Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6939092,00.html

Kameni could leave Espanyol

Cameroon keeper sets clubs on alert

By Francisco Acedo and Mike Barton.   

Last Updated: May 18, 2011 7:26pm

Kameni: Admits he may be heading for Espanyol exit

Espanyol goalkeeper Carlos Kameni admits his future is unclear at the club and may look to move on.

The Cameroon internation has been linked with a move away from the Catalan club for several years, with Fulham and Malaga believed to be the latest to declare an interest in his services.

Kameni joined the Periquitos in 2004 from Le Havre as a 20-year-old, establishing himself as the club's number one and one of the best keepers in the league despite his young age.

The 27-year-old is reported to be rated at around €4million euros by his club, and the player conceded that he wanted to join an ambitious team.

Not clear

"My future is not clear, it depends on God," he said.

"I have a deal until June 2013 but some clubs are interested and I need to see the details before I decide.

"I haven't spoken to the directors but I am convinced if an offer arrives I could leave.

"If I did leave Espanyol I want to go to a club with ambition. The worst thing about Espanyol is beginning each season with the idea of just avoiding relegation."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6939022,00.html

Dikgacoi could quit Fulham

South African could quit over lack of first-team action

By Pete O'Rourke

Last Updated: May 18, 2011 4:40pm

Dikgacoi: Planning showdown talks with Hughes

Forgotten Fulham midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi plans talks with Mark Hughes to sort out his future this summer.

The South Africa international has found himself out of favour at Craven Cottage under Hughes, making just one substitute appearance.

The 26-year-old ended the season on loan at Crystal Palace after being allowed to go out in search of regular first-team football.

Dikgacoi has warned he will leave Fulham this summer if he is not guaranteed regular first-team football for next season.

"I am still a Fulham player and will be going back to them for pre-season training in June," Dikgacoi told KickOff.com.

"I will be meeting with the club when I get back to map the way forward for the future but I want to be guaranteed game time, whether it is at Fulham or any other team next season."

White Noise

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/05/18/Konchesky-could-make-Fulham-return/gnid-94950/

Konchesky could make Fulham return

by Setanta Staff , 18 May 2011   

Paul Konchesky is being tipped to return to Fulham this summer following an unsuccessful season at Liverpool.

The full-back was signed by former Cottagers chief Roy Hodgson last summer when he took over at Anfield and did feature regularly for the Reds in the first few months of the season.

However, a string of poor performances saw him lose his first-team place at Anfield and, following Hodgson's sacking in January, Konchesky was farmed out on loan to Nottingham Forest.

He has been told by new Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish he has no future at the club and has been linked with a return to Fulham as a replacement for Carlos Salcido who is thought to be keen on returning to his native Mexico.

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18052011/2/slumping-arsenal-danger-fading-oblivion.html

Slumping Arsenal in danger of fading into oblivion

Wed, 18 May 12:17:00 2011

Arsenal's customary place among the European elite is under threat as they prepare to visit Fulham on Sunday to conclude another disappointing season that once offered so much but will end without a trophy.

The Gunners will complete a sixth successive season without any silverware and their spot at European soccer's top table is no longer the formality it seemed a matter of weeks ago as they go into their last Premier League match of the campaign.

Manchester City beat Stoke on Tuesday to leapfrog Arsenal in third place and should the Londoners finish fourth, they will have to negotiate a tricky Champions League playoff in August to qualify for the lucrative group stage.

Previously that qualification has never been in doubt but Arsenal's self-belief, air of invincibility and undying faith in manager Arsene Wenger to deliver the goods have been shattered over a damaging three-month period.

Arsenal face their toughest close season since Wenger moved to north London nearly 15 years ago and there has even been some media speculation that the Frenchman might decide to leave the Emirates before the next campaign starts in August.

Arsenal supporters have done the previously unthinkable this season too -- complained to radio phone-ins about Wenger, booed him and his team and criticised the board after a 6.5 percent price hike for already expensive season tickets.

These are not settled days on the pitch or in the boardroom at The Emirates and while tangible success is tantalisingly close, it is not close enough for many supporters.

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/05/another_european_adventure.php

Another European Adventure

Posted by Phil Mison 17 hours, 55 minutes ago

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves before actual confirmation comes through, some things for Fulham fans to ponder before a second Europa League campaign.

© Reuters

Since news broke Monday of an additional place coming England's way, I've been rethinking the implications for Fulham from a more positive angle of being back in Europe, albeit that this time round might require 23 games to lift the damn trophy, up from 19 two seasons ago. Written like that, the schedule - in addition to the testing 38 game EPL programme which must always remain paramount to preserve our seat at the top table - appears to be an absurdity.
In 2009 we began the journey on the road to Hamburg on July 30th in Vilnius. This year it is likely to be one month earlier for the Whites, with the 1st qualifying round set for June 30th. That's four days after the squad is due to report back to Motspur Park for pre-season, although those internationals committed to additional appearances for their countries can expect a little leeway in returning. As the first day of a new term is normally little more than every player being weighed, issued with kit and maybe taking a very gentle jog, you can see the Whites being way under-prepared for competitive action 3 days later on what will be a hot summer's day.

In Monday night's London paper Brede was quoted as saying he really didn't feel the players were being given enough time to recharge their batteries post Arsenal. Just five weeks off after a full-on 9 month season, six months of which were spent battling relegation? Reading Hangeland's column I was sure the Europa League again was something I could live without.

Or was I being too hasty? By Tuesday I was having a change of heart and canvassing opinion among the Black & White army. It all started when I read up on the Academy's well-deserved trip of a lifetime to Mauritius. All expenses paid luxury hotel no less. Well done the club for organising that one! Next part of the equation, Sparky's juggling act of trying to keep player's happy without being able to guarantee them game time. We all know who I'm talking about. And finally, how can those on the fringes of the first team impress the boss from sitting on the bench? Plenty of names therefore who could do a job for us in those early Europa rounds - Stockdale, Briggs, Greening, Gera (were he to stay), Halliche, Etuhu, Marsh-Brown, Trotta, Senderos, Kelly, Hoesen...

Rotation on the basis of the additional game opportunities would sure make for a vibrant bunch of players. Competing in Europe also gives us more cachet in the transfer market. Wherever your workplace, people respond to being involved and valued. It's the first rule of management to creating a winning philosophy. Motivational levels at the club would go through the roof and impact right down to the U-18's. How much more of a kick do you think the club workforce behind the scenes got out of turning up for work after those heady nights of last year's march to the final? The club was making headlines on an almost daily basis. How many more 'casual' football fans do you imagine were enraptured and won over by Fulham's fairytale progress?

Finally, what really convinced me to re-evaluate my jaundiced view of the Europa League, was to revisit all the photos and fan recollections of last year's episodic achievement. We are little old Fulham for heaven's sake! We've never ever got our hands on either of the domestic cups, only once have we ever stepped out at Wembley, and actually winning the league in which we play is a foolish pipedream. Yet here we are on the brink of competing on the European stage for a second time in three seasons. When I recall standing on the bleak, half-empty terraces of awaydays at Barnet, Aldershot, Southend, Wigan...and invariably watching us lose - what in God's name am I bellyaching about? Basle, Shakhtar, Juventus, Wolfsburg, Hamburg...we did not fluke those games. We just played the better football.

Three Europa League qualifying rounds in high summer...bring it on I say! Preferable surely to friendlies with the likes of the MK Dons and Bounemouth any day. I can't promise I'll be making the journeys to distant corners of Europe just yet - bet the dedicated few who made it over to Lithuania 2 years ago for the 3-0 win over Vetra (and what a team we put out that day - Woy chose his first XI) never surely dreamt then they'd actually be going to the final.

Ah yes, Vilnius. Jumping off point for Napoleon's march on Moscow in 1812. Watch out Europe, the Whites are coming back!

Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

Why Spurs and Liverpool deserve our sympathy on Sunday

By Darren Lewis

Published 13:34 18/05/11

My sympathies to the fans of Spurs and Liverpool this weekend.

Both clubs have to go out on Sunday and give 100 per cent, knowing full well that they'd prefer the other to get the fifth spot that guarantees Europa League football next season.

Neither club wants to be in the competition. Neither club wants their squad so badly stretched next season that their chances of a tilt at the top four - or even the title - are jeopardised.

And neither club wants to cram the staggering 18 games that will lead to the Final into their already busy schedules.

And yet the spotlight will be on both the north Londoners and the Reds to ensure they are doing their utmost to attain their best possible Premier League placing on Sunday afternoon.

In other words, everyone will be watching to double check they don't throw their games.

Nobody would insult either Kenny Dalglish or Harry Redknapp by even suggesting either man would send out a group of players to do so.

Indeed, Dalglish has already made it clear that European football, whether it is Champions League or the second tier competition, is what Liverpool Football Club are all about.

But you have to feel for them with the Europa League a desperately flawed competition.

First of all, there is so little money in it it is ridiculous.

Secondly, it is a competition that rewards failure, with the dead wood from the Champions League group stages getting a second bite at the cherry as the Europa League cushions their fall.

And thirdly, the grind of playing Thursday and Sunday, with all the flying around to no-mark, far-flung, obscure footballing outposts will simply wreck preparations for important Premier League games.

Don't get me wrong. It is alright for Porto and Braga, who fought it out in last night's Europa League Final in a triumph for Portugese football. But then, that country's domestic league is nowhere near as competitive as the one in here.

Whereas next season's Premier League title race is shaping up to be one of the toughest ever, with Arsenal and Spurs set to spend, City and Liverpool resurgent and Chelsea building a team around Fernando Torres, Porto recorded a bloodless victory in the Portuguese Liga this year.

The side formerly managed by Jose Mourinho finished top, a staggering 21 points clear of second-placed Benfica with Sporting Lisbon 15 points further back.

Competitive, the Portuguese League is not.

And that's why I feel sorry for Spurs and Liverpool. Neither club can simply opt out of the Europa League.

Redknapp in particular has no wish to hang onto the fringe players that you would only keep in cold storage for games against teams with names more suited to a Scrabble board.

But they have to go through the motions. They have to make it look good on Sunday. They have to win.

I'll be fascinated to see how it pans out.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/darren-lewis/Darren-Lewis-on-Europa-League-Why-Tottenham-and-Liverpool-deserve-our-sympathy-on-Sunday-article737685.html#ixzz1MmDJBOdo

White Noise

Why Spurs should cheer up and embrace the Europa League

By Steve Stammers

Published 13:46 18/05/11

Anyone would think that the only thing worse than a place in the Europa League is one among the three teams relegated from the Premier League. Almost better to finish fifth from bottom than fifth from the top, it would seem.

The complaints about UEFA's second-tier tournament come thick and fast. Too much travel. The disruption caused by playing Thursday night and then Sunday.

Utter and complete garbage.

The chase for the premier prize, the Champions League, included clubs from Ukraine, Russia and Romania, too. Not exactly day-trip material there.

And as for the the Sunday-Thursday debate, I am afraid the argument just does not hold water.

It means a two-day break - Friday and Saturday - between matches.

In the Champions League, teams often play Wednesday and then Saturday. Unless my maths is completely awry, that is a two-day gap: Thursday and Friday.

Not too much difference there.

There is a difference between the two competitions of course. It is called money. Less television money, less sponsorship money, lower attendances. A bit like the Carling Cup of Europe.

The comparison does not end there.

Just as in the third-ranked trophy in England, there is a tendency to field weakened teams and keep your top men fresh for the Premier League. Understandable, given the stakes.

Where the English clubs who qualify for the Europa League fall short is a lack of honesty about the strength of the side they intend to field - remember the complaints that Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill had to face when he sent his reserves to Moscow?

So if it is, as seems likely now, that Tottenham will qualify, it might be as well to publicly announce ahead of next season that their policy will be to send out teams that will be less than full-strength. It will be invaluable experience for younger players and a competitive run-out for the squad's fringe players. Others coming back from injury will be able to get meaningful action.

But just make it clear to the fans what is going to happen. Just be transparent. Just forewarn them that if they decide to pay for a two-day trip to Bulgaria, it will not be the same Tottenham team they saw the previous weekend.

Provided there is an element of honesty, fans will accept it. Just be up front and there will be no complaints.

And you never know - there may be a European final at the end of it.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/steve-stammers/Tottenham-s-Harry-Redknapp-should-cheer-up-and-embrace-the-Europa-League-but-play-an-under-strength-side-to-blood-youth-Steve-Stammers-column-article737683.html#ixzz1MmDhht3E

White Noise

QPR have a Gud feeling about Eidur

Published: Today

EIDUR GUDJOHNSEN is a target for Premier League new boys QPR.

Fulham's Icelandic striker is out of contract this summer and desperate to finish his career in the Premier League.

Gudjohnsen, 32, has been on loan from Stoke at Craven Cottage since January and has settled in West London.

QPR have been eyeing Tottenham's Robbie Keane but Gudjohnsen has emerged as a cut-price alternative.

No transfer fee would be involved and he would be willing to sign a one-year deal to secure a move to Loftus Road.

Gudjohnsen took a £10,000-a-week pay cut just to play for Fulham and would not break the bank for Rangers.

They must strengthen their firepower and, though Gudjohnsen is at the tail end of his career, he has vast top-flight experience having also played for Bolton, Chelsea and Spurs.

The former Barcelona star has made 10 appearances for Fulham this season, helping them out of relegation danger and into a possible Europa League spot.

Kagisho Dikgacoi is set to leave Fulham if he is not guaranteed first-team football.

The South Africa midfielder, 26, was loaned to Crystal Palace in February and has a year left on his deal.

He said: "I want game time, whether it's at Fulham or elsewhere."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3588360/QPR-want-Eidur-Gudjohnsen.html#ixzz1MmEGBV80

White Noise

Why have Eu lost your discipline?

By PAT SHEEHAN

Published: Today

FULHAM'S bid for an unexpected European place next season could collapse under an uncharacteristic avalanche of bookings.

Mark Hughes' side have been favourites to land a Europa League spot through the UEFA Fair Play League, as they did two years ago.

In 35 matches up to and including the clash with Sunderland on April 30, Fulham picked up 40 bookings.

But, after looking odds-on to start their continental qualifying campaign in June, they have been shown TEN yellow cards in their last two games.

A club spokeswoman said: "It's just an unfortunate coincidence.

"All the management, players and staff are looking forward to the possibility of playing in Europe again."

Fulham's Norway defender Brede Hangeland could face just 14 days off because of international commitments before he is back in club action.

He said: "It is bad that if you get that Europa League spot you have to start playing games too early.

"Premier League teams play 11½ months a year. You can't ask teams to play at the time when the players should really be on the beach resting."

Fulham, the only Premier League club not to have a player sent off this season, were shown five yellows in each of their last two games against Liverpool and Birmingham.

The Fair Play table is updated monthly and points are awarded for the good behaviour of fans and sportsmanlike behaviour towards officials, as well as discipline on the pitch.

The last rankings, published at the end of April BEFORE Fulham's spate of bookings, has them behind Chelsea.

But the Blues have already qualified for the Champions League.

Spurs are also up there in the Fair Play running - although they will qualify for the Europa League automatically if they hold on to their current fifth place in the Prem table.

And relegation-threatened Blackpool are not far behind, either.

Fulham's fine behaviour in 2008-09 was rewarded by a Fair Play place - and a run to last year's Europa League final in Hamburg, where they lost 2-1 to Atletico Madrid.

[email protected]

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3588203/Fair-Play-hopefuls-Fulham-slump-on-fringe-of-Europa-League-spot.html#ixzz1MmEndBoE

White Noise

Jermain Defoe's discontent 'to spark Newcastle, Everton and Fulham bids'

Jermain Defoe's admission that he is frustrated at being cast aside by Spurs could see several Premier League clubs who are in need of strikers, including Everton, Newcastle and Fulham, launching bids to buy him this summer.

The England striker, who struggled for fitness at the beginning of the season, has failed to force his way back into Harry Redknapp's first-choice team on a regular basis.

He has netted just four goals in 21 appearances this term.

Defoe admits that while he'd love to stay at the club and be a regular, he may be forced to reconsider his options if he continues to find himself on the bench.

Fellow Londoners Fulham could perhaps be best placed to make a bid for Defoe, who is said to be keen to stay in the capital.

However, Everton and Newcastle are also both known to be on the lookout for fresh faces up front - with Defoe potentially representing one of the best available options in the country.

'I want to help the club achieve things, win trophies and get in the Champions League, but when you feel like you are working hard, training hard and being professional, and then for some reason you are not playing, it is difficult,' Defoe told Sky Sports News.

'I love the club and I still get the same buzz that I did when I first walked out at White Hart Lane, which is important.

'But for me the main thing is playing football and if I am not playing football then I am not happy, because I love my football.'

If Redknapp made the striker available for sale, it is unlikely the north Londoners would accept any bids below the estimated £16million they paid Portsmouth for Defoe in 2009.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/863652-jermain-defoes-discontent-to-spark-newcastle-everton-and-fulham-bids#ixzz1MhvItDFA

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/7547/5/exclusive-schwarzer-injury-free-zamora-will-be-massive-player-fulham

Exclusive - Schwarzer: Injury-free Zamora will be massive player for Fulham

By Nick Rostron-Pike

Wednesday, May 18

Mark Schwarzer believes Bobby Zamora will become a massive player for Fulham if he can stay injury free.

The England striker suffered a horrific broken fibula back in September against Wolves and has only recently returned to the team.

Now the Cottagers stopper has backed the former West Ham forward to continue his good form into next season.

"
I hope he can continue the form he's showed. If he stays injury free, he'll be a massive player for Fulham
"

Mark Schwarzer
Speaking to the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show, Schwarzer said: "It's always concern when someone breaks a leg or a ankle as was the case with Bobby [Zamora].

"I think in his first full start though he scored two goals against Blackpool and he's a vitally important player to the side.

"I hope he can continue the form he's showed. If he stays injury free, he'll be a massive player for Fulham."

When asked about his season with the Cottagers, Schwarzer said: "If we can finish off the season well we've still got a chance of finishing seventh.

"We want to finish as high as possible and emulate what we did two seasons, when we finished seventh.

"It will equal our record position and be a great achievement."

White Noise

Senderos on Arsenal

Wednesday 18th May 2011

Philippe Senderos is turning into something of a lucky charm for Fulham since his return from a long term Achilles injury sustained last summer following his move to Craven Cottage from Arsenal.

The Swiss international has made two starts in recent weeks, playing an integral role in away victories over Sunderland and Birmingham that have fired Fulham into eighth place in the Barclays Premier League table.

Senderos has made a strong case for his inclusion this weekend after his impressive performance at St. Andrews last weekend, and the former Arsenal defender feels he has nothing to prove to his former colleagues after switching to SW6 last summer.

"I don't think I have anything to prove, I had some great years at Arsenal," Senderos told fulhamfc.com. "I won the title, the Cup and made the Champions League Final.

"There are some great things to look back on when I've finished with football. You always have a lot of competition at a club like Arsenal and before my contract finished there I went on loan to AC Milan.

"I owe a lot to Arsenal and Arsene Wenger, who brought me over from Switzerland to play in the Champions League for one of the best clubs in the world.

"So I don't have anything to prove but I'd like to prove to myself that I can play in the Premiership. That's my personal goal so I'm really pleased that I'm back at full fitness and back in contention – if I can get another game before the end of the season it's a bonus."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/SenderosArsenalPreview.aspx#ixzz1MhoTdQbF

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/19/premier-league-finances-black-hole?CMP=twt_gu

Record income but record losses for Premier LeagueIn his annual analysis of Premier League finances our award-winning writer looks into the game's black hole

David Conn guardian.co.uk, Thursday 19 May 2011 01.15 BST

Randy Lerner, Aston Villa's US owner, struggles to compete with clubs whose commercial income and potential is greater than his own. Photograph: Nick Potts/PA Archive/PA

The Premier League's 20 clubs collectively lost close to half a billion pounds last year despite making record income, a Guardian analysis of their most recent accounts has revealed. In the 2009-10 financial year, the clubs currently in the Premier League made total revenues of £2.1bn, principally from their billion-pound TV deals and the world's most expensive tickets. Yet 16 of the 20 clubs made losses, totalling a record £484m, and the same number relied on funding from their wealthy owners.

Since the owners took over their clubs, they have put in a staggering £2.3bn, by way of loans or for shares, mostly to pay ever-escalating players' wages and transfer fees. The Premier League's total wage bill in 2009-10 was £1.4bn, an average £70m per club, accounting for an average 68% of the clubs' income, once Arsenal's exceptional profit from selling flats in the old Highbury stadium is discounted.

This picture of Premier League clubs making fortunes in the gilded bubble of national and worldwide popularity, but failing to control players' wages, making huge losses and relying on owners, poses a major question about whether they can reform in time to meet Uefa's financial fair-play rules. Clubs will be permitted to record losses of only €45m (£39.7m) altogether over the three seasons from 2011-12 to 2013-14, and cannot rely on owners' subsidies, if Uefa is to sanction their participation in European competitions.

CLICK HERE FOR TABLES AND STATS - http://scr.bi/iFhFcf

All the clubs in the top seven made substantial losses except Arsenal, whose record income of £382m, and £56m profit, were swollen by £156m made from the Highbury development. By far the biggest loss was at Manchester City, where Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi put his dynastic oil millions into bankrolling a £121m deficit from signing and paying the galactic wages of players who could lead City to trophies. Across Manchester, United made £286m turnover, more than any other club if Arsenal's property income is discounted – yet the costs and interest on the debts the Glazer family have loaded on to the club, pushed United into a losing £79m.

Double winners in 2009-10, Chelsea, whose owner Roman Abramovich is always cited as a supporter of financial fair play, made the next biggest loss, £78m. Tottenham's successful push for Champions League qualification was achieved with a £7m loss and £15m investment from the owners, principally Bahamas-based currency speculator, Joe Lewis. Aston Villa lost £38m as the club's US owner, Randy Lerner, struggles to compete with clubs whose commercial income and potential is much greater than Villa's. Liverpool made revenues of £185m, more than double that of Villa, yet lost £20m, in the last full season owned by Tom Hicks and George Gillett, who had borrowed £200m to buy Liverpool then made the club responsible for paying their interest.

Even among the four clubs which avoided making losses, only one, Wolverhampton Wanderers, did so by making a substantial, convincing
profit. Arsenal's remarkable-looking £56m profit was hugely boosted by the club's £156m income from the Highbury apartment sales, and Arsenal moved into making a £6m loss in the six months from May to November last year.
Of the other non loss-making clubs, Birmingham City's profit was very small, and the club is now considered the Premier League's major financial headache, struggling with a cash shortfall which could tip into crisis if Birmingham fall into relegation this weekend. West Bromwich Albion, considered a soundly-run club resigned to a habitual yo-yo existence, made a small £500,000 profit in 2009-10, when they were in the Championship, not the Premier League.

Wolves' £9m profit stands out among all 20 clubs, yet it was made in the first season up from the Championship with new Premier League TV income pouring into Molineux. The Wolves owner, Steve Morgan, believes he can crack the challenge of establishing the club in the Premier League while not taking excessive financial risks.

Yet the overall losses on this scale, £484m in total, and net debts of £2.5bn, £400m more than the clubs' total turnover, do not in fact mean the 20 clubs are mostly in financial difficulties. Most of the losses are soaked up by huge financial contributions from club owners whose wealth looks more stable than has been true of the Premier League in the recent past.

The four clubs not bankrolled by owners were Arsenal, whose shareholders last month pocketed a combined £243m selling to Stan Kroenke, but never put a penny into the club itself, West Bromwich Albion, Everton and Manchester United. The Glazer family's ownership has cost United around £350m in interest, fees, loans to the family themselves and bank charges since 2005, and they have never put money into the club. In the year to June 30 2010, United paid £42m interest on the £500m loans the Glazer family originally took out to buy the club in the first place, and just refinancing that debt, replacing the loans with a bond, cost United an eyewatering £65m, cash.

The Glazers, though, are the exceptions in causing money to be taken out of their club, particularly with Hicks and Gillett, the other US "leveraged buyout" practitioners, forced out of Anfield. Most owners have put huge finance in, yet one of the most extraordinary aspects of this subsidy is how small a proportion of it has financed anything permanent, whether stadium-building or other club infrastructure. Almost all the stadiums were already built or refurbished when the current generation of owners bought the clubs. So the overwhelming proportion of the £2.3bn the owners have contributed has gone on paying transfer fees, superstar wages and other expenses, beyond what the clubs could otherwise afford.

At Manchester City, the prime example, Sheikh Mansour's investment is up to £493m in less than three years. City have improved the Carrington training ground, built a new office block and made other relatively inexpensive improvements, but the Eastlands stadium was already built, with £132m public and lottery money, well before Mansour bought the club. Most of Mansour's half a billion has been spent paying the transfer fees and near £10m-a-year wages each for players such as Carlos Tevez, Yaya Touré, David Silva and the others City would never have been able to afford without Mansour's patronage.

While Mansour, Abramovich, Lerner and Fulham's Mohamed Al Fayed, whose loans to Fulham increased to £187m, are high-profile figures, subsidies from less prominent owners are nevertheless huge. Peter Coates' family, who own online gambling company bet365, have invested £43m in Stoke City, US private equity investor Ellis Short £47m in Sunderland and the little-known, Isle of Man-based Edwin Davies has taken to £85m his financial ballast of Bolton Wanderers, whose loss last year was £35m.

The figures illustrate the multiple challenges facing Premier League clubs to comply with financial fair play. Clubs must not only stop paying players and their agents continually inflating wages which were already incomprehensible years ago to most of the world's population. Fans are concerned, particularly in England, that Uefa's sensible principle that clubs should rely on income, not owners, will have the unintended consequence of leading to increased ticket prices.

That has already happened at Arsenal, and this week Liverpool, owned by John Henry's Fenway Sports Group, announced 6.5% ticket price rises, to the club's loyal, generally not wealthy fanbase who must live in the real world, where there is a recession going on.

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/spurs-eye-cottage-target-1215205.html?

Spurs eye Cottage target

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is reportedly set to offer £14m to Espanyol for Fulham target, Argentine-born striker Pablo Osvaldo.
Cottagers boss Mark Hughes recently refused to rule himself out of the running for the 25-year-old's signature when the transfer market opens this summer.

Hughes said: "The boy Osvaldo's been flagged up for a long time and I think everybody's aware of him - he's a good player."

However, it looks like he will face a real battle to land Osvaldo as Redknapp is said to be ready to offer the striker a four-and-a-half-year deal worth £65,000 a week to try and persuade him to come to England ahead of a move to Craven Cottage and Espanyol's La Liga rivals Atletico Madrid.

The men from the Spanish capital's second team have set the ball rolling with an offer of £11million for Osvaldo, but that is thought to fall way short of what Espanyol, who have decided to cash in on the player, want for him.

Osvaldo's agent, Dario Decoud, has hinted that his player, who holds an Italian passport and would not need a work permit, fancies a crack at the Premier League and that would leave Spurs and Fulham leading the race as both clubs look set to have Europa League football on offer for next season.

WhiteJC

Three Days To Go

There are just three days to go until the Early Bird deadline for 2011/12 Season Tickets expires at midnight on Sunday 22nd May.

Season Tickets are currently available from just £329 for adults, £95 for juniors and FREE* for under 8s.

These amazing prices cannot last forever so make sure you act fast to ensure that you don't miss out on Barclays Premier League football at the Cottage next season.

Yesterday saw a number of new Season Ticket seats released which are selling quickly; you can check availability by logging into our online Season Ticket page. You will also be able to find details of our flat rate Instalment Plan, designed to help you cover the cost of supporting your team.

Buy Today

*Only available in A, AL, K, KL blocks and can only be booked at the time of purchase of a full price adult ticket. To book, call 0843 208 1234 (option 3). Not available online

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/ThreeDaysToGo.aspx?#ixzz1MnswkSjM

WhiteJC

Birmingham City: Aleksandr Hleb injury spells the end

ALEKSANDR Hleb's season is over as he requires knee surgery after the injury sustained against Fulham.

Hleb was cynically tripped by Eidur Gudjohnsen and had to hobble off, forcing Blues to play the remaining 11 minutes with ten men as they had used all their substitutes.

Checks later revealed he had suffered ligament damage and so his loan spell from Barcelona comes to an end in unsatisfactory circumstances, both for the player and club.

Hleb had only recently battled back from a knee injury that kept him out of the Carling Cup final, and before that tore his hamstring.

Thus Blues have only really seen his mercurial talent fleetingly.

Hleb made it clear a few weeks ago that he would be seeking another club after his loan from Barcelona expires at the end of the month, but insisted he would still fight to the very end on Blues' behalf this campaign.

It means that Alex McLeish goes into Sunday's final match of the campaign at Spurs with another option lost to him.

Lee Bowyer (hamstring) and Stuart Parnaby (groin) are also doubtful after coming off during the 2-0 defeat by the Cottagers. Martin Jiranek was substituted too due to an ankle knock.

Cameron Jerome failed a fitness test and was unable to figure and he is having intensive treatment on a heel problem in a bid to return at White Hart Lane.

He missed the club's annual awards dinner on Monday because he was in London receiving specialist help.

David Bentley is ineligible to face his parent club under the terms of his loan agreement.

But Craig Gardner and Liam Ridgewell both return for Blues in the must-win match after completing suspensions.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/birmingham-city-fc/birmingham-city-fc-news/2011/05/19/birmingham-city-aleksandr-hleb-injury-spells-the-end-97319-28720757/2/#ixzz1MntRsbe3

WhiteJC

Weekend Travel Update

Supporters attending Sunday's match against Arsenal at the Cottage should be aware of transport disruptions on the day of the game.

On the District Line there will be no service on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 May between Putney Bridge and Wimbledon.

It is recommended that supporters using the tube allow extra time for their journey. Supporters are advised to check the TfL website before they travel.

Bus replacement services:

Service D: between Wimbledon and Putney Bridge, calling at Wimbledon Park, Southfields and East Putney.

Service E: between Wimbledon and Putney Bridge.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/WeekendTravelUpdateFulhamvArsenal.aspx?#ixzz1MntlsNUq

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/nothing-to-prove-to-gunners-senderos-1215206.html?

Nothing to prove to Gunners - Senderos

Philippe Senderos is hoping to feature in Fulham's final game against former club Arsenal on Sunday, claiming he has nothing to prove.
The 26-year-old Switzerland international has recently made a full recovery from a long-term Achilles injury which had sidelined him since shortly after he made the move across London from the Emirates Stadium to Craven Cottage last summer.

Having now returned to the first-team fold, Senderos is keen to show Cottagers boss Mark Hughes he was right to sign him which is why he would like to earn another run-out in Sunday's final game of the current Premier League campaign against his old employers.

Senderos told the official site: "I don't think I have anything to prove, I had some great years at Arsenal.

"I won the title, the cup and made the Champions League final.

"I owe a lot to Arsenal and Arsene Wenger, who brought me over from Switzerland to play in the Champions League for one of the best clubs in the world.

"So I don't have anything to prove but I'd like to prove to myself that I can play in the Premiership.

"That's my personal goal, so I'm really pleased that I'm back to full fitness and back in contention - if I get another game before the end of the season it's a bonus."

WhiteJC

Legends Unveiled

Football 40 can today unveil a list of 70 Legends who have confirmed they will participate in the London Legends Cup which brings together some of the greatest icons to have graced the English game.

A staggering list from A-Z, from Ossie Ardiles to Gianfranco Zola, will be on show in the new 20-minute each half Football 40 format, Fulham taking on Chelsea and Arsenal facing Spurs for the right to play in the Final and win a major Legends trophy for their respective club.

Fulham fans can look forward to seeing a host of former famous players that have graced the Cottage in years gone by, including Geoff Horsfield, Andy Melville the Club's former player and manager, Chris Coleman. Roy Hodgson makes a return to SW6 to manage the Fulham Legends team.

Fulham's opponents Chelsea have a team packed full of former international stars, including captain Gianfranco Zola, who will team up with former Chelsea strike partner Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. Chelsea's squad features a host of well known players, such as Pat Nevin, Kerry Dixon, Tore Andre Flo, Jody Morris, Frank Sinclair and Jason Cundy. From the dugout Chelsea will be managed by Tommy Docherty  with Capital Radio's Johnny Vaughan assisting him.

Arsenal's high calibre participating Legends include Paul Merson, Tony Woodcock, Ray Parlour, Viv Anderson, Kenny Sansom, Nigel Winterburn, and Graham Rix. Arsenal's North London rivals, Spurs, will reunite Ricky Villa and Ossiee Ardiles. Pat Jennings is making a sentimental appearance with Euro Cup Final penalty save hero Tony Parks, and Ian Walker is on call along with Graham Roberts, Paul Miller, Darren Anderton, Paul Walsh, Tony Galvin and Gerry Armstrong.

Former England manager Glenn Hoddle is Football 40's Technical Director and Tournament Director ahead of this inaugural London event, which takes place on Sunday May 29th (KO 3pm).

It must be arguably the greatest collection of Legends ever gathered at one place at one time for one full scale 11-aside competitive tournament. For all the latest information please visit www.football40.com.

Watch the London Legends Cup in style by booking your VIP seat for £60. The VIP ticket includes directors' area seating, lounge access and the chance to meet some of the legends on show.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/LegendsRevealed.aspx?#ixzz1MnuH5Hkg