker closest to him. He also lost his rag and could have been carded. He did NOT have a particularly good match, but ...

I can't really judge if this is poor by his league standards because I can't remember the last time I saw him play for Arsenal and I paid attention to him. Also, he's suffering from the dreaded "I'm not Hangeland" syndrome. We didn't concede, so he helped the team to a clean sheet.

I'm with the Don on this one. Especially in the first half he looked slow. I'm not writing him off though.

Senior Supporter

Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 01, 2011, 09:43:55 AM
Baird and, especially Salcido, would work really well in a 3-5-2 thing.

Possibly - but wouldn't that make poor use of one of probably the most talented part of our squad - wide attacking players. Assuming you'd have Zamora +AJ/Gudjohnsen upfront and Murphy, Sidwell and Etuhu in the middle*, you'd then have Duff, Dempsey, Davies, Salcido and Baird all fighting it out for the wing back positions.

*perhaps you could play Dempsey or Davies in the middle too?

edit - actually, I could see Duff and Davies working very well as a wing back pairing. Put Dempsey in the middle as an attacking midfielder with Murphy/Sidwell holding and you might be onto something. Leaves Salcido and Baird sitting on the bench to twiddle their thumbs, mind.

IF Hughes were thinking of playing three at the back (and I don't think it likely) I would go with Baird as the third member of the trio every day of the week.

Fulham_Adam

I didn't see the game but at the end of the day it's one clean sheet from one game played and that can't have happened if he played badly.

I believe he was part of the Switzerland team who hold the record for most time without conceding a goal at the world cup?
The past is told by those who win.

zzamora

I think everyones running to conclusions far too quickly.

Senderos has not played for almost 8 months,with about 2 45 minute games for the reserves under his belt-to be thrown against a pacey attack for 90 minutes and to have only conceded a few mistakes is pretty good imo.

He looked good on his heading, and considering he didnt know any of the defence that well slotted in quite well. The positioning and mistakes will be ironed out as he gains match fitness and as he gets to know his defence.

White Noise

I think all the comments in this thread are fair. I don't see anyone rushing to judgement. We know its only one game and, as such, not a fair period in which ot properly judge a player but its still interesting to see what peoples initial impressions are.

I like the fact that he looks like a proper professional and seems to take his responsibilities seriously. He was quick to try and rectify his mistakes and seemed to be communicating well with his colleagues. I also liked the way he went to his captain and other colleagues just before kick-off to shake hands/embrace - it showed a good level of respect and I think personality wise he will fit in well in our dressing room.

Given that he was only 26 a couple of months back and yet started his professional career 10 years ago and has 40 plus international caps, I think he still has time to develop into a first class player. His middle name is Sylvain and if he can become as popular as Leggy with the fans he will have done alright.