watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

You Can Keep Your Flippin Europa League

Started by White Noise, May 14, 2011, 08:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3579716/Hughes-Europa-venture-for-Fulham-would-be-not-Fair.html

Europa venture would be not Fair

By JAMES CLARKE

Published: Today

MARK HUGHES reckons it will be a pain if Fulham qualify for the Europa League through the Fair Play table.
They are currently second behind Chelsea who have already qualified for Europe through their Premier League position.

But if they continue their good behaviour against Birmingham tomorrow - and Arsenal in the last game of the season - they will join the first qualifying round of European football's second competition.

That will mean their season will kick off at the end of June.

Cottagers boss Hughes said: "I think it feels like a chore because of where we are this season - it's been a long one.

"You feel there's a point close to the end of the season where you are looking for a break so that you can come back refreshed.

"There's a real concern that maybe that will not be available to us if we come back at an earlier date."

Tottenham are their closest rivals for the spot now that fifth place in the league is slipping away from them.

The Fair Play ranking is based on a UEFA points system.

Teams are judged on the amount of cards they receive, for positive play and respect shown towards opponents and the officials.

Hughes added: "It's positive that you're in Europe.

"But you don't get that key time that you need to recover."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3579716/Hughes-Europa-venture-for-Fulham-would-be-not-Fair.html#ixzz1MJ9EgJ9k

Burt

He does raise a fair point.

I remember similar debates on this board as we kicked off our European journey a couple of seasons back, and there was a fair few people (me included, I think) who had reservations given the number of games it would entail relative to the size of our squad.

I think it is fair to say that as we progressed through the competition, everyone got much more wrapped up in it.

To the extent that I would love to qualify for the Europa League once more. The competition last time around gave us memories that we will take to our graves...

MrFFC

Very fair point but in my opinion with our quality the early rounds of the competition will just be like pre season games and be easy for us just like teams like Vektra were last season
Come on you Whites!! :)

MJG

Ambition.....qualifying for Europe, no matter the route, has to one of the targets a club should aim for. If you don't want to play in the europa cup say you do not wish to be entered from the start of the season.
Sounds like excuses being made already like they they were last time. If we qualify Just get on with it, do our best and see what happens.

epsomraver

Quote from: MrFFC on May 14, 2011, 10:29:15 AM
Very fair point but in my opinion with our quality the early rounds of the competition will just be like pre season games and be easy for us just like teams like Vektra were last season

As you say , very little difference between pre season and qualifiers, we could still give some regulers a rest.

finnster01

Quote from: MrFFC on May 14, 2011, 10:29:15 AM
There is no such thing as an easy Fulham game
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

epsomraver

i think this is Hughes being quoted out of context yet again by a lazy Journo.

Lighthouse

I have said the same thing about the Europa. Still far from convinced it is worth the effort. Difference is I am called all sorts of rude things but Hughes isn't. Still if it gives as a chance to use some of the youngsters early on then fine. Otherwise we really do not have a squad that can manage two out of three seasons in the Europa as well as playing in the toughest league in the world.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 14, 2011, 12:25:46 PM
I have said the same thing about the Europa. Still far from convinced it is worth the effort. Difference is I am called all sorts of rude things but Hughes isn't. Still if it gives as a chance to use some of the youngsters early on then fine. Otherwise we really do not have a squad that can manage two out of three seasons in the Europa as well as playing in the toughest league in the world.

What a #*&$

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on May 14, 2011, 12:05:50 PM
i think this is Hughes being quoted out of context yet again by a lazy Journo.

???
those comments seem fair enough to me why do you think it is lazy journo, do you know different? has he said it before, just seems a very odd thing to make up.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ImperialWhite

Completely disagree with Hughes.

Not sure I see the point of football if all we're ever aiming to do is not get relegated. It's a good season if we're in the top half. Whoop-de-f-ing-whooo. At least if we're relegated we'd have chance of bloody winning something.

oooooooooohhhh nooooooooooooo, we got into Europe, that will completely get in the way of ensuring that we stay in the ever-so exciting midtable.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

That's why I was so glad to see Hughes take the League Cup and FA Cup so seriously with squad selection - and I'm really dissappointed that he apparently doesn't feel the same about European football (and yes, this is proper European football - clubs of our size will never get into the Champions League).

BalDrick

Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 14, 2011, 12:34:57 PM
Completely disagree with Hughes.

Not sure I see the point of football if all we're ever aiming to do is not get relegated. It's a good season if we're in the top half. Whoop-de-f-ing-whooo. At least if we're relegated we'd have chance of bloody winning something.

oooooooooohhhh nooooooooooooo, we got into Europe, that will completely get in the way of ensuring that we stay in the ever-so exciting midtable.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

That's why I was so glad to see Hughes take the League Cup and FA Cup so seriously with squad selection - and I'm really dissappointed that he apparently doesn't feel the same about European football (and yes, this is proper European football - clubs of our size will never get into the Champions League).

Agree completely - albeit Hughes may well be being quoted out of context here.

But your main point is so true. WTF's the point in treading water in mid-table mediocrity, other than the financial aspect of staying on the gravy train?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Lighthouse

Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 14, 2011, 12:28:59 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on May 14, 2011, 12:25:46 PM

What a #*&$

Told you so told you, Miss, Miss he they are picking on me again.

I would have no argument with Europa football if it didn't mean so many extra games. A League then a cup knockout? It is like playing a whole season of games. Simply madness.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

epsomraver

Play the reserves in the Carlin cup then . that cuts the games down.better to go for the Europa than that competition? hang on what is the prize for winning , a place in Europe!!!  I rest my case.

FatFreddysCat

Play the ressies in the 1st round, we should hopefully still get through, then use the next round as you would a pre season friendly. Then if we get through that he should start to take it seriously. As Espom says play the ressies in the Carling cup, i'd go further and play them in the FA Cup if still in Europe.

epsomraver

Agree with the first bit Fred but I still think we should value the Fa cup as a national heritage, something the Fa have not done today by playing matches today, why could they not all play Sunday? they are next week