watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

End of Season Thoughts (Warning LONG!)

Started by Ordar, May 23, 2011, 11:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

Summary:- Its been a surprisingly positive season, surprising mainly because of all the problems we have had. Hodgson leaving, the seemingly endless wait to pick a manager, the Jol courting and fruitless saga, finally persuading Sparky that we do have ambitions, but leaving him no time to put his stamp on the team or bring many players in. Then of course the decimation of our forward line to injuries.

And after a few scares around Christmas culminating with that awful West Ham result (the performance wasnt actually that bad) we finish in our second highest league position in history, and possibly another trip into Europe. Surely more than anybody could have hoped for this season, especially with all the teams around us improving. And we have done all of this playing much better football, scoring more goals, and winning back to back away games (I for one think the away day hoodoos are firmly behind us). Unbelievable to think that we had 20 odd shots on goal, away from home (at Brum).

Games:- Some outstanding team performances this year, Spurs FA Cup will probably be most peoples choice for our best performance, but I personally would suggest the Bolton home (league) game was even better. Easily the best football I've seen the team produce in the last 15 odd years. Brum away obviously gets a mention aswell. Its been so refreshing to witness the team going out and trying to win away, granted we drew alot of away games, but the performances have mainly been really good, Man City, Spurs and Liverpool were all great performances, none of which we won.

Style:- As I mentioned, some of the football we've played has really been outstanding, especially towards the end of the season. Granted we've taken a couple of beatings, Man City and Liverpool, but I for one am totally willing to sacrifice that for a much more pleasing on the eye style of play, and actually trying to win away! It will be interesting to see how Hughes develops the team for next season, with the benefit of the whole summer to work with the players.

Hughes:- I was delighted when we got him, and always preferred him over Jol. Had little chance to put his stamp on the team early on, then got very unlucky with injuries. Any team who loses its best 2 strikers for the majority of the season is bound to struggle. But even at our lowest point, we were still grinding out results. We're an exciting team to watch, and can only see us improving. Just need to tie him down! He's always said the right things, and seems happy enough here.

Quality Signings:- Dembele will only keep getting better, but looks a steal at £5mil. Salcido, who is often unfairly criticised has been fine but looks to be going. Sidwell, my god, to all those people who were writing him off before he'd kicked a ball, I told you so. He has been brilliant, and is the genuine box to box midfielder we havent had for ages. Gudjohnson has come in and done a good job, a couple brilliant performances, I for one would like to keep him. We only really need a couple full backs in the summer, the rest of the squad is good, get rid of the dead wood. 

Squad Overview:-

Schwarzer - Been a bit hit and miss. Brilliant saves coupled with a few errors and terrible distribution. Still an amazing goalkeeper though.

Stockdale - Personally feel he should be tried as #1 next year. Was harsh on him to lose his place. Made some quality saves, and seems like a nice guy. Would be a bit worried about him being poached.

Baird - Been brilliant out of position at RB, rarely has a bad game. Will always respect him for working hard and waiting for his chance. 2 amazing goals at Stoke!

Pantsil - Some massive mistakes, and 5 OG's tell its own story. He's a great guy, but is a liability. Will be sad to see him go, but we can do better.

Hangeland - Brilliant as normal, and I'm sure we face another transfer window of uncertainty as to if we can hang on to him.

Hughes - Reliable, definitely not a RB though. Will be interesting to see if Sparky goes for Aaron or Senderos for next season.

Senderos - Not had alot of game time, but has done ok saying he was out for so long. Having 3 CB's of quality (plus Baird as utility) is such a nice position to be in.

Salcido - Still looks a bit shaky defensively, but not done anywhere near as badly as people make out. Looks like he may well leave.

Briggs - Asked to play in some massive games, done fairly well. Tough to ask him to come in against quality teams after not having played for ages. Will be interesting to see if he'll make it.

Dempsey - Really stepped up when we needed him. I'm usually over critical of him regarding his falling over and speculative efforts, but he gives everything and offers a real threat.

Davies - Limited opportunities but never let us down. Had a couple blinding games towards the end of the season.

Duff - Bit of an injury hit season, similar to Davies in that he played amazing in a few games. Just so many wide options now

Dembele - Totally different to every other player we have. Oozes class, but sometimes lacks a final product. Still young and will get even better.

Greening - Very limited opportunities and I thought he was on his way out, but played exceptional in the last 2 games. Couple assists, and could even push for a starting place. Never thought I'd type that. Definitely more suited to the wide left role he played at WBA.

Murphy - Still so important to how we play. Captains the team well, class act.

Sidwell - In my view our best signing. Really like Sidwell, looks a complete player, and will score more goals next season and breaks up play superbly well.

Etuhu - Some great performances at the beginning of the season, but just doesnt have Sidwell's quality. Has been a beast when he's come on as a sub.

Zamora - Boy how we missed him. I still believe we would have beaten Atletico had he been fully fit. Wouldnt be that surprised if we got offers for him. Genuine world class striker. Hopefully can get him fully fit for next season.

AJ - Another one we've missed. Criticised for lack of goals, but has got better and better since returning. My MoM against Arsenal where he was superb. Really dont want him sold, the goals will come.

Gudjohnson - Flashes of quality, another different option for up front. Very unlucky not to score against Bolton when he was superb

The leavers - Kakuta was frankly disappointing, especially after all the hype. Pantsil will always be one of my favourite players but too many key mistakes. Gera has never produced a good performance in the league, and has likely cost us a Europa spot. Unlike many I will not shed any tears over their departures.

Future:- Priority 1, sort out Hughes contract! The it will be interesting to see how much money Al Fayed gives him. We're definitely looking for a few quality players rather than quantity.

If we're just looking at premiership players, I would go for:

RB - Corluka
LB - Warnock
CM - Barton (Yes he's a thug... but Sidwell + Barton = win)
WG - Wright-Phillips (just for some pace!)

I would imagine we've seen the last of: Pantsil, Gera, Salcido, Riise, Dikgacoi, Kamara, EJ, Kakuta, Halliche, Kelly.

Anyways we've come to the end. Sorry for the long read. Would be good to hear other peoples views, and roll on next season, and (hopefully) another European adventure! COYW!

clint23

I agree somewhere like 80% with you, long but good read, but, why do you think Barton would leave Newcastle for us?

Ordar

Well I would think Barton would see us as a step up. I suppose it depends what Newcastle do over the summer ambition wise. Its likely they'll lose Enrique and Tiote, and will struggle next year without a proper goalscorer.

I suppose instead of Barton theres always Hitzlsperger. Obviously players like Parker will be going to bigger clubs. (because that worked out so well for Parker at Chelski!)

Who would you bring in?

F(f)CUK

This season has been our third best points total (I think) and our second best finishing position in the premiership.  Despite this, I still feel disappointed because I think it could have been so much better without injuries etc.  Having said that I am pleased to not have been included in that last day scramble.

It also shows the difference 9pts (just three wins) over the course of the season can make.

Burt

A good read, Mr Ordar sir.

I agree with the overall summary - it has been a good season, I am sure all of us would have settled for 8th at the start of the season.

And it has been achieved in the face of a significant transition in management and back-room staff, along with injuries, changes to the squad, etc.

Biggest disappointment for me was the FA Cup exit to Bolton. I really thought we had a good cup run in us this season.

Ordar

Just seen that we've conceeded the joint 4th least goals in the league, and joint fewest away goals! Imagine if we start scoring away!

clint23

HatterDon

Great review, sir. And it has done what all articles of this sort should do: It has sparked discussion.

I agree that this has been a good season for us overall. I'm really looking forward to next season and the infusion of more "Mark Hughes players".
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jarv

Hitzlsperger or Ohara, maybe OHara because of his age. (and probably wages).

Scott Parker! First choice but with Dell boy 'arry sniffing around probably not going to happen.

Andy_M

I agree, great review.
I too was very happy when we got Hughes instead of Jol as manager, I had wanted and touted Hughes to be our manager from the day Hodgson left, who now would choose Jol over Hughes? Not many I suggest.
I think bar the Liverpool and West Ham performances it has been a very good season, full of brilliant preformances even in games that we didn't win. Hughes style is a lot more pleasing to watch than Hodgson's brand of what I like to call "effective football".
Ultimately I'm very happy with the season and Hughes HAS to be given a new contract ASAP! I can't wait to see what he could do with our team given a full summer in the transfer market and the extra time to put his stamp well and truely on this team.
@got_maile

PokerMatt

Quote from: Bogdan23 on May 23, 2011, 12:49:35 PM
Quote from: Ordar on May 23, 2011, 11:33:51 AM

Who would you bring in?

Hitzlsperger, O'hara, Brunt

Agree with all three of those. Or either of Brunt, O'Hara if not both.

Hitzlsperger and Parker were IMMENSE when together for West Ham, and he would give us so much competition. O'Hara is a younger Murphy, would slot in and replace him over time. Brunt tore us to pieces earlier in the season (not for the first time) in the more central role, where I think he's at his best. Though an excellent option out wide as well.

That would sort the midfield.

As much as I love AJ, I feel we need a similar pacey, good finisher instead of him to work with Zamora. AJ just doesn't score as many as he should do, and with Zamora more of a hold-up player who chips in with a share, we need a true goalscorer alongside.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Vinnieffc

Agree with most of that but definitely NOT SWP ! He's fast but a bit of a headless chicken..

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Vinnieffc on May 23, 2011, 03:29:32 PM
Agree with most of that but definitely NOT SWP ! He's fast but a bit of a headless chicken..
A richer version of Ulenbeek. Great write up Ordar  :54:

LBNo11

...thank you for the most welcome contribution Ordar; an enjoyable read and interesting to see an others interpretations of the season and players performances.

I won't bore you with my thoughts, apart from to agree that stating the obvious we need pace (with control and finish) as well as back up/competition for major positions, but SWP, am I missing something? Fast yes but so is Usain Bolt , and Bolt probably has a better end product to his distribution. I can't help feeling that SWP is famous for being famous (and having a famous step-dad). But again, thanks for the post...

:047:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC