watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Henry Cooper _ NFR

Started by mrska, May 01, 2011, 09:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrska

Sir Henry Cooper  has died.. aged 76.   A real sporting Hero and a lovely man..

RIP OUR ENRY!

mrska

Boxing legend Sir Henry Cooper has passed away at the age of 76 at his son's house in Oxted, Surrey.

The former English, Commonwealth and European heavyweight champion fought 55 times and is revered for his knockdown of Muhammad Ali in 1963.

London-born Cooper, who won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award twice, was knighted in 2000.

Alongside Frank Bruno, Tommy Farr and Lennox Lewis, Cooper is considered one of the best all-time British boxers.

Despite enjoying a hugely successful career, he never won a world title and retired in 1971 after losing to Joe Bugner.

Cooper is best remembered for his two famous clashes with Ali in the 1960s.

He floored the American in the fourth round with 'Enry's Ammer - his trademark left hook - but Ali eventually won the 1963 non-title fight at Wembley.

Ali later said on British television that Cooper "had hit him so hard that his ancestors in Africa felt it".

Ali triumphed again when they boxed three years later but Cooper remained a favourite with the British public.

FFCcravencottage

FatFreddysCat

Used to work in or own the stall(fruit and veg) in Greenford. Good ole London boy, for once i'll add my RIP thing, but honestly i really couldn't give a f...

FFCcravencottage

this isn't English commentary but it does show the whole bout including the knock down unlike my previous post.
CASSIUS CLAY VS HENRY COOPER.COMENTA VICENTE.

The Bronsons

I don't know if it's this fight or the rematch that is one of my earliest memories. I remember a tiny black and white TV screen and two shadowy figures going at it and my dad jumping round the living room.

Very sad to hear that Cooper has gone. Like Fat Fred, don't usually do the RIP threads. But in this case, I do give a f....

stevehawkinslidingtackle

I was lucky enough to meet him at a do, a couple of years ago in Sevenoaks. An absolute gent to spare me a couple of minutes, and I have a signed picture with him, hanging in my office here in Thailand.
Stood about 6'3, shovel mitts , unbelievably upright for a 74 yr old, and still a real presence at that age.
I think he was one of only a couple of people to have ever been knighted by the Queen and also honored by the pope.

RIP Henry.

:clap_hands:

HatterDon

Cooper's downfall was that he was a bleeder. Once European referees started stopping fights when a boxer got too many cuts, 'enery was doomed.

I was a fan. The man could be out boxed, but woe betide the man who caught one of his lefts unprotected.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

epsomraver

A great loss, a true gentleman, sad he made more money outside boxing than in it.

Logicalman

RIP to one of Britain's all-time favorite sports heroes.

A Brut of a man, alas no more 'Splash it all over' for you son, but you're not forgotten.

Alternative

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 01, 2011, 09:48:22 PM
Used to work in or own the stall(fruit and veg) in Greenford. Good ole London boy, for once i'll add my RIP thing, but honestly i really couldn't give a f...

The greengrocer was in Wembley High Road near the corner with the Ealing Road. Henry was a true old school sporting hero and a genuine man of the people. RIP.