News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If we had a full season with a fully fit squad...

Started by Tktd, May 02, 2011, 11:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyGilroy

I think anything's possible for one season. Sustaining it is the problem because as our players profile rises they will find clubs willing and able to pay them more.

If this squad though were to start a season now then I don't think top 6 is out of reach.

Jimpav

Okay just to prove how you have all been suckered into the myth that Spurs are the biggest and best club ever I thought I would outline their final league positions since we have been in the PL with them:

2009–10 4       
2008–09 8       
2007–08 11       
2006–07 5       
2005–06 5       
2004–05 9       
2003–04 14       
2002–03 10       
2001–02 9       
2000–01 12

Yep just the 3 top 6 finishes and the rest are medicore at best when compared to how much cash they have had at their disposal.

They have finished 5th twice and have won the carling cup a few times and then suddenly they are the bee's knees.

Believe me, if we keep hold of Sparky and our prized assets we will be going to Wembley or challenging for top 6.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Jimpav on May 03, 2011, 12:22:28 PM
Okay just to prove how you have all been suckered into the myth that Spurs are the biggest and best club ever I thought I would outline their final league positions since we have been in the PL with them:

2009–10 4       
2008–09 8       
2007–08 11       
2006–07 5       
2005–06 5       
2004–05 9       
2003–04 14       
2002–03 10       
2001–02 9       
2000–01 12

Yep just the 3 top 6 finishes and the rest are medicore at best when compared to how much cash they have had at their disposal.

They have finished 5th twice and have won the carling cup a few times and then suddenly they are the bee's knees.

Believe me, if we keep hold of Sparky and our prized assets we will be going to Wembley or challenging for top 6.

If we had this team in seasons gone by, we would definitely have had a better chance, but Spurs have amazing strength in depth now. Whether they can keep this without champions league football remains to be seen.

The Equalizer

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on May 03, 2011, 12:30:53 PM
If we had this team in seasons gone by, we would definitely have had a better chance, but Spurs have amazing strength in depth now.

Can you quantify that statement mate? I don't think they do actually have the strength in depth. Without Bale and Van der Vaart they look average at best. Their strikers are generally all poor, and their current defense has looked largely shambolic at times.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Equalizer on May 03, 2011, 12:36:56 PM
If we had this team in seasons gone by, we would definitely have had a better chance, but Spurs have amazing strength in depth now.

Can you quantify that statement mate? I don't think they do actually have the strength in depth. Without Bale and Van der Vaart they look average at best. Their strikers are generally all poor, and their current defense has looked largely shambolic at times.

Non homegrown (16): Assou-Ekotto, Bassong, Corluka, Cudicini, Gomes, Gallas, Hutton, Kaboul, Khumalo, Kranjcar, Modric, Palacios, Pavlyuchenko, Pienaar, Pletikosa, Van der Vaart.

Homegrown (9): Alnwick, Crouch, Dawson, Defoe, Huddlestone, Jenas, King, Lennon, Woodgate.

That does not include Bentley nor O'Hara, two players who have gotten no where near the first team at Spurs yet many on here would love to see at Fulham.

richie17

Quote from: The Equalizer on May 03, 2011, 12:36:56 PM

To be fair, the defence was shambolic because Redknapp was trying to jam van der vaart into the side.  Since he's introduced Sandro they've been a lot more balanced.  They're more or less a better version of us, and recent games between the two sides (FA Cup tie notwithstanding) seem to bear this out: tight games at Fulham, usually draws, wins for Spurs up there.  They've spent a lot of money and you might argue should be better than they are, but 8 seasons out of 10 they'll surely finish above us as the relationship between spend and league finish is strong.