watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham v Man U Semi-Final Replay (Highbury) Video

Started by FFCcravencottage, May 08, 2011, 10:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Pity they did'nt show the Johnny Haynes goal that equalised it at 4-4 but was then disallowed. As I have said previously, I could'nt go to that game, as I was joining the Army next day for my National Service so it was good to see some of the game. Bet Tony G is happy to see Tony Macedo mess up.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Peabody on May 08, 2011, 12:33:35 PM
Bet Tony G is happy to see Tony Macedo mess up.

Absolutely not.

Evidence of his ability though in black and white.

Flamboyent. Capable of brilliance but unreliable. Didn't take care of himself and his career was on the slide by his mid twenties.

Peabody

Ah but what you are ignoring Tony is that, just like Peter Mellor a few years later, Tony was the only reason we got that far. In fact I think both he and Harry Gregg were the men of the match in the first game.

CorkedHat

If it hadn't been for Macedo we wouldn't have been in the Semi-Final anyway. The whole bloody world (except Fulham fans) wanted Man U to win following the Munich tragedy. We didn't stand a chance from the word go.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

HatterDon

yeah, I know, but three of those goals were imminently stoppable -- even in the fog. I know there's a lot of love for Macedo amongst the British contingent on here that are my age, but with the exception of Tony Warner, I can't think of a GK we've had in the Prem that would have fumbled that many in one match. 
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Peabody

That was one match, I saw quite a few times more than that and that is why I rate hime as Fulhams best ever keeper. Agree with Tony that in later years he did lose something but imo not enough to take the crown away.

HatterDon

Quote from: Peabody on May 08, 2011, 02:53:04 PM
That was one match, I saw quite a few times more than that and that is why I rate hime as Fulhams best ever keeper. Agree with Tony that in later years he did lose something but imo not enough to take the crown away.

Well, if he was better than Van der Sar and Tha Big Aussie, he must have been amazing. I yield to your experience and acumen, Mr. Peabody, and salute the Gent from Gibraltar.  :clap_hands:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Peabody

When people criticise Tony, they forget that he was on the verge of being made Englands goalkeeper, he already had numerous Under 23 (as it was then) caps and the FA with their usual courageous decision making decided that he was'nt English. Never mind that he had served in the RAF for his National Service, never mind that he had represented England at various levels.  He was a better keeper than all of his contempories, certainly better than Ron Springett.

CorkedHat

In my opinion Van der Sar and Schwarzer aren't good enough to lace up Macedo's boots. It is sad that he should be remembered for this one nightmare of a match. You should have seen Gary Sprake known to Leeds fans as Cinderella because he kept missing the ball. Macedo was excitement personnified
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Fernhurst

Absolutely adored our Tony and was so proud to have him in our team. His acrobatic leaps and saves really impressed this 10 year old. You are so right Mr P far better than Springett ( you learn something new each day, I was never aware of the "race" issue).
Even with dewy eyes I still could not vote Tony our best ever that vote would definitely go to Mark or EVDS.... probably the big Dutchman would shade it for having to play behind Zat!!

Fernhurst

FFCcravencottage

Well I can only say he really was one of my hero's when growing up. (No unfortunately that isn't me getting the autographs).

Peabody

Yeah, who's the other bloke with Tony? Only joking