https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Did We Know This About The Brick?

Started by White Noise, May 04, 2011, 08:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Putney pub crowned south west London's best

7:10am Friday 18th February 2011

Boozers at a Putney pub will be toasting to its success after it was named south west London pub of the year.

The Bricklayers Arms in Putney has been crowned as the South West London Pub of the Year by local members of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA).

The pub in Waterman Street, beat off the challenge of seven other pubs from Wimbledon, Wandsworth, Battersea and Balham.

Bricklayers landlady Becky Newman said:"We are just absolutely delighted and really proud of getting the award, we didn't at all expect to win it again this year."

The pub previously won the award in 2006 and 2008, and has twice in 2007 and 2009, been named the best CAMRA pub in Greater London.

Over 1,400 CAMRA members voted for the award which was announced at this year's Battersea Beer Festival earlier this month.

Coming closely behind the Bricklayers in second place was the Eagle Ale House in Chatham Road, Battersea, and The Nightingale in Nightingale Lane, Balham, came in third.

Other pubs in contention for the prize included The Grapes in Wandsworth Town and Le Gothique in Wandsworth Common, alongside Wimbledon pubs The Sultan and The Hand in Hand.

FatFreddysCat

She panicks a bit when you start singing outside after night games. But fair play i quite like the Brick, much better than the Golden Rain, sorry Lion.

The Doctor

Damnation.  I used to live just round the corner (and up the hill) from The Grapes.  *Kicks self for never giving it a try*

The Equalizer

WN - where did you get this article? I've got a few buddies I need to show this too.

And I'm sure Becky will be pleasantly pissed as a catholic priest when I see her tomorrow night!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

The Equalizer

I've just noticed the date of that article! I'm sure I already knew this!!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

BalDrick

Not bad - head and shoulders above the Lion that's for sure - but far from a great Guinness.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Equalizer

Quote from: BalDrick on May 05, 2011, 12:11:15 PM
Not bad - head and shoulders above the Lion that's for sure - but far from a great Guinness.

I thought you were a zider boy now...

ImperialWhite

I really should try a Dublin Guiness one day, but...

...what is it about Guiness, above all other drinks, which renders it so sensitive to some mythical pub "terroir". I drink Guiness often, but I rarely think "cor, The Kings Arms does a good Guiness" or "ooh, I'll never 'av a Guiness in the St Aldates Tavern again".

But I'm just a phillistine I guess.

sipwell

Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 05, 2011, 12:54:08 PM

...what is it about Guiness, above all other drinks, which renders it so sensitive to some mythical pub "terroir". I drink Guiness often, but I rarely think "cor, The Kings Arms does a good Guiness" or "ooh, I'll never 'av a Guiness in the St Aldates Tavern again".

It's the same with Belgian beer. It has to do with pressure, the distance between barrel and tap and some other elements. I can take you to four different bars in Brussels where the same beer (Jupiler) will taste 4 times completely differently (out of which one is, quite frankly, undrinkable). So, you can rate the same beer differently at different places.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Vinnieffc

Mmmmm.. Dublin Guinness  :beer:

BalDrick

Quote from: Vinnieffc on May 05, 2011, 01:43:31 PM

Mmmmm.. Dublin Guinness  :beer:

+ :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Quote from: sipwell on May 05, 2011, 12:58:18 PM

It's the same with Belgian beer. It has to do with pressure, the distance between barrel and tap and some other elements. I can take you to four different bars in Brussels where the same beer (Jupiler) will taste 4 times completely differently (out of which one is, quite frankly, undrinkable). So, you can rate the same beer differently at different places.

Temperature is a big thing too - it's effectively cream, but lots of landlords don't keep it at fridge temperature.

Quote from: The Equalizer on May 05, 2011, 12:14:53 PM

I thought you were a zider boy now...

Cider or Guinness mate, depends on various factors. Anywhere in London on a matchday is likely to be too busy to do a decent Guinness for a start. Cider is best in the sunshine, oh and the Belle does a lovely cider. I drank a stack of Guinness the day after seeing you last weekend, son's rugby club awards do, which became a 6-pint lunch. Thank god for Bank Holiday Mondays...

The Equalizer

I felt rough as arseholes on sunday morning mate! Good afternoon/evening though.

BalDrick

Quote from: The Equalizer on May 05, 2011, 02:56:59 PM
I felt rough as arseholes on sunday morning mate! Good afternoon/evening though.

Yep, nice almost-end-of-the-season do! I've managed to get a ticket for the arsewipes so it seems my season's not quite over. Not sure whether to drive yet, post-match drinks on Sundays are rubbish, everyone goes home too quickly