watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Micky Adams sacked as Blades manager

Started by os5889, May 10, 2011, 07:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron

Very few managers survive a relegation season. The best thing about it is that no tarnish at all transfers to the memory of his solid silver contribution to our fortunes.

CULTUREVULTURE

They were as good as down when he took the job. They should have allowed him a crack at promotion next season.

finnster01

Quote from: CULTUREVULTURE on May 10, 2011, 07:26:21 PM
They were as good as down when he took the job. They should have allowed him a crack at promotion next season.
Agreed.

Micky didn't bring them down.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

os5889

I really like both the Sheffield clubs. Still maintain they would be back in the PL if they hadnt sacked Warnock.

Feel for Micky Adams though as Speed and his predecessors did one 'eck of a job on that squad!

Kenny, Jagielka, Morgan, Kilgallon, Geary, Gillespie, Montgomery, Tonge, Stephen Quinn (Kazim-Richards, Webber, Stead.

Only Quinn is still at Utd still I think from their relegation squad  :034:

LBNo11

...Micky Adams will always be a hero for me, make no mistake, without his fighting spirit and tenacity and ability to make us believe again, Fulham would still be bumping around in the lower leagues, through his work he made the proposal more attractive (with the help of Bill Muddyman and Captain Morgan) for the present chairman to invest in Fulham FC.

As mentioned, Micky did not put SU into the relegation zone, he is a blades supporter through and through and I am sure he would have put all the resources at his disposal into keeping HIS team from being relegated. To sack him and expect someone else who hasn't the same heart and love of the club to take them back up is crackers.

Men like Micky will not be long out of a job in football...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

TonyGilroy

His career does seem to show diminishing returns though. No idea why.

Of course if he was the right guy to be appointed you can argue that he should have been given longer but he presumably hasn't impressed.

Lawrie Sanchez thinks he should have had longer at FFC. Sometimes it just doesn't work from day one.

LBNo11

...TG, I always got the impression that when the present chairman arrived with promises of relatively unlimited funding that Micky wanted to build slowly using his existing contacts with the intention of making steady progress as such funding was alien to him. Obviously he had not come across a chairman that actually produced the goods he promised, and with the ambition to succeed hard and fast.

We will never know how the Adams' Family would have progressed had he beleived and acted on the dream, but I suspect that it would never have been fast enough to fulfill the chairmans expectations. Adams strikes me as a proud man who wants to do things his own way, at his own pace. I don't doubt his ambition, not at all, but his way of realising his ambition may not to be to everyones template of moving forward.

Whatever happens I still want him to succeed at the level he feels comfortable in. His reception when Fulham played Port Vale shows the extremely high regard the fans still hold him and his acknowledgement to the Fulham fans who sang his name was a lovely moment...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

TonyGilroy

I agree with all that.

At the time his sacking seemed wholly wrong but MAF clearly knew what he was doing.

Job by job though Adams seems to have done slightly less well.

Burt

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Really sorry to hear about Micky...................
he was VERY unlucky with injuries ( Chris Morgan..the captain, Johnny Ertl, Darius Henderson, Andy Taylor, Ryan France and goalkeeper Richard Wright.)

I Will always regard him in a warm light, he was a Fulham manager, and did a splendid job for us  

...................either way how can you not like/admire a man who said this :

from FulhamWeb
Micky Adams accepts the sack was right
last updated Friday 26th April 2002, 5:33 PM

Fulham ex-manager Micky Adams has admitted that Fulham supremo Mohammed Al Fayed made "a wise decision" in sacking him even though it "hurt like hell" at the time.

Adams kept Fulham from dropping into the Conference six years ago when they were in financial turmoil, then the following season earned the Cottagers promotion to Division Two.

Mr. Al Fayed had taken charge that summer and Fulham lost 7 of the first 13 games so Micky adams was shown the door and Kevin Keegan stepped into the hotseat.

It was a bitter blow at the time for Adams

He believes that the subsequent success under Al Fayed in making Fulham a force to be reckoned with in the Premiership means his decision to sack him was justified.

Adams said: "Whilst at the time I was disappointed to say the very least with the sacking, I think you can in hindsight it's been good for Fulham and it's been good for Micky Adams.

"When I took over they were 23rd in the Third Division and there was a lot of work to be done and there were massive cash problems.

"We managed to stay up and then obtained promotion and I suppose the club was more attractive to Mr Fayed in the Second Division than in the Third.

"But I was well aware that he had a five-year plan which we discussed on numerous occasions and when you look where they are now, you have to say it was a wise decision to release me.

"It was the fact that Kevin Keegan was available and he has achieved everything that I want to achieve.

"I've got no axe to grind with anyone and if I see Mr Fayed  then I will shake his hand and pass the time of day with him."

nevzter

"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

LRCN

words cannot describe how much i love micky adams

epsomraver

Quote from: LBNo11 on May 10, 2011, 09:33:55 PM
...TG, I always got the impression that when the present chairman arrived with promises of relatively unlimited funding that Micky wanted to build slowly using his existing contacts with the intention of making steady progress as such funding was alien to him. Obviously he had not come across a chairman that actually produced the goods he promised, and with the ambition to succeed hard and fast. 

We will never know how the Adams' Family would have progressed had he believed and acted on the dream, but I suspect that it would never have been fast enough to fulfill the chairmans expectations. Adams strikes me as a proud man who wants to do things his own way, at his own pace. I don't doubt his ambition, not at all, but his way of realising his ambition may not to be to everyones template of moving forward.

Whatever happens I still want him to succeed at the level he feels comfortable in. His reception when Fulham played Port Vale shows the extremely high regard the fans still hold him and his acknowledgement to the Fulham fans who sang his name was a lovely moment...

[/quote

Mo wanted a big name if I remember correctly Ed  that  would bring the top  players in so we got Keegan as Chief  Operations Director, a title he didn't know what it meant and poor old Mickey was told not to get on the team bus. very embarrassing when they asked Mickey back afterwards to collect his medal at the cottage, surprised he didn't tell Mo to stick it where the sun don't shine

The Doctor

Quote from: Lork on May 12, 2011, 02:05:04 PM
words cannot describe how much i love micky adams

Likewise.

To pick up on Tony's point, Adams' best managerial achievements have all come at the lower end of League football - us, Brighton (first stint), and was doing well with Vale this season.  That may well be his "natural level", but who can blame him for jumping at the opportunities he's had to manage at higher levels, especially with the club he grew up supporting?

Hope he's successful again soon.  There's always an ailing club in need of turning around.  Keep the Faith, Micky

epsomraver

He trebled his wages going to the blades so who could blame him.

TheDaddy

Top man Adams had time for us supporters,very loyal and a gent wish him all the best.Stupid to sack him i think the majority of Blades fans are a little bemused by it ,On SSNs they were all saying he inherited a poor squad and had no money !
I blame Sean Bean an arrogant fellow i had the mis pleasure of bumping into one day in the Chancellors..
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

epsomraver

With no money and a crocked squad he was on a loser all the way, owners have no patience and want instant success with little investment, the two do not go together.He is a great guy and we get an xmas card from him most years

The Doctor

A happy addendum to this little tale - albeit a bit late on my part.  Port Vale have reappointed Micky Adams.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/9483239.stm

And Super Geoff is still there.  Good stuff.  Hope they get promoted next season