https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (04.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 04, 2011, 06:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Exciting Times

Wednesday 4th May 2011

Kit Symons was understandably proud of his Under 18 side after they secured the Premier League Group A title against Leicester City in dramatic fashion last weekend.

Going into the final league game of the season, it was a two-horse race between Fulham and Southampton with the Saints needing to better Fulham's result in order to finish top.

The chances of a league title looked slim for Kit Symons' boys, with Leicester reaching the half-time interval holding a 3-0 advantage. But a dramatic turnaround saw the Whites net five second-half goals to secure the title in some style.

"I think it goes without saying that we are all very proud," said Symons. "It's been a great season for the Under 18s and this has capped a wonderful year for us all. We've made a little bit of history in terms of winning an academy title for the first time and it's a sign of what is hope will be a bright future.

"It was a staggering 90 minutes of football and one of those games that just took your breath away at times. We've gone from frustration one minute, to elation the next. But it just shows that you just can't give up.

"The first-half was probably the worst performance of the season to be honest. There were too many mistakes, which were very uncharacteristic, and at times we were all over the place – and what a time for that to happen.

"There were some words of encouragement as well as some constructive criticism shall we say at half-time and fortunately we got the response that we all wanted to see.

"At 3-0 down it was difficult to comprehend, because we had got ourselves into such a good position and on the brink of something very special. But we came dangerously close to letting it slip through our fingers, which would have been massively disappointing because the boys deserved this.

"We had to go for it – and sometimes these things come off and sometimes they don't. Fortunately it was to be our day.

"The second-half was fantastic and not only did we create and take those chances, the boys worked extremely hard in turning things around and showed a desire that was testament to what we are trying to achieve here.

"Of course, this has capped a memorable six months or so for me personally, but credit should be given to everyone within the Academy – it's not just about the players and myself as a coach, but a whole team of people.

"It was the culmination of a lot of hard work, and let's not forget the work that Gary Brazil did before me, because he put a lot of that in place and set the foundations. This Academy has been heading in the right direction for a long time and winning the title certainly underlines that.

"We're going from strength-to-strength and this really is an exciting time to be part of the Fulham Academy."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/SymonsAcademyChampions.aspx#ixzz1LOdDwHox

White Noise

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/05/04/shaun-wright-phillips-on-his-way-from-man-city/

Shaun Wright-Phillips on His Way from Man City But Must Choose Wisely

04/5/2011 8:15 AM GMT

By Graham Chase

He may have attracted £30 million in transfer fees but Shaun Wright-Phillips must be wondering how he has just 221 league starts to his name as he approaches 30 and wonders where his career is about to take him.

Still adored at Eastlands - by fans if not management - Wright-Phillips chose the wrong time to go to Chelsea, where he made 43 league starts in three years, and then picked the wrong time to come back.

And over a year after his father, Ian Wright, claimed the winger was being 'mugged off' over his contract, it looks as though Wright-Phillips will be on his way this summer.

This season has seen him start just two Premier League matches and he was only kept at Eastlands in January due to Adam Johnson suffering an ankle injury.

No matter how much you are adored by supporters, that is nowhere near what he would have expected for this stage of his career.

And it has been months since there was any talk of an extension to a contract that expires in 12 months.

After being rescued from Stamford Bridge, it all seemed so different three years ago and his form on his return to Eastlands, just weeks before the Abu Dhabi United Group takeover, was impressive.

At his flying best, there are few better wingers of Wright-Phillips' type in English football, streaking down the right flank with his feet almost reaching his shoulders as he sprints.

Yet that is a sight that has been seen all too rarely over the past 12 months and his next move could be one that defines his career.

After a lifetime spent at City and Chelsea, Wright-Phillips must accept that his suitors will come from a less glamorous bracket but may also finally offer him the regular action that he has been starved of for so many seasons.

The most recent reports suggest that Bolton and Fulham are considering moving for the pacey winger at the end of the season and both clubs would be ideal for him.

The best times of his career have been when he is the focal point for his team, enjoying the total faith of his manager.

A switch to Craven Cottage would see him reunited with Mark Hughes, who was the man who took him back to Eastlands.

He would not be returning south to fill up the bench and would be tasked with giving a cutting edge to a solid base.

Bolton is perhaps the more likely destination, however, with reports suggesting that Owen Coyle would look to include Wright-Phillips and Dedryck Boyata if City move for Gary Cahill.

He may start next season in a smaller pond but Wright-Phillips will thrive being the big fish once again.

White Noise

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/5/4/2153353/european-football-probably-couldnt-come-at-a-better-time-for-fulham

European Football Probably Couldn't Come at a Better Time for Fulham

by Kristian Balkin on May 4, 2011 5:13 PM BST

The dreaded anniversary is almost upon us.

Only 357 days have passed since one of the most disappointing climaxes in the history of football.

It was almost as if, on that dreadfully bitter-sweet May evening, the whole viewing public were behind us.

We were a naive, tentative, small town club that had caught the imagination of football. Fulham toppled the holders, defeated, against the most arduous of circumstances, the 'Old Lady' of European football and knocked out the hosts with an almost unerring ease.

Seemingly effortless it may have been at times, but Hodgson never allowed complacency. That's why we became loved. Perhaps only temporarily, but it won't be just Fulham fans that will look back upon 12th May 2010 and subconsciously applaud a genuinely, albeit surprisingly, world-beating side.

To achieve such a feat again though? Surely not?

Well, come the end of the season, it could become very easily apparent that the Cottagers will be playing some sort of role in what will be the 3rd year of the Europa League. The European Fair Play League will be our route in, and while not illustrating the most glamorous of entries, it's respectable nonetheless.

And perhaps, just perhaps, European football for Fulham couldn't be more appropriately placed on a history timeline that brags barely a single recognisable trophy.

A managerial change has of course been bestowed upon us at Craven Cottage, with the manager behind the European master-class now enjoying more mid-table obscurity at West Bromwich Albion, but the addition of Mark Hughes at the helm is, if anything, only a step in the right direction.

He's a disciplined, hard-nosed and therefore effectual man who knows how to get results. Admittedly, it's not all gone his way this season and I'll be the first to admit that at times, even I was concerned for our safety under his tutorship. If the ex-Man City manager has taught us one thing though, it's to trust what he says in that his sides are indeed 'end-of-season teams'. We've blitzed up to 9th place over the past few weeks and in the process have shipped few goals while scoring plenty.

Our rise in form has coincided rather cosily with an array of injury returnees, which bodes rather well in an effort to prove that we have a team with the capability of success at the highest level. The side has barely changed since last May. In fact, it's only strengthened. Bobby Zamora may have had a lengthy lay-off but he's back at his best now, while new boy Moussa Dembele hasn't left a single fan's mouth dry as they drool over his fantastically innate dribbling skills.

Perhaps most important to any European title aspiration, though, is the experience that we now possess. An immediate return the Europa League would have been too soon. The dreaded day would have been fresh in their minds and any willingness to revenge their defeat would have been outdone by a simple mental barrier that only time can erode. A season later though and the memories provide the perfect ammunition for another shot (excuse the pun) at the big time.The likes of Danny Murphy, Zamora and Brede Hangeland can call on their previous knowledge and before you know it, a European Final could await in May 2012.

It must be said though, that I may be getting a long way ahead of myself. Yet, it's a sign of the ever-improving times if a Fulham fan can genuinely write an article detailing his side's realistic chances of European success come next season.

White Noise

London Legends Cup

Wednesday 4th May 2011

Craven Cottage is the place to be on Sunday 29th May, as the London Legends Cup comes to SW6. This event offers the chance to see 16 former stars from each of Fulham, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham battle it out on the Cottage turf.

Two former Fulham Managers, Chris Coleman and Roy Hodgson, are returning as Captain and Manager of the Fulham side, and supporters from all four London clubs will be able to watch their heroes from yesteryear roll back the clock.

The tournament comprises three matches of 40 minutes each designed to promote an attacking and exciting style of play.

Chelsea will play Fulham at 3pm followed by Arsenal v Spurs at 4pm, with the two winners meeting in the final at 5pm. This will be followed by a trophy and medal presentation at 4:45pm.

We have a number of hospitality options| available for the tournament, and more information can be found online, or by calling 020 8336 7555.

With match tickets starting at just £10 for adults and £5 for juniors, the London Legends Cup offers an opportunity for a great day out for the whole family.

Buy tickets for the London Legends Cup|

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/LondonLegendsCup.aspx#ixzz1LP7oiKZ2

White Noise

http://www.futebolportugal.com/2011/05/olhanense-dady-perto-do-fulham-fc/

Olhanense: Dady near Fulham FC

Article by SoccerIsTheRealThing on May 4, 2011

Returning after three and a half years to the Portuguese league, Eduardo Fernandes Pereira Gomes, advanced 29 years of Cape Verdean origin of Olhanense, who promised to revive his career in the class of the Algarve, is close to signing for Fulham Football Portugal knows. Remember that Dady was highlighted in the 2006/07 season by scoring 15 goals in the league at the service of Belenenses. After three seasons at Osasuna stayed before going to Turkey to make just four games in Bursasport. This season the dorsal 20 did not score any goal in Liga Sagres Zon ...

White Noise

Fulham star fighting fit after injury hell

By Paul Warburton

May 4 2011

SIMON Davies is injury free for the first time this year – and the Fulham stalwart admitted it's done his confidence a power of good.

The midfielder scored twice to help the Whites to a 3-0 win over Sunderland last weekend and reckons he's in the groove for more when Fulham take on Liverpool at home on Monday night.

The 31-year-old suffered an instep injury that blighted the season before last, and then picked up an ankle injury against CSKA Sofia just before Christmas, 2009.

Davies recovered to score the only Fulham goal in the Europa League final against Atletico Madrid the following May – but revealed the problem resurfaced this season.

"I think I may have gone over on my ankle in training and it was nothing serious at the time," he said.

"When I started to feel it I had injections. But when you're not feeling your best, you're not likely to play at your best – and it started to affect my confidence and I got left out.

"I got another opportunity because of Damien's (Duff) injury – and in any season these things happen.

"My ankle might give me more problems in the future – but right now it's fine and I feel good."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/05/04/fulham-star-fighting-fit-after-injury-hell-82029-28636428/#ixzz1LPgb6Sy8