https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (11.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 10, 2011, 10:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham 3-3 Sunderland (aet) FFC win 4-1 on pens

Tuesday 10th May 2011

Fulham's Under 18s secured a place in the final of the Premier Academy League with a penalty shootout victory over Sunderland at Motspur Park on Tuesday evening. A dramatic encounter finished 3-3 after extra time but the Whites kept their nerve to win 4-1 on penalties.

With a place in the final of the Premier Academy League at stake, Fulham made a bright start with Marcello Trotta in particular putting Sunderland goalkeeper Lewis King under pressure with some intelligent early running.

Despite having the upper hand for most of the opening exchanges, the Whites were dealt a blow when Sunderland opened the scoring with their first attack of the match on nine minutes. The ball fell kindly to Craig Lynch in the area and the Sunderland attacker gave Grant Smith no chance with a well-placed curling effort.

Fulham continued to press, but whilst the ball was spending most its time in the Sunderland half, there was little to trouble King. The visitors were at their most dangerous on the counter-attack and the speed with which they were able to break forward certainly had the Whites worried at times.

There were nervous moments for the Sunderland back line on 25 minutes when Charles Banya and Alex Smith combined down the left flank to feed the ball to Trotta in the area. The Italian striker made space for himself with a wonderful turn, only to see his shot blocked by King. The ricochet rolled just wide of an unguarded net.

King was called into action again on 32 minutes when he produced an acrobatic save to deny the lively Charles Banya. And Fulham were again denied a certain equaliser on 34 minutes when Ronnie Minkwitz was allowed a free shot in the penalty area, only for King to react well and push the ball away with a smart save.

A fine opportunity for Alex Brister on 42 minutes was expertly turned away by King - who was proving worth his weight in gold for the visitors.

The second-half continued in much the same vein as the first, with Sunderland maintaining possession in deep in their half and looking to hit Fulham on the break.

Fulham deservedly scored the equaliser on 52 minutes, finally breaking down Sunderland's stubborn defence. Alex Smith was on hand to capitalise on a defensive mix-up from the visitors to drill a low shot into the back on the net.

The goal appeared to spur Sunderland into action, as they proceeded to have their best attacking spell of the game. But Fulham soon reasserted themselves and were unfortunate not to take the lead on 59 minutes when Trotta turned his man in the area and placed a finish just wide of the post.

Corey Gameiro replaced Charles Banya just after the hour mark as Kit Symons looked to beef up his goal scoring options. And Gameiro combined well with Trotta shortly after his introduction, settling up a fine chance which, once again, was saved by the impressive Lewis King.

Trotta then put Fulham in the lead with a wonderful piece of individual skill on 70 minutes. The Italian striker weaved his way trough a sea of defenders in the area before applying a composed finish past King from a narrow angle.

But Fulham's lead was short-lived and after a series of scares for the Whites, Sunderland netted the equaliser through Jordan Laidler on 73 minutes. The Fulham goal had led a charmed life after Trotta's strike and the leveller was certainly deserved.

The remaining minutes of normal time were played out under tense conditions as fatigue started to affect both sides.

Richard Peniket replaced Alex Brister at the start of extra time. And with the stakes high, neither side was keen on committing too many people forward. But the Whites re-took the lead in dramatic fashion when Kerim Frei made space for himself on the edge of the Sunderland area and hit a low shot beyond King on 93 minutes.

But dramatically Sunderland struck back minutes later when Alejandro Rodriguez Gorrin hit fierce 25-yard shot that flew past Grant Smith's outstretched hand into the bottom corner.

Fulham started the second-half of extra time with a fine chance for Frei, whose powerful volley was palmed away at the near post by King. Alex Smith then came to the rescue for Fulham with a match saving tackle when a Sunderland goal looked certain.

The Whites had a penalty appeal turned down on 112 minutes after Mahrez Bettache went to ground in the area after a mazy run. Play continued and Marcello Trotta forced a routine catch from King, heading Alex Smith's cross towards goal.

That proved to be the final piece of action, with the tie going to penalties.

Penalties
Fulham won the toss and Josh Pritchard made no mistake with the first for Fulham. Sunderland missed their opening kick, with a fiercely struck shot from George Honeyman hitting the underside of the bar and bouncing away.

Lewis Smith successfully converted his spot kick, as did Sunderland's Jordan Laidler to make the score 2-1 to the Whites.

Corey Gameiro maintained his composure to make it 3-1 to Fulham and Grant Smith produced a wonderful save to deny James Armstrong.

The stage was then set for Kerim Frei to take the decisive kick. The attacker kept a calm head and confidently tucked his kick away – sparking scenes of wild celebration for Kit Symons' men.

Team  Pen 1  Pen 2  Pen 3  Pen 4 
Fulham  O  O  O  O 
Sunderland  X  O  X  - 

Fulham Team: G Smith; Marquez-Sanchez, Toure, Arthurworrey, A Smith; Banya (Gameiro 62), Minkwitz (Bettache 96), Brister (Peniket 91), Pritchard; Trotta, Frei

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/FulhamU18vSunderlandU18Report.aspx#ixzz1LzAp2RAg

White Noise

Etheridge Contract Extension

Tuesday 10th May 2011

Fulham Football Club can confirm that Academy graduate goalkeeper Neil Etheridge| has signed a contract extension that will see him remain at the Club until at least the summer of 2013.

Etheridge has enjoyed recent international success with the Philippines and was present on the Fulham bench while David Stockdale deputised for Mark Schwarzer, who participated in the 2011 Asian Cup with Australia during the month of January.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/EtheridgeContractExtension.aspx#ixzz1LzIXJ8UM

White Noise

Seat Hold Reminder

Tuesday 10th May 2011

There are just a few hours remaining for Season Ticket Holders to retain their current seat(s) for 2011/12. After tonight's midnight deadline, any seats not renewed will be made available for other fans to purchase so renew your Season Ticket(s) online today|.

Your 2011/12 Season Ticket will guarantee your seat to all 19 home Barclays Premier League games and, as our Early Bird prices are still in effect, you will save between £50 and £150 off the full price. In addition to this unbelievable saving you will also receive an extra 20 Bonus Loyalty Points by renewing early.

Our new flat rate Instalment Plan|* can help you to cover the cost of your Season Ticket with an additional cost of just £20 for a six month or £25 for a nine month plan. If you have more than one Season Ticket in your household, you can even put them all on the same Instalment Plan.

Make sure that you don't miss out on another exciting season of Barclays Premier League football by renewing today.

Renew online today|

*Terms and conditions apply|

Please  note, our ticket office will close at 5pm today, the 12pm Seat Hold deadline refers to applications made online.

Instalment Plan applications must be completed in writing and are unavailable online

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/SeatHoldReminder.aspx#ixzz1LzIqWcgY

White Noise

http://www.evertonfc.com//news/archive/2011/05/10/u18s-will-face-fulham?utm_source=rss_everton&utm_medium=rss_feed&utm_term=U18s+Will+Face+Fulham

U18S WILL FACE FULHAM

Tuesday 10 May 2011, 19:58

by Matthew Gamble

2  Everton Under-18s will face Fulham in the national Academy League final.

The London outfit overcame Sunderland in their semi-final on Tuesday evening.

The score after extra time was 3-3 but the Cottagers kept their cool and triumphed on penalties.

Everton won their semi-final 3-2 against Aston Villa on Monday.

Details of the final, which is likely to be played this week, will be announced on evertonfc.com when they are confirmed.

White Noise

McLeish hoping Birmingham City's home form will see them safe

May 10 2011

Alex McLeish believes Birmingham City's home form can ensure Premier League survival against Fulham on Sunday.

Blues are just three points above the bottom three after a poor recent run of results. But at St Andrew's the Carling Cup holders have collected seven points from the last nine via wins over Bolton and Sunderland and a draw against Wolves with 10 men.

McLeish said: "We've had three hard away games at Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle in the last four matches.

"We haven't done enough to get past 40 points but we've had terrific results in the last three home games that have got us to 39.

"Our form at St Andrew's of late has been good and I would back us against anyone in front of our own fans.

"Yes, we need a result against Fulham. They are a hard team to play against, have good movement, are a good footballing side. They have some fantastic forwards.

"It will be a tough game for us but we are at St Andrew's, we have got that magic crowd behind us and they can give us that extra couple of per cent.

"The battle goes on and we have to keep fighting to the last.

"We have to make that final push and that's what we will be endeavouring to do."

McLeish will be without midfielder Craig Gardner and defender Liam Ridgewell against the Cottagers.

Gardner will complete a two-game ban for his red card against Wolves while Ridgewell will have to serve a one-match suspension for his sending-off against Newcastle.

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-birmingham-sport/west-midlands-sports/birmingham-city-fc/2011/05/10/mcleish-hoping-birmingham-city-s-home-form-will-see-them-safe-65233-28670020/#ixzz1LzKZ3TWD

White Noise

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,14323_6925239,00.html

Dikgacoi believes in Bafana

Bafana Bafana midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi believes Pitso Mosimane's side have the ability to beat Egypt in their own back yard when the teams clash in Cairo next month.

KG was not included in the South Africa squad to face Tanzania on Saturday in a warm-up for June 5's crucial African Nations Cup return against The Pharoahs after he missed the final two games of his loan spell with Championship side Crystal Palace due to injury.

But with a place in next year's finals in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea at stake if Bafana can secure another three points, Dikgacoi has admitted the late victory in the home leg has given the players extra confidence.

"We showed that we can beat them already but it would be an even bigger achievement if we beat them at their home ground," he told Football365.co.za.

"We are capable of doing that because we have shown good resilience and I have no doubt we can qualify in the next match.

"It's a shame not to be involved this week but I'm happy to be home, seeing the family and taking a break from football."

After arriving at Palace in February on loan from Fulham, Dikgacoi played 13 times for the south Londoners and helped them secure their second-tier status with two matches to spare.

But a hamstring strain meant he was forced to miss out on the chance to say farewell to the club and its supporters in Saturday's final match against Nottingham Forest.

KG admitted he was disappointed but he is now hoping to force his way into Mark Hughes' plans at Craven Cottage next season.

"I am still contracted to them but the main focus is to be in a team whereby I will get game time," he maintained.

"If that means I have to move then that's what will happen. I believe I did well in the Premier League and still can do better it's just a matter of being given game time."

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/05/slaughterhouse_five.php

Slaughterhouse Five

Posted by Phil Mison 10 hours, 29 minutes ago

There's not much to say about our drubbing at the hands of a rampant Liverpool. We were outclassed. Still, if your keeper hands the opposition a three goal start...

Entertaining it certainly was. Seven goals down by the Thames, and some crackers among them, sadly for Fulham fans five of them came at the wrong end. Only two league goals conceded at the Cottage since Boxing Day - that margin exceeded after barely 15 minutes with our defence all at sea as the roof caved in.

Well done Kenny for transforming Liverpool's style of play from the turgid manner that made Woy such a hate figure during his short tenure. Suarez was sublime, Maxi magnificent, Liverpool not only turned on a masterclass, the margin of victory could well have been greater. Fulham were lucky not to concede a penalty against Hangeland, who endured a torrid night. Was he still feeling under the weather? While we blocked two certain goals on the line.

However, the analytical knife sadly has to expose a truly awful display from the veteran Schwarzer, and just after I'd praised his recent solidity in my pre-match build up. Does this give the manager food for thought long-term I wonder? Hughes has been showing a perverse streak with team selection all season and it was on display again for this match. Not starting with your England centre-forward immediately puts Fulham on the back foot. We were clearly a different force up front from the minute Bobby appeared, had our best spell of the game, and evidence of Bobby's hold up skills were there for all to see as he set up Dembele for a routine finish.

I'm at a loss to understand what Hughes is trying to prove with Gudjohnsen. It's just my personal opinion, but I'm not going to be ecstatic to see him given a contract for next season. He's lost the edge that once made him so dangerous, he plays too deep to be your spearhead in a 4-4-2 set-up, and - frankly, he doesn't now look to me like he has goals in his locker. So on that criteria, please tell me Mark what he's going to bring to the cause next year when he's 33?

On the subject of veterans nearing the end of their careers, the bell has been tolling for our skipper for a year now. Danny played with a scowl from the first minute when we conceded a dreadful goal and almost managed to talk himself into a red card by haranguing Mason after being whistled up for his first foul of the match.

Another long term stalwart, Hughes initially put us under pressure missing the first minute pass that put Suarez away down the left, he also found the pace of Liverpool's forwards a handful throughout. In fact, I have rarely seen our two centre-backs so comprehensively shredded. The records show that in three seasons Aaron and Brede's understanding and reading of the game has been one of tremendous value to the club. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt for now and remember this was a Liverpool side on fire.

I make no secret of the fact that from the moment I watched Stockdale last August with calm authority deal with everything United could throw at him, I have favoured his selection ahead of Schwarzer. So he had a couple of flaky performances in January and rumours circulated that he was maybe carrying a few extra pounds - but he's the long term future for Fulham as number one keeper in my eyes - and I know a lot of other fans around me yesterday at the ground agree. Which way does the gaffer play it for the last two matches? He'll put an arm around Mark, tell him everyone has an off day, to forget it, and stick him back in against Brum. Me? I'd reward a bad performance like that with a spell of bench-warming and repay David for his patience with a run out against City and Arsenal.

I know a football match doesn't work like this, but without the Reds being gift-wrapped a three goal start we might have ended up with the 2-2 draw I predicted. At the end of the day that would still have been a travesty. The defeat didn't leave me with the usual negative aftertaste that ruins my week. It was a privilege to admire the skills of Suarez in particular. The speed at which Liverpool moved the ball through us - our five bookings tells you all about how overrun we were - is I hope a salutary lesson that Sparky will turn to good advantage to move our own club forward next season.

I guess a comparison between our own ambitions and Liverpool's only underlines the obvious. Entering December both clubs were alongside each other at the wrong end of the table. In January Liverpool splash £50 million to land Suarez and Andy Carroll (boy was he not missed!) and Kenny now has them pushing hard for 4th place. While, with our wage structure as it is, Mark is looking to sell Fulham supporters on the idea that Eidur could maybe still do a job for us in the Premiership...and it helps that he'll probably come on a free. We are operating in a parallel universe. We're not unique, but that's how the Premiership plays out as a competition, and we just have to accept it.

Here's hoping we can bounce back at St. Andrews. Picking Zamora from the start please would be a good idea. And now he's remembered where the back of the net is, stick Dembele back in the 'sweatbox.' (See previous blog 'Practice makes Perfect.')

We Still Believe! Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6925363,00.html

Murphy lauds Reds progress

And young Cottagers keeper Etheridge pens new deal

Last Updated: May 10, 2011 5:16pm

Murphy: Battled hard against a Liverpool side he believes can kick on going into next season

Fulham captain Danny Murphy believes his former club Liverpool can mount a title challenge next season.

The Reds are in the middle of an impressive run of form having fought back up to fifth in the league following a sluggish start to the season under Roy Hodgson.

With Kenny Dalglish now at the helm and a new crop of youngsters staking a claim for first-team places, there is an air of optimism at the club that has not gone unnoticed from former Kop star Murphy.

The 34-year-old was forced to reflect on a heavy 5-2 defeat at the hands of Liverpool at Craven Cottage on Monday night, a strong statement from a team in form.

Little pressure

"At the moment they're playing under very little pressure," he said.

"They are not having to go out and win games because nobody is expecting them to reach a certain position.

"It will be a different ask when players are under pressure every week if they are fighting for the top.

"But with Kenny in charge, and a few more additions, they'll be pushing for the top four.

"They've got young lads coming through and doing brilliantly. The full-back John Flanagan was terrific against us, Jay Spearing is a good player.

"Mix that with Stevie G (Gerrard) to come back, plus some investment from the American owners, and I would imagine they will be up there.

"They are obviously competing with Manchester City, who'll probably spend treble what Liverpool do.

"Manchester United will spend again, Chelsea will, and everybody is putting pressure on Arsenal to spend again, so it will be tough.

"But Liverpool have got the right man in charge now and the fans are happy. You can hear how happy they are with what they're seeing."

Humbling defeat
Murphy admits he was particularly disappointed with the performance of his team on Monday night as they were beaten heavily by his former club.

The midfielder felt that the performance was not indicative of the form his team has shown this term, especially at home.

Murphy added: "A lot of us made mistakes.

"It's disappointing because since January we've been on a good run and our home form has been great.

"But we always said a top-10 finish is our aim and we've still got a good chance of that."

New deal
The club has also confirmed that academy graduate goalkeeper Neil Etheridge has put pen to paper on a contract extension until summer 2013.

The youngster, who plays his international football for the Philippines, was brought into the squad as cover on the bench as David Stockdale deputised while Mark Schwarzer was on Asian Cup duty in January with Australia.

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/final-loaner-report-51011/

Final Loaner Report 5/10/11

Filed under: General — timmyg @ 3:11 pm

Diomansy Kamara came off the bench in the 26th minute and scored a goal in Leicester City's 4-2 win over Ipswich. He ends his brief loan stint at Leicester City with 7 appearances and 2 goals.

Kagisho Dikgacoi did not dress in Crystal Palace's 3-0 loss to Nottingham Forest. A fixture in the side until they achieved safety, he appeared in 13 matches for Crystal Palace and scored one goal.

Eddie Johnson did not dress in Preston North End's 3-1 win over Watford. He made 16 appearances for PNE, registering just two assists.

Bjorn Helge Riise did not dress in Sheffield United's 4-0 loss at Swansea. He made 13 appearances for the Blades, scoring 1 goal and registering 2 assists.

Lauri Dalla Valle was an unused substitute in Bournemouth's 2-1 loss to Rochdale on Saturday. Although Bournemouth are in the playoffs, Lauri's twitter suggests he has been sent back to SW6. He made 8 appearances for the Cherries and scored two goals.

Keanu Marsh-Brown started, played 66 minutes, and scored a goal in MK Dons' 2-1 win at Oldham. Unless Marsh-Brown plays for MK Dons in the playoffs, he will have made 17 appearances for the club, scoring 2 goals and registering 2 assists.

White Noise

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/10-11/news/10027.html

Everton U18s to play Fulham

10/05/2011

In a real ding-dong U18s play-off semi-final that was even closer than that played out between Everton and Aston Villa yesterday, Fulham finally prevailed 4-1 over Sunderland on penalties. The game finished 2-2 at full time, 3-3 after extra time. Everton will play Fulham at the Reebok Stadium (Bolton) on Friday... so take the day off and go support our lads!!!

White Noise

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23948576-get-ready-for-liverpool-revival-says-danny-murphy.do

Get ready for Liverpool revival, says Danny Murphy

David Smith

10 May 2011

Danny Murphy today predicted his former club Liverpool will be challenging Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United next season.

Fulham's last home Premier League defeat was back on Boxing Day when they lost 3-1 to West Ham but they were no match for Kenny Dalglish's rampant reds last night as they crashed 5-2 at Craven Cottage.

The writing was on the wall after just 31 seconds when Maxi Rodriguez scored the quickest top-flight goal this season and the midfielder went on to claim his second hat-trick in three games.

Fulham were 3-0 down after 16 minutes against visitors who were missing both Steven Gerrard, still recovering from a groin operation and Andy Carroll, out with a bruise.

Liverpool, watched from the directors box by Harry Redknapp, have leapfrogged Tottenham into fifth place and Sunday's clash between the sides effectively becomes a play-off for entry into the Europa League.

But Murphy believes Liverpool will be aiming for a Champions League spot next term.

"At the moment they're playing under very little pressure," said Fulham's captain. "They are not having to go out and win games because nobody is expecting them to reach a certain position. It will be a different ask when players are under pressure every week if they are fighting for the top. But with Kenny in charge, and a few more additions, they'll be pushing for the top four.

"They've got young lads coming through and doing brilliantly. The full-back John Flanagan was terrific against us, Jay Spearing is a good player. Mix that with Stevie G to come back, plus some investment from the American owners, and I would imagine they will be up there.

"They are obviously competing with Manchester City who'll probably spend treble what Liverpool do. Manchester United will spend again, Chelsea will, and everybody is putting pressure on Arsenal to spend again, so it will be tough. But Liverpool have got the right man in charge now and the fans are happy. You can hear how happy they are with what they're seeing."

Indeed, by far the most noise last night emanated from the Putney End of Craven Cottage where Liverpool fans turned their stand into an awayday Kop. They were cheering almost from the off as goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and Carlos Salcido made a hash of Luis Suarez's cross and Maxi was able to pick his spot for that rapid opener.

Left-back Salcido was found wanting again in the seventh minute as Maxi latched onto a Glen Johnson cross and scored from close range. And Schwarzer committed another rare blunder nine minutes later when he allowed Dirk Kuyt's shot to spill into the net.

"A lot of us made mistakes," said Murphy, whose side are 10th in the table. "It's disappointing because since January we've been on a good run and our home form has been great. But we'll regroup. We've a big game at Birmingham on Sunday, it will be a fight up there. But we always said a top-10 finish is our aim and we've still got a good chance of that."

That view was endorsed by Mark Hughes who thought Mousa Dembele's curled goal early in the second half, laid on by substitute Bobby Zamora, might have sparked a comeback. Alas, Maxi's thunderbolt of a hat-trick clincher, plus Liverpool's fifth when Suarez rounded Schwarzer, relegated Steve Sidwell's well-struck second goal for Fulham to that of a token gesture.

"Credit to Liverpool," said Hughes. "They were excellent and we never really dealt with Suarez."

The manager revealed he resisted the temptation to tear into his team. Hughes said: "They have been fantastic for the second half of the season. We just didn't see that performance coming and we were all taken aback by how the game panned out. It certainly wasn't a case of nailing people."

White Noise

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/5/10/2164052/embarrassing-home-defeat-to-liverpool-doesnt-hide-possible-european

Embarrassing Home Defeat to Liverpool Doesn't Hide Possible European Entry

by Kristian Balkin on May 10, 2011 8:12 PM BST

It can be safely assumed that Neil Warnock and his Queens Park Rangers team celebrated well into the early hours of Sunday morning, not because of a magnificent victory or a remarkably elaborate comeback, but because the F.A confirmed, hours before their somewhat anti-climactic defeat to Leeds, that the Championship title was theirs to cherish; no strings attached.

However, it seems all the more likely that they won't be the only South West London side celebrating off field decisions this week as Fulham look set to gain a place in next year's Europa League. England sit in a confirmed second place in the European Fair Play rankings while Fulham only trail Champions League qualifiers Chelsea in the domestic equivalent. All this means, albeit unofficially so far, that Fulham should be taking the Europa League by storm for the second time in only three years. Quite the feat.

This news, however, fails to cover up the almost-chaotic defensive display that Fulham fans were made to endure in the disconcerting 5-2 defeat at the hands of Liverpool last night.

The home crowd was expectant (well, at least I was) up until the 31st second when Schwarzer dealt with a ball into the box almost as well as Emile Heskey deals with bad decisions. The Australian fumbled his clearance to an embarrassing degree and Maxi Rodriguez was left with the easiest of chances.

Glen Johnson then provided the assist for Liverpool's second goal as any hope for a Fulham fight back was diminished with another strike for Rodriguez. The Argentinian only had to get his left-footed volley on target to beat Mark Schwarzer who was indubitably on course for a rough evening.

The coarseness in Schwarzer's night only became more evident with Liverpool's third, as the goalkeeping basics absconded him and Dirk Kuyt's name found the score sheet with what is becoming characteristic simplicity. The Dutch forward has scored in each of his last five games but this was by far the easiest as Fulham's number one let a drilled shop spill shamefully through his fingers.

Manager Mark Hughes was unsurprisingly less-than-pleased and the necessity for a half time substitution only reflected his temper; Bobby Zamora finally being introduced to the chasing pack to replace a lacklustre Simon Davies. As is always the case of late, Zamora immediately dictated play and he grabbed an assist as Moussa Dembele struck the ball into the bottom corner.

That's not to say Fulham, or their fortunes, improved in the second half, however. The generally lackadaisical first half performance had not, unfortunately, been left behind and Rodriguez completed his hat trick to prove so.

Suarez added a fifth to rub salt into a wound that shouldn't be too deep for Fulham at this trivial stage in the season, before Steve Sidwell gave the remaining Cottage faithful something to cheer about with a consolation goal on 86 minutes.

Fulham rest in 10th with only a fiscally increased final-standing reward to fight for in the remaining two games at Birmingham and at home to Arsenal. 

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/05/gatesys-roundup/

Gatesy's Roundup

by gatesy on May 10, 2011

I'm not a fan of Monday Night games. The weekend seems to drag on without any proper football (for proper read as Fulham playing) and then not getting home till well past Gatesy's bedtime on Monday night. But was the wait worth it this time round?

Probably not. Still we got to see some records being made. Carragher made his 666th appearance for Liverpool and we got to see the fastest Premier League goal of the season. And to add to that we got to see some limp, lifeless defending from our lot. What more could you ask for on a Monday evening?

After the game Sparky said:

"We maybe made them look a bit better than possibly they are."

How did we do that? Going into the game Liverpool had won four from their last five and demolished Newcastle last weekend and came to the capital so confident that they left Carroll at home due to having a bruise. Though I suppose our left back setting up two of their goals and our keeper palming in the third possibly could be classed as a helping hand.

Despite an improved showing after the break when Bobby showed up it still didn't look like we worried the visitors too much. The defeat ended our run of scoring three goals a game at the cottage and stopped us equalling our best run of home wins in the Premier League to date.

It was all going on at both the top and bottom of the table. After the league being all done and dusted a few weeks ago, suddenly it wasn't again. So that lot from down the road travelled up to Old Trafford for what Sky described as the title decider. Having only dropped two points out of the last 35 they made the trip with a spring in their step only to have it knocked out of them within a minute of the whistle. Hernandez opened the scoring, and with captain Vidic scoring for the home side, they could only muster a scrappy consolation goal from Fat Frank. With Man Yoo only now needing a single point from their final two games it once again appears all over up there.

Cue talk of Ancelotti getting the boot.

Despite having the best away record in the top flight, Arsenal slumped to a 3-1 defeat to Stoke. It mathematically ended any hopes the Gunners still had of crashing the title party before a ball was kicked in Manchester, though they could still gazump the blues for second spot.

In the fight for the final Champions league spots Man City slipped up with a 2-1 defeat at Everton. Yaya Toure gave the visitors the lead before Old boy Distin and Osman made sure the points stayed at Goodison. David Silva deserved to finish on the winning side, receiving applause from everybody inside the ground on several occasions and even from the opposition gaffer too:

"We set out to try to contain Man City but it is very difficult to contain David Silva.

"I think he is as good as anyone in the Premier League at the moment."

While Spuds picked up just a point at home against Blackpool. Is it a good point for the Sea-Siders, or two dropped? With it being so tight down the bottom we might have to wait until the last balls been kicked this season to see. It's probably not great for Spuds who are now a couple of points behind Liverpool in the race for a Europa League place. Though with games against Man City tonight and a trip to Liverpool coming up its still in their hands.

Alongside Blackpool fighting for Premier League football next season, 'Stam managed a draw against fellow relegation candidates Blackburn with a late Hitzlsperger strike. All had looked so rosy for Rovers after Roberts gave them an early lead too, especially with Samba being everywhere whenever 'stam bore down on goal. Robbie Keane missed a golden opportunity to nab all three points when he muffed up a lovely chance.

The longer term picture isn't looking great for the 'ammers either, according to their chairman, David Gold:

"The fans should know though this club is in a worse financial position than any other in the country,  All the debts are football or bank debts secured on the stadium and training ground, so there is no route via administration. West Ham really is a club where the football and bank debts exceed the value of the club. "

Add that to the fact the owners can't be bothered to travel to away games and they've announced they'll let their England internationals move if/when the go down, it could be a lot of fun over in the East London slums. Still, it amuses me and I'm considering doing a Blackpool on the final day of the season...

Wigan notched up a useful point away against Villa, while in the Black Country derby Wolves walked away with the spoils beating neighbours 3-1 and moved out of the bottom three by a point. Newcastle beat Brum 2-1 and Sunderland pulled out an away win at Bolton to end a poor string of results. Zat Knights late own goal gifted them a 2-1 win and secured their Premier League place for next season.

Our Monday night mauling leaves the Whites sat in tenth place with two games left to play. It's a bit of Sunday afternoon action for us next when we pop up to the midlands and visit St Andrews for our penultimate game of the season. If all goes well we could end the campaign up in the dizzy heights of 7th and worst down to the depths of 15th place realistically. And let's not forget, every place we climb is worth £1/2m in prize money. Or perhaps Sparky'll decided to screw the cash and blood some youngsters in our remaining fixtures?

White Noise

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/05/10/One-in---one-out-at-the-Cottage/gnid-94313/

One in one out at the Cottage

by Setanta Staff , 10 May 2011   

Paris Saint Germain are being linked with Fulham's Clint Dempsey, as Mark Hughes has stepped up his interest in Pablo Daniel Osvaldo.

French Ligue 1 outfit PSG are scouring the market for a new attacking player and 28-year-old American international, Dempsey, has been mooted as a potential target following his impressive campaign at Craven Cottage.

Dempsey has scored 12 goals so far and became the first US player to score more than 10 Premier League goals in one season, while he has also broken Fulham's Premier League goalscoring record with 33 to his name.

As a result, Dempsey has attracted the interest of the Paris giants, who would have to make a sizeable offer for his signature as Hughes would be loathe to lose such a key player, who is contracted to the Cottagers until summer 2013.

Meanwhile, Hughes stepped up his own summer transfer mission by checking out £12million-rated Argentina-born Italian striker, Osvaldo, in action for Espanyol against Barcelona at the weekend.

Manchester United, Spurs and Everton have been linked to the player, but it seems Hughes is serious about making a bid for his services.

Only last week he said: "The boy Osvaldo's been flagged up for a long time and I think everybody's aware of him - he's a good player.

"But you wouldn't expect me to say too much about him because he's somebody else's player."

White Noise

Hughes confirms interest in Espanyol striker

Published 12:05 10/05/11

By MirrorFootball

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has confirmed he is interesting on bringing Pablo Osvaldo to Craven Cottage for next season.

Hughes says he has been scouting the 25-year-old Espanyol forward for some time and is thought to be preparing a summer bid for the Argentine this summer.

"We have followed the boy [Osvaldo] for a long time now and I think everyone is aware of this and we are not going to hide it," Hughes told Catalan newspaper Sport .

"I don't want to say anything else about the topic because he belongs to another club.

"He is a very good player and we will see how this matter turns out."

The Cottagers face competition for the striker from Tottenham - who have also had scouts watching Osvaldo - and Aston Villa.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-transfer-news-Mark-Hughes-confirms-interest-in-Tottenham-and-Aston-Villa-target-Espanyol-striker-Pablo-Osvaldo-report-article734136.html#ixzz1LzPShYBn

White Noise

Fulham defender Baird set for  FA charge over alleged 'V-sign'

By Sami Mokbel

Last updated at 11:03 PM on 10th May 2011

In the dock: Baird (left) to face FA charge after his 'V-sign' during defeat to Liverpool

Fulham defender Chris Baird could face FA sanctions after flicking a V-sign at referee Lee Mason.

The full-back reacted angrily after he was booked for a challenge on Dirk Kuyt during Monday's 5-2 defeat against Liverpool with FA chiefs set to investigate the incident.

Mark Hughes' side suffered their heaviest home defeat after a rampant Liverpool side scored three goals inside the opening 20 minutes.

Baird's frustration is likely to land him in hot water with the FA

However, Fulham could argue that their defender should face no action after Wayne Rooney escaped punishment for a similar gesture, during Manchester United's 2-0 win over Chelsea in which the striker is alleged to have sworn in the direction of Chelsea's travelling supporters.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1385706/Chris-Baird-set-FA-charge-V-sign-Lee-Mason.html#ixzz1Lzd6KS3G

White Noise

Deal or no deal Sparky?

By ANDREW DILLON

Published: Today

FULHAM have less than three weeks to nail Mark Hughes to a new contract — or risk losing their boss for nothing.
Sparky has a get-out clause in his current deal which makes him a free agent from June 1.

Former Wales chief Hughes and his backroom team of Eddie Niedzwiecki and Mark Bowen insisted on the clause when they took over at Craven Cottage last summer.

It is payback for them taking a significant wage cut from their time in charge at mega-rich Manchester City.

Despite Monday's 5-2 home defeat by Liverpool, Hughes has turned Fulham's season around since Christmas.

A Fulham insider said: "The public perception is that Hughes is tied to a two-year contract.

"There is an option for a further year after this but the break in service effectively makes the entire management team free to leave at the end of this month

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3573198/FULHAM-have-less-than-three-weeks-to-nail-Mark-Hughes-to-a-new-contract-or-risk-losing-their-boss-for-nothing.html#ixzz1M1HEJyF4

White Noise

Murphy salutes his old boys

By ANTONY KASTRINAKIS

Published: Today

DANNY MURPHY believes Kenny Dalglish is turning back the clock at Liverpool.

The Fulham midfielder was stunned by his former side as they ran riot at Craven Cottage on Tuesday.

Though Maxi Rodriguez grabbed a hat-trick in the 5-2 win, it was Luis Suarez's sensational showing that wowed Murphy, 34.

He said: "Some of their one-touch football was the Liverpool of old, which is obviously a good sign for their fans.

"Suarez was electric, he caused us all sorts of problems, and although you can be critical of our players, you also have to admire quality when you see it.

"It's hard to say if they will be contenders next season because they have been playing under very little pressure.

"It will be a different ask for those players to play under pressure every week if they are near the top.

"But with Kenny in charge and a few more additions they will be pushing for the top four again."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3573149/Murphy-salutes-his-old-boys.html#ixzz1M1Hc6UzC

White Noise

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/696647-american-clint-dempsey-linked-with-move-to-paris-saint-germain

Clint Dempsey: American Soccer Star Linked with Move to Paris Saint-Germain

By Tim Fontenault(Featured Columnist) on May 10, 2011 264 reads

Next Dempsey, often the talk of a big name transfer, could be on his way to Paris in the summer.

Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images Fulham's leading goalscorer and United States international Clint Dempsey could be on his way out of Craven Cottage this summer.

The Texan, who last year was linked with Italian giants AC Milan, is now reportedly drawing interest from French side Paris Saint-Germain.

PSG are a club looking to return to prominence after a couple years of success in the mid-90s when they were last league champions and reached the semifinals of the Champions League, a competition they are trying to return to for the first time since the 2004-05 season.

Dempsey's performances over the last few seasons certainly merit a move to a club with higher ambitions than Fulham.

Deuce joined the Cottagers in 2007 after three fantastic seasons at New England Revolution. Since then, he has become Fulham's all-time leading Premier League scorer and has scored some of the club's most famous goals, including an impossible angle 18-yard chip over the goalkeeper to put Fulham past Juventus in the UEFA Europa League last season. Dempsey was instrumental in the club's run to the Final against Atletico Madrid.

The problem with Fulham is that Dempsey has been their highest success in years. During his tenure, the club has normally been fighting to stay above the relegation zone just to get into the top half of the table.

With PSG sitting in a position to fight for a trip to the Champions League in the 2011-12 season, Dempsey could join the growing list of Americans playing on Champions League clubs. Oguchi Onyewu became the first in 2009 when he was used as a sub in his only ever appearance for AC Milan. If Twente buy his rights from Milan in the summer, he could be back next season. This year, Sacha Kljestan became the first American to score in the competition, doing so for Anderlecht in the Qualifying Rounds. Fellow American Maurice Edu also scored for Rangers in the Group Stage, and he will be back in the tournament next year.

PSG are aiming to buy up several players in the summer in order to boost the club for a push at their first league title since 1994. Aiming to become a force to be reckoned with on the European front, an attacking midfielder of Dempsey's ability would be an excellent addition to the club and would benefit the American, who could receive a nice pay raise and a chance to play first class football.